The LAB - OnePlus 6T Review - by zepedropaulos

1. zepedropaulos The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 2, 2018

zepedropaulos, Nov 2, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

Hello everyone,

First of all, I cannot start without giving a big shoutout to OnePlus, for giving me this opportunity of reviewing this new device, and having it before anyone else. I hope I fill all the expectations, theirs and yours. I also wanna make this a commune process where we can all share our thoughts, so feel free to ask anything about the device, I’ll be happy to answer.

Without further ado, let’s begin: The OnePlus 6T LAB Review.

The Unboxing:

I am an unboxing-o-phile. The whole experience start with the reception of a package in the mailbox, cut off the plastic, and get to see what’s inside. This time it was a white, soft-touch, box with the OnePlus red logo standing in the middle. The box is closed by some kind of magnets which makes this whole unboxing even more satisfying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prepare yourselves, this will be a box-ception: inside the first box, we get the actual device box, another box with some accessories and the Bullets Type-C earbuds and a small box with a phone stand and a red microfiber OnePlus branded cleaning cloth. OnePlus was kind enough to include three of their beautiful first-party cases - the red silicone, the black nylon and the sandstone (my personal favorite, although the red one + the black phone is an amazing combo).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside of the actual box, as soon as you slide the top out, there’s the OnePlus 6T in all its glory - I was a little bit disappointed that they’ve ditched the red on this box, it was that splash of color that you’d expect from OnePlus, nonetheless it still looks great - and it gives you already a tip, by a sticker, about the in-screen fingerprint reader. OnePlus does think of everything, the inside of the box is covered in a soft padding that protects the phone during shipping. The device is laying in a plastic tray that gives you the opportunity of “clicking” the phone out of it. You pop out the phone, and a fingerprint-like-drawing shows up right in the middle, just as asking you to slip your finger in there to take that little box out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boxception continue as inside of it you will find a case - it is just a normal black TPU silicone case but it’s a nice touch of OnePlus to include a case, and also a pre-applied screen protector - holding the box with the SIM ejector tool, safety information and the coolest quick-start guide ever that is also a poster when you turn it around. Oh! Of course and some OnePlus stickers with some cool sayings, I’ll be rocking the “Proud Member” one on my laptop.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then, below it, is just the usual (super) fast charging power brick and the USB-A to Type-C charging cable. Ah, yes, and the 3.5mm to type-C adapter due to the all-new removal of the headphone jack. RIP. And that basically sums up the unboxing experience of the OP6T. This is not, at all, my first OnePlus unboxing, I remember the hype of unboxing my OP2, and the pleasure it gave me, and that hype and pleasure still got to me on the 6T. Well done OnePlus.​

[​IMG]

Getting into The Design:

There’s not much differences from the previous model, the OnePlus 6, here. It is still the same glass and metal “sandwich” uni-body, with, in my case, this gorgeous MirrorBlack finish that gives you a cool reflection in an S shape. ‘Tho, is a fingerprint magnet, that for sure, but nothing that one of those amazing cases from before won’t solve. But, if you are one of those who hates rocking a case and/or just hates fingerprint on the back of the device, you should probably go for the Midnight Black version which has a crazy matte black glass finish which is unique by OnePlus. Nevertheless, the company still didn’t incorporate wireless charging, nor any kind of IP rating, although it states that the device will survive to some splashes, rain or an eventual drop in a puddle.​

[​IMG]

The 6T is a tiny bit thicker than its older brother which you can’t barely see it but you can feel it on the first time you hold it. It kind of makes it even more comfortable to hold that the 6, it has a more pronounced curved on the back that makes it super ergonomic to the hand. It is also, half a millimeter taller that the 6 but is super not noticeable.​

[​IMG]

Although is basically the same body, there are three big changes on it, in my opinion. The first and more obvious one, the lack of a physical (exterior at least) fingerprint sensor. That’s because OnePlus include it beneath the screen, calling it Screen Unlock. We will get more into it in a specific topic of this review. So, stay tuned.

[​IMG]

The second change is, the removal, the lack, the death of the headphone jack. I am really sad about this one, I really think that OnePlus could have got the space to include it on the 6T. Specially knowing that most of its community does prefer having the jack. Ok, it does include the adapter in the box, and the sound through the Bullets Type-C is pretty good, but there’s nothing like having the jack and, not being worried to have another (little, lost-able) piece of hardware, and specially, there’s nothing like being able to charge your phone and listen to music at the same time. (Of course you can tell me that we can use bluetooth earpieces but, in my opinion, we still don’t live in a truly wireless perfect world.) I think that OnePlus opted more for a trend than listening to the costumers.​

[​IMG]

The third, and last change is, of course, the notch. On the 6T we get an all new design of the notch, we passed from a “normal”, but tiny notch, to a “teardrop” shaped notch. I think that, if we really have to have a notch, be like this one. It is elegant, it is small, and it still holds it purpose - to accommodate the front facing camera. And with that, the earpiece was moved to the frame of the phone, and, unfortunately, we lost the notification LED. That might look like a tiny little thing, but for me was a big bummer, it probably bothered me more than the fact of not having a headphone jack. And I’m pretty sure that, for the LED, OnePlus could have really find the space to put it. We can go more deep into it on the software analysis, where we can talk about the always-on display. ​

[​IMG]

All in all, the design is great, it is a well built device, with good materials and a premium feel. I love that this phone has a differential design that makes people ask “What phone is that?”, in an era where all phones are starting to look all the same. And that fingerprint scanner on the screen is definitely a conversation starter.

And that’s all for today folks, meet me here tomorrow for the next topic of this review!​

2. zepedropaulos The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 2, 2018

Stickied Post
    Welcome back!
    Let’s get today’s topic started.

The Screen Unlock:

As I mentioned on the last topic one of the biggest changes on the OnePlus 6T is the integration of the fingerprint scanner beneath the screen. Technically it is an optical scanner that projects light, at full brightness, so it can read your print. And that’s basically it.

[​IMG]

To me, the fingerprint scanner should be in the front of the device, for practicality. I was already used to rear scanners like the one on the OnePlus 6 or previous devices, so, for me, this is a big improvement. It is a lot easier to unlock your phone as it lays on the table, when holding your phone, when you’re laying in bed, etc… it is just a more natural way to do it, specially in a big phone like this.

[​IMG]

The sensor is not as fast, nor accurate, as the “physical” one on the 6, but it really gets the job done. Personally I had no major issues while using it. Besides a couple times where it took longer, like a second or two, to unlock it works flawlessly. I’m willing to “wait” a little more for my phone to unlock and have it on the front of the device. It also works pretty well with wet hands or dirty hands. I remember that my Galaxy S6 had some problems reading my print if i had my hands a little bit wet but the OnePlus 6T worked just fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The position of the sensor is good, it is in the place where your finger naturally rests, with no effort needed to reach it. I say this cause from what I’ve seen, for example, the Huawei Mate 20 Pro, I think the sensor area is a little bit too high. But that’s not the case here. You will have no problems. It just works on that little area where the “fingerprint icon” shows up (not big rectangle areas as we’ve seen in other devices, nonetheless is more than enough). You can also change the animation that appears when you touch the sensor from three options.

[​IMG]

But this is not the only way you get to unlock your device. You still got the FaceUnlock, which you can use simultaneously with the fingerprint, that uses the front facing camera to read your face, there’s no crazy FaceID tech like on the iPhone, but works insanely fast and flawlessly. I think it works even better than it worked on the 6, but it might me just my impression. In some cases you don’t even get the chance to unlock it with you finger, as soon as you power up the screen it goes instantaneously to your home screen. I think that OnePlus could have upgraded this technique to one similar to the FaceID by Apple, or the iris scanner by Samsung, just some piece of tech that would make it more 2018 and more secure.

[​IMG]

On the whole OnePlus did great with this piece of tech. It made the 6T worth of its place in the market of flagship devices in late 2018, pushing the boundaries of what we can do with and in our smartphones. Unlocking your phone never felt more natural, and it will never be the same. Prepare to “wow” your friends, this will definitely start the conversation.

That’s it on the Screen Unlock friends. Stay tuned!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

3. zepedropaulos The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 2, 2018

Stickied Post
    OxygenOS

What’s up guys, welcome back!

It’s been two weeks using the OnePlus 6T and today I will share my experience regarding the software. OnePlus’s devices run OxygenOS over Android - in this case 9.0 (Pie) - a close to stock approach with some little tweaks that make the overall experience a lot smoother, intuitive and enjoyable.

In my opinion this is the best Android skin on the market. As I said, it resembles stock like Pixel devices, but they give some features and tools that help you take more advantage out of your phone, as well as all the weapons you need to personalize it to your taste while keeping you safe from all that bloatware and duplicated apps that most of other manufactures impose you. Design wise OxygenOS has a minimalistic, geometric style all over the stock apps and icons which turns everything more simple and pleasing to the eye.

[​IMG]

On personalization, OxygenOS gives you the option of changing the UI to a dark theme, changing the accent color of the theme (now you can choose any color from the spectrum), you can also change the icon pack directly on the stock launcher, change the font (you can only choose from Roboto or OnePlus Slate, which is disappointing, I wish OnePlus added the option on a future OOS update so we can add other fonts), change viewing zooms, change the animation of the fingerprint reader (go check previous topic to see them all), also you can change the icons that are showed in the status bar, or even, if you’re not a notch person you can hide it, where that area will turn black but it will continue to show time, status and notifications.

But that’s not all, on top of this bunch of personalization options, OxygenOS offers you a ton of useful features that turns the overall experience smoother and more intuitive. Starting with the navigation gestures: OnePlus made a great job on this, you can change the navigation settings from the usual three button system, the Pixel-like navigation with two buttons, or this gestures that resemble the iOS ones. Although, probably, not as smooth, this is my favorite kind of navigation on the 6T. They are fluid and work flawlessly. You can see on the GIF’s below how they work, and OnePlus added on this last version of OxygenOS a new gesture that lets you quickly shuffle between your current app and the last used, works great.

Home

[​IMG]

Multitask

[​IMG]

Back

[​IMG]

On this basis of gestures, OxygenOS gives you the option of what they call “Quick Gestures” which include some neat gestures that you can draw with you screen turned off that activate some actions: drawing an O, a V, an S, an M, or a W to quick launch some app or action, I have the O for the camera and the V for the flashlight; drawing a pause icon ( | | - two lines with two fingers ) to start/stop music, or an arrow pointing right or left to switch between tracks and finally double tap to wake the screen. You can even silence a call turning you phone around, take a screenshot with a three-finger swipe, or answering a call taking the phone directly to you ear without making any swipe to take the call. And, the one I probably use the most, a double press on the power button to launch the camera.

[​IMG]

Other cool features are the Reading and Gaming mode which, respectively, turn you screen onto grayscale for better and more comfortable reading, and boost performance and the RAM usage for the game while also silencing all the notifications so you are not disturbed while playing your favorite games. About comfort, you can also change the screen color calibration from DCI-P3 to sRGB, or Adaptive Mode (which uses the ambient sensor to calibrate the screen temperature) or even a personalized custom calibration.

Although it doesn’t have to do with software, I wanna mention and praise the inclusion of the OnePlus’s trademark alert slider that gives you an hardware “tone-switch” from ring to vibrate to silent, that I think it’s precious and that other manufactures should start including on their devices. It’s one of the best features on this phone.

[​IMG]

In the long run, OxygenOS is one of the main features of OnePlus’s devices. It’s what makes the overall experience so fluid and enjoyable, with snappy response times, quick animations and those little tweaks over stock Android that makes it one of, if not the, best Android skin on any phone.
    And that’s it mates, on the next days will finish it all with the camera review. Meet me here! Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

4. zepedropaulos The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 2, 2018

Stickied Post
    Camera

Hello everyone and welcome back!

Today I’ll write the final post on this LAB review. I’ll start by going onto the last topic - the camera - and then I’ll make a conclusion, talking about the overall pros and cons about the device.

So, let’s do it.

The Camera(s):

The OnePlus 6T carries the same sensors as its previous brother, spec-wise has two rear cameras with Sony sensors: the main has now both OIS and EIS with 16MP, f/1.7 and a 1.22µm pixel size, and the secondary 20MP also with f/1.7 and a 1.0µm pixel size, no OIS on this one, but this is just a depth sensor. The 6T is capable of 4K and 1080p recording at both 30 and 60fps, 720p at 30fps, slow motion 1080p at 240fps and keeps having the super slow-mo mode with 720p videos at 480fps. The front camera is also a Sony sensor with 16MP and EIS with an f/2.0 aperture and 1.0µm pixel size, with 1080p and 720p video recording at 30fps, and is also capable of time-lapse recording, if that’s a thing for you…

I’m not a professional photographer, at all, but I like carrying around a good camera that gives me the ability of taking quick, good shots, even if that camera is a phone. And the 6T gets the job (really) well done. It takes great sharp shots with good white balance a great color range, featuring a great HDR mode.

[​IMG]

Low light shots are good, mostly thanks to the OIS and EIS, which help reducing the noise caused by slight movements. And with the 6T, OnePlus introduces a new nightmode which they are calling Nightscape that takes a less-than-two-seconds shot that, with the longer exposure, produces brighter scenes - basically the same thing that Google is doing in its Pixel devices. The results are good, but sometimes I get some really blurry/pastel shots in some areas. But that’s a thing I think OnePlus can solve with a software update.

[​IMG]

Portrait mode is not a thing that I use on a daily basis but I think that the 6T gets it pretty well done, with great edge detection, a good background blur - not over done - with great dynamic range and clarity. On the selfie camera you can also shoot portrait shots and they are pretty good as well, in some cases I even think that it gets it better than the rear cameras.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OnePlus offers straight out of the box Google Lens integration on the stock camera app, alongside with the usual panorama, time-lapse and slow motion mode. The camera app is a great one, it is snappy, smooth, minimal and intuitive. For me one of the best apps on any device. It is super easy to use, and still gives you the option of a Pro Mode - which works perfectly - giving you the possibility to control the ISO, the shutter time, the white balance, focus range, etc, and still being super intuitive and user friendly.

[​IMG]

All in all, the 6T’s camera performance its really solid, offering great performance during daylight, and now, better shots on low-light conditions. Of course it is not as good as some other flagship devices like the Pixel, the iPhone XS or Samsung Note 9, but it is also not on that price range so I would not compare them - tho, the camera you get here on this one it’s super, I mean, super good for the price you’re paying. Keep in mind that this phone costs, basically, half the price as the ones I’ve mentioned and still offers you a great camera performance. You’ll not be disappointed. I’ve been using it for the past weeks as my daily photography device and it as not let me down once, living up to the stakes I had for it. In an era that the best cameras live up to the software post-processing that is made when you take a shot, I’m really hoping that OnePlus can bump these cameras performance with software updates.

And that wraps it up on the camera folks.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

5. zepedropaulos The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 9, 2018

Stickied Post
    zepedropaulos, Nov 9, 2018 :
    The Conclusion

[​IMG]

I’ll start by The Cons to end in glory, so be it:

[No IP Rating] I was really hoping that on this T line OnePlus would finally include some kind of official waterproofing rating, but that did not happen and it’s sad to see that, in a device like this, this is lacking, when all of the 2018 flagships - and not only - have it.

[No jack] For some of you this may not be a con, but as a personal review, it is. We still do not live in a truly wireless world where bluetooth reins and there’s no need for wires. Most of the peripherals that are being sold are still wired, or at least the wireless offer is not as good/worthy, and I think that on the 6T OnePlus could have manage to fit in.

[No LED] Again, this might not be a problem for some of you. Having a notification LED, for as dumb as it may sound, was always a thing that kept me on Android devices rather than iPhones. It’s that effortless way to see that you phone is charged because that little light is green, or still charging because its red, or that you have a text message because its blue, or a WhatsApp message because it blinks green… It’s a small thing, but a phone is made from small things.

[No stereo speakers] The speakers on the OnePlus 6T must be its worst part. They’re OK, but that’s it, OK. We’ve been seeing more and more devices including this kind of technology and since we’ve still got a little bit of chin down there why not put it there as the one on the top?

[No wireless charging] OnePlus changed its all design language on the OnePlus 6 with its new glass-on-glass body, and with it, they decided - I don’t know why - not to include wireless charging on the 6. I was really hoping that this would be an upgrade on the T line, just as the waterproofing. Personally it’s not a thing that I use a lot, but still, my Galaxy S6 from 2015 had it..

[No expandable storage] Of course OnePlus already upgraded the base model for some great 128GB of internal storage, but, if you are going to give me a dual-SIM card tray,why not use it as well as an SDCard slot? I bet it wouldn’t be a huge job and it would be another “plus” for the device.

Well that was a big list of cons. Some of them are not really cons, rather some “lacks”. They are not - at all - deal breakers but some little things that I miss on this device that could really improve my overall experience with it.

[​IMG]

Let’s move on with The Pros:

[OxygenOS] As I’ve said on the software review, OxygenOS is one of my favorite skins over android on the market. It really helps you taking the best advantage of the 6T with those little neat tweaks making the overall experience super smooth and pleasing.

[Battery] I did not covered this topic on my review, but its definitely one of the strongest points of the 6T. OnePlus pushed the battery capacity from 3300mAh to 3700mAh, and if it was already super good on the 6, it just got even better on the 6T. I’ve been getting 6-7h of average SOT with heavy-moderate usage. It rarely happened but, if you ever need to boost it up on a rush, the OnePlus Fast Charging, as one of the fastest on the market, won’t let you down and will give you a lot of juice in no time, they claim a day of usage in a 30min plug and, personally, I cannot deny it!

[Screen] The screen on the 6T is huge, and gorgeous. Of course its not a 2K screen, but its a great 1080p Optic AMOLED screen with great viewing angles, popping colors and deep blacks. Also the new notch design is great, it is so small you don’t even notice it, and still provides you with more screen real estate to use.

[Speed] This may sound like nothing important, but it’s basically the thing that will bother you - or not -the most while using the phone. I hate slow things, and the 6T never let me down once. It is quick on and with everything you throw in it. Performance will not be a problem at all.

[Screen Unlock] OnePlus also pushed the boundaries on this one, for its price tag, putting in a in-display fingerprint sensor is bonkers. And it works perfectly. No flaws. It’s a great piece of technology that once again, makes that the overall usage of the phone can be a lot more intuitive and smooth.

[Price] Yes, this, my friends, is still one - if not the - pro of OnePlus devices. Even with a higher price than the ones they performed on the first ones, OnePlus can still manage to have a super competitive price for a great device with a spec list worthy of the flagship title. Putting it on a hard-to-compete spot with other devices in its price range.

And that basically sums up the 6T in some topics. It’s been more that two weeks using this phone and I couldn’t be happier with it - only if those cons would fade away. The OnePlus 6T definitely does not settle. In a super competitive phone market that we are living, OnePlus can still manage to earn its spot on the flagship killer sector. Would I recommend the 6T? No doubt. The 6T can definitely compete with any of the highest end devices on the market with its beautiful design, amazing tech, top shelf specs and a beast performance, and of course, as any phone, it has its flaws and lacks somethings. If you are rocking a OnePlus 6 or equivalent I would probably say that is not worth the upgrade, you still got a “new” device that its 6 months old with an amazing performance and basically the same spec list. If you are not greedy about a smaller notch, slightly better battery life and a in-display / front facing fingerprint scanner I would recommend you to keep your current device. If you are rolling with a, let’s say, OP5 or anything that still has bezels, or your phone is dying to launch Instagram and you wanna be in 2018, the 6T is the phone you should get, and it will unquestionably not settle for more than a couple years.

To finish it all, I could not end without thanking again to OnePlus, and a special thanks to @Crystal Z., @dsmonteiro and my fellow reviewers: @Falk Thieme, @RedDustBeast, @maarten_lisboa, @Menasheh, @Drewbikscube, @luigimario, @ObnoxiousMeow, @Shivang Joshi and @ankitgondalia with whom I’ve been sharing this amazing experience, and who have been also sharing amazing content that I hope you guys had the chance to check. OnePlus chose me - and them - to be one of the firsts in the world to see, touch and experience its new device and to share it with you guys. So, I wanna thank all of you, who have “lost” a little bit of their time to read my review, to ask some question or just say something about it. I genuinely thank you all for the support, this wouldn’t be the same without all of you. I’ll still be here for any further questions about the device that might show up during time.

[​IMG]

So, once again, thank you.

We’ll see each other around! Peace!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

6. Alvie The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Nov 2, 2018

Alvie, Nov 2, 2018 :
    Nice, that's an incredibly detailed unboxing (maybe a little too much though if I'm nitpicking).

Love the GIFs :)

pikota, xnutzii, buntycubal and 4 others like this.
  7. GopalB. Nougat Nov 2, 2018

zepedropaulos and BeingIncog like this.
  8. zepedropaulos The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 2, 2018

dalmia09, BeingIncog and GopalB. like this.
  9. GopalB. Nougat Nov 2, 2018

GopalB., Nov 2, 2018 :
    Oh... Looks great...

zepedropaulos likes this.
  10. dalmia09 Jelly Bean Nov 2, 2018

dalmia09, Nov 2, 2018 :
    Amazing unboxing!
    I heard in a YouTube review that main white box folds out and is a Light Box something?! Could you elaborate please?

zepedropaulos likes this.
  11. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Nov 2, 2018

SoniaB, Nov 2, 2018 :
    I agree. Too much Slow mo IMO
    But a great start @zepedropaulos

12. zepedropaulos The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 2, 2018

The main white box folds out yes. The box has some "reflective" lines draw inside and can be mounted as a small studio/workroom for taking photos. As you see from the opening-box GIF, the "box" is wrapped in its cover (this cover can be separated).
    With a proper light, those lines can reflect colors and so. However I found it small to use it as a background.:sweatsmile:

13. zepedropaulos The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 2, 2018

Thanks!
    All the GIFs are real-time recorded (no slow-mo). Maybe the page is somehow loaded and makes them slower.

Drewbikscube, dalmia09 and pelicaano like this.
  14. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Nov 2, 2018

SoniaB, Nov 2, 2018 :
    My bad [​IMG]
    I swear its going slow for me.

zepedropaulos and dalmia09 like this.
  15. dalmia09 Jelly Bean Nov 2, 2018

dalmia09, Nov 2, 2018 :
    It was slow for me at first too, but now that the GIFs have loaded they run at the actual speed. :p

16. dalmia09 Jelly Bean Nov 2, 2018

dalmia09, Nov 2, 2018 :
    Oh, I see!
    Thank for letting know. :)

Drewbikscube likes this.
  17. Drewbikscube The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 2, 2018

Drewbikscube, Nov 2, 2018 :

Awesome! This was an excellent read! Love the gifs !

buntycubal, zepedropaulos and Alvie like this.
  18. zepedropaulos The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 2, 2018

buntycubal and Drewbikscube like this.
  19. Grench Donut Nov 2, 2018

Grench, Nov 2, 2018 :
    t mobile don't have the lab...[e]1f625[/e][e]1f625[/e][e]1f625[/e][e]1f625[/e]

20. Bouncer71 Lollipop Nov 2, 2018

Bouncer71, Nov 2, 2018 :
    Nice unboxing...!
    Cool gifs but those pictures of the back side are the real attraction... 8D

Looks somehow like a second screen... 8O
    Very creative...! ; )

21. MercuryMat Froyo Nov 3, 2018

MercuryMat, Nov 3, 2018 :
    no jack, no led. this is not an improvement. the rest is just technology going forward. removing useful things is stupid. removing the audio jack is nonsense, especially if you cannot charge and listen and you are forced to wireless earbuds that still really sucks for quality, for battery life etc etc
    removing the led is also nonsense...I do not know how many times i just looked at the phone to check the led instead of lighting the screen.
    next step: remove the screen, for a real lifestyle improvement.

zepedropaulos and edepass like this.