[THE LAB]: OnePlus 10 Pro Review by dnagpaldg

1. dnagpaldg
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 10 Pro 5G Writers' Club Apr 14, 2022

dnagpaldg , Apr 14, 2022 :
    [​IMG]
    I was scrolling Instagram when a bunch of notifications popped up at the top of the screen. “Why am I being tagged on the Writer’s Club?” I ask myself, as I open the messages. Turns out, I had been selected to be part of the review squad for The Lab: OnePlus 10 Pro Edition!

I’ve been using the OnePlus 10 Pro for a week now, and I’m finally ready to share my thoughts on it with you guys - the Community!

Some of you know me, but for the rest of you, I’m dnagpaldg. I was an Android diehard till about 2020, which is when the pandemic and later iOS 14.4 made me reevaluate what I need out of my phone. I’m a software dev, and I try to sneak in a weekend getaway every once in a while. I mostly use my phone for social media, as my primary camera when I go somewhere, for music, Netflix, and YouTube. Every once in a while, I’ll use it for calling. I’ve been on the iPhone 11 for some time now, and before that, I had the OnePlus 7 Pro - I’ll use both as reference points for this phone.

What I want to do with this review is focus on the intangibles - that is, the experience of using this phone when your primary focus is social media, music and video consumption, the camera, and work. Every reviewer focuses on different things, and I’m sure you can look at the rest of them here.

I understand that not everyone has the time to go through the entire review (but please do, its a lot of effort xD), so I’ll put a small TL;DR at the end of each section.

Let’s go!

Index

Last edited: May 24, 2022

2. dnagpaldg

Stickied Post
    Initial Thoughts about the Phone
    I could have written about the unboxing quite early, but I wanted to use the phone for sometime before that. This is not a full review of the phone, that’ll come later, but I think this section covers some ground while I write something more detailed.

OxygenOS 12 is a far cry from OxygenOS 9 or 10 with their clean looks and barebones approach. But at the same time (and I’ll get a lot of hate for saying this), I liked using OxygenOS 12. Its stable now, runs on top of Android 12, and most importantly includes some thoughtful touches that I really liked.

For example, much like control centre on the iPhone, OnePlus’ shelf opens when you swipe from the top right. Infact, Shelf is actually much more powerful because you can put widgets and notes there. If only OnePlus were to put the volume keys on the Shelf as a widget, I wouldn’t have to bother with the buttons on this phone at all.

“No buttons? What do you mean”, I hear you asking. And answer I shall.

Note: it was around this time that I googled for synonyms to ridiculous and blazing fast. Everything is an order of magnitude faster than what I’m used to on my iPhone, which itself is no slouch. It just has slightly slower animations.

The 10 Pro wakes up automatically whenever I pick it up, and the face recognition works with a mask as well. Everything happens so harmoniously that to me, it feels like the phone is unlocked before I’ve even looked at it! (In reality, it unlocks in under a second of me looking directly at the screen). You can put it to sleep by just double tapping an empty part of the homescreen. So, the power button isn’t really needed.

I don’t need to talk about the fact that the phone is blazing fast, because (a) it runs on the highest end chipset (b) with superfast storage (c) on 8/12 GB of fast RAM (d) with OnePlus’ optimisations (e) on a 120Hz QHD panel (the panel is absolutely gorgeous, by the way). Everything opens in the blink of an eye, and I think at this point, my internet is the bottleneck for everything on this phone.

The panel is really nice, and while I prefer more natural colours, it comes with a lot of colour profiles that can let you get something closer to what you want. The important thing for me is that it gets really bright - bright enough to stay readable in direct daylight.

80W is an insane amount of charging. 5000 mAh is a mammoth battery. Charging a 5000 mAh battery in 30 minutes is just ridiculous. In the time it took me to watch one episode of The Office (approx 20-30 minutes), the phone basically went from <10% to >90%. I cannot overstate the ridiculousness of this charging speed on that big a battery. You can wake up to a dead phone, put it on charge and then have enough battery for the commute in the time you take to have breakfast! This will absolutely spoil your charging habits. But that’s fine because you can easily last the whole day on a full charge, as long as you’re not delibrately stressing it. I’ve been charging it once every two days. At the same time, if you plug it up during the night, it will optimise charging so that it reaches 100% by 6 AM. Its nice that OnePlus lets both night chargers and fast chargers use the phone worry-free.

It seems that OnePlus has put a lot of effort into the camera, into OxygenOS, and maybe the speaker setup. The speakers sound “fuller” than any other phone. There is great instrument separation, and they also get quite loud without losing their sound quality. I think the speakers are my favourite part of the phone.
    (Sidenote - if you don’t know how to judge sound quality, here’s what I do - take a song you’e heard a lot of times and are familiar with. A good speaker would let you hear every instrument independently, without drowning out most of them for the sake of bass or vocals.)

The camera app is quite capable, but also rather cluttered. It seems like they’ve lifted it from Oppo, because I remember the 7 Pro’s camera app being much cleaner. Of course, they’ve also packed in an incredible number of things into the camera this time, featurewise. I really liked the colours in X-Pan mode, even if the 1.5 second animation gets boring immediately.
    [​IMG]
    XPan
    On the whole, I don’t think everyone would go through the various modes on the camera, especially since the best stuff is thrown inside a “More” section, and then inside some random button on the top or bottom of the phone. Heck, finding the Fisheye mode was a hassle, and I wonder if everyone would take the time to go through them.
    [​IMG]
    Fisheye Mode
    I also don’t get the AI button at all - yes, it recognises all scenes properly, but then I didn’t feel like it was having an effect on things. This also didn’t really matter because I’m getting great pictures from this phone. So far, I haven’t been able to click as many pictures as I wanted, but I’ll post a more comprehensive camera review next week. For now, check these out.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Main vs Ultrawide
    Now that my gripes with the camera app are done, lets talk about the actual picture quality.

They’ve put a lot of camera modes here that I liked a lot - stabilised video works really well, especially now that we have a much wider ultrawide. However, I can’t help but wonder if the ultrawide would have been better still with Autofocus. Dual view video is going to be great for making vlogs or for reaction videos. The main camera is an excellent performer, and the retouching features also work quite well if you want to use them. They can slim your face, smoothen your skin etc on the go.

There’s a film mode that I’ve been dying to try out - its essentially pro mode but for video cameras. Another thing I loved is that they enabled pro mode on all three cameras - the OnePlus 7 Pro limited me to just the main camera for Pro mode and that sucked.

Long Exposure has preset modes for water and clouds, moving vehicles, and light painting, which I think sorts out SO MUCH from the task of taking these kinds of pictures. I haven’t had a chance to try this out yet, but I’m excited for this one.

Oh, and did I mention that the main camera takes really detailed pictures and mostly good colour reproduction? OnePlus' colour processing prefers more natural colours over warm ones (iPhones) or punchy colours (Samung), especially in landscape and cityscapes. At the same time, the phone is unable to handle blues that well - anything blue jut looks washed out, so pictures look warmer than they should.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I loved the portrait mode on this phone, but I won't be sharing those pictures here. Just take my word for it, its great at object separation and at cleaning up the person :)

The phone definitely holds its own in low light, and I'm pleased with those pictures as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The phone can zoom up to 50x, and you can see how that affects the picture quality. I went from 0.6x, 1x, 3.3x, 5x to finally 10x zoom.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

On the whole, not bad.

3. dnagpaldg

Stickied Post
    Build Quality

Its insane how well OnePlus built the 10 Pro. The weight distribution is balanced - you’d expect a phone with such a large camera bump to be top heavy, but thankfully that doesn’t happen. Weight distribution is important because if a phone is too top heavy, it’ll have a tendency to try to slip out of your hands when you’re typing on the keyboard. There’s a certain heft to the phone, but its mostly the same weight as previous Pro series phones - OnePlus has found a nice sweet spot.
    [​IMG]
    The frame along the sides is aluminium, and it wraps around the sides seamlessly from the curved screen to the green emerald finished back page. The glass isn’t glossy - its got a refined matte feel that improves grip over older models and makes me less scared to hold it without a case. Of course, it's ultimately got glass panels front and back and “glass is glass”, so I’d rather use a case on the 10 Pro.
    [​IMG]
    On the right side, you’ve got an alert slider and the power button, while the left side has the volume keys. While the keys are tactile and so is the alert slider, they’re all too small. The power button on my iPhone is as large as both volume keys on the OnePlus 10 Pro. Same goes with the Alert Slider on the 10 Pro. Too small. I don’t know why they did it, but larger buttons are always better, especially when you’re building a phone as unabashedly tall as the 10 Pro.
    [​IMG]
    The camera bump is the headline feature of this phone. Honestly, this is one of those situations where “it looks better in person”. So. Much. Better. Looking at the official photos, I thought that the bump would be thicker than the rest of the phone in a Pixel 6 manner. But boy was I wrong. The phone rocks the camera module, as it comes out of the frame and across almost two thirds of the phone’s back. I like that they kept the inner lens and the flashlight in line with the OnePlus logo - the asymmetry would have haunted me otherwise. On the whole, this design is going to be divisive, but it does look unique and a lot better than the 9 Pro.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022

4. dnagpaldg

Stickied Post
    The Accessories
    The Lab doesn’t require me to talk about the cases, but they’re good enough to warrant a section devoted to them. The retail box ships with a power brick and a USB-A to USB-C cable. In North America, you’ll also get a USB-A to USB-C adapter but not in India. And frankly, that’s okay because atleast in India, USB-C still doesn’t seem as common as USB-A, especially for power bricks.
    [​IMG]
    Included in the retail unit is a silicone cover of the same colour as the phone. Its good enough case for daily use, and soft to the touch. Since its made by OnePlus, the phone fits snugly into it. That’s honestly the best part about OnePlus cases - they fit the phone really well, and as I’ve seen with the 7 Pro, are really durable. Which is important because the metal frames on these phones pick up scratches without you doing anything.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    OnePlus also makes three other cases - the Quantum Photography case, the Sandstone case and the Karbon Black case. All three are hard cases, and once again fit really well. Personally, I love the Sandstone case because, well, Sandstone. OnePlus One and Two diehards remember the Sandstone finish. On the whole, they’re rather sleek as well, so if you want, do check them out.

The phone comes with a screen protector film pre-applied, but this film isn’t very scratch resistant itself. But ofcourse, it does protect the screen while also ensuring you don’t need to get a thick glass protector immediately after buying the phone, so I plan to keep it as I daily drive the phone.

TLDR: These cases fit the phones really well, and if they're anything like previous OnePlus cases, they will last you a long time.

5. dnagpaldg

Stickied Post
    Unboxing
    One of the coolest things about the lab is the reviewer box! When we talk about unboxing, we’re usually referring to the box the phone comes in. But not this time. Here, we start with the box that contains the box that contains the OnePlus 10 Pro’s box. (sweet!)
    [​IMG]
    Once you pull away the cardboard packaging, there’s a big box in classic OnePlus red. There’s Hasselblad branding on the side. The box opens up from the top, and you’re greeted by the OnePlus 10 Pro (inside a box, ofcourse). This is the retail box for the phone, and the one you’ll get.

There’s a compartment on the lower side of the box that slides out to reveal two cases and a photograph taken on the OnePlus 10 Pro. The picture looks incredible, and its a bit reminiscent of the One More Light album cover.
    [​IMG]
    Moving on to the retail box. Once again, it's that classic OnePlus red with the high quality materials, and a glossy finish to all the logos (OnePlus on the top, Hasselblad at the corner.) Besides the phone, there is a charger (I got the India variant of the phone so its a 85W SuperVOOC charger) and red cable, alongwith some paperwork, a Red Cable Club card and a silicone case.

OnePlus sent me the Emerald Green variant of the phone, and I don’t think I’ve fallen in love with the design of a phone faster than this one (yes, its absolutely better than the 7 Pro, looks wise). The silicone case matches the colour of the phone, so I got the green version.

TLDR:
    On one hand, unboxing feels like such an easy place to cut costs, and such a pointless part of reviews. And yet, I think it sets the stage for how you look at your phone. You hold the box before you get to the actual device, and I think that’ why OnePlus has always focused on making it such an enjoyable experience.

6. dnagpaldg
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 10 Pro 5G Writers' Club May 24, 2022

Stickied Post
    dnagpaldg , May 24, 2022 :
    Performance
    The short version is that this thing is incredibly fast, to the point where the sole benefit of so much processing power and RAM is in the form of headroom for later years. You can buy it and just know it won’t slow down before you decide to throw it out.

What’s true of all OnePlus flagships is true of the 10 Pro as well - its incredibly fast. In fact, that’s still the biggest USP of this phone. Even if you keep it for 5 years, I know you won’t be replacing it because it got slow. Maybe because the camera tech advanced a lot, or everyone carries a foldable in 5 years and you decided to switch. But the ample RAM and the superfast Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 ensure that this phone always has the performance you need.

While the UI is a different thing, I am happy to report that it does feel optimised for the OnePlus 10 Pro. The animations add to the smooth feel of the phone, while helping ensure things don’t just pop up at you. Games run well - I’ve played both casual stuff as well Asphalt 9, and I haven’t seen the phone get very hot. In fact, even when recording 4K 60 fps, the phone didn’t feel uncomfortable to hold. This was one of the bigger complaints with the OnePlus 9 Pro, and I’m glad to see that OnePlus has fixed it.

8 GB is a lot of RAM, and I got the 12 GB version. This is ample for anything I need to do. On top of that, OnePlus has a RAM extender feature that lets you use its fast UFS 3.1 storage as swap memory (just call it extra memory) for when your RAM gets filled up. The feature seems a bit gimmicky for how most people use their phones, but a theoretical use is not having to kill other apps in the memory when your Adobe Premiere Rush takes up the whole 8 GB of RAM in a video export. The phone has you covered.[​IMG]

7. dnagpaldg

Stickied Post
    Charging speeds and battery life
    The OnePlus 7 Pro, with its 30W charging, never made me worry about not charging my phone - I could plug it in for half an hour minutes and have enough juice for some time. But the 80W SuperVOOC charging on the OnePlus 10 Pro has absolutely spoilt me. “It gets from 1 to 50% in around fifteen minutes” is an oft-repeated in their marketing material, but let me tell you how that translates to real life:
    1. The phone can charge from 1% to over 60%in the time it takes to watch an episode of Friends.
    2. I went to Nainital with this phone (non-Indians can call it a hill station/holiday resort town). I could plug the phone into any restaurant for 10-15 minutes while I grabbed a quick bite or shopped around, and it’ll be charged enough for 5 hours of continuous camera use.
    3. Phone at 1%, start playing Bohemian Rhapsody. By the time the song ends, you’re both happy (The OnePlus 10 Pro has good speakers) and it charged to 45%.
    I think those with the NA variants must be getting similar performance, you’ll have to check out their lab reviews for exact details though.

Charging has always been OnePlus’ key selling points, but at these speeds, safety and battery longevity become serious concerns. So, I’ll list what they’ve done about it as a bunch of bullet points.

1. Many people prefer charging their phones before they go to sleep, and why charge the battery at 80W and keep it at 100% when you can slowly charge it overnight? That’s why OnePlus has an automatic optimised charging mode, that kicks in and charges the phone such that it is at 100% by 6 AM. No intervention necessary from you, and it reduces battery ageing.
    2. But of course, if you’re like me, and you need to turn it off, its just the press of a button.
    3. The phone charges slowly when turned off. The SuperVOOC tech starts working only when the phone is turned on.
    4. No, the phone does not heat up when charged so fast.

Before talking about my mileage with the OnePlus 10 Pro, I should talk about how I use my phones. I used a lot of Instagram on the phone all the time. I took it on a trip with me for some time, when I used it as a camera, for telephony, GPS. The third major use case was when I decided to binge-watch all of Community in a week on Netflix, and I did it all on the 10 Pro.

Lets talk about Netflix first - the phone could easily be used for around 15 episodes (that’s about five hours of Netflix before I got a battery low notification (that’s 20%). Pretty awesome, imo. You could then charge it while you grabbed a snack, and then finish the season that day. Side note: Community S1-S3, definitely worth a watch.

As for low to moderate use where I mostly used social media such as Instagram, WhatsApp, Slack, and video calls on these apps, besides the occassional email or Chrome, I used to get a day’s battery easily. In fact, it was more like a day and a half, since there’s not a lot of battery drain on standby. I think this is helped by OnePlus’ LTPO as well as the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1’s energy efficiency on low-to-medium workloads.

Coming to the cameras - for about four days, I was continuously using this phone in a place with spotty internet coverage, and basically nonstop camera usage. Ofcourse, I click photos more than video (I don’t take that much video in the first place, and some of what I did take was through the Instagram app), and in that situation, the 10 Pro gave me a respectable 6-7 hours of battery life.

I think this is a good place to cover the Reverse Wireless Charging feature on the OnePlus 10 Pro. You can use your OnePlus 10 Pro to wirelessly charge small things, such as compatible earphones. Honestly, it sounds like a gimmick until you catch yourself with a dead pair of Bluetooth earphones, which is when being able to charge them using your phone seems natural. I don’t own a pair of wirelessly charging earphones, but funnily enough, my iPhone was able to charge (very slowly) from the reverse wireless charging on this phone.

8. dnagpaldg

Stickied Post
    Audio
    What I said about audio in my initial impressions post, stands true. The speakers on this phone are a delight. They’re bassy, their sound profile isn’t messed up, they don’t feel tinny, and stereo sound is always helpful. Let’s talk about these in more detail.

Most of us listen to Audio through headphones, which means its important to mention that the OnePlus 10 Pro supports a lot of high quality audio codecs including LDAC, AptX, AptX HD and AAC. If you buy something like the OnePlus Buds Pro or headphones from Sony or Bose, you’ll hear the richness in sound that these superior audio codecs offer. As an audiophile, its something I appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    OnePlus has also been partnering with Dolby for audio processing for some time now. You can access the settings for this through the audio settings pane in Settings. It lets you choose the scene or keep it on “Intelligent Mode” where it will automatically apply things.

To me, it felt like the app would amplify dialogue and lyrics over the background, which was nice for movies but not so much for music. I just kept it on Intelligent Mode most of the time.

9. dnagpaldg

Stickied Post
    OxygenOS 12
    OxygenOS 12 is the lovechild that came of Oppo and OnePlus’ merger. Is it fast? Yes. Does it seem logical? Absolutely! Did they execute it well? Um….

People keep asking for features in their smartphones. And after a while, there’s someone else who’s already developed a lot of those features, so OnePlus would essentially be forced to redevelop the same things that Oppo has already made (like more advanced Game modes, O-Haptics etc) and try to integrate them in what’s supposed to be a clean OS. Daunting, isn’t it? Is it not simpler to merge, so that Oppo can develop the features and OnePlus can integrate them as needed? Some might even say this is a match made in heaven!

Ofcourse, in some ways, this is one of the two sore points on this phone. While it does run fast, and the UI animations help to make it feel like that, the attention to detail I’m used to on OnePlus and other devices is no longer there. It’ll almost feels like nitpicking from my side, but its the things like the notification toggles overflowing when the UI calls for it to be spread on two lines instead, or how the shelf opens like a notification shade but closes like an app (because guess what - it is an app and they forgot to hide it). I think they’ll need some time to actually use the UI and fix all of these inconsistencies, but on the whole, the OS is pretty amazing.

The fact is that, that lack of polish made me hate the phone for about two weeks. Then I decided to actually use it, instead of being grumpy. And I saw all the work that OnePlus has done. For the 10 pro, OnePlus has focused on trying to add quality of life tweaks to the phone, and it shows. A lot of it is down to it using ColorOS, but you’ll see what I mean.

Don’t like the dark mode we use? Here’s three!

Don’t want to use high refresh rate because you want to squeeze battery? Okay.

Do you think having to go to the homescreen to get to scout is too much work? Have it in the Shelf. Oh, and you thought that the control centre on Apple devices was cool? Here, have unlimited widgets like parking location savers and notes and frequent apps alongside the Scout.

(Seriously, this iteration of the Shelf is so amazing, but for one thing: it lacks is a volume slider. If OnePlus decides to add that, you can use this phone without ever touching any of its buttons).

Do you think we’ve got a lot of features but don’t know what its for? Here, have a tooltip and informative tutorials on everything!

Need captions on a WhatsApp video? Turn on live caption and you’re done!

Don’t want the drawer? Okay. Want to change how many items fit on the homescreen? Go ahead.

This is still a lot of the good parts of OxygenOS, but finally stable enough to not get hate from everyone. OxygenOS excels at getting out of your way, and looking good while doing so. So, on the whole, I’d call it quite competitive.

10. dnagpaldg

Stickied Post
    Camera
    Alright then, lets talk about the camera on this device. TLDR here is that they’re still a bit of a work in progress. Definitely brilliant once they perform, but consistency is a major issue for me right now. And once its done, this is going to be a beast of a device. They’ve added so many things here.

The hardware on this device is ready to score well - a triple camera setup with an incredibly wide ultrawide, a capable main camera, and a 3.3x telephoto lens. No useless macro cameras, no gimmicky periscope lenses that are unusable without a tripod - just solid camera hardware. On top of that, this is year two of OnePlus x Hasselblad, so I was expecting a bump over the OnePlus 9 Pro’s camera.

Unfortunately, I don’t think its quite the step up. The white balance often felt a bit off to me, on the warmer side even. The second, and major reason, is consistency. When I take a picture with a crappy iPhone, or even my OnePlus 7 Pro, I have a rough idea of how it’ll come out. After years of use, I know how what these phones are capable of, so I know what I’ll be getting when I click a picture. The OnePlus 10 Pro was not as predictable here. I think the situation has improved with the later updates though, so I’ll make sure to update it here next month.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]The white balance seems off, as you can see in this picture. The green seems too washed out.

Coming to the actual pictures, when the camera is working (about 95% of the time) - they’re just stunning. The main camera is able to click incredibly detailed pictures, and the post processing has improved thanks to Hasselblad’s . Billion Color Solution - yes, that’s what they call their computational photography nowadays. None of the photos I've taken below use nightscape. Its point and shoot. After a while, you'll understand how to take pictures with this device, and then you'll see what its capable of.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The app itself is stuffed with so many things, and I want to take some time out to talk about all of them. Its been taken from ColorOS - bye bye red button, hello orange. There’s an AI mode setting, sitting prominently at the centre of the toggles bar. Turning it on might not do a lot in bright light, but in low light situations it is an absolute godsend. 10/10 recommended to keep it on - it’ll improve your phone’s camera performance by leaps and bounds in tricky shots. It’ll also automatically detect things like dogs or cats or sports, so that the camera knows to click pictures accordingly, without any blur.
    You can see the dynamic range in the picture below - its a rather dark room, but its bright outside. The 10 Pro manages to expose everything properly, with only minor highlight clipping.
    [​IMG]
    Portrait mode essentially adds a lot of Bokeh to the app, but I don't find it very useful when the default camera is so capable. But, here's a picture taken in portrait mode anyway.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The real fun begins when you open up the app’s “more” section - voila XPan, voila 150 degree ultrawide. XPan mode is probably just a gimmick, but its a very satisfying gimmick. And I daresay, the colors on XPan mode seem to be better than the default photo mode.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

There’s not just a Pro mode that lets you use all three cameras, there’s also a filmmaker mode that lets you do the same for videos! OnePlus has my heart for this. There’s also dual view video, which lets you record from the front camera as well as the back one at the same time (vloggers will love this), timelapse and long exposure, a slomo mode, and Pano.

Fisheye mode is really cool, if you want to try something artistic. Its hidden inside the 150 degree option, but I’d rather keep it as its own toggle.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    One thing I loved about the camera app was that it ghad helpful information markers everywhere - so that people could actually understand what these settings do, instead of just dumping numbers and settings on you.

Another thing I really liked on this phone is that the colours don’t change much when you switch between cameras. Earlier smartphones with multicamera setups had an issue where you would get different white balances depending on the camera being used. This meant the ultrawide pictures might not look as nice as the main pictures.
    [​IMG]
    The camera is a genuine beast - as soon as OnePlus fixes its consistency.

11. dnagpaldg

Stickied Post
    Final verdict

TLDR: OnePlus phones improve. They always become the best versions of themselves 4-5 months after a release, and (sadly) it's the same thing here. I've seen it improve over the two updates it has received so far, and I know it will continue to improve and fix any complaints the Lab might have raised. Go for it.

The OnePlus 10 Pro is what smartphones feel in 2022. They’re well-rounded, clever, and incredible. They’re just not that exciting anymore. It is dotted by a lot of incremental upgrades throughout the phone - gone are the days when OnePlus could launch the 2 and boast about its Octa-core processor, or the QHD screen on the 7 Pro - the new things are smaller changes that come together to make a smartphone experience surpassing the previous generation.

If you’re looking at phones in this range, I would say you should absolutely go for it. The phone has a design language unlike any other, and to me, it looks better than its competitors in this price range. It's thin, and the slight curve and edge lighting for notifications are delightful. It's a mighty media consumption device, whether it's YouTube, Asphalt 9, or Netflix. Amazing speakers and a punchy display. A very detailed toolbox for when you start gaming and has so much processing power that it’ll definitely last you till 2026. Useful touches throughout the OS. Oh, and it's got software support for three years, with an added year of security updates. All this for cheaper than even the base model iPhone 13.

Sure, there are a few downsides - the camera app is not up to the mark yet, especially in terms of consistency. And OxygenOS doesn’t feel as polished as it was earlier, in terms of UI elements. But then it's also true that OnePlus has a tendency to ship rather unpolished versions of their software and then fix them over the next six months.

With that, I want to end on a hopeful note. OxygenOS 13 would be coming to this device, and it'll be built from the ground up by an integrated OPlus team. We’ve been told that it’ll go back to being clean and fast sans the bloat, something we have come to expect from OnePlus. I also know that this camera is capable of taking on the best in the business, and I’ve seen what it's capable of. I’ve received two updates so far, each of which is improving the phone quickly. While I’m not sure if they’ll manage to maintain the cadence of updates for this phone, I do hope it gets at least monthly security patches till the end of its support cycle.
    And honestly, it offers me iPhone 13 Pro Max features for cheaper than an iPhone 13.

Why wouldn’t I go for it?
    [​IMG]

glacialinferno and RacerZ like this.
  12. y_oo1
    Honeycomb Apr 14, 2022

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022

glacialinferno and dnagpaldg like this.
  14. Sourav_Satvaya
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 14, 2022

glacialinferno and dnagpaldg like this.
  15. yashonagori
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Writers' Club Apr 14, 2022

16. ze1dude , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G Metro , Apr 14, 2022 :
    I love you Camryn. Infinity Times Infinittie L.L.C This is Jessica Dawn Agee-Mason. Also I might be wrong Duran but to be safe I'm gonna report Gregory Agree missing too. I'm on Jones street in jville ar

CypressDK and dnagpaldg like this.
  18. E1625066010327
    Cupcake Apr 15, 2022

19. HEMANTHMTV
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 15, 2022

dnagpaldg and zcrswcb like this.
  20. CypressDK , via OnePlus Nord Gray Onyx , Apr 15, 2022 :
    If not said all ready, then i think OP should let their users/buyers know, that the OP 10 pro is NOT running on OxygenOS, but OPPO OS.

I think that is a HUGE mistake from OP.!
    OxygenOS is one of the main reasons for me to keep using OP phones.......

dnagpaldg likes this.
  21. zcrswcb
    Cupcake Apr 15, 2022

22. RamsGamingUK , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 15, 2022 :
    Yep missing alot of basic features. I will be doing a video and at least 5 missing features. Weird OS

dnagpaldg and CypressDK like this.
  23. CypressDK , via OnePlus Nord Gray Onyx , Apr 15, 2022 :
    Ya the OS thing seems wierd to me..
    I have always loved the clean OxygenOS.
    Seems to me, that a lot have happened with OP, unfortunately not in a good way.

But thanks and i will be looking forward to see your videos/review 🙏👍

Have a great day ✌️

dnagpaldg likes this.
  24. SyamKG
    Jelly Bean Apr 16, 2022

sweggitity likes this.
  25. dnagpaldg
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 10 Pro 5G Writers' Club Apr 16, 2022

dnagpaldg , Apr 16, 2022 :
    If someone thought they should upgrade from a 9 Pro to a 10 Pro, I'm going to call them stupid. I've been comparing this to the iPhone 11 (launched in 2019, which is four years old now) . I think that's a good enough amount of time to upgrade a flagship. But yeah, to each their own.

I don't get why they're complaining about the battery though. Its incredible. Camera is still a personal, subjective thing. But battery?

P1616497461677 likes this.
  26. dnagpaldg
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 10 Pro 5G Writers' Club Apr 16, 2022

dnagpaldg , Apr 16, 2022 :
    Thanks dude! I'll be posting the full thing super soon, readying a lot of stuff for you guys.