The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro -Review by Dhruv Weaver

1. Dhruv Weaver The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 28, 2019

Dhruv Weaver, May 28, 2019 :
    You may just have to let it settle out and figure out your use before you start seeing it last you the full day.

2. Dhruv Weaver The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 28, 2019

Dhruv Weaver, May 28, 2019 :
    I'm reworking my camera review right now (there was a new update) and it's actually very good. Please stay tuned for that.

3. K1557163967253 Cupcake May 28, 2019

4. Helder_DAlmeida Gingerbread May 28, 2019

Dhruv Weaver likes this.
  5. Achimu Cupcake May 29, 2019

6. Dhruv Weaver The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 29, 2019

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  7. Tom Kinb Cupcake May 29, 2019

Tom Kinb, May 29, 2019 :
    After spending hours peering at the OnePlus 7 Pro’s images you do end up wishing the main camera would stop hammering far-away foliage into watercolour-like patterns. But this is now the norm in the processing-led world of smartphone photography.

8. G_Rich_Cowan_EQlj Gingerbread May 29, 2019

Dhruv Weaver likes this.
  9. joylonm Cupcake May 29, 2019

joylonm, May 29, 2019 :
    the fact that OnePlus 7 pro is crazy, is about it's features that makes it special. I'm deeply proud of how OnePlus is progressing with the field of technology. hoping to see what's stored in for the future

Dhruv Weaver likes this.
  10. Z1559151068912 Cupcake May 29, 2019

Z1559151068912, May 29, 2019 :
    never been in to one plus family ,ONE PLUS 7PRO is an amazing piece and looks trendy on hands .

glad to be a part of one plus family .

Dhruv Weaver likes this.
  11. Madhuchowdary Cupcake May 29, 2019

12. optical Jelly Bean May 29, 2019

Dhruv Weaver likes this.
  13. thasnes Cupcake May 30, 2019

Dhruv Weaver likes this.
  14. peershadiq Cupcake May 30, 2019

15. Dhruv Weaver The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 30, 2019

Dhruv Weaver, May 30, 2019 :
    Thanks you! After the latest software updates I'm reworking my camera review since the update actually made some significant changes so it's taking a little while longer.

optical likes this.
  16. Dhruv Weaver The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 31, 2019

Stickied Post
    Dhruv Weaver, May 31, 2019 :
    The Camera

The OnePlus 7 Pro's triple camera system has been the most discussed and strangely controversial aspect of the device. With numerous threads with titles like "The YouTube reviewer gods have said that this camera is absolute garbage!!". Threads like this are incredibly misleading and are inaccurate, and also are either written by people who don't own the phone or don't understand how to take or photos or that a smartphone camera is not going to replace their DSLRs or mirrorless cameras. As someone who uses professional grade camera gear on a daily basis and has experience shooting on a multitude of cameras, from janky medium format film cameras to modern APSC DSLRs, I can say with confidence that this is a good - no, great - camera, and anyone who purchases this phone will be happy with it.

I have debated with many forum users who don't understand one or both of these two key things:
    1) How to take photos that are worth discussing. I saw someone saying that the camera was bad and the proof they provided was an off-kilter photo of their feet. C'mon people.
    2) Modern smartphone cameras, especially the ones on the 7 Pro have excellent hardware, any complaints about quality can be fixed via software. So many people see a YouTuber (whose review came out at launch) say the camera isn't as good as others, and refuse to accept that things can change through a software update, as they have. Also an influencer's opinions are not objective fact.

Alright, I think I have expressed my frustration with the community when it comes to discussing cameras. Moving on to what I think of the camera:

The Popup Camera

_DSC0002.jpg

_DSC0004-2.jpg

Personally I rarely take selfies. I think that opting to use a popup camera is good for a couple of reasons. The first one goes back to the fact that I don't really take selfies... so for my
    personal use it doesn't make sense to obstruct parts of the display with a piece of hardware I won't miss. And then the second reason that this could be seen as a good change, is for the people who are really concerned about privacy, they don't have to worry about apps always spying on them (from Android Pie onward apps actually can't utilize the camera or microphone in the background, just to be clear to those concerned) with the camera. I actually haven't kept any photos I've taken with the front facing camera, and I'll try to gather some sample images very soon after posting this review and I'll insert them here:

Images coming soon

There is a very obvious potential downside though; durability. For those who use the selfie camera a lot and/or use face unlock the motor will obviously undergo more wear. Although, OnePlus says that this mechanism is protected from debris and water via a gasket, which you can see in teardown photos and videos. And to address the issue with the motor itself and the fact that mechanical parts like this wear down, OnePlus has said that their testing certifies it for 300,000 cycles, which translates to at least five years of use if you take 150 selfies a day, raising and lowering the camera each time. With a little math, this translates to it taking about 411 selfies (again, where you raise and lower the camera each time) in order to wear it out in two years. Sounds pretty solid to me. I'm perfectly alright with this hardware decision, and unless you take over 400 selfies a day you'll be absolutely fine.

The Triple Lens Camera System

camera1.jpg

This is an excellent set of sensors, all rendering fantastic image quality and contains a useful variety of focal lengths. I think the best way to showcase the cameras is not with words but by actually showing you what they look like. The way thise will work is I'll link some comparison photos through Juxtapose (per recommendation of @meatandy) between the OnePlus 5, OnePlus 6, Pixel 2XL and the OnePlus 7 Pro, and then discuss what trends the 7 Pro exhibits. All were shot in auto mode, with no edits or exposure compensation, unless otherwise specified. Please note that some images were taken before the latest update. Also, apologies if any of the comparisons don't line up perfectly, it is pretty difficult to match everything up.

OnePlus 5 vs OnePlus 7 Pro

*use the links to compare the images*

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxt...html?uid=00a51fc4-8353-11e9-b9b8-0edaf8f81e27
    comp2.jpg

Main lens: This is a perfect example of the excellent HDR across the frame,
    while still retaining details and color accuracy. You will also notice that the lens on the 7 Pro has little to no distortion and vignetting, compared to the OnePlus 5 and details are sharp edge to edge, unlike some professional glass.

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=e3524b7a-8354-11e9-b9b8-0edaf8f81e27
    comp3.jpg

Telephoto lens: First, I would like to preface this by saying that I honestly don't care that the lens isn't technically optically a 3x zoom, although I would like to see an option in settings that allows us to choose between the zoom mode being optical or this hybrid zoom, allowing the possibility of slightly less zoom but higher resolution. It wasn't right for OnePlus to say that this is 3x optical zoom, but they did advertise it as an 8 MP sensor, which is what the 13 MP sensor becomes after the hybrid zoom crop. These photos are comparing what you would get with 3x crop on both devices, and should represent the difference between the two telephoto cameras in terms of both color and detail. That difference is that the 7 Pro has considerably more detail, and the colors in the 5's photo are way too cool and green.

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxt...html?uid=86ae4862-8357-11e9-b9b8-0edaf8f81e27
    comp4.jpg

Nightscape (OnePlus 7 Pro only): Nightscape clearly makes a huge difference. It takes a scene where almost nothing is visible and actually presents something. This was a very challenging scene for Nightscape, and it is very dim, but that's because this was handheld and the room was nearly pitch black. For those who don't know, if your mount the device on a tripod or another stable surface, Nightscape will take a 20-30 second long exposure which I think is just the coolest thing!!

Next phone.

OnePlus 6 vs OnePlus 7 Pro

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxt...html?uid=61b859e2-8359-11e9-b9b8-0edaf8f81e27
    comp1.jpg

Main lens: The difference in contrast and colors is striking in this image. The OnePlus 6 undoubtedly over-does the HDR in my opinion. It just loses too much of the character in the subject. Along with this, the 6's details are much softer than the 7 Pro. If you look at the Juxtapose, you can see that the 7 Pro picks up all of the tiny specks inside of the flower.

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxt...html?uid=1645d14e-835c-11e9-b9b8-0edaf8f81e27
    comp2.jpg

Main lens: This is again an example of how the OnePlus 6 has a really aggressive HDR algorithm, that almost gets rid of the natural contrast in a scene. Meanwhile the 7 Pro still has better HDR, recovering more shadows and highlights, but still dials in an appropriate amount of contrast. Looking closer at the image, the 7 Pro again renders more detail than the 6, which was already better than the 5.

No Juxtapose link for this one because it is impossible to match the images without significant edits:
    portrait_comp.jpg

Portrait mode: The most obvious difference between these two in portrait mode is the field of view in portrait mode. Contrary to what some people may think is better (because it fits more into the frame or something), a tighter lens like what the 7 Pro is using is much more like how most portraits are taken. So as someone who takes portraits typically with a 50mm prime lens or a telephoto-zoom lens, I really like that the OnePlus 7 Pro does this. Now one thing I really, really, really don't like are the fake "bokeh balls" that the OnePlus 7 Pro has. They look absolutely abysmal and that is something the OnePlus 5 and 6 do much better and more naturally. I'm not sure what's up with that, but please OnePlus, fix this.

Last but not least...

Google Pixel 2XL vs OnePlus 7 Pro

Everyone is familiar with the Pixel's incredible and rightfully praised image processing. I don't have a Google Pixel 3 on hand so I couldn't compare that one, but I think that the 2XL is pretty similar aside from a few features. So how does the 7 Pro compare?
    I would argue that it does really well, and potentially it is better in many ways.

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxt...html?uid=41aae0aa-8360-11e9-b9b8-0edaf8f81e27
    comp1.jpg

This is the quintessential comparison that basically tells the story of these two cameras. The Pixel is very contrasty and punchy, while the OnePlus 7 Pro is a bit more flat but natural. The Pixel's photos is basically how I might edit the photo taken by the 7 Pro, but is not representative of real life. This is why I prefer the 7 Pro's camera; it is natural and leaves a lot of room for editing. Both are practically identical when it comes to detail - The OnePlus is doing no more of the "watercolor thing" than the Pixel is.

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxt...html?uid=f88145f2-8361-11e9-b9b8-0edaf8f81e27
    comp2.jpg

We again see the same trend with colors and contrast in this photo. But actually it should be noted that the 7 Pro grabbed focus much better than the Pixel did. That is something that I haven't mentioned yet, the auto-focus. The 7 Pro uses a complex system that combines laser, contrast, and phase-detect auto-focus. This leads to an auto-focus system that works really well, and has gotten much better than on previous firmware.

Summary

This camera is fabulous. If anyone reading this comes across a thread or a comment that claims that the cameras are bad on the 7 Pro, point them here. I especially appreciate the pro mode that OnePlus has in their camera app. It is very intuitive but also very powerful - also thanks to that new (awesome) haptic motor, turning the dials makes the phone make these really satisfying clicks as you pass over each slight adjustment to a dial. I'm really pleased with this camera, and
    I don't have any doubt that I will always have a great camera with me, whether I have my camera bag with me or not.

Finally, here are some more sample photos, and as much as I would like to post them here, right in the forum post, unfortunately they will be compressed a lot so please just follow the link at the end of the post for a variety of more carefully composed photos, that showcase all three lenses - all are shot in auto mode with no edits. Speaking of which, I didn't talk about the wide angle lens very much, and frankly I haven't used it all that much, but it is a lot of fun, and I'm sure that the next time I find myself in a place with a vast landscape or where some comedic or dramatic distortion would work, I will use it. It is an excellent lens, and I like that the camera has a bunch of great options for taking photos.

Here is the link:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Cy71h0T5XHsKhKSWAPlKuqy8k7KfIN_l?usp=sharing

And of course, please feel free to ask questions in the comments of this thread!

Last edited: May 31, 2019

17. meatandy Nougat May 31, 2019

meatandy, May 31, 2019 :
    Nice work , thanks for going through the trouble of doing the comparisons.

18. Dhruv Weaver The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 31, 2019

Dhruv Weaver, May 31, 2019 :
    Sure thing! And I think it'll be more helpful to people in the end, so it was worth the effort.

dnagpaldg and tobias14 like this.
  19. G_Rich_Cowan_EQlj Gingerbread May 31, 2019

G_Rich_Cowan_EQlj, May 31, 2019 :
    I'm with you. I have the s10 plus and it doesn't take any better photos than my 7 pro. I think a lot of tech YouTubers give less than favourable re Jews to anything that challenges iPhone. they're all so far into apples pockets it's unbelievable! It's always the same. They did it with Google pixel,they've done it with OnePlus, Samsung and lots of brands. Apple encourages YouTubers to do so with the lucrative lure of free devices and invites to keynotes...
    The OnePlus 7 pro is a fantastic all round phone. The camera is as good as on any other...
    Great post.

20. P1559386832717 Cupcake Jun 1, 2019

P1559386832717, Jun 1, 2019 :
    hello..after one day purchasing this phone I did factory reset and after that I updated my software..but I came to see that in slow motion there was an adjusting option..but now this option has gone..why so?