[THE LAB] OnePlus 10 Pro: Not Quite There Yet.

1. asifshadeslayer
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 10 Pro 5G May 9, 2022

asifshadeslayer , May 9, 2022 :
    [​IMG]

Greetings to everyone in the Community. I know it has been quite a while but my initial impression regarding the OnePlus 10 Pro 5G is finally here. I think I can safely say that this just might be the longest time between a device’s launch and it’s first impressions by a Lab Reviewer. There was a logistical issue which delayed the package delivery and I want to extend my gratitude to the one and only @Daniel D. for making sure that the device made its way to me no matter what.

Unboxing

[​IMG]

I was delighted to find out that I’d been sent the reviewer’s kit which made the unboxing experience all the more unique.

[​IMG]

Tearing the outer package, a sleek box greets you which is in OnePlus red with OnePlus branded in the middle and Hasselblad’s name at the bottom edge.

[​IMG]

The box felt smooth to the touch and was surprisingly hefty despite not looking that way. When lifting the box from the sides, the bottom part slid out with a satisfying feel.

[​IMG]

I was immediately greeted by the OnePlus 10 Pro retail box which was nestled snugly within the larger box.

[​IMG]

Taking it out, there was a small picture right below it which turned out to be much larger once I pulled a tab that revealed the bottom compartment.

[​IMG]

A stunning picture captured on the OnePlus 10 Pro sits in a 12”x 8” frame. It also had a foldable stand on the back to prop it up wherever you'd like (I have it in my bedroom).

[​IMG]

Lifting that up, there's an even smaller compartment which contains two additional cases for the OnePlus 10 Pro.

[​IMG]

A black Sandstone Bumper Case which feels great in hand (evoking a feeling similar to the OnePlus One) and a Quantum Photography Bumper Case which looks outstanding and a tad futuristic. They give the OnePlus 10 Pro a choice between formal and informal wear.

[​IMG]

Moving on to the main attraction. The box for the OnePlus 10 Pro is smaller compared to its predecessors but still retains the signature look and feel.

[​IMG]

Upon lifting the cover, you get a thin case containing all the documents, the SIM card ejection pin and some stickers along with a protective case for the phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The case is in a color palette similar to the phone and feels soft to the touch with 'Never Settle' printed along the right side.

[​IMG]

After that, we get to the OnePlus 10 Pro, below which are the 80W SUPERVOOC charger and USB A to USB C charging cable in signature OnePlus red.

[​IMG]

It was immensely satisfying to unbox and examine each product included in the reviewers' kit.
    Overall, the unboxing experience was delightful. Well done team OnePlus.

Last edited: May 8, 2022

2. asifshadeslayer

Stickied Post
    Design
    The OnePlus 10 Pro looks amazing. Period.

[​IMG]

From the beautiful 6.7” AMOLED panel at the front to the etched matte green back, the phone looks every bit as premium as it should be.

[​IMG]

The camera module is “new” which has proven to be divisive among users and reviewers alike. It seamlessly merges with the side frame. Personally, I’ve gone from being sceptical about the design choice to growing quite fond of it.

[​IMG]

The phone feels incredible in hand. The gentle curves of the screen complement the contour of the back panel which leads to a snug grip while you hold the phone. I’d advise using a case though as the phone is very slippery.

[​IMG]
    A stunning 6.7” AMOLED display sits at the front of the device with the screen curving ever so slightly on the sides. Almost every visual aspect of the front is similar to last year’s flagship which makes it no different from its predecessor in that regard. The display of the OnePlus 10 Pro is made of Corning Gorilla Glass Victus while the back panel is composed of Gorilla Glass 5.

[​IMG]
    The muted green looks elegant yet sophisticated without being too flashy. I was on the fence regarding this particular colour but I found it to be quite pleasing once I actually held it in my hands.

[​IMG]
    The most striking feature of the OnePlus 10 Pro is undoubtedly the new camera module. With a three camera setup and a similarly shaped flash ring, the cameras lend a distinct look to the back of the phone and I am sure that onlookers will be easily able to tell which phone it is simply by looking at the cameras.

Protrusion of the camera bump is negligible and it actually makes for a comfortable place to rest your fingers while holding the phone. However, I think that the sides of the lenses might be a resting place for dust.

The second row of lenses is aligned with the OnePlus logo in the center and look aesthetically pleasing.

[​IMG]
    An aluminum frame holds the front and back of the OnePlus 10 Pro together. The gentle curve of the frame makes it easy to hold in hand.

Button placement is just like on previous OnePlus phones with the power button and alert slider on the right and volume buttons on the left. Although, the alert slider has been moved up a bit which I assume is to place it evenly between the camera lenses.

The volume buttons are incredibly tactile and have a satisfying click on every press.

Eight subtle antenna lines are visible evenly spread on all four sides of the phone.

[​IMG]
    There are two microphones; one on the top rail while the other is at the bottom, right next to the USB 3.1 Type-C port.

[​IMG]
    To the left of the USB Type-C port is the sim card tray. The speaker grill has two perfectly chiseled slits and is housed at the bottom as well.

I think that design wise, the OnePlus 10 Pro walks a safe line and delivers a great design along with solid build quality.

That’s all for now. Stay tuned for the full review.

Cheers!

Last edited: May 8, 2022

3. asifshadeslayer
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 10 Pro 5G Jun 20, 2022

Stickied Post
    asifshadeslayer , Jun 20, 2022 :
    DISPLAY​

Let's start with the display. Gorgeous every time you look at it, the 6.7" AMOLED curved display is a sight to behold. With a resolution of 3216 x 1440 every object on the screen looks detailed and sharp. You get to choose between FHD+ and QHD+ and I tried both resolutions but honestly, couldn't tell them apart at all. Battery life would be the only consideration while picking either as one option would generally give you more screen on time than the other.

[​IMG]
    The Dual Color Calibration does wonders for color representation which is immaculate and lends to stunning contrast on the screen between every color.

The LTPO 2.0 display intelligently scales its refresh rate between 10Hz and 120Hz depending on the on-screen content. I could not get it to do down to 1Hz. It has been incredibly smooth for the most part. I did have some instances of sudden stutters. Overall though, the interaction with the screen has been great.

Screen brightness is just wonderful, indoors and outdoors. Everything on the screen is comfortably visible even in direct sunlight which is really useful. Also worth mentioning is the "brightness AI" which is quite accurate and reliable once it gets used to our preferences.

[​IMG]

Media consumption has been an absolute delight as every video that I watched was bright and immersive albeit the taller aspect ratio which took me a while to get used to.

Playing games is another area where the display shines. Especially while playing games in landscape when you have all the real estate filled with top of the line mobile graphics, it looks absolutely amazing.

[​IMG]

One complaint that I have is that the curved screen sometimes warps text on screen when near the edge which is impossible for me to miss. I always notice when this happens and it immediately distracts me.

A positive attribute is that I haven't had any accidental touches, not a single one. I kept waiting for it to happen but it never did. The software optimization to recognize and cancel accidental touches is very well done.

[​IMG] 7

It is a top of the line display with great viewing angles, solid color representation, smooth refresh rate and an incredibly bright screen.

4. asifshadeslayer

Stickied Post
    PERFORMANCE​

This is one aspect of the phone with which I have no negative remarks about. The OnePlus 10 Pro is incredibly fast and reliable. I've thrown every task I could think of to see if anything would slow it down but it chewed every task up and spit it out like it was no big deal.

Normal usage of navigation, social media, browsing apps barely seem to bother the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1. Every app opens instantly and runs without any hiccups.

I did not run any benchmarks as I wanted real world performance results as opposed to synthetic benchmarks.

Games that I played extensively to push the phone to its limits included Call of Duty, Apex Legends and Asphalt 9. After long and extensive periods of gaming, I can comfortably say that this device is amazing for gaming. Even with the long hours that I put in, the frame rate remained steady with minimal to no fluctuations. I did have some major frame drops in Apex Legends right before you land but I'm chalking that up to game optimization.

[​IMG]

The remaining two games ran smooth and fast. Graphics settings were cranked all the way to 'max' and the games looked very detailed.

Frame rate was capped at 60fps (for which I did have to lower graphics quality) and I found no setting that indicated it could go higher probably because the developers haven't pushed an update to support the OnePlus 10 Pro, yet.

Light apps like Driveway Surfers, Clash of Clans, Magic Tiles, 8 Ball Pool ran with no issues.

[​IMG]

Switching between apps is smooth like butter, like a criminal.... Sorry. I mean it is really smooth. Even in landscape, which was really pleasant to experience.

stormchaser1971 likes this.
  5. asifshadeslayer

Stickied Post
    OXYGEN OS​

The OnePlus 10 Pro ships with Oxygen OS 12 right out the box. It is still based on the unified codebase which sadly makes it a whole lot more Colour OS than Oxygen OS.

[​IMG]

It does come with features that are Oxygen OS regulars such as screen off gestures, customizable accent colors, Work Life Balance mode, OnePlus Shelf and Zen Mode which is always nice to see.

[​IMG]

I hardly noticed any implementation of Material You (Android 12's system wide color theming scheme) in apps that weren't from Google. Although the apps that do follow this system tend to have a cohesive color palette which looks visually nice.

The OS is very smooth to navigate through with every animation looking incredibly fluid and fast while being clean without any bloatware.

[​IMG]

Opening and closing of apps is a breeze while switching between apps is effortless.

The 'Raise to Wake' feature is worth mentioning as it is accurate every single time and is convenient for a quick glance at the screen to glean instant information.

[​IMG]

There are quite a few downsides as well in the OS that I noticed while using the OnePlus 10 Pro.

I found it bizarre that unlike in Oxygen OS 10, we can no longer change individual app icons or edit their names to what we like. Also puzzling is the choice to move Hidden Space from the convenient position in the app drawer to a multi-step setup within settings. The convenience factor is completely gone.

Also cumbersome is the new position of the Shelf. Having to swipe down from the top right to access the Shelf makes no sense when that action is primarily reserved for pulling down the notification bar. I have had to disable Shelf due to this very reason since day one and place corresponding widgets on my home screen to compensate.

Another gripe of mine is that you have to tap twice before you can remove an icon or widget from the home screen which used to take only a single tap or a hold and swipe up.

Aside from the few issues that I mentioned above, Oxygen OS runs perfectly on the OnePlus 10 Pro and I've rarely encountered a bug since day one.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022 at 1:38 PM

6. asifshadeslayer

Stickied Post
    CAMERA​

The OnePlus 10 Pro is equipped with the same primary 48 MP Sony IMX789 sensor that we last saw in the OnePlus 9 Pro, a new 50 MP Samsung ISOCELL JN1 ultrawide lens and an 8 MP telephoto lens along with a dual tone flash.

[​IMG]

Results have been inconsistent for the most part.

Pictures taken from the main sensor are sharp and vibrant when taken in broad daylight. Details are well preserved and color representation is very accurate.

[​IMG]

I did notice fringing around subjects when taking close up shots. Using a different camera app was no use as the result was the same.

Nightscape does help in low light conditions but the pictures take an immediate nosedive in terms of detail. Noise levels go up and I found the pictures to be a little hazy as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 150 degree ultrawide lens has been the most disappointing of all the camera lenses as the pictures taken from it are always soft with a significant loss of detail when compared to the main camera.

[​IMG]

The edges of the photograph especially suffer from this as they tend to look much softer and less detailed than the rest of the picture. Even pictures taken in broad daylight suffer from this and rarely did I capture a photo that actually looked sharp.

[​IMG]

I stuck to taking photos with 110° field of view. The 150° and fisheye modes are accessible via a dedicated tab in the Camera app. There is also a Pro Mode for users who want more granular control over the settings.

[​IMG]

Pictures from the 8 MP 3.3x telephoto camera are much better with more detail retention and almost accurate color representation.

[​IMG]
    XPAN mode allows you to capture pictures in an aspect ratio of 2.7:1. This lets us take photos that are different from the traditional 3:2 or 4:3 photo ratio.

[​IMG]

A 32 MP front-facing camera is used for selfies. It has a wider field of view than the one on the OnePlus 9 Pro which helps in capturing more in a single frame. Selfies were decent with what I thought was great skin tone representation and natural colors.

[​IMG]

Video quality in good lighting conditions is crisp and detailed. The OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) does a commendable job of keeping the video free of shakiness and jitters. It too suffers in low light conditions though.

[​IMG]

We also get Movie Mode that allows the adjustment of ISO, shutter speed, and white balance before and during filming.

In my experience, the primary lens has been the most reliable when taking pictures while the telephoto and ultrawide are usable when you are in good lighting conditions. What follows are pictures that I took from all three lenses.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Let me know what you guys think of the pictures above.

7. asifshadeslayer

Stickied Post
    SPEAKERS, HAPTICS, FINGERPRINT SENSOR​

The OnePlus 10 Pro has a stereo speaker setup with a downward firing speaker and a second speaker in the earpiece. Although the speaker at the bottom is significantly louder, the combined audio from both the speakers is quite pleasant, especially while watching videos or playing games in landscape mode. It creates a personal soundstage which I really enjoyed.

[​IMG]

Audio quality is pretty good as I was able to clearly make out the different instruments while a song was playing along with clean and crisp vocals. The bass leaves a lot to be desired though as it is very weak and could have been a lot punchier.

[​IMG]

There are two microphones, one located at the top and the other at the bottom of the phone and they do a great job of capturing the speaker's voice. People at the other end of a call consistently said that my voice was loud and clear which is always good to hear.

[​IMG]

The standout feature of the OnePlus 10 Pro in my opinion is the new and improved haptics. The new vibration motor is downright amazing. I can easily say that it is incredible and probably one of the best vibration motors out there. Every single tap feels tight and precise; even the lightest vibrations you feel when you reach the end of the app drawer or while scrolling through the multitasking screen is gentle enough to be felt yet not too strong.

It is absolutely a premium haptic motor.

[​IMG]

Another great experience I've had is with the optical fingerprint sensor which is very accurate, fast and reliable. Nine out of ten times, it recognizes my fingerprint and the one time it doesn't is far and few in-between.

The combined experience of the features mentioned above make using the OnePlus 10 Pro a joy.

CALL QUALITY​

Call Quality has been great. I've had no dropped calls and people on the other side of the call said that my voice sounded loud and clear. Their voices sounded rich and clean as well.

Network connectivity has also been superb with no complaints. WiFi connections are strong and reliable whereas 4G is fast and stable for the most part with few moments of fluctuations.

8. asifshadeslayer

Stickied Post
    BATTERY​

Battery performance has been stellar for the most part. I usually got around 7 to 8 hours of screen on time on a single charge from 9 in the morning to 7 in the evening.

[​IMG]

With my day consisting of long music listening sessions, couple of hours of intense gaming, light browsing along with social media apps and moderate use of navigation apps, the 5000 mAh battery of the OnePlus 10 Pro has been very reliable and consistently gotten me through the day with 15-20% still left.

[​IMG]

The 80W SUPERVOOC charger is blazingly fast and fills up the OnePlus 10 Pro in under 33 minutes almost every time. I've had instances when I left the phone to charge for 10 minutes and had enough charge in the bank to last for a comfortable period of time.

There were times when I got about 5-5½ hours of use but that only happened when I really pushed the phone.

With a beefy battery that lasts long and ultrafast charging, the OnePlus 10 Pro lasts through the day comfortably with moderate to heavy usage.

FINAL THOUGHTS​

Having used the OnePlus 10 Pro for over a month, I have come to the conclusion that it is a great phone that comes up short in a couple of areas.

The build quality is excellent and the phone feels incredible in your hand. The display is gorgeous and fluid. The buttons are as tactile as can be while the haptics are on another level.

The sad letdowns are a lackluster camera and Oxygen OS. Pictures that I took usually tended to be on the softer side and the ultrawide camera rarely produced results that were satisfying.

Oxygen OS looks and feels very different from the way it used to during its hay day. Bizarre choices by the developers make small tasks more cumbersome which takes away from an otherwise smooth and bug free experience.

The few negatives aside, this is an incredible smartphone with a great screen, solid battery life and amazing haptics. The OnePlus 10 Pro is truly the next level flagship in OnePlus' lineup.

All I hope for is that they improve in the areas that I felt were lacking in the next iteration. Fingers crossed.

stormchaser1971 likes this.
  9. dnagpaldg
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 10 Pro 5G Writers' Club May 9, 2022

dnagpaldg , May 9, 2022 :
    Whoa. I absolutely love the photos and the initial impressions.
    Excited for phase 2!

McJader and asifshadeslayer like this.
  10. asifshadeslayer

dnagpaldg likes this.
  11. Harshit R.
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro May 9, 2022

Harshit R. , May 9, 2022 :
    The shorts are pretty amazing 😍
    And I will be waiting for the full review 🤠

asifshadeslayer likes this.
  12. Kushal_Gowda_A
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 9, 2022

13. SRD.
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G May 9, 2022

SRD. , via OnePlus Community App , May 9, 2022 :
    Beautiful place for a phone to be photographed 😉.

Which place is it btw ?
    Good initial impression 👍. Waiting for the deep dive ! Especially the Camera part.

16. Vesko G.
    Gingerbread May 9, 2022

Vesko G. , May 9, 2022 :
    Amazing idea to unbox the phone in the nature. I am going to steal it for when I do unboxing 😋
    Now waiting for the software review

18. UXreviewer
    Donut May 9, 2022

UXreviewer , May 9, 2022 :
    I recently had the chance to test the OnePlus 10 Pro and I agree with "OnePlus 10 Pro: Not Quite There Yet".

The OnePlus spirit is almost dead an, to be short, the photo part and the OS are not reaching what it should in 2022.

The photos are good, of course, but OnePlus still have trouble to present the best photophone on the market and even have trouble to geat close to the best of them (Samsung, Pixel, Iphone), but, let be honest, for most people, what OnePlus present as performance with the 10 Pro for it's photo part will be enought.

But we are here to do a review, and OnePlus have missed the step... again and again (after a failed with the OnePlus 9).

The other problem, in my opinion, is the OS.

I'm very interested by a pure Android experience, or at least, something very closed to, as OnePlus used to do (OnePlus 6, 6T for example). The changes made by the fusion made with Oppo OS makes OnePlus drift from its experience with OxygenOS.
    So again, OnePlus failed on this point.

Honestly, I was wainting for this smartphone, but after the test, I will pass hoping for a real OnePlus product with the OnePlus 10 Ultra that should arrived soon.

But I'm affraid it will only be (another) marketing product. As I mentionned before, OnePlus spirit almost vanished, and it's a pity!

Those last years, I have converted Iphone users to OnePlus (6, 6T and 7) and those users have been pleased by there OnePlus product, but nowday, I don't see how are why I should recommande the last OnePlus Smartphones.

As a UX designer, what I realy like about OnePlus smartphones is the physical button to change the ring mode (silece, vibration, sound). It's basic, but so usefull and even if I realy want to keep this feature on my smartphone, I'm ready to lose it by changing my smartphone for another constructor's model.

That's why I'm currently doing a deep benchmark on smartphones to see what I could find in order to change. I will wait for the OnePlus 10 Ultra before acting , but since this review, I'm not confident and have in mind the I will probably need to give up OnePlus...

Johan Notte and Daniel D. like this.
  19. asifshadeslayer

Harshit R. likes this.
  20. asifshadeslayer

It was indeed.
    It's a village called Hemya.
    I'm working on my full review. Hope you find it to be an interesting read as well.

McJader and SRD. like this.
  21. asifshadeslayer

Haha! Please do, by all means.
    Working on it. Will post it soon.

Vesko G. likes this.
  22. asifshadeslayer

I am currently working on my full review. I hope it can elaborate on every aspect of the phone that you are curious about.

RCondesso likes this.
  23. Sumanroy307
    Donut May 9, 2022

24. DileepMuvvala
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 9, 2022

25. PEDDINTIDINESH
    Honeycomb May 10, 2022

STAR+LORD likes this.
  26. mallu.achayan
    Honeycomb May 10, 2022