The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro edition: AMA

1. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jun 17, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Thank you all for your replies, they did indeed answer my questions.

And it's great to know OnePlus was helpful and open to read/hear your suggestions and criticism.

avi.seth123 and AnonymousWP like this.
  2. KnightmareFrame The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

KnightmareFrame, Jun 17, 2019 :
    I already saw so many photos before so visually I wasn't surprised but when I picked the phone up I was kind of blown away by the pure premium feel. There's a certain heft and solid feeling that I associate with Apple and the 7 Pro has that.

buntycubal and Dresa91 like this.
  3. dnagpaldg The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

dnagpaldg, Jun 17, 2019 :
    It fell once, just outside an ice-skating ring from about the height of a bar counter (it fell from the bar counter). Nothing happened to it. I just had the Karbon case on it. Seems pretty durable.

Then I put it in my pocket, Fate managed to have a random person crash into me and make me go down with the phone in my pocket. I fell over the pocket in which the phone was, but nothing happened to it.

Seems to be durable enough for sane people to not break it.

I'm off to the beach now, we'll see.

buntycubal and G_plusone like this.
  4. KnightmareFrame The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

Haha thankfully not! Looks and feels tough but not taking any chances

G_plusone likes this.
  5. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

KeepTransisting, Jun 17, 2019 :
    I did, but onto a soft sofa :p
    I wanted to test the "selfie camera drop prevention" mechanic, which worked rather well

G_plusone likes this.
  6. Dresa91 Android Q Jun 17, 2019

Dresa91, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Good to know :)

7. G_plusone Marshmallow Jun 17, 2019

G_plusone, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Thanks ;)

dnagpaldg likes this.
  8. Mr West The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

Mr West, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Hi there

Mr West here!

The Lab has been an invaluable process for us all. Behind the scenes we've shared our thoughts on pretty much every area of the device but not in a way where it's influenced others thoughts. We've had the freedom to provide constructive feedback where we've found faults in software or hardware - I've never felt like it's 'favourable reviews only' and have always felt confident in providing feedback on areas I haven't found so good.

So yes, two areas you mentioned can co-exist - OnePlus has taken all of the feedback on board about many aspects and made a number of improvements with software updates.

Hope this answers your question, please feel free to reach out if you have any more!

Have a great day

Dave

9. dnagpaldg The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

The Lab has been an extremely fun thing for me. All of us were basically interacting with eachother more than the company, and trust me, we have complete control over what we want to write. This is a great initiative in terms of marketing, but the effort that each reviewer put it means these are relatable reviews that let you gauge the device on the basis of impact, not synthetic metrics.

Check out my review's first post, if you want, I've talked about it there.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/the-lab-oneplus-7-pro-review-dnagpaldg.1036060/

Cheetosdust and AnonymousWP like this.
  10. Mr West The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

Mr West, Jun 17, 2019 :
    I also agree on this, I've never felt pressured or doubted when providing honest feedback

11. eb.shoaib Donut Jun 17, 2019

eb.shoaib, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Auto Brightness Lowers Down even under Bright day light. Please suggest

12. matthu.2711 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

buntycubal and AnonymousWP like this.
  13. KnightmareFrame The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

That's a great question. Honestly I am very impressed with the way the Lab has happened. It's certainly a situation in which you could suspect bias to creep in. However, OnePlus did not apply any pressure on us and there was no expectation that we'll give a certain type of review. To the contrary, my impression is that the Lab is an excellent research opportunity for OnePlus and they are genuinely interested in our unvarnished feedback. I really applaud this ethos because it's not every company that is so focused on improvement. I guess this is why OnePlus is where it is and giants like HTC and Sony have died or are dying..listening to users is key and for me this is what the Lab is most about. At the same time it of course has marketing benefits for OnePlus, but for me this is much less about that and much more about fostering a community engagement and conversation about the products, which leads to improvement.

14. Mr West The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

Mr West, Jun 17, 2019 :
    There is no always on display - I don't think this was ever intended to be part of the specifications. It is a 'lift or double tap to wake' display which I find far more convenient than something that is constantly lit up.

Also, are you talking about the lighting when a notification is received? This has been working since day one - I made a very quick video for another forum member who asked if it can be seen off angle;

Hope this helps, thanks for your questions.

Have a great day!

Dave

buntycubal and T_A_H_R_YT like this.
  15. dnagpaldg The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

Just turn it off and then back on, it corrects the brightness itself.

I think that the phone tries to learn your preferences in varying levels of ambient light, but its not quite there. This thing probably resets it. Took me about a week when I had t do this but now it works perfectly

16. Mr West The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

Mr West, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Do you mean between PC/laptop/Mac or between handsets (e.g. OnePlus to OnePlus or other brand?)

Or both?

17. dnagpaldg The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

I agree, the ambient display feature is a million times better than Always On Display. It saves battery and the process is like that of a watch.

KeepTransisting likes this.
  18. avi.seth123 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

avi.seth123, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Hey, how to enable that?

19. Mr West The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 17, 2019

Mr West, Jun 17, 2019 :
    Hands down the best on the market right now, super quick and 99% accuracy for me.

There are odd occasions where it doesn't recognise if I have slightly wet hands, but that is all.

Really impressed with it - plus you still get the quick functions when long pressing after unlocking.

Superb.

Hope that answers your question, have a great day

Dave

buntycubal and dnagpaldg like this.
  20. O1532833472723 Donut Jun 17, 2019