[The Lab²] Oclean X Pro Elite - Brush smarter (?) - A review by manuel19

1. manuel19
    The Lab² - Oclean X Pro Elite Reviewer Nov 19, 2021

manuel19 , Nov 19, 2021 :
    header_2_1.png

Update 11.01.2022: Unfortunately, my toothbrush stopped working this morning. I've tried all I could, but no chance, it appears to be dead :( . Even worse, I've seen other people online talking about the same thing. I'll get in contact with Oclean to hopefully get this resolved but I wanted you to be aware to maybe hold off buying it, with an issue like this existing. Which is even more unfortunate, because it is a quite nice toothbrush..

Hello and welcome to my The Lab² review!

About 13 months ago, I told you about my experiences with the OnePlus 8T.

This time, I won’t be talking about a phone, but something else instead. A toothbrush! A smart toothbrush to be accurate!

Whaaaaaaat? OnePlus has released a toothbrush??? :O

No, it’s not made by OnePlus. It’s from Oclean. And it’s the Oclean X Pro Elite. Kinda funny name, no? :D

Alright first of all, I’ve been using an electric toothbrush for several years now. It’s no fancy-schmancy smart toothbrush, just an as basic as can be electric toothbrush, with a rotating head, that costs around 20€ currently, from my quick google search. It looks like this:

Did I ever look for an upgrade? Well, definitely. See, the worst thing about this old toothbrush is it’s battery life and lack of battery indicator. You never know how much it’s charged, which is why I am charging it 24/7 (except while I am using it). Taking it with you on a longer trip so you can clean your teeth once before you arrive where you’re heading? Should be fine. Not sleeping at home that night, so you’d need it twice? Quite the gamble. Staying somewhere over the weekend? Absolutely no chance. You never know how much battery is left, which is why I took the charger everywhere, which is quite annoying to be honest. Regarding this, another let down was not having some kind of travel case to put it with you. The only thing I really liked about it was the fact it was able to use any of the Oral-B toothbrush heads, which have a really wide-spread product portfolio and you can find them almost everywhere here.

My girlfriend got a new electric toothbrush last year and it came with all the things I needed. Battery indicator. At least week-long battery life. A case for easier travelling. But the design wasn’t that compelling to me and as I figured it would also only brush my teeth, I came to the conclusion it was not worth an upgrade.

Now with The Lab², looking for reviewers for a smart toothbrush, I was interested to see how this would compare to what I was used to. How much of an upgrade there would be. If it’d be the same kind of “wow”-effect when I was using an electric toothbrush for the first time. If you haven't used an electric toothbrush yet, I think you should definitely try it. It’s incredible. You need so much less effort and your teeth will still be much cleaner. It really is a no-brainer to me.

But enough of the introduction already. You’re here for the product, no?

Unboxing

Exactly 1 week ahead of my birthday (I’d say that counts as an early birthday present, no?), it arrived. A quite damaged package saying ‘Oclean’ and the company's logo.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Fortunately, the box inside was just fine. And quite small.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside, there was another box. :O

[​IMG]

Opening that, you get your first look on the toothbrush on the left. On the right, there is a user manual and if you take that out, you see the wireless charger.

[​IMG]

Under the wireless charger, you’ll find the magnetic wall-mount.

[​IMG]

On the wireless charger, there’s some kind of rubber on top to hold the toothbrush in place, which you can easily remove.

[​IMG]

Speaking of which, according to Oclean, the wireless charger is also able to charge up your phone. Obviously only if your phone supports wireless charging. I personally don’t use wireless charging, except for my toothbrush, but that’s still pretty nice2have. But what’s even cooler is that you should be able to use any Qi charger to charge up the toothbrush as well! Means in theory, you should be able to charge up the toothbrush with your OnePlus 9 Series Device or OnePlus 8 Pro with reverse wireless charging (or whatever modern Android phone you’re using). So you only need to take your phone and phone charger with you, no extra charger needed, which I absolutely love! I’ll definitely test that and let you know how it went! ;)

While we’re speaking about charging already, Oclean claims that under regular usage, the toothbrush’s battery would last for about 35 days on a single charge. That sounds absolutely ridiculous to me and I can’t wait to try that out either. I will share my personal experiences about these with you in part 2 of the review, which should be coming next week.

But back to the unboxing.

And on to the most important thing, the Oclean X Pro Elite.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First impressions? Looks really clean! (No pun intended)

The toothbrush’s color is the Pantone color of the year 2021: Ultimate Grey, and comes with a “frosted ash” finish. It looks and feels very nice and premium in hand. Also very natural looking, which is great for a toothbrush that only sits (or hangs) in its place most of the day.

The bristles are very shiny and do also look very good.

Before anything else, I set up the wall mount. Does indeed look fantastic, doesn’t it?

[​IMG]

Now, on to setting up the toothbrush and using it, so I can share my experiences with you next week. Hope you enjoyed the unboxing, keep your teeth healthy and see you soon! ;)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022

2. manuel19
    The Lab² - Oclean X Pro Elite Reviewer Dec 23, 2021

Stickied Post
    manuel19 , Dec 23, 2021 :
    Part 2

Hey there friends, how have you been doing? :) Unfortunately, it has taken me a little bit longer to finish my review than I wanted. However, that also had its advantages, as it allowed me to get a more in-depth look into the product and strengthen my thoughts about it.

But enough said. Let’s get into it already. And I'll start right where I ended it last time. Setting up the toothbrush.

The App

As you probably already expected, you need to download an App to connect the toothbrush with. The App is available on the Apple App Store as well as the Google Play Store.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I haven’t tried if you can use the toothbrush without connecting it to the App. I’d personally hope so, and as there's a 'skip' button on the brush, it makes me think it should be possible. There’s probably lots of people out there that just want to use the toothbrush, without connecting it to another device. Even though it technically doesn’t really make sense to buy a smart toothbrush to use without the smart features. :D

Obviously, I wanted to try the smart features. I’ve used a ‘dumb’ electric toothbrush for years. I want to know if these features improve my brushing habits or turn out to be a useless gimmick. So I downloaded the App and created an account.

With that being done, I found myself on the main screen of the app. Which said that currently there’s no toothbrush connected, and when clicking on my account in the top left, I found out that you’re able to change the wallpaper of the app to another of some pre-set options.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Personally speaking, I don’t like any of these wallpapers. The photos themselves look good and clean. But a wallpaper in an app? It makes the app feel outdated to me personally. There doesn’t seem to be an option to disable it completely and just have a white/black background. But that’s just my 2 cents and nothing that bothers me too much.

Afterwards, I started connecting the toothbrush, which was pretty straightforward. When the app recognizes the connected toothbrush, it starts some kind of ‘survey’, to determine the status of your oral health, and pushes a custom brushing plan on to the toothbrush, that should help you clean your teeth more efficiently.

That process was quite interesting (and funny). You can later re-do this with the feature ‘smart-push’. These are the options you can choose from:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I’d say it’s pretty in-depth. There are quite a lot of options to choose from. Also they’re pretty easy to understand. Didn’t really expect this at all, really like this feature.

If you don’t like this smart-plan, you can select one out of a few other pre-set options, such as (standard/strong/super) cleaning, (strong/super/newbie) whitening and some other options I don’t find that useful to me, like ‘teeth spa’, braces cleaning, or gum care cleaning. But the options are there, and it’s definitely nice to have so many options to choose from.

And if you still haven’t found an option you like, you can create your own, customized program. There you have the option to set up “steps”, where each step has a mode (Clean/ Whitening/ Massage/ Sensitive), a duration (from 5 seconds up to 4 minutes) and an intensity for the mode (The brush has 32 intensity levels by the way!). You can select up to 6 of these steps to build your customized plan. It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

The toothbrush also gives a subtle vibration every 30 seconds, or when one step is done, so you know it’s time to move to the next one.

After your done with the brushing, no matter which of these modes you use, the brush will give you a score from 0-100 to show you how effective your brushing has been, with a score and an icon resembling your teeth, that shows where your cleaning has been effective (white area) and where you haven’t brushed that well.

[​IMG]

If you synchronize the App with your toothbrush later, you can see a more in-depth analysis of your brushing. Showing you where you’ve brushed for how long, your pressure, etc.
    [​IMG]

This all sounds pretty great right? Let me tell you it’s not perfect, as you’d probably expect. There’s also some downsides the app has.

First, with the pre-set plans, you can view how to use them, but some steps or plans seem not that well explained to me.
    [​IMG]

Personally, maybe it’s the images that confuse the hell out of me or English not being my native language, but for steps 1-4 it seems to all be the ‘bottom’ area? It really confused me a lot about how to properly use it, as the plan also said ‘cheek side’ and not top or bottom. I thought that maybe it actually means both? But if that’s the case I think 30 seconds are not enough at all? So yea, that really confused me, but maybe that’s just me 😅

Because it confused me that much, I created a custom plan so I would know how to properly brush my teeth. But that led me to my next problem: If you’ve set up a custom plan, you can’t see your in-depth analysis in the app. Seems pretty reasonless to me, as all the app does is show your effective brushing time - pressure and the areas you’ve brushed and how long. And the brush itself shows you the areas after brushing. So it doesn’t seem logical to me as to how the other 2 (pressure and total effective time) aren’t recorded as well.

[​IMG]

After this, I just set the toothbrush to regular cleaning, a middle strong intensity and a time that fits me personally well - 3 minutes.

Anyways, the analysis itself has got me asking. Pressure: Middle - Am I doing it right, or wrong? The hint says the pressure should not be too high or too low. But what is it now? Less would be low I assume. More might be too high already? Personally while brushing, I feel that more pressure might make the bristles move less, so it feels like I’m doing it right - but the App doesn’t really tell me whether I am doing it right or wrong. Or I just don’t understand. An indication what one could do better would definitely be very welcome.

Another thing that confused me - the App would tell me there’s an update to my Elite X Pro. But that update explicitly said to only install it on the model Y3X. After a while of it not disappearing, I figured why not, gotta do it as part of my review. So I updated it. It was updated, rebooted. And the app.. still told me there was an update. The same update. Yet my toothbrush said that this is the currently installed firmware version.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

So yea.. Pretty confusing😅 Regarding the warning, my device has functioned without an issue since then.. And I still see that same update notice. Something that definitely feels like it should be fixed.

There’s definitely room for improvement. But as that’s only software, it’s possible and I’d definitely be happy to see some improvements happening. Something I personally really like about the App as well is something called “Oclean Library”, that is kind of a blog, with articles from oclean about how to keep your teeth healthy. It adds a nice personal touch and is very cool to read.
    [​IMG]

The toothbrush

Alright but what if you don’t want to use the app? Or don’t have your phone with you in the bathroom and you want to clean your teeth differently? As I’ve already shown on some photos, the Oclean X Pro Elite features a screen. And it’s not an ordinary screen, no. It actually is a touchscreen!

If you ‘boot up’ the toothbrush, which takes like 2-4 seconds, you’re greeted with the name of the mode you have currently activated and the intensity. For me that looks like this:

[​IMG]

On the touchscreen, you can swipe up and down for different options. The options on this ‘main menu’ are as follows:
    • Mode (Clean, Sensitive, Massage, White)

• Intensity (1-32 for clean, 1-3 for Sensitive and 1-4 for the others)

• Duration (2:00, 2:30, 3:00 minute options as far as I’ve seen)

• About (general information about the device)
    You confirm an action by pressing the button. The screen is quite bright and the colors imo look really well.

As already mentioned, it also shows you your brushing result after brushing which I like the most, since I don’t need to open an app to see it. A perfect example of where someone was aware of the problem with the flow of most smart toothbrushes. No one wants to check an app constantly. The detection itself is not perfect, as it detects zones wrong sometimes, but it mostly works fine and it’s a nice indication for what areas you have to work on.

The brushing experience

As mentioned, I’ve used a toothbrush with a rotating head before. Now an ultrasonic. How’s it different?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This shows you a little bit. :D Does it make much of a difference? Well, quite a bit. It kinda feels like having to re-learn brushing my teeth because of the different behavior of the brush. Which is not bad, just something I had to adapt to. Which one is better at cleaning my teeth? I would say it doesn’t make much difference, actually. They’re pretty much even, but sometimes it feels like the Oclean X Pro Elite is able to clean my interdentals better than my old Oral-B toothbrush. But even then, it’s still not good enough to skip flossing your teeth, children! :D Overall, both of these keep my teeth much cleaner than regular hand-brushing and your teeth will feel much cleaner using an electric toothbrush.

Additionally, something you can’t see from these gifs, the Oclean X Pro Elite is advertised to be super quiet! Is it that different? Let me show you:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

That’s a HUGE difference! The Oclean X Pro Elite was around 10-20 decibels - which the app I downloaded calls “breathing” while my old toothbrush was around 60-75 decibels - “conversation”. What does that difference sound like? Well, a difference of 10 db is about twice as loud for our human ear. So this difference of, let's say 40db, is about 2^4 times as loud. Aka, 16 times as loud! But still, does that really matter? Well, I have a Nest Audio in my bathroom, and when I was listening to music, with my old toothbrush it was 2-3 minutes of not knowing what the hell was playing. With the Oclean X Pro Elite, I am easily able to listen to music while brushing my teeth. It’s also way more relaxing for the ears in the evening & in the morning, not having to hear those super loud rumbling noises my old toothbrush made. Something that didn’t bother me too much before, but now that I have it, I think I can’t ever go back to a toothbrush as loud as my old one.

Charging & battery life

I regularly get a day of battery life and with warp cha… Oh wait! We aren’t talking about a phone! :O Nevertheless, battery life can be quite important on a toothbrush! ;)

As I said, my old toothbrush had terrible battery life. Which you can deal with, at home, as the toothbrush can sit on it’s charger the whole day. But taking your toothbrush somewhere, you always have to take the charger with you. My Oral-B charger has also been quite bulky. The charger for the Oclean X Pro Elite at least is very slim and super lightweight already. But Oclean promises other ways of charging as well. More specifically, Oclean claims you can charge the X Pro Elite with any Qi wireless charger. To me, that sounded like I should be able to charge the toothbrush with my phone's reverse wireless charging feature. Unfortunately, that didn’t work for me on my OnePlus 9 and I don’t have a wireless charger, so I wasn’t able to test this any further. But, the toothbrushes charger is able to charge my 9 wirelessly. Just very slow. :D For the toothbrush itself, it was rather quick. I have no idea how long charging my old toothbrush took, as it had no battery indicator. But my girlfriend’s toothbrush takes like a full day or night + a little bit more. Quite a while. The X Pro Elite charged in like 3-4 hours every time I charged it. which was only twice since I have gotten the toothbrush. Which leads me to my absolute favorite aspect of this toothbrush. The battery life.

Yes, you read that right. I only needed to charge the toothbrush twice since I’ve gotten it. According to the reviewers guide, the Oclean X Pro Elite has a battery life of up to 35 days, when brushing two times a day, 2 minutes each, on intensity 16 (middle). On intensity 1 it can even last up to 45 days on a single charge. For me, I used intensity 19-24 most of the time and brushed two times a day for 3 minutes (and a little bit extra) each. So I expected it to be a little less than the estimated 35 days, since I’ve used it more than 50% more. It lasted me around 15-20 days. Maybe a little bit more, I didn’t keep track of it that well, but that’s exactly what makes it so perfect: You never have to worry about it! Kinda the same as for my miband. When battery life is so good, you don’t have to worry about it, it truly shines. Also thanks to the battery indicator on the ‘home screen’ you always know how much you have left or when you have to consider charging it again. Really really nice, absolutely loving the battery life. Didn’t know battery life on a toothbrush could be THAT good!

I have also taken it with me for a few days when visiting my parents and didn’t have to take my charger with me. Quite revolutionary to me personally haha. Something small, but so nice2have.

conclusion and final words

So in the end, is a smart toothbrush really that much better than a ‘dumb’ one? Hard to say. Really. Because the smart features are exactly what I expected them to be, gimmicky. I barely opened the app to see how well I brushed. But, I really like the direct feedback on the brush’s display after brushing my teeth. It gives me the information I need, directly when I need it. Which makes me think, this makes the Oclean X Pro Elite a better smart toothbrush than others, as with them you have to use an app.

But that’s not all that matters. Because even without the smart features - this toothbrush is fantastic. I absolutely love it. The timeless & elegant look, the magnetic wall mount, the super silent brushing experience and most importantly the incredible battery life, make this the perfect toothbrush for me personally and I’d say it’s the best you can get in a toothbrush.

And that’s it! I hope you enjoyed reading my review of the Oclean X Pro Elite Smart toothbrush. If you have any questions, please ask and I will gladly respond! :)

Last but not least, I wanted to say thank you OnePlus for The Lab², and thank you Oclean for teaming up with OnePlus and providing toothbrushes for this community to review. It’s been quite interesting to review and deeply test a tech-product like this, that’s not a phone. :D

Praty_28, Liehjan and Tokolozi like this.
  3. pinkhelmet
    Gingerbread Nov 23, 2021

pinkhelmet , via OnePlus Nord 2 , Nov 23, 2021 :
    I was always intrigued about how an electric toothbrush would feel to someone who's never used it before. Would it really perform like a regular toothbrush would? If you press the brush a little to your teeth, would the motor be able to maintain the spin?(assuming it spins).

Will wait for deep review and explanations.

4. Oclean
    The Lab² partner brand Nov 23, 2021

Oclean , Nov 23, 2021 :
    Hi Manuel. Thank you so much for sharing your user experience, it is a lens for us to get closer to the users.

Yes, as you realized, with the battery indicator and long battery life(you can also get a travel case on our official site), Oclean is super user-friendly and convenient to use compares to an electric toothbrush that doesn't include a screen(most of the traditional e-toothbrush).

As an oral care company, Oclean values innovation and user experience a lot, that's what you can see in our product.

In all, thank you for your unboxing and we are looking for an in-depth review later!

5. S1599112582517
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 23, 2021

manuel19 and G_plusone like this.
  6. Harshit R.
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Nov 23, 2021

Harshit R. , via OnePlus Nord 2 , Nov 23, 2021 :
    Wow!
    You created the suspense like TV shows😂

Is Oclean X Pro Elite solves all the problems with Electric toothbrush or not?
    What happened with Oclean X Pro Elite? To find out wait for my 2nd part of this review next week.

I really loved your reviewing style.

7. Liehjan
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Community Expert Nov 23, 2021

8. haildarkseid
    Gingerbread Nov 23, 2021

9. Navdeep_Malik
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus TV U1S Writers' Club Nov 23, 2021

Navdeep_Malik , Nov 23, 2021 :
    The name certainly is fancy! Well most thing with X Pro Elite in their name has to be, my guess 🙃
    Enjoying the review very much! 🙂

10. G_plusone
    Nougat Nov 23, 2021

11. manuel19
    The Lab² - Oclean X Pro Elite Reviewer Nov 23, 2021

manuel19 , via OnePlus 9 , Nov 23, 2021 :
    It's quite differen I would say. But in a good way! Much easier. You don't need to move your hand that much, only move the brush's head along your teeth and they will get much cleaner than by hand. And a little pressure won't stop an electric toothbrush from working. You need quite a lot of pressure to make that happen 😄

pinkhelmet and Navdeep_Malik like this.
  12. manuel19

Thank you for the kind words and I will definitely be looking for that travel case! :)

WakeAwake likes this.
  13. manuel19

14. manuel19

Thank you all! :) :) :)

15. Ondrewdry
    Eclair Nov 23, 2021

manuel19 likes this.
  16. Teamspirit
    Honeycomb Nov 23, 2021

manuel19 likes this.
  17. Leah L.
    Community Intern Staff Member Nov 24, 2021

18. Sravanmj
    Froyo Nov 24, 2021

manuel19 likes this.
  19. Sravankumarjangam
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Nov 24, 2021

manuel19 likes this.
  20. McJader
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Writers' Club Nov 24, 2021

McJader , Nov 24, 2021 :
    Ah yes, if something is made easier, it's made for the lazy.

21. Tokolozi
    The Lab Reviewer - OPPO Find N Nov 24, 2021

Tokolozi , Nov 24, 2021 :
    All technology is for lazy people. Back In the day everything needed hard work and skill to be done properly.... you employed your dentist regularly to pull teeth and fill holes. Nowadays the youth only cares about pretty smiles and mouthwashes....