The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro -Review by Dhruv Weaver

1. Dhruv Weaver The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 6, 2019

Dhruv Weaver, Jun 6, 2019 :
    This isn't available on the 7 Pro (or 6T/7) since it doesn't have a notification LED. There are apps that can simulate this though.

Karthik .G likes this.
  2. Dhruv Weaver The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 6, 2019

Dhruv Weaver, Jun 6, 2019 :
    Thank you! And I totally agree; smartphone cameras aren't known for their image quality, and nor is it their propose. So just because a phone gets a high DxOMark score it doesn't mean this will compete with excellent DSLRs or Mirrorless systems. It's absolutely going to satisfy someone trying to capture the moment, which is what smartphone cameras are for.

IAMRILES likes this.
  3. Karthik .G Cupcake Jun 6, 2019

Karthik .G, Jun 6, 2019 :
    Can you please let me know which app can I use for this feature?

4. Dhruv Weaver The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 7, 2019

Stickied Post
    Dhruv Weaver, Jun 7, 2019 :
    Battery Life, Software, and Performance

Battery Life

The battery, after the camera, was a very polarizing feature of the device. MKBHD, probably the most respected tech reviewer around, said that he got around 4 hours of screen-on time. Whereas others, like Dieter Bohn from The Verge, got between 6 and 7 hours of screen-on time. One person's assessment can not give you an accurate idea of what kind of battery life you would experience, so it is important to consider the usage styles of the person providing the statistics. MKBHD is known for (and stated in a recent video) using his devices at high to max brightness, so unless you use your phone like that, his assessment of the battery life won't apply to you.

So what is my usage like? With school out for the summer, my day consists of many activities, but I am using my phone a lot more than I would during normal days when I have class, so keep that in mind. My days are usually 50% listening to YouTube Music or Google Play Music (depending on what music is or isn't available on each one, ugh) with my Bullets Wireless earbuds. The rest of the time I'm using my phone is spent taking photos, watching videos on YouTube, reading the news, texting with friends, sometimes editing my DSLR's high resolution raw photos in Lightroom Mobile when I'm not at home, and of course browsing the forums. I will also occasionally use Google Maps for navigation. I'm currently teaching myself Flutter for Android and iOS app development, so for these past few days my 7 Pro has been tethered to my computer for quite some time, offsetting the battery statistics, but I have enough data points from previous days to come to a conclusion for this usage style.

So what is my battery life like? Here's my usage from the first week:

Screenshot_20190521-173724.jpg

Screenshot_20190522-174759.jpg

Screenshot_20190518-210632.jpg

At this point in my usage the battery was definitely good, with well over 4, and even 5 hours of screen-on time. As the phone learned my usage patterns it got even better...

Screenshot_20190528-191228.jpg

Screenshot_20190531-193122.jpg

As you can see, screen-on time is not a problem whatsoever. Without topping up at any point. And now feels like a good time to reveal my screen settings; the entire time that I have had the phone I have left it at 90Hz and QHD+ (where it adjusts these settings based on content but stays here for most use), and still gotten on average 8-9 hours of screen-on time. Remember, I have also been using mostly Bluetooth audio as well and have left location services on.

You can turn down the display settings as I discussed in my display review and probably get two days of battery out of this, but at full resolution and maximum refresh rate, I can easily get a whole day's worth of use.

Standby time is also fantastic. I often wake up after 7-9 hours of sleep the battery only drops 2-3%. There are really no complaints to be had with this battery.

And when my battery is running low, or I just need a quick top-up, I use Warp Charge. It is really incredibly fast, and just like with OnePlus' fast charging (formerly known as Dash Charging), it has changed my charging habits. Before Dash Charging I would have to charge my phone overnight, but then I started charging it in the morning. But now with Warp Charging, I can just plug in for less than an hour before I go out and get from dead to a nearly a full charge. And if you want to just quickly top up, it takes only around 20 minutes to get about 50% charged. Super impressive. I do wish they included Qi wireless charging so I could charge easily in the car or just have that convenience, but it is what it is. And I'm okay with not having this since, besides the car, I don't really have any wireless chargers around, but I know some people really like this feature.

Software/Performance

I used a OnePlus 5 before the 7 Pro so I am not surprised by how excellent Oxygen OS is. The software team's efforts to build a smooth, fast, and simple skin over Android show. For those not familiar with Oxygen OS, it is a very light skin over "stock" Android that, in my opinion, is actually better than the way Google designs their version, unlike all other skins. I really, really like it. It provides the perfect mix of useful features and impeccable performance.

The first new feature I really like is Zen Mode. Previously, when I wanted to disconnect and just focus on something else I would have to put the phone into Do Not Disturb, but that could just be turned off at any point if I felt like going back to my phone. With Zen Mode, you can't leave until time is up. This is a great tool for those who have trouble staying off of their phones or just want to take a break from the everlasting hailstorm of notifications in their lives.

zen.jpg

The next feature that I really appreciate is screen recording.

record-settings.jpg

This is something that should have been here from the beginning, but it's better late than never. It's great for easily sharing things that can't be captured with a screenshot (or even a scrolling screenshot). Or for showing off the gesture system:

The gestures, while at first I didn't like them, after just a day of using them they felt extremely natural and smooth. I recommend this for people wanting to make full use of the screen.

These are the two standout new features introduced to Oxygen OS with this phone. And I could go on and on with the endless benefits of OnePlus' excellent take on Android. Another neat thing that is new with this phone, and exclusive to the design is how the edges light up with a new notification:

GIF-190606_215431.gif

As nice as this is when the phone is right in front of you, I do wish there were an alternative to the notification LED of old. What if they lit up just a few pixels to simulate a notification light? I hope they do something like this, the LED is much missed.

There is so much more to cover here with the operating system, from the handy screen-off gestures to the fancy EQ menu for your audio accessories (yes, including Bluetooth devices!). But I think the biggest one to make sure I make clear is the absolutely stunning performance. It is
    unbelievably snappy.

Like I said, this isn't my first OnePlus phone (my OnePlus 5 is still as buttery smooth as it was on day one nearly two years ago) and because of the excellent performance, this certainly won't be my last. I hear so many people say that "Android is slow" or "Android is buggy", but to those people I say this; try a OnePlus device. Even though the phone has a heavy spec sheet, OnePlus does what other phones, even with the same specs, don't. They optimize the software. Even Google hasn't gotten this right with the infamously buggy Pixel 3 series. I'm really not just saying this to suck up to OnePlus, I'm giving my honest opinion here; Oxygen OS is the only operating system that is this smooth, and stays this smooth.

This life-long positive net performance is of course thanks to the incredible software team working on these devices. Just a few days ago I got a beta update for the Launcher that kinda broke the status bar, so I reported it as a bug. Then, I'm not exaggerating, they fixed it within the day. This dedication to customer satisfaction is incredible, and is really the biggest reason that everyone should consider getting a phone that runs Oxygen OS.

Speaking of updates, this phone is a part of the Android Q Beta Program, so it will likely be one of the first phones to get this update because of the head-start on development OnePlus has.

I'm really pleased with Oxygen OS, and I think anyone who buys this phone will be incredibly happy with the speed and utility of the device, all thanks to the software.

I know I didn't cover every detain of the software, but if you have any questions about it or any other aspects of the device, please let me know!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019

faisal.sidekick and johneebee like this.
  5. princeimran Donut Jun 7, 2019

princeimran, Jun 7, 2019 :
    I have 8gb and 256gb verient .no wireless charging no reverse wireless charging in 2019 no headfone jack no memory card slot and also very poor camera need to see Samsung camera first . battery draining fast alt least one plus need to give 4500mah battery our 5000mah battery in this device .. now this mobile price in India 54000 thousand per unit ...

6. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 7, 2019

Dhruv Weaver likes this.
  7. Dhruv Weaver The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 7, 2019

Stickied Post
    Dhruv Weaver, Jun 7, 2019 :
    The Little Things

This chapter is the wrap up to this review, where I'll discuss all of the little touches that don't entirely fit in any one of the previous chapters. I'll also discuss how this 7 Pro meets my needs and where I want to see improvements.

The "biggest" little thing for me is the new and improved vibration motor. There's no way to describe the feeling, except by saying that it's really precise and snappy. And OnePlus has made sure that you notice this change. All throughout the UI, the new haptics can be felt. My favorite is when you're in the Pro mode of the camera and when the dials are turned, the motor makes a clicking feeling, as if you were turning a real dial. It is also used when you press the shutter, and whenever I use another device to take a photo, I feel like something is missing to give me that confirmation that I took the photo. The vibration motor can also be used in games, and for people who actually enjoy playing games on their phones it will be really cool. This is definitely one of the best vibration motors out there, maybe second only to the iPhone.

Another really important part of the phone are the new stereo speakers. Put simply they are actually amazing. It is really one of those things that you need to experience to know what I mean, but the speakers create this "bubble of sound" and somehow actually emulate a surround sound system. This is a gigantic step up from previous devices, and if you like to listen to music or watch videos out loud, these won't disappoint. If you get to try out the device, I recommend you watch the "Unfold" Dolby Atmos demo, it's really cool. I basically never used the speakers on my previous phones because the audio from the speakers just wasn't enjoyable, but now I find myself wearing a grin whenever I listen to the speakers.

build_speakers.jpg

The Alert Slider is really useful. If you use a OnePlus device, you probably already know that this is a really handy feature, but for those who have never used a device with a switch for adjusting notification profiles, this feature will simplify the hassle of turning the volume all the way down or using a settings toggle. I can just flip the switch to whatever setting I want, and easily silence my phone. And because it's a physical switch, I can just check to see which setting it's on while it is in my pocket. I don't know why more companies don't do this. Speaking of buttons, the power and volume buttons are very satisfying to use. You rarely hear people raving about a button, but these are actually great buttons.

The under-display fingerprint reader is actually very fast. I compared it to my OnePlus 5's reader, which was known for it's speed, and the 7 Pro actually unlocks a bit faster. You do have to keep your finger on the sensor the whole time, whereas with the OP5, you could just tap it, but the actual unlocking and authentication process is faster on the 7 Pro. For the first week or so, it did tend to misread my fingers, but with more use, and after letting it learn my fingerprint better, I find it fails less often then the capacitive one on the OP5. I will say that these optical sensors, while fast, tend to fail when your fingers are wet. It's not the end of the world or anything, but it's just something that can slow you down sometimes.

GIF-190607_131554.gif
    (also there are a bunch of really neat live wallpapers)

The storage is really fast. While it doesn't seem like something that might actually matter, the faster storage means apps install and launch a lot faster. Installing an app (not including the download since that varies based on your area and WiFi strength) takes about one to two seconds.

That's about all of the little touches that I have noticed so far, but I'll update this if I find more or remember any others that I forgot to mention.

How does the phone meet my daily needs?

I think this phone is absolutely excellent. I haven't found my self thinking, "this phone really badly needs..." the exclusion of wireless charging is a shame, but I don't use it anyway, so it's not a big deal for me. I have heard a lot of people complain about the phone not having an IP rating, but that is actually just a number, and none of the companies flaunting a rating actually offer a warranty for water damage, so having that rating doesn't ensure you will get your device repaired anyway. But OnePlus does say that the device has been "bucket tested" which means that you'll be fine using the phone in the rain or if you accidentally drop your phone in the sink. The only thing I really want to see is video for the wide angle lens, and pro mode for the wide and tele lenses.

As a photographer I'm really enjoying this camera. No, it won't replace my SLRs and DSLRs, but I feel confident that no matter where I am, I will always have a capable camera. The lens versatility is also really appreciated and I like that this is a trend in smartphone cameras. There was a new update released yesterday, and the camera just got even better. I think I'll update the camera chapter a little later with some new samples. And as a student, unfortunately it's the summer now, and I only had the phone for the last week or so of class, so I can't really test it for that lifestyle, but I think that features like Zen Mode are really useful, and the fact that Warp Charge can charge up the 7 Pro so quickly means that when I forget to charge the phone the night before, I can just leave it to charge while I get ready, and have enough battery power to make it through the day. Speaking of which, the battery will make it through the day, and if you are a lighter user or don't mind turning down the resolution and refresh rate, this will easily be a two day phone.

I am genuinely happy with the OnePlus 7 Pro, and had I not been given the privilege to get the device for free, I would have bought it. I can't recommend this device enough. It got a lot of bad press for the camera because the "DxOMark update" wasn't out yet, but I have no problem saying that this is an excellent camera. I sent some friends a photo I took with the phone (unedited) and told them I took it on a DSLR, and they all said that it looked great. Here it is for context:

IMG_20190606_190949_Bokeh.jpg

If you are avoiding this phone solely because of the camera, don't. It really is excellent and all of the "armchair experts" (as @KeepTransisting refers to them) criticizing the camera either expect large-sensor camera quality or don't know how to take photos. As I keep saying to people, if I hand my DSLR to any random person, chances are they won't know how to use it, and will say that the camera is bad. "A good craftsman never blames his tools" as they say.

I take so long talking about the camera because it is the most important aspect of a phone to me, and it is for a lot of people, but there are a lot of people spreading misinformation about this camera because they don't know what they're talking about. This camera will be more than enough for everyone, so don't let this be what keeps you from buying the phone. And for me, this phone checks off all of the boxes for me; it has a great camera, excellent battery life, a best-in-class display, pristine software, and amazing hardware.

That's about it for my review for now! As time goes on I'll add to parts of my review I either forgot to mention or edit things that have changed due to software. Now it's time for a shameless plug: if you like my photos, you can see more on Instagram at @dhruvweaver, and if you want to download full resolution photos I have taken, you can get those at unsplash.com/dhruvweaver. Thanks for reading this and thanks to OnePlus for giving me the opportunity to do this. There will also be an AMA in the near future with all of the Lab reviewers, after we have all used the phone for a whole month. And as always, feel free to message me any questions or leave them in this thread, and I will answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Attached Files:

8. Y1559931475010 Cupcake Jun 7, 2019

9. Q1549363495273 Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

IAMRILES likes this.
  10. G_Rich_Cowan_EQlj Gingerbread Jun 8, 2019

G_Rich_Cowan_EQlj, Jun 8, 2019 :
    great review. thanks for taking the time to write it. I agree with you. the OnePlus 7 pro is an absolute beast! There's nothing wrong with the camera, like you say. and as for those stereo speakers they smash my S10 plus and my son's iPhone X's max. and the screen is in its own league.

11. Dhruv Weaver The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 8, 2019

Dhruv Weaver, Jun 8, 2019 :
    Thank you! And yeah, this camera and the phone in general gets a lot of hate, for no reason, that I can figure out, other than people just wanting to complain.

IAMRILES likes this.
  12. D1537323549178 Cupcake Jun 10, 2019

13. G_Rajesh_raj_FQdG Cupcake Jun 12, 2019 at 5:56 AM

14. Dhruv Weaver The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 13, 2019 at 1:00 AM

Dhruv Weaver, Jun 13, 2019 at 1:00 AM :
    Very very good. I want to test it more with different scenes, and when I do I'll update my camera review with the new photos.

15. Khan iqbal akhtar Cupcake Jun 13, 2019 at 5:05 AM

Khan iqbal akhtar, Jun 13, 2019 at 5:05 AM :
    it's a wonderful gizmo and no doubt a quality setter in itself, yet this one is draining battery very fast,
    I m surprised after operating 1plus three t and one plus 6t.

16. Lyyyyyq Cupcake Jun 14, 2019 at 8:55 AM

17. Lyyyyyq Cupcake Jun 14, 2019 at 8:55 AM

18. csrcsr07 Lollipop Jun 16, 2019 at 3:49 AM

Dhruv Weaver likes this.
  19. S1558150532923 Cupcake Jun 17, 2019 at 1:41 PM

20. csrcsr07 Lollipop Jun 18, 2019 at 7:44 AM