[The Lab] NeVeR SeTTLe's OnePlus 6 Review

1. Sun90
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert May 27, 2018

Last edited: May 27, 2018

Punk_69, RJBoss, Android450 and 5 others like this.
  2. Mjo
    Marshmallow May 27, 2018

Mjo , May 27, 2018 :
    the pom poms are exclusive for someone :p

RJBoss, Alvie, Shivang Joshi and 3 others like this.
  3. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 27, 2018

Stickied Post
    NeVeR_SeTTLe , May 27, 2018 :
    DESIGN

In the red corner, standing 155 mm tall (6.2 in), weighing in at 176 grams (0.1kg), the flagship killer! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When looking at this heavyweight champion at first glance, I notice straight away that this flagship is made with an all body glass which uses Corning Gorilla Glass 5. What comes to mind when we speak about glass? Ohh a variety of words like fingerprint magnet, fragile, weak, shatterable, protection and I can go on and on.
    On the other side of things, an all glass body on a smart phone is what we call nowadays elegance and prestigious. It makes the device feel premium and I do admit that. When I took the device in my hand for the very first time, I had a euphoria feeling which can only be described as stunning.

[​IMG]

Let’s take a closer look at the OnePlus 6 and how it presents in the design language to us.
    The edges are curvy and a bit rounded with very minimal thin bezels. There is an aluminum frame that encompasses the OnePlus 6 body. On the left side, you will find a SIM tray and volume rockers

[​IMG]

On the right side you will find the Alert Slider (on previous OnePlus devices, the Alert Slider was found on the left side) and the Power switch.

[​IMG]

On the top, you will find a noise canceling microphone.

[​IMG]

On the bottom, you will find a microphone jack (still there) and only a one speaker (wished it had dual speakers)

[​IMG]

On the back, there is a dual camera setup and a flash and underneath them a fingerprint sensor

[​IMG]

On the front, there is only one thing that stands out and that is (can you guess) – THE NOTCH!

[​IMG]

The display of the OnePlus 6 is just ideal for me. The resolution is 1080x2280 but even at this resolution when other flagship phones are coming with Quad HD displays, the display is crisp, bright even at the lowest settings and a pleasure to watch Full HD videos on YouTube. This photo that I took of viewing a picture was set at brightness level 35%

[​IMG]

As I wrote in my unboxing review, the glass is so reflective I can see myself in it. In outdoors when the sun is hitting my phone at a certain angle, it tends to blind some people :D:D Joking aside, there is some eye strain if you look at it directly when the sun hits it.

OnePlus has made a bold move to switch up their design on the OnePlus 6 using all glass instead of Grade-A Aluminum Alloy. I must say that the design is gorgeous, eye catching and all that sugar sweet coating that comes after it. The only thing I personally have a hiccup on is glass and the notch.

And here is why.

I had a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge which was made out of Corning Gorilla Glass 4. I decided to go nude with this phone as it was the first phone which was made out of all glass and wanted to show that puppy off. Unfortunately, one day, my hands were sweaty and I picked out my phone from my pocket and as soon as I did it slipped through my fingers falling flat on its back and hitting the concrete. All I heard was a crack. I picked it up and the glass on the front was ok, but the glass on the back was shattered completely. Getting back to the OnePlus 6, which I mentioned uses Corning Gorilla Glass 5, I believe if I had an accident like that which I mentioned above, it would completely shatter. The good side is that there are cases and tempered glasses that can be used to protect our heavyweight champions ;)
    The second problem I have is with the notch. I see why OnePlus wanted to include the notch. The first reason is because it’s becoming extremely popular to have this design flaw (I have to call it that, there is no other way of calling it out) and second reason is because OnePlus wanted to maximize the screen to body ratio, letting users enjoy the screen. The second is a valid reason but OnePlus could've used another design in which the notch would be even smaller than the one they have now and located more at the edges of the screen which will be less visible to the user. There is always a bright side to the notch – after a couple of days you slowly get used to it as I did. Should I get used to it or should I have options? Of course I want options! That is where OnePlus decided to give user's a chance to hide the Notch. All you have to do is go into Settings --> Display --> Notch --> Turn it off :D Even though you turn it off, the notch is still visible during the day, so it's not really turned off, unfortunately.

In summary, the heavyweight champion pulls in to the ring slowly. Will the flagship killer prove to us that it’s a GO or only for SHOW?

UPDATE:
    Observation #1
    : The more I am using the phone I noticed that in the top left corner where the notifications tend to be kept, I couldn't see how many notifications I have received. The only way to view it is to pull the quick settings down and expand it. This is a pain for me as I have to pull the quick settings down every time I want to see how many notifications I have received in a couple of hours or so.
    Observation #2: This is a small nuisance to me but still bothers me. When opening up any browser and looking through the Internet, if you try to expand the quick settings by placing your finger under the notch, it will expand the quick settings but the Internet page you are viewing will be taken back like if you were trying to open up another tab. I am used to with my OnePlus 3T to just swipe from the middle but had to adjust my placement of my finger to swipe down from either the left or ride side to access quick settings.
    Observation #3: I know some people who like the notch and definitely want to make the best out of it. I got good news for you. You can go into Settings --> Display --> Apps Display in Full Screen and pick click on every app that you want to view it full screen. Those notch haters, you can do the same but pick the option to not display the Apps full screen and then you won't see the ugly notch. Easy solution to give users options.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018

4. RJBoss
    The Showcase Reviewer May 28, 2018

RJBoss , May 28, 2018 :
    Haha. Thank me later? ;)

Erm, I'm so sorry I overlooked your quote. I didn't get time to remove that. While on the App, I actually did, but guess it stucked right there?
    Glad the "Mod" did the unfinished work xD

So sorry once again, @NeVeR_SeTTLe.

5. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert May 28, 2018

Bouncer71 , May 28, 2018 :
    Nicely written again...

let's see how it keeps up in the speed round...

i guess there won't be any Ring Girls...?

;D

NeVeR_SeTTLe and Shivang Joshi like this.
  6. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 28, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , May 28, 2018 :
    LoL! Ring girls? Hmmm that's a pretty neat idea ;) I will think about what I can do with these girls ;)

7. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert May 28, 2018

Bouncer71 , May 28, 2018 :
    erm...?
    they walk around the Ring with a sign, introducing the next round...
    ;D

8. iNtEnSePL
    KitKat May 28, 2018

iNtEnSePL , May 28, 2018 :
    cam test of course ;) especially low light shots are welcome ;) Hopefully OP6 will do well to catch all details ;)

9. Jeet77
    Jelly Bean May 28, 2018

10. NeVeR_SeTTLe

I was thinking more like where can I get these girls for my next pictures :D

Shivang Joshi, Jeet77 and Bouncer71 like this.
  11. NeVeR_SeTTLe

A photo shootout ;) Interesting... will think about it ;)

Shivang Joshi and Bouncer71 like this.
  12. NeVeR_SeTTLe

Shivang Joshi and Bouncer71 like this.
  13. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow May 28, 2018

14. Bollux
    Gingerbread May 28, 2018

15. NeVeR_SeTTLe

16. iNtEnSePL
    KitKat May 28, 2018

iNtEnSePL , May 28, 2018 :
    But this time, not the different cameras (just like everyone does), just different subjects. A blonde, a redhead, and a brunette ;)

17. NeVeR_SeTTLe

I'm doing the OnePlus 6 Review but there are topics which I and the rest of the reviewer's have to do and these are:

1. Unboxing
    2. Design
    3. Performance
    4. Camera
    5. OS
    6. Conclusion

18. NeVeR_SeTTLe

I'll see if my girlfriend wants to pose ;)

19. iNtEnSePL
    KitKat May 28, 2018

20. OnePlusEleventyThree
    Froyo May 28, 2018

OnePlusEleventyThree , May 28, 2018 :
    In all fairness to OnePlus though, the boxes for most brands and models of phone really aren't all that exciting. iPhones for example all pretty much come in the same type of box for all their models aswell. (but I don't really care) it's the phones that I use, not the boxes. So I'd be more worried if the device was rubbish. (the box for me, pretty soon will end up in the rubbish!) :D

(...Well, in the recycling probably, but you know what I mean) haha.

NeVeR_SeTTLe likes this.