The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro edition: AMA

1. adamovermeer
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

adamovermeer , Jun 17, 2019 :
    Not on purpose! But I did drop it a couple times with the case on. It was perfectly fine, and it does feel pretty robust in the hand. That said, make sure any case you have extends over the screen at the top and bottom so the screen isn't the first thing to hit the ground, or I'm sure it would crack. Tempered glass is pretty strong and very good at not scratching, but it will still crack on a drop.

G_plusone, Mr West and Dhruv Weaver like this.
  2. Dhruv Weaver

Mr West, adamovermeer and Bouncer71 like this.
  3. matthu.2711

matthu.2711 , Jun 17, 2019 :
    This, is what I believe the meaning of life to be:

"According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way that a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyways. Because bees don't care what humans think is impossible"

What do you think it is?

4. Dresa91
    Android Q Jun 17, 2019

Dresa91 , Jun 17, 2019 :
    :D

Mr West likes this.
  5. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Jun 17, 2019

Bouncer71 , Jun 17, 2019 :
    You should put a higher value on the time you spent for your review.. ;)

Mr West, Dhruv Weaver and matthu.2711 like this.
  6. KeepTransisting

7. matthu.2711

Sorry, don't quite understand what you mean here?

Mr West and Bouncer71 like this.
  8. johneebee

johneebee , Jun 17, 2019 :
    the answer to what's the answer to life the universe and everything, is 42... don't believe me? just google that exact question.

ps: comes from "the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" (great book)

buntycubal, Mr West and Bouncer71 like this.
  9. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Jun 17, 2019

Bouncer71 , Jun 17, 2019 :
    You payed with time and commitment for the review...
    That's hardly a free phone ;)

Respect to everyone who takes that responsibility...!

All of you did a great job...!

10. matthu.2711

Oh yes! I can safely say we all dedicated a lot of time into our work. It was enjoyable bit not an easy task. Thanks for the recognition!!

Bouncer71, Mr West and TechnoMinute like this.
  11. adamovermeer

Good question! Just the fact that there have been so many replies to our reviews and so many questions in this AMA show that it is important for the community, and thus I'm sure it's helpful for marketing too.

On the subject of biases, I would think it's safe to assume that all the reviewers here, including myself, love OnePlus and are at least a little biased . Howevtoward them. However, I am not trying to hide that bias and I assume since my reviews are posted on the OnePlus community forums that the readers understand I likely have a bias. That didn't stop me from having quite a few areas where I was concerned about the phone and how it would perform, or from being hard on it where I thought it needed improvement. As long as we share that understanding and people keeping commenting, I think the LAB is very important for the OnePlus community!

12. Dhruv Weaver

Dhruv Weaver , Jun 17, 2019 :
    Absolutely. It was no simple task haha. Thanks for your kind words! Also, great job with your Guacamole Diary, it was really fascinating to read.

Bouncer71, Mr West and matthu.2711 like this.
  13. adamovermeer

That is intentional. The speaker is only in one side, the other is maybe microphones or something. The same is true on my OnePlus 5 and my cousin's 6t

Bouncer71 and Mr West like this.
  14. KeepTransisting

KeepTransisting , Jun 17, 2019 :
    I just lied my way through it.

JUST KIDDING. It wasn't a simple project, especially since I hadn't written a review in years. It was well worth it, especially with the assistance of my fellow lab reviewers

15. santoshsavanur

santoshsavanur , Jun 17, 2019 :
    Good question. People have this perception that Lab reviewers just blindly praise OnePlus cuz they get a device for free. Let me clear it up for anybody who thinks so. Neither OnePlus nor any of their team members have influenced our opinions/reviews in any way. All the lab reviewers have put their honest personal experience in their reviews, and if you look closely, almost all of them have some or the other point about where OnePlus went wrong or could've done better. On the other side, OnePlus team worked diligently in rolling out OTAs faster than ever, just to improve the camera.

For me, I was just lucky to be picked in this program as a last minute replacement (thanks to the person who couldn't make it:p). And it has been a very enriching and fun experience. In the process of reviewing the device, all the lab reviewers have become really good friends. Though being based out of different locations, we have remained connected just by discussing features, shortcomings and exchanging countless camera samples. Hoping to catch up in person with all of you some day. :)
    I appreciate OnePlus and its team for this initiative and who knows what talent this program might unearth in the future among its community members/fans? :cool:

16. adamovermeer

There have been camera improvements throughout my time as a reviewer and I imagine they will continue for the forseeable future!

Bouncer71 and Mr West like this.
  17. adamovermeer

I didn't test it with exact numbers, but it is noticeably faster than my OP5. When I was setting up the 7 Pro, I told it to download all my old apps, which was around 35, and it completed all of them in like 5-10 minutes. Totally blew me away! In daily use, its not quite as noticeable but still makes the phone feel incredibly snappy.

BeingIncog and Mr West like this.
  18. E1558669002516
    Donut Jun 17, 2019

E1558669002516 , Jun 17, 2019 :
    I love this phone. Reminds me if the old BlackBerry days where l just want to get stuff done! Questions: My alarm didn't go off yesterday morning. I had battery saver on and location off. Do not disturb settings were on as well. Today it worked fine without battery saver on. Help?
    Also. is the Oxygen updater app in Google play safe? I want to get updates faster than T-Mobile US moves them out. still no update. Thank you in advance.

Mr West likes this.
  19. KeepTransisting

KeepTransisting , Jun 17, 2019 :
    Oxygen Updater is very safe

20. adamovermeer

Between the two I would go with the Mirror Gray because it will match cases very nicely. I have Nebula Blue and I absolutely love it, but my biggest complaint is that the blue can be seen through my Karbon gray case. The Mirror Gray would look a lot better in a gray case.

Mr West, johneebee and Raghav2209 like this.