[The Lab] My Review of the Oneplus 9 pro

1. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 29, 2021

KaranRIyer , Mar 29, 2021 :
    Waiting for these..... Would be nice to know how the phone captures them in actual....

Bouncer71 likes this.
  2. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 29, 2021

KaranRIyer , Mar 29, 2021 :
    Great shots.. wonderful pictures..

3. Kurt_Paris
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 29, 2021

Kurt_Paris , Mar 29, 2021 :
    Working on it :)

KaranRIyer likes this.
  4. jlasensiofi
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 29, 2021

Bouncer71, Kurt_Paris and KaranRIyer like this.
  5. maarten_lisboa
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Mar 30, 2021

maarten_lisboa , via OnePlus 8T , Mar 30, 2021 :
    @Kurt_Paris, excellent work. Was looking forward to the camera part and wasn't disappointed. Great pictures, very clear explanations as well. I indeed remember the "bigger sensor" talks in Hamburg. I agree on it and I am happy as well its not all about a race for most mp or biggest zoom.
    Looks like the right way indeed to get to most quality out of a picture.

6. shahi14323
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 30, 2021

7. Suchindra77
    Froyo Apr 1, 2021

8. Kurt_Paris
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 1, 2021

Kurt_Paris , Apr 1, 2021 :
    What's nice is that the files from the OP9 pro - especially when you are using the main sensor in RAW is that they can take a lot of editing. There is a lot of detail in the highlights and shadows - much more than many other phones' files that i've played with. this is really useful too

maarten_lisboa likes this.
  9. Kurt_Paris
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 3, 2021

Stickied Post
    Kurt_Paris , Apr 3, 2021 :
    2,000 Photos later & Unedited samples

Having used this phone as my primary driver for a few days now, i am getting used to some of the strengths and quirks of the camera system. By far, my favourite part of it is the responsiveness of the camera - you click, it shoots, no delay - happiness.

In general i'm quite happy with the overall quality you can achieve from the phone - i also had the opportunity to play with it head-to-head with an S21 Ultra. In my unscientific opinion, the S21 Ultra has more capable hardware, and especially when it comes to detail the images i saw with it had that little bit more... but, but the user interface, and the 'wow' editing baked out of the box into the photos is questionable.

Whilst pro mode is a very usable feature, and one of the strong points of the phone's camera experience, i found that the auto/default photo mode has become my go to. One thing i've really gotten used to as i used the OP9 pro is that if i open the camera, point, click - the result is pretty much what i was expecting - and this builds trust. I know that i have enough detail in the shots that i can tweak as i want in Lightroom (and i do for most files) but out of the box i think OP really nailed the 'look' of the photos. I would have probably preferred a bit less sharpening, especially in some portraits and i really wish OP would introduce the 'silky water' mode i had on my Huawei phone

To also address a gap in my review, here are some photos that are completely untouched (Full res images can be found here: https://www.kurtparis.com/blog/2021/3/28/oneplus-9-pro-my-review)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021

superplus, J.e.F, tobias14 and 2 others like this.
  10. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 4, 2021

Dunnow , Apr 4, 2021 :
    So OnePlus selected an actual photographer who had already participated in a camera OEF to showcase their collab with Hasselblad and now he's a "random monkey"?

I'm pretty sure that if you behave like this on the forums you won't get anywhere. And I speak from actual experience, let me give you some advice. Chill out, respect people and their work, both OP staff that makes the lab an actual thing every year as well as the lab participants, whose only crime was to be selected for something you just wanted.

Maybe, like me, if you actually change your attitude and showcase some worth to the community people will start rooting for you.

Att, Dunnow (Someone who actually has been selected for a few things around here)

PD: @Crystal Z. make sure this dude never gets into the lab, obviously, he doesn't deserve it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021

Kurt_Paris and McJader like this.
  11. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 4, 2021

Dunnow likes this.
  12. Kurt_Paris
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 4, 2021

Kurt_Paris , Apr 4, 2021 :

Its.Leandroo likes this.
  13. Kurt_Paris
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 9, 2021 at 9:56 AM

14. TheOnePlusLife