[The Lab] NeVeR SeTTLe's OnePlus 6 Review

1. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 30, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , May 30, 2018 :
    It only comes in comparison to the OnePlus 3T :)

2. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat May 30, 2018

Akhshay Srinivasan , May 30, 2018 :
    Hah ! Am I really backward about it ? Why is it so ?

NeVeR_SeTTLe likes this.
  3. NeVeR_SeTTLe

Why did I compare the OnePlus 3T and the OnePlus 6, that is what you want to know?

4. OnePlusEleventyThree
    Froyo May 30, 2018

OnePlusEleventyThree , May 30, 2018 :
    What does the box from the Avengers edition look like?

Shivang Joshi and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  5. Shivang Joshi
    The Lab Reviewer - OPPO Find N May 30, 2018

Shivang Joshi , May 30, 2018 :
    Here you go ;)

1527676823818.jpg

6. BobbyV8_
    The Lab² Reviewer - Insta360 GO 2 Writers' Club May 30, 2018

BobbyV8_ , May 30, 2018 :
    Because you only have a 3T and 6, obviously.

7. NeVeR_SeTTLe

Yeah, but wanted to also reach out the OnePlus 3T owners who are still deciding whether or not to make the move to the OnePlus 6. :)

8. BobbyV8_

I know you think about me a lot, but don't show it out in public :p

9. NeVeR_SeTTLe

You could show it in public too!!! :( You don't love me anymore and you know how I know?? Cause in your signature you have Heidi!!! I should be there !!!!! :p

10. BobbyV8_

You know why you're not there in my sig? Coz you're in my heart. How can you be at two places at the same time!?

11. NeVeR_SeTTLe

Oh don't give me this BS! :p Heidi is in your heart and on here!! :p I'm not talking to you anymore, you want to talk to me, let's take it to WH :p

12. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat May 30, 2018

That's implied bruh ! But, willn't others require 6 ? lol.....

Why it's specifically to only 3T owners ?

Grrrrrr..... :p

G_plusone and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  13. NeVeR_SeTTLe

It could be to other users who own a OnePlus 5/5T but I see no reason for switching your phone in 6 months or 1 year.

14. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat May 30, 2018

Ah ! That's the point. This is why OnePlus has placed you as Op 6 reviewer :)

Thank you bruh ! Way to go :)

G_plusone and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  15. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 31, 2018

Stickied Post
    NeVeR_SeTTLe , May 31, 2018 :
    OXYGEN OS

I remember back in 2014, when OnePlus announced in the community forums that they are creating their own Operating System because things with CyanogenMod got a little shaky. CyanogenMod was at that time a very popular Custom ROM OS which gave users the freedom to modify every bit of the OS to one’s liking. CyanogenMod and OnePlus made a deal together in order to bring OnePlus users a customized version that users would love. Together they succeeded but not for long.

OnePlus had to think of something quick in order to continue the flow of things for their next flagship which was the OnePlus 2. On the OnePlus 2, OnePlus’s new Operating System called Oxygen OS was at first glance good. It was missing a few features that all the other flagships had but overall I gave it a score of 9/10. The system was light, almost bare bone, not too much customizations in it and a pleasure to cruise around in.

Slowly but surely, OnePlus was working hard on their Oxygen OS through 2015 till now and what we have now is a totally new and redesigned Oxygen OS compared to the older versions of it. So what changed in OnePlus’s Oxygen OS on the OnePlus 6 and would I still recommend Oxygen to other users? Let’s dive in. :)

The biggest change to come to the OnePlus 6 is the notch. We either love it or hate it but you can’t deny the fact that it’s there. With the notch in place, things got shifted around in Oxygen OS. The clock is now on the top left corner instead of the right. There is no battery percentage icon anymore (OnePlus promises us to bring this back with an update). The other change is that the notch prevents the user from seeing all notifications and icons on the status bar. Check out the pictures below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Personally, I am not a big fan of this because I have to pull down the quick settings in order to see all my notifications. For those of you who hate the notch as I do, you can hide it to not be that visible.

[​IMG]

OnePlus implemented a very smart feature which I gives users some options regarding the visibility of the notch. If you go to Settings --> Display --> Notch --> Full screen, then you can pick out if you want to see apps full screen or not. What does this mean? Well it means if you set an app to full screen you will make the notch visible when an app is opened. If you don’t make it full screen, then you will not see the notch while the app is opened. Simple. I love this feature because it provides users a choice. :)

The other change that users waited so long for and thought this would be implemented on the OnePlus 5T is treble support. With treble support, updating Oxygen OS is a breeze. I received an OTA update on my OnePlus 6 for bug fixes and performance stability and when the update was complete I rebooted my phone which I saw that I have to enter my pin that I setup with the phone in order to access the Recovery so that the update would complete. I like the idea of this because if someone steals your phone, the first thing they might do is go to recovery and factory reset the phone in which it gives the thief entrance into your phone. So security on the OnePlus 6 is suited up.

While continuing to check out Oxygen OS and its new features, I saw that an Earphone Mode is included. You probably guess what this is for because it’s self-explanatory but let me just touch briefly upon it. When going into Earphone Mode, I can choose options for wireless and wired earphones (another great move by OnePlus for giving user’s options). I love the “auto play” feature in which resumes the music you were listening to before when you connect your earphones.
    I noticed two of my favorite features being renamed. The first feature needs no introduction and that is Dash Charge (renamed to Fast Charge). When you hook up your OnePlus 6 with the charging cable, you will notice it says “Charging Rapidly” instead of “Dash Charging” like on previous OnePlus devices. There might be a software update in the future to change the wording on past devices as OnePlus had to rename this technology. The other feature that changed in name is Ambient Display (it’s called Lift-up Display). No new features were added to them, just the name change.

Some screenshots I took of Oxygen OS on the OnePlus 6:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see from the screenshots, not that much changed in terms of design. The only things that were added were just the things I mentioned above. Maybe in the upcoming OTA updates, OnePlus will surprise us and add more new features and design elements. :D
    Moving away from Android Oreo, I installed the Beta P Project on my OnePlus 6 to get a feel of how Android P runs. The first thing I noticed is that the design has been revamped. I feel that this time around OnePlus took some elements from the material design and added a couple of their own and mixed them together. See for yourself:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’m not a big fan of the design as I like the previous iterations better. On the other hand, a design refresh was and is needed. I don’t think that this design is the final design going forward. Skimming through Oxygen OS, apart from the design, there are things absent like the Lift-Up Display, the notch settings, no themes and Gestures even though there is a category for it but nothing in it. The Settings menu is much cleaner and categories are much more grouped than on previous Oxygen OS. You have on the top of the Settings Menu a visible “Search Settings” instead of a magnifying glass icon. When going into a certain category I can see that in almost every category, they have an “Advanced” category with more features.
    Overall, the performance of Android P Beta is awesome. I would say the performance is slightly better than on Android O.

In summary, Oxygen OS presents itself as a nice, clean, lightweight Operating System without any problems. Once Android P is more refined and polished, it will continue to be one of the best systems out there. The only thing I would like for OnePlus to change is their OS design. It is truly needed.

Last edited: May 31, 2018

BobbyV8_, hennes, Jacob_DK and 9 others like this.
  16. T1527102103669
    Cupcake May 31, 2018

T1527102103669 , May 31, 2018 :
    Hi,
    Auto start of few applications is not happening in one plus 6. once i close the app I will not get notification unless i open it. Is there any settings changes that I need to do.

17. NeVeR_SeTTLe

What do you mean exactly?

18. T1527102103669
    Cupcake May 31, 2018

T1527102103669 , May 31, 2018 :
    once i open an app and close it, the same will not open unless i explicitly open it. example i dont get email notification unless inopen it.

19. NeVeR_SeTTLe

I get notifications from any app. Check the apps settings. For example, I use Outlook, so I had to go into settings and check that I want notifications to get every email. You can also go into Settings --> Notifications to see if you have set the apps you want to receive notifications. The last thing that you should check is Settings --> Battery --> Battery Optimisation --> Advanced Optimisation and make sure this is turned off.

20. T1527102103669
    Cupcake May 31, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe likes this.