The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro edition: AMA

1. G_Nikho_Indrawan_sPGe Cupcake Jun 17, 2019

G_Nikho_Indrawan_sPGe, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Kapan secara resmi oneplus masuk ke Indonesia?

2. avi.seth123 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

avi.seth123, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Are you sure? Because according to my testing, it's embedded inside the display, and thus, the camera opens up even inside the pocket if your face unlock is turned on

AnonymousWP likes this.
  3. matthu.2711 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

matthu.2711, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Saat ini tidak ada kerangka waktu yang saya ketahui. Maaf jika ini sulit dimengerti, saya menggunakan Google Translate

4. matthu.2711 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

I don't think it's there. Off Screen Gestures activate in my pocket sometimes

5. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

AnonymousWP, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Nope, did some more testing and edited my message right before you replied me :p.

Edit: @avi.seth123 By the way, if it indeed has a proximity sensor behind the screen as you claim, I wonder why it doesn't work as intended then. Thereby, OnePlus is working on something to prevent the camera from popping up in your pocket. I'd say that works with the proximity sensor.

6. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

Happens to me as well. Quite annoying, but can be fine-tuned with updates I guess.

7. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jun 17, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Cool idea, @Trista W. Thank you.

And a thank you to all the reviewers for all the work they did.

I'm not going to ask something about the device, since that was the purpose of the reviews, but something about the Lab.

Now that you were part of it, what is your opinion about it? Do you believe it's something important from the community and/or marketing perspective - and do you believe those two perspectives can co-exist while providing a non-biased review?

Thank you, these questions are not for a specific reviewer.

8. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

KeepTransisting, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Honestly, it was the weight of the device. It's a hell of a lot heavier than my OP6 was.

buntycubal, adamovermeer and Dresa91 like this.
  9. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

I peeled it off and switched it for a third party one. The pre-applied protector is ok, but its your run of the mill plastic. Better than what most OEMs offer (which is nothing), but there are much better options.

matthu.2711 and AnonymousWP like this.
  10. Dresa91 Android Q Jun 17, 2019

Dresa91, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Thank you :)

11. matthu.2711 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

Cheetosdust

Cool idea, @Trista W. Thank you.

And a thank you to all the reviewers for all the work they did.

I'm not going to ask something about the device, since that was the purpose of the reviews, but something about the Lab.

Now that you were part of it, what is your opinion about it? Do you believe it's something important from the community and/or marketing perspective - and do you believe those two perspectives can co-exist while providing a non-biased review?

Thank you, these questions are not for a specific reviewer.​

Personally, I'm all for the Lab. It allows the ordinary guy (like me) to have their normal views heard. Unlike YouTubers I have little to compare to, it allows for a review that is more usage focused rather than comparison focused.

As for the second part of your query, I think it's hard to find a happy medium for both. My review could be as negative as I wanted. The marketing team however would never push a negative review. Marketing is more for selling the device and raising awareness rather than reviewing the product. So, if I've understood your question correctly, I don't think both allow for an unbiased stance.

Marketing will always be positive, but it's good for OnePlus to share share these positive Lab reviews because it helps the consumer to connect more. It's easier to relate to a normal contest winner than a large company if you get me.

And trust me, some of us are real critics and can rip things apart of we find a negative!

Hope this answers your question!

12. avi.seth123 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

I believe no bias has crept in. There has been zero pressure from OnePlus on us, and no influence. Infact, in a WhatsApp group with representatives from OnePlus, we have been criticising the niggles before the recent updates, and have only received positive feedback. OnePlus really loves to improve and I'm not kidding.

13. yashonagori The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

yashonagori, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Yes I've dropped it thrice by now i think, but it hasn't been from a very great height, about 3-4 feet maybe. Didn't have any impact on my device as i have the proprietary clear case on! seems very durable!

G_plusone likes this.
  14. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

It's actually a win-win for both parties.

• OnePlus gives 15 people a free device (which might look like it's expensive for them, but what they get in return is actually way more)
    • People share their reviews and opinions with people who are not familiar yet with the brand
    • The Lab reviewers get something very nice in return
    So actually it's both; community and marketing perspective. And yes, for me it is. I'm a person who does dare to give criticism and I'm not afraid to do so. Therefore, OnePlus doesn't absolutely support 'saying good things only'. They want feedback on their device as well.

15. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

I think The Lab is very important. It gives an opportunity for regular people to voice an unbiased opinion about a device. We were told multiple times by our OnePlus contacts to be completely and 100% unbiased. Never once were we told "you can't mention this, you can't mention that". This communication from them was refreshing as it felt like they actually wanted honesty rather than trying to buy a positive opinion.

So yes, they can absolutely co-exist

16. matthu.2711 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

Definitely, it was very open, no pressure. We said what we thought with no outside influence

KeepTransisting and AnonymousWP like this.
  17. Rajgopal04 Eclair Jun 17, 2019

Rajgopal04, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Hi Team,

I recently purchased 7 pro nebula blue version...I am quite happy with the display, stereo speakers, battery,warp charge and last but not least oxygen os...I am really impressed with the speed of the device. 90hz display is a beauty. More and more companies will try to adopt to this display in future.

I really do not believe on wireless charging, it is like a useless feature for me. I miss the 3.5 mm headphone jack, though that was compensated by dual stereo speakers I am enjoying the audio output from them.I really do not care about IP68 rating it's a gimmick by most of the companies. The reason for the below questions is these 3 questions are stopping one plus from defeating so called flagships.

Three questions
    1. why did the camera in the device is not upto mark?
    2. why the ultra wide angle camera does not support vudeo recording?
    3. why the usb type c to headphone connector is not available in the box?

Hopefully you will improve the camera quality with the software updates. Always happy to be a one plus fan.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019

AdikartaDasa, Gow24, Amguest and 2 others like this.
  18. avi.seth123 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

I believe this is something you need to ask the OnePlus team :p Not us

19. TechnoMinute The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

TechnoMinute, Jun 17, 2019 :
    I was like woah! This back is insane. I was pretty much just freaking out the whole way through. The display though is what threw me over the edge. As soon as I turned it on, I couldn't put it down!

adamovermeer and Dresa91 like this.
  20. Filipe_C_E Gingerbread Jun 17, 2019

Filipe_C_E, Jun 17, 2019 :
    There answer is honestly not good.they should say why isn't in OP 7 pro and if the will add in a future update