The LAB - OnePlus 6T - RedDustBeast

?

Most pictures were taken with a DSLR, but one was taken with the OnePlus 6T. Do you know which one?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2018.
  1. OnePlus Cases

17 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. OnePlus 6T Box & Bullets

32 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Unboxed Bullets

15 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. RedDustBeast The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Oct 30, 2018

RedDustBeast, Oct 30, 2018 :
    TheLAB RedDustBeast concept 2-1.png

Welcome

First off, let me tell you guys something about myself. I am Paul, a guy from the Netherlands who just graduated with a Bachelor’s in Mechatronics. Now I’m busy with a fulltime job and the rest of my time mostly goes towards sports. As for my story with OnePlus, it started with the OnePlus One. All my friends got the phone and every time I heard about it, it made me kind of jealous. Due to it being such a good phone for the money. Whereas I just got a new budget phone, which was kind of rubbish. When I eventually got the money to buy a new phone, the OnePlus Two was about to be released and I did not hesitate. From that moment on I never found a moment I wanted another phone. This year however the battery life went downhill rapidly and I needed a new phone, which after looking at the other phones on the market still couldn’t be anything other than the newest OnePlus. The OnePlus 6. However, now finding myself in the blessed situation of receiving the OnePlus 6T to review. I hope that through sharing my honest experience with this new device that I can get more people to consider getting a OnePlus themselves.
    This year’s Lab is different from previous years, as we will not all give the same reviews over seven days. We had to choose different aspects of the phone that interested us and focus on that. I will share with you, the following four reviews on the OnePlus 6T:

1. Unboxing & Design
    2. Screen unlock
    3. Camera
    4. Software

These reviews will be published over seven days, starting today. So let’s get the unboxing started!

Unboxing the OnePlus 6T:

Before we get started on reviewing the unboxing experience, let’s watch a short teaser of what it was like. Video editing is not my expertise, but I had a fun time doing it and I hope you guys will enjoy it as well!

Now coming to the real review, let’s start with the contents of the reviewers kit. The first items are three very familiar OnePlus protective cases.

- The Karbon bumper case (Top)
    - The Silicone protective case (Middle)
    - The Sandstone protective case (Bottom)

The major difference with these cases is the cut-out for the camera, due to the relocation of the fingerprint sensor to the front of the device. More on that, later this week. Like for its predecessors, the cases for the OnePlus 6T have the same high quality premium feeling. The most rugged, is the Karbon bumper case. The carbon back and the rubber sides make this case look more luxurious and protective than the other two cases, whilst still not too bulky to carry around. On the other side of the spectrum is the sandstone case. This case is probably the least protective of all three, but for me, very reminiscent to the OnePlus Two’s backside. Lastly the red silicone case. If you want a case that stands out, then this is the one for you. With the bright red color, this case will turn some heads. Furthermore this case is lined with a smooth micro-fiber cloth to protect your phone from scratches when inside the case. The best thing about all three of these cases is the added grip to the otherwise pretty slippery phone.

SAM_0944.jpg

In addition to the cases and the main device, the reviewers kit also contained the new OnePlus bullets. They are almost identical to the v2 bullets, but with two differences. They have a USB-C connector instead of the 3.5mm jack. This change was needed, due to the removal of the phones headphone jack. The other change is the addition of an amplifier in the USB-C connector, which should give the new earbuds better sound quality.

SAM_0948_2.jpg

In the box for the earbuds came, the bullets themselves and three sizes of tips, of which the medium ones are already installed. I haven’t previously owned any OnePlus earbuds, but after trying them I must say I like the sound of them. They pack a pretty good base for their size and compared to most other earbuds I have tried. The sound quality overall is quite decent. The fit is fine, but the sharp edges begin to hurt my ears after about an hour of wearing them. Lastly, the cable feels nice, but there is no way of neatly wrapping them up and they will thus always tangle inside your pocket. Overall, a decent pair of good looking earbuds for a very affordable price.

SAM_1055.jpg

The next part is the main event of the unboxing, the phone itself. Starting with the box, the top part of the box is at first glance almost the same as the box of the previous device. However they actually changed a lot, because the white has changed from a smooth white with a glossy six to a textured white with a brushed aluminum six. Furthermore the text on the sides has changed from a shiny aluminum look to a normal black. Lastly the slogan has changed from “The Speed You Need” to “Unlock The Speed”, which obviously refers to the in-display fingerprint sensor as well as the very good performance of the device. Then coming to the inside of the box there are some changes as well, because instead of full red they went with the same colors across the whole box. So the underside is textured white as well.

SAM_0956.jpg

Inside the box are some accessories besides the phone as well, such as a clear protective case. Don’t expect too much from this case, but it is nice to have when you are waiting on the case from your favorite brand to arrive. The next thing is the fast charging power brick and USB-A to USB-C cable. These two are identical to the ones from the previous devices with fast charge, and will charge the new bigger 3700mAH battery of the phone in no time. Next to this a sim tool and some documentation have been added as usual, but there are two other things inside this box. One is a “handwritten” invitation letter and the other a 3.5mm jack to USB-C cable. The invitation letter is a warm welcome to the OnePlus community and the converter cable is added because they removed the 3.5mm jack from the phone. The reason for this being, they managed to put a 400mAh bigger battery inside, as well as the addition of the in-display fingerprint sensor and a smaller chin bezel. In my opinion this does justify the change, but I still don’t like it. Bluetooth has come a long way and charging is not needed as often, but it is still needed. Furthermore and maybe even a bigger issue for me is, it creates a split where some earbuds need a lightning connector, some USB-C and others Micro-USB. This is like we’re going back in time where we needed a different cable for each phone. But it is what it is and we are not getting it back, so we’ll have to get used to it.

SAM_0998.jpg

Getting to the phone itself. I got the Midnight Black model with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. The choices you have are Midnight Black or Mirror Black, 6GB or 8GB of RAM and 128GB or 256GB of storage. Now let’s compare it to the OnePlus 6. It is running on the same processing chip, the Snapdragon 845, and as I already stated, it has a 400mAh bigger battery resulting in a total of 3700mAh. Next to this it has a bigger screen of 6.41 inches instead of 6.28 inches, with a next generation Corning Gorilla Glass 6 front cover. The camera’s have stayed the same, but there is an extra mode named “Nightscape”. More on this later this week. The trusty alert slider is still in the same place as well as the power button and volume rocker.

SAM_0997.jpg

Probable the two most noticeable differences to the device are the in-display fingerprint sensor and the smaller, droplet style, notch. By adding the in-display sensor, the fingerprint sensor on the back could be removed. This gives the phone a cleaner look and is in my opinion an improvement. The droplet style notch is also an improvement to the previous model, and is less intrusive than the bar style notch of its predecessor. Just a heads up for those of you who really hate them, you can still turn it off in the settings. However this smaller notch does also come at a cost, because implementing this was only possible when removing the notification led. I do like that I’m not constantly distracted from notifications when my phone is on the desk, although it will still take some getting used to, but I hate not being able to see if the phone is charging or not. This could however still be changed with a software update, by adding the battery to the screensaver while charging.

merged.jpeg

Conclusion

Now coming to the conclusion of the first review. The unboxing was a treat as always with OnePlus devices. Furthermore the 6T has a very elegant design with improvements over the 6, but there are some features that I’m personally going to miss such as the notification led and the 3.5mm jack. Overall I’m very excited to show the other features about this phone, because they will only make things better.

Next up

The next review will be about the screen unlock. Although the new fingerprint sensor will be the main point of the review, the other methods will pass the review as well.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018

2. RedDustBeast The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 1, 2018

RedDustBeast, Nov 1, 2018 :

Welcome Back

First off, I want to thank you guys for the great response. For me personally it’s amazing how many people have seen/read something I’ve wrote and getting mostly positive feedback is just awesome! Now for the people who put a question in the comments, I shall try to answer them at the end of every next review. Let’s not waste any more time and begin the review.

Screen unlock

As I mentioned in the previous review as well, the in-screen fingerprint sensor is the eyecatcher of the OnePlus 6T. There is only one big question I have: “Does it live up to the hype and what all big youtubers say about it?” Short answer: “almost”.

SAM_1152.jpg

Before I explain the answer I need to tell you something else about my personal life. I already told you I’m very busy with sports in my spare time, but what kind of sports. Well that’s where it becomes interesting. It’s climbing. This maybe doesn’t sound to you as something that matters, but your fingers get scratched up by the holds very much. Which means for me, fingerprint sensors are the worst. Although it depends on the location of the sensor. If the sensor is on the back, it is without a doubt just unusable, because when I put in a fingerprint and go climbing only once it already doesn’t work anymore. This was the reason why I only used face unlock on my OnePlus 6. Now if it’s on the front of the device most of the time it will work, because you don’t use the thumbs as much as the other fingers when climbing. This is why I became very excited about the 6T. However this excitement was tamed down a bit when I first tried to use it. Not that it didn’t work, only that it didn’t function as I hoped for.

So let’s start with the negatives. The first time I put my fingerprints in I probably did something wrong. It did function, but only about half the time and for some reason it was especially difficult to get a good unlock in the morning. The worst moment was when I tried to show it to a colleague at work and with cold hands and a cold phone the sensor just wouldn’t recognize it. Luckily these problems disappeared after I re-entered my fingerprints. Now it functions almost every time. The speed of the sensor is another thing I want to address. After the second time I put in my fingerprints it did almost always recognized my finger, however the speed did differ a lot. Especially when walking, because then your finger placement is not as consistent as when you’re stationary. Furthermore when I try to use it in-between climbing routes it fails to function as I already kind of expected due to the type of sensor. The phone uses a sort of camera to see your fingerprint, but when climbing you use magnesium to prevent sweating. This magnesium fills up the fingerprint and when placing it on the screen it will just see a blur of the finger. Now why am I saying this, well it didn’t happen with the previous sensors. No matter how dirty your hands were the sensor would still work.

Enough of the negatives and let’s focus on the positives. I do really like using a fingerprint sensor, because it’s a very good and easy way of securing your phone. However that is only the case when I can use it more than once before I need to put in a new fingerprint, so thank you OnePlus for putting the sensor back on the front of the display. This means I can use it all day without a problem and after multiple climbing sessions as well. Now the speed of the sensor could still improve in the future and I think it will. However for now it does mean you can see the customizable, very cool, unlock animation longer and maybe impress some friends.

[​IMG]
    Face unlock is the other trademark unlocking feature of OnePlus and for the 6T it is no different. With it’s very fast facial recognition and the dialed down animation time within OxygenOS, it is just scary how fast this phone can unlock with a click of a button. When the setting “automatically unlock once the screen is on” is turned on, most of the time it does not even show the lock screen. That’s how quick it is! So why not just keep it at the face unlock and skip the fingerprint? Well the problem comes at night. I like listening to music in bed and when the light is off, the phone can’t detect a face. Now it does have a way of overcoming this problem by lighting up the screen as a kind of flashlight, but who wants a flashlight in their face when they are chilling in bed listening to music.

Let’s talk about the perfect combination. If you use face unlock in conjunction with the fingerprint sensor it is one of the best unlock experiences I have had with any phone so far. Throughout the day it doesn’t matter if the fingerprint sensor fails sometimes, because the phone is already unlocked by your face once it doesn’t recognize your finger. Later when your in a dark room or area the phone is not presenting you with a very bright white display, but you can just unlock it with a pretty fast fingerprint sensor. This also saves taking of your gloves in the winter, because then you can just use the facial recognition. However this will only work when you got a pair of gloves with touch tips in the fingers.

Other unlocking options like the pattern, pin and password will always exist as a backup and depending on your paranoia you can choose the amount of characters or numbers for the password or pin. When
    you have really important data on your phone, there is an option to encrypt your phone as well.

Conclusion

Although it still has a way to go before it’s as fast as the other sensors on the market, it shows a lot of potential and is very useable. I would even say that it is good enough to function as the only unlocking mechanism on a phone. However the combination of face unlock and the fingerprint sensor is in my opinion still the best way of ‘unlocking the speed’ of the OnePlus 6T or any other phone for that matter.

Next up

The next review will be the camera and I will say, I think it’s a good one! Where this review just has a lot of text, the camera review will be a lot more elaborate and with photographic references.

Q&A

This was the first comment and immediately one I knew I have to answer. However I just simply can’t do it right now, because I am still trying it out and comparing it to other phones. Therefor I will keep this question for the last part of these reviews, which will be next Wednesday. So keep up if you still want to know it by then.

So I already answered this at the time, but here is my answer once more:

Normally I'm a naked phone kinda guy, however now I have the cases I am trying them out as well. Mostly I'm trying to switch them up a bit so I can get a good idea of the differences, but I keep coming back to the Karbon case. So if I had to make a choice right now, I would go for the Karbon.

Well this wasn’t a question, but I do Acknowledge a lack of explanation at the start of the review. Therefor just for clarity the cases and the earbuds came with the reviewers kit. For everyone getting a OnePlus 6T themselves, only the box with the big six on it will be included in the price. For the contents of this box, please read the previous review.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018

3. RedDustBeast The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 1, 2018

Welcome Back

Here we are for round three, the camera review. This means as well that the poll will be closed and I’m going to tell which picture from the first review was taken with the OnePlus 6T. From a total of 64 people who voted there was only about a quarter of you who chose the right picture. This is in my opinion already a pretty good indication that the OnePlus 6T has an amazing camera which can produce some high quality pictures, but now let’s see the picture.

SAM_0944.jpg

Camera

Before I will throw around all the pictures I took with the OnePlus 6T, I want to show the video quality as well. This is why I made a video about a day in a city near me. In this video all places I visited to take the pictures for the review will pass by and even most of the pictures themselves. Furthermore the whole video was shot on the OnePlus 6T as well and is a mix between 4K 60 fps, 1080p 240 fps and 720p 480 fps. I did edit the video in 1080p, because my laptop just couldn’t handle the 4k 60 fps. Just as a disclaimer this was filmed with a gimbal, although the 6T does have optical image stabilization (OIS) and Electronic image stabilization (EIS). Now as the camera’s stayed the same from the 6 to the 6T I assume the workings of it did as well. This means the OIS is used for shooting photo’s and video on 60 fps and EIS is used for video’s on 30 fps. The reason for this is that the EIS is better for shooting smooth video, however at 60 fps this most likely takes too much from the processor and RAM. Now let’s see the video!

Some background about myself with a camera, I do like taking pictures and trying to get the best. However I’m nowhere near a professional. This means I don’t know and simply can’t see all the differences between the 6T’s camera and a professional DSLR, but I will try my best to show the potential of the camera from the 6T. For most photo’s I just used the default photo mode with HDR on auto, but for the night photo’s I took some with and others without HDR and some with and others without the Nightscape mode. I will explain more about these features later in this review. So the first pictures are from graffiti. I chose these two pictures, because they show a high level of detail and a good mix of very bright colors. I can’t show the quality of color representation, but for these pictures I can tell you it’s exactly what I saw in real life.

IMG_20181027_134543.jpg

IMG_20181027_133716.jpg

The next two pictures have big planes of one color in them. In the first of the two this is perfectly captured, however in the second picture the sun is partly in the frame as well and causes some artifacts in the picture. One is the lens flare just above the first ‘I’ in Philips, but this is insurmountable and doesn’t bother me. The artifact that is less desirable and where you can see the phone is doing some image manipulation, is around the sun. Here you can see some sharper lines where the brightness is lowered in a couple of hard stages. Personally I think this comes from the HDR that kicked in for this picture, where it tried to compensate for the brightness of the sun, but with these big differences it still couldn’t perfectly do it.

IMG_20181027_142442.jpg

IMG_20181027_145207.jpg

The next two pictures were made at the Dutch Design Week (DDW) and were made just after it rained. This resulted in way less vibrant pictures, but now you can start to see the limits of a camera on a phone. The lower light scenario also results in less sharp pictures. When viewing this on a phone it is no problem, which means posting it on Facebook or Instagram is no problem at all. However if you try to print these pictures bigger than just your phone screen, you will see a lot of quality difference between this camera and a DSLR or pocket camera. For most people this doesn’t matter, including myself. Though it is something you need to keep in mind if you think this might replace your bigger camera, because there is a reason that they are way bigger than the camera in your phone.

IMG_20181027_154930.jpg

IMG_20181027_155222.jpg

This phone just like every other phone on the market has the capability to create a panorama. In the picture below you can see an overview of the DDW. It automatically chose the brightness and as you can see the clouds are perfect, but the ground is a little too dark. Luckily this can easily be solved by some basic editing or by retaking the panorama and selecting the ground as the focus of the image. The stitching however is very good and you can’t see there is any, other than the bird flying through the picture.

IMG_20181027_155438.jpg

Just one more picture before we go to the night and low light shots. This picture was taken at the climbing center and I really like it, because it shows so much texture in the foreground whereas the background is a little more blurred out. This gives way more depth effect than just an overall sharp picture.

IMG_20181028_162951.jpg

Nightscape is another feature that OnePlus put in the 6T and there is some good news for people who have or are going to buy the previous OnePlus 6 as well, because this Nightscape mode is coming to that phone as well. Well it’s nice the camera has an extra feature, but what is it and what can it do? The Nightscape mode enables you to easily take pictures in low light situations without really knowing how the pro mode of the camera works. So overall it doesn’t have any extra features compared to the pro mode, but it is automatic. With it’s advanced algorithms it can detect different scenes and pre determine the exposure time for the image. This does mean you have to keep your phone pretty still, but with the Optical Image Stabilization you can move a little before the quality drops rapidly. So if you’re trying to take a group picture when you’re out with your friends drinking, this mode is not for you. The default photo mode is a better option for you in this case. It still optimizes the photo, but without the longer exposure time. This means the quality will be lower and more grainy, but the subjects in the picture won’t be blurry. Now let’s just see a picture with the Nightscape mode before I go further into detail.

IMG_20181103_203646.jpg

As you can see the colors are very nice and vibrant and this was all done without any extra fiddling around with settings. This makes this mode very effective for many people who don’t understand all the different settings in the pro mode of the camera. There are however some negatives about this mode as well, because although it does a very good job at capturing a low light situation. You do need a tripod or something to hold your phone very still to get a perfect night image. This can be seen in the picture below. In the normal photo mode the image is very dark. This is way better in the Nightscape mode and zoomed in you can even see some stars. The only thing is when you zoom in, you can clearly see it is a little blurry. This is because although I held it against something flat, I still held the phone in my hands while taking this picture.

Nightscape example.jpg

This next example shows what it can do with a little more light. Due to a little more light, the exposure time goes down. Which results in a picture that is very sharp, especially if you take into account I held it in my hands while taking it.

IMG_20181103_210028.jpg

High Dynamic Range (HDR) is another mode of the camera. This is another one of the very well executed features about this camera and in the next picture you can see it as well. Without the HDR mode enabled you can only get the very bright or the very dark parts in the picture, but with the HDR mode enabled you can get some extraordinary pictures you otherwise couldn’t get.

HDR example.jpg

The portrait mode is the last feature of the camera on this device. It’s a feature all phones have these days and just like all other phones it’s fine, but not fantastic. It clearly blurs the background, but the edge around the subject is blurry as well. For the image below this is not a big problem, however there are a lot of situations where a small blur on the edge of the subject just looks stupid. So it’s not perfect, but there is not a phone on the market yet which can produce these types of pictures perfectly.

Portrait mode example.jpg

Conclusion

Personally I would say the camera of the OnePlus 6T is in one word fantastic. Especially for a camera, on a phone! I know from pictures I’ve seen from the Pixel 3 it’s better than the one on the 6T, however the 6T is about half the money and the Pixel 3’s camera performance is not twice as good. Another thing, you can’t replace your DSLR with this phone or any phone for that matter. However for any amateur or people who don’t want to carry their DSLR around all the time, I would very much recommend the OnePlus 6T.

Next up

I hope you liked this review. The next review will be about the software. In this review I will cover some nice features I think come in handy in your day to day life. If you want to read it, please come back on Wednesday evening.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018

4. RedDustBeast The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 1, 2018

Welcome Back

Thank you for coming back for the last part of the review series. Before I am going to tell more about the software of the OnePlus 6T I once again want to thank OnePlus for this opportunity, because although it took a lot of time and effort to create these reviews. It is something I never did before, but something I really want to do again. It’s so much fun to dig deep into a phone and then trying to find the best way of telling you guys what I found. So I hope you liked reading them as well and maybe you’ll read from me again, but before that here is the last review.

Software

This review won’t be a very long one, but I will highlight some nice software features of the OnePlus 6T that I personally find very nice or useful. The reason this review is pretty short is, because OxygenOS is very much stock android with some added features. Therefor I don’t think I can come up with a lot of negative comments on OxygenOS except for one. This one piece of feedback and what I really hope they will implement is something I wrote in my first review as well, they got rid of the notification LED and did not implement an alternative in the software. I do understand they think the notification LED is something of the past, especially with the AMOLED display. However I simply can not understand why they didn’t implement some other easy way of showing the notifications in a non-intrusive way. This could simply be done with some kind of always on display or something like that, but it’s simply not implemented yet. Just to be clear it might sound as I’m not satisfied with OxygenOS, but it’s only this one feature that is missing, otherwise it’s pretty much perfect.

Let’s start with the handy/useful features of the OnePlus 6T. Before I will go into detail I show in a picture the different settings tabs I will go into. This way you can scroll down to the tab you’re interested in and skip all settings you already know. Furthermore for every settings tab, I will show another screenshot so you know exactly where to find the setting I’m talking about. So let’s look at the settings I will talk about.

Settings-Screen.png

1 Display

In the display menu of the settings are a lot of handy features I use and a couple of which I think other people will like to know the existence of. So first of Night mode, this is a more common feature on phones these days, but I really like it. As you might know blue light is a sign for your brain that it’s time to be awake and your phone gives off a lot of blue light. This means your brain will take a lot longer to become tired even when you probably should already be sleeping. With this feature enabled, you can set it automatically with sunset and sunrise or manually, the phone will display less blue in the picture giving it a red hue. This provides a more natural environment for your brain when it’s time to go to sleep. Reading mode is another feature which is tied to your health. However this one is to make it easier for your eyes to focus on a non e-paper display. The way it works is by taking away all color from the screen. This way your eyes will supposedly have an easier time reading on the display. Notch display is one setting on this phone I personally don’t use, but it’s nice to have the option. In this menu you can choose to turn the notch on or off. Another thing to mention is that with the AMOLED display, when the notch is turned off, it is almost invisible. The reason for this is AMOLED displays can turn individual pixels on and off and therefore black is really black. Dark Theme is one of the themes you can choose on this phone. It is kind of an extension to the Night mode, but this makes the background in settings tabs black instead of white. Now you won’t be flooded with a bright white display whenever you open the settings menu. Lastly for the display menu is the Status bar. In this menu there is one thing I would like to highlight which is “show battery percentage”, because the way the battery is normally shown you can’t get a very good indication to the real juice left. However if you turn this setting on you can see the battery level in a percentage, this makes life a lot easier.

Display-Screen.png

2 Sound

The Audio Tuner is mostly just an equalizer. It has one additional setting which is called sound enhancement. This setting gives some presets for different OnePlus devices and the JBL E1+. The rest of this feature is the equalizer itself with as well some presets for different music genres, but you can always customize it yourself of course.

Sound-Screen.png

3 Buttons & gestures

In the buttons & gestures menu there are three handy features. The Navigation bar & gestures tab let’s you choose your style of navigating the system. You can choose the old style with the back, home and recents buttons or you can choose the new style navigation. Navigation with gestures. This one I personally really like, because it gives you more screen real estate and the gestures are very easy and intuitive. Next up are the Quick gestures, these gestures are very useful and there are two types. System gestures. These are gestures like flip your phone to block an incoming calls, three-finger screenshot and answer a call by holding your phone to your ear. The others are gestures for when the screen is off. You can double tap to wake the phone or draw on the screen while it’s off to open apps or control your music. Especially the music gestures are nice, because the screen uses the most battery and now you can control it without turning the screen on. Lastly the Quick turn on camera setting in the buttons & gestures is a nice feature which helps you take pictures faster. Just double tap the power button and the camera will open instantly.

Buttons&Gestures-Screen.png

4 Utilities

This is the last menu I will highlight. Here you find the best features added to android by OnePlus. First of Gaming mode, when this mode is turned on it can block calls, hide notifications and disable automatic brightness. However maybe the best of all is the network boost this feature has to offer, because when it’s turned on it makes sure the game you’re running will get the most data usage. This way you will have less lag when playing your favorite games. Quick launch is a new feature on the 6T and can be accessed when holding your finger on the screen after your fingerprint is read. It will then open up a menu with a maximum of six different apps or shortcuts of your choosing. One of these features I turned on the moment I saw it was the Scheduled power on/off. With this feature the phone can automatically turn on or of at a time you specified. I configured it only for turning on, at a the time just before I need to wake up. Normally I don’t turn off my phone, but if for whatever reason it got turned off I won’t miss my alarm. Now the last feature of OnePlus software that comes in handy is OnePlus Switch. This feature makes it very easy for you to switch between your old device and your new OnePlus device. This was the last feature on the list, but it is as well the conclusion of my overall experience with the OnePlus 6T as you can read in the post below.

Utilities-Screen.png

This was the last review of the series, however I did mention I would answer this question:

Therefor the following post is an overall conclusion and an answer to whether I will keep using the phone as well.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

5. RedDustBeast The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 1, 2018

Final Conclusion

Let’s begin with saying the OnePlus 6T is a very good phone and it’s changes were very strategically planned, because the hype around the in-display fingerprint sensor tames down the fuss about the loss of the headphone jack and notification LED a bit. Furthermore they probably did it on purpose with the 6T, because this means people will be used to it once the OnePlus 7 will be launched. However does this mean you shouldn’t get this phone? Well it depends. If you need a new phone and listen to music via either USB-C or Bluetooth, then go for it! This phone won’t disappoint you, because the in screen fingerprint sensor is already pretty good and will only improve in the future and the smaller notch is nice to have. However if you’re a music lover and use wired (3.5mm jack) earbuds or headphones, then I would still recommend the OnePlus 6 over the 6T. Sure you won’t have the bigger battery and a bigger notch, but you will save some money and the power of the OnePlus 6 is good enough to get you through a full day in my experience. If you’re still in doubt, you do get a dongle with the phone so even if you do have wired earbuds or headphones you can still listen to music with them if you really want to.

Now coming back to the question. I will keep using the OnePlus 6T, but if I had to buy it I wouldn’t have. The reason for this, I only had wired earbuds with 3.5mm jack and I personally don’t mind the notch of the OnePlus 6. However I do like the in-display fingerprint sensor, because it’s on the front of the device and I can keep using it after multiple climbing sessions. Furthermore I got the type-C bullets now as well, so listening to music isn’t a problem for me anymore.

Final note
    Thanks again to OnePlus for giving me this opportunity and of course thank you and everyone else who read my reviews. I hope you enjoyed reading them as much as I liked writing them. If you still have any questions just ask them in the comments and I will try to answer them.

Just one more picture for good measure. This picture just barely didn’t make the final cut for the unboxing review, hope you still like it.
    SAM_1010.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

6. parag008 Gingerbread Nov 1, 2018

parag008, Nov 1, 2018 :
    same story like everytime reviewers commend the device so much...
    i would like to how many of them still use the device they have reviewed to be so amazing?

7. TheLuxeon99 Cupcake Nov 1, 2018

8. Greenforty Honeycomb Nov 1, 2018

basil310 likes this.
  9. Its.Leandroo The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Nov 1, 2018

Its.Leandroo, Nov 1, 2018 :
    I still use it, and I still think the same about it.

On topic: Awesome review!

10. Alvie The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Nov 1, 2018

Alvie, Nov 1, 2018 :
    Me too!

Great review so far :) which case is your favourite?

buntycubal likes this.
  11. Sampath_Kumar_ Honeycomb Nov 1, 2018

aris and Michizuri like this.
  12. RedDustBeast The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 1, 2018

Normally I'm a naked phone kinda guy, however now I have the cases I am trying them out as well. Mostly I'm trying to switch them up a bit so I can get a good idea of the differences, but I keep coming back to the Karbon case. So if I had to make a choice right now, I would go for the Karbon.

13. Plenkske Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 1, 2018

Plenkske, Nov 1, 2018 :
    Nice ! Very good review so far with a nive video and great pictures.

I think the Sandstone Protective case and the Karbon Bumper case are the best cases by OnePlus. Used them both and they give grip and some protection.
    Last tuesday I decided to do something else. I had some dbrand skins in house for a while and changed my Karbon Bumper on OP6 with the black camo skin :) The phone feels so thin now haha, but I still have grip from the skin.

dsmonteiro likes this.
  14. GOWTHAM.BANALA Froyo Nov 1, 2018

GOWTHAM.BANALA, Nov 1, 2018 :
    It's costs high so.!

15. MarkoBatrac Gingerbread Nov 1, 2018

MarkoBatrac, Nov 1, 2018 :
    Why are you here then ? If you dont like oneplus dont use it.. I tried every other manufacturer and always going back to oneplus.

J1541808863284 likes this.
  16. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Nov 1, 2018

SoniaB, Nov 1, 2018 :
    Great Intro and unboxing. Love the pics.
    I voted in the poll, I guessed [​IMG]

GopalB. and buntycubal like this.
  17. robinevers Honeycomb Nov 1, 2018

robinevers, Nov 1, 2018 :
    Because it's faster

18. DARTH 007 Jelly Bean Nov 1, 2018

DARTH 007, Nov 1, 2018 :
    free phones
    they will all be using them for a long time

parag008 and buntycubal like this.
  19. Falk Thieme The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 1, 2018

Falk Thieme, Nov 1, 2018 :
    I hope you realize that these phones are in no way free to us. We are all adults and time is very valuable. Combining the time spent on using the device to get a good enough impression of it, taking pictures of, and with the device for review purposes, and actually making the reviews takes dozens of hours. It is a lot of fun to dig deep and give our best into these reviews, but it is not easy, or free.

20. Falk Thieme The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 1, 2018

Falk Thieme, Nov 1, 2018 :
    Great review mate! I love the video at the start, it really ads a nice touch and even with minimal equipment you made a pretty sick clip!