[The Lab] - OnePlus 7 Pro review - By Johneebee

1. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 19, 2019

johneebee, May 19, 2019 :
    banner 2.jpg

Intro:

Hey guys and girls, first of all thank you to Oneplus for giving me this opportunity. I’ve been part of the Oneplus hype train and community since 2014 with the Oneplus One (which is still in use and working pretty good). I’ve also owned the 6t, and now the 7 pro, which (spoiler alert) all in all I’ve loved them all. That being said that doesn’t mean nothing negative can be said about their phones and Oneplus asked me for “an unfiltered and unbiased review, and that they are open for negative points. So that’s what I’ll give you, my honest review about the good the bad and what can be improved upon. My latest phone was the 6T so I’ll often be comparing the 7pro to the 6T in the hope to also give people enough info whether it’s worth upgrading. Also I want to make this review for the community, so if you guys have request, feel free to ask me to test particular things!

I'll be talking about all the things I find interesting in the next couple of days.

here we go,

Unboxing
    the box.jpg

Always fun getting a Oneplus box (with typical motivational quotes all over it) in the mail :D

Naamloos-1.jpg

Naamloos-2.jpg

in the red box.jpg
    Here, in the little red box, we find :
    Quick Start Guide
    Safety Information
    A clear TPU Case
    A Welcome Letter by Pete him self!
    Sticker with the Oneplus logo
    And a happy SIM Tray Ejector

Naamloos-4.jpg

And under the phone( which comes with a pre-applied screen protector) we find the region specific Warp Charge 30 Power Adapter and a Warp Type-C Cable which Supports USB 2.0.

7.jpg

And after ripping of the plastic off the, honestly beautiful looking phone on first glance, that concludes the unboxing of the 7 Pro.

Setup and first impressions

Like we can see on the last pic, the notification switch (which I love) and power button are still on the right of the phone and work and click just as good as on the 6T, the only difference is that the notification switch has been slightly lowered, making it easier to reach with your thumb.
    On the left we have a volume rocker. On the top all we get to see at first glance is a microphone and the place where the camera comes out.
    6.jpg

And like you guys know, all we have in the front is screen, screen and even more screen. (and a tiny speaker grill on the top ). The phone really feels premium in the hand with it's rounded edges (later more about them when talking about the display)

5.jpg

And on the bottom we have another 2 microphones, a speaker grill, a USB-C charging port and a dual SIM tray.

4.jpg

Talking about that SIM tray, at first I was kinda "nervous" when I saw that thiny DUAL tray. The tray is two-sided, and is's supposed to hold a NANO- SIM on both sides... how was I supposed to insert them and hold them together at the same time ???
    3.jpg
    But the tray is actually very well made, with the plastic actually holding the sim in place by itself. Some writing on both sides letting you know which side faces the screen and which SIM was going to be nr1. Also the red rubber ring around the tray makes me feel more reassured about it's capacities against dust and splash damage. Well done!

Ok... I'll stop talking about SIM-card trays, I promise! (unless you guys ask me to :p )

Going on, setting- up the device was as easy like any Oneplus phone is nowadays, with "oneplus switch" even helping you with the transfer of files and apps to your new device, and within 20 minutes my phone was ready for use. And after another 20 minutes altering all the settings to my own liking the phone felt like it was tailored to my self. Love the amount of customization Oxygen OS gives us again in the 7 pro.
    Snapped a case on it's back (which I'll be talking about later) and I'm ready to go out and actually use and test it's capabilities.
    2.jpg

The display

The display is just crazy. With it's giant 6,67 inch AMOLED screen in a body which is barely any bigger than my 6T. With no notch at all! And a resolution of 3120 x 1440 pixels (516 ppi) and a 90Hz refresh rate. I wish I could show you guys what those numbers actually feel like in real life, but please believe me when I say it looks like the best screen experience I've witnessed this far! It's super smooth and animations run like butter!
    1.jpg
    A picture doesn't do it justice!
    To be honest, it's more than I feel like I need when using my phone in day to day life, so I would go to the options and downgrade from QHD+ (3120x1440) to FHD+(2336x1080) and go from 90 to 60 Hz which is still beautiful, but gives quite a bit more of Screen On Time (SOT). (I'll do a battery test later on to give actual numbers). Maybe others might also be interested if it would be an option if it would be possible for those options to be altered in gaming mode and a media consumption mode so we could enjoy those features in specific scenario's but not all the time, saving battery live.
    The rounded edges make the phone really feel and look premium, but I would get it if some people wouldn't prefer them, thinking they distort the image on the sides. This is actually barely the case and when looking at the screen straight on isn't an issue. Also despite the rounded edges, while playing games in portrait mode, I had way less accidental touches on the edges because of the way I was holding the phone.
    Also because of the lack of a notch, I don't have to bother thinking what side I want my notch on while playing a game or watching something in portrait mode, it's just all screen, like a phone should be!
    That all being said, I said I was going to be 100% honest in my review, and here comes my first irk. During the launch they announced that the screen can reach a brightness of up to 800 nits. But on manual mode the maximum brightness was comparable to my 6T (which reaches 455 nits both in auto and manual mode) and on auto mode it did look like it got brighter...but not 800nits bright. A youtuber( Erica Griffin) actually tested this and only got to about 400 nits in manual mode and 555 nits max brightness in auto mode. Let's hope this can be fixed in an update if the screen is actually capable of reaching such brightness.

to be continued ( themes: software and performance, battery and camera, conclusion)

Last edited: May 19, 2019

2. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 2, 2019

Stickied Post
    johneebee, Jun 2, 2019 :
    Battery performance

Charging: WarpCharge 30, a nice term, but how fast is it? With its 5V/6A low-voltage high-current flash charge technology, they’ve cranked up the charging speed by 38%. Charging the 4000mAh battery from 0-100 % with warp charge takes me almost exactly 80 minutes. But only 30 minutes to charge from 0-60%, and 60 minutes to go from 0-90%. They say that “a great advantages of Warp Charge 30 is that a constant temperature can be maintained even if you use your OnePlus 7 Pro intensively while charging.” Now do I agree with that? Kinda. The phone doesn’t get warm while charging, but if you ‘re gaming while charging, it does get slightly warmer, not uncomfortably hot, but you can feel it just a bit. That being said, it doesn’t get half as hot as other phones get under the same circumstances, so that being said, well done Oneplus!

Overnight discharge: in my experience I had about 3-4% of discharge over night ( over 7-8 hours).

So like I said in the last chapter is that you have the option to switch between QHD+ (3120x1440) to FHD+(2336x1080) and go from 90 to 60 Hz. And they do mention in the settings that this might influence how fast the battery discharges. So of course I tested it.

First of all as a disclaimer I don’t want people to compare my performance with someone else’s. This is always something that’s depends on personal use, how much you listen to music, with or without the screen on, if you leave your mobile internet on all the time, and so on.
    The phone prompts to use battery saver at 15% to extend battery life by turning off some device features and restricting apps, but I never turned this feature on to give a proper analysis
    1. First I tested what for me is my main set up, FHD+(2336x1080) and 60Hz ,since I myself find this more than enough and don’t feel like I need the QHD+ and 90Hz all the time.
      FHD+(2336x1080) and 60Hz: FHD+(2336x1080) and 60Hz.jpg
      First of all sorry for the Dutch :p(I put English as my phone's main language in the next tests), but like you see I was able to use the phone for 44hours and had a SOT(screen on time) of 7hours and 44 minutes. In my experience, awesome!
    2. On the other side of the spectrum. When testing QHD+ (3120x1440) and 90Hz, I got to admit, it’s actually visible how smooth all the animations and how smooth scrolling looks like.
      QHD+ (3120x1440) and 90Hz: QHD+ (3120x1440) and 90Hz.jpg
      Not bad right? But as expected still 2 hours and 15 minutes less SOT. With a total of 5 hours and 30 minutes SOT while being on for 48 hours since the phone was charged until 100%. So make your own decision what you find more important and if the increased display performance are worth the 2 hours and 15 minutes decrease in SOT.

Tested the same with using QHD+/60Hz and FHD+/90Hz to see which one takes the most.
    3. QHD+/60Hz QHD+ and 60Hz.jpg
    4. FHD+/90Hz FHD+ and 90Hz.jpg
      So it seems that high screen refresh rate takes the most juice out of the battery ( in my test 1hour and 10 minutes less SOT than on FDH and 60Hz) and the high screen calibration the least( only 20 minutes less SOT than on FDH and 60Hz).
    Let me know if you would like other tests to be done.

Oxygen OS and new options

I’ll Include some pics of settings you can adjust but if you ever owned a Oneplus device you’ll probably be familiar with most of them, but if you have any extra questions, feel free to ask.
    Settings main.jpg
    Display settings.jpg
    When looking at the display options you’ll probably notice of course I went for the dark theme. What’s new in the 7 pro is the options to change “screen refresh rate” and “resolution”, which I already talked about.

Sound and vibrations settings.jpg
    When looking at the sound option you’ll see the “Dolby Atmos” option where you can change the sound according to the situation, with the options: dynamic(adjusting to the specific situation), film and music. I usually just leave it on dynamic, and I can say the sound sounds pretty great coming out of the speakers. And yes we finally have some stereo-speaker-effect, thanks to the fact that the earpiece also works as a speaker, which actually sound very decent and loud. Also I wasn’t a fan of the fact that they moved the bottom speakers to the lower right corner but I got to admit holding the phone in landscape mode it happens way less often that I cover the speakers and get a muffled sound.

Improved Haptic Vibration
    We again have the option to change the vibration intensity but now thanks to the new X-axis motor, the haptic vibration does feel way stronger and when compared to the 6t the vibrations feels way different, and medium intensity on the 7 pro is already comparable with strong on the 6t, so it feels significantly stronger, which I love.

Security and lockscreen settings.jpg
    When looking at security &lock screen options we again see many of the familiar options. The option face-unlock is still possible but now of course that means that the front facing camera has to come up every time you want to unlock the screen. I personally chose not to turn this option on to save the motor mechanism, but it’s nice to have this option in case the fingerprint sensor doesn’t do the trick or isn’t available because of gloves. It's also nice that when choosing this option, you can make it so that the camera only comes up when you slide up so the camera module would only slide up when you aren't able to use the fingerprint sensor and which makes me worry allot less about the camera-motor mechanism.

I guess this was a boring chapter but if anyone has some questions or saw options that they would wanna know more about, feel free to ask.

next up: camera review

Venky61, buntycubal and JelleZon like this.
  3. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 7, 2019

Stickied Post
    johneebee, Jun 7, 2019 :
    Camera

disclaimer: this review is written while on oxygen OS 9.5.5 , things might be different in newer versions. All this pictures ain't in there original size and quality, I made them all
    smaller so I could upload them on this site (with the help of the great app YaImco).

Like you all know the phone has 4 camera's:
    camera detaills.png

Now let's talk about what they can do:

Portrait mode;
    Not all camera's can be used in every situation.
    In portrait mode, or "bokeh" the telephoto(3X) camera is used. This is great in some situation, but sometimes I do wish it would be possible to use the main camera so I wouldn't have to back away as much to get everything in frame when I make a normal picture and a bokeh pic to chose which one I prefer. That being said, I do love the results.
    IMG_20190518_132923_Bokeh_001.jpg

IMG_20190518_143828_Bokeh_001.jpg

IMG_20190518_143900_001.jpg
    I added the last pic to show how the picture looks like without the bokeh effect. With it, the picture looks quite alright to upload on a cooking blog, but without, not so much.
    I love the edge detection and the great effect I get out of it. I know I'm by no means a great shutter-bug like some people on this forum are, but I'm quite satisfied with my results for my standards :p

The telephoto lens
    Without the bokeh effect, the telephoto lens shows also some quite nice results (great for capturing bee's when you don't want to get to close since you're actually allergic, but want to make a "cool" picture for your review). I do have to say, that even without the bokeh effect on, you do get the same effect sometimes when you're quite close to the thing you're taking a picture off, but that's normal and makes the pictures look very nice in my opinion.

IMG_20190518_181618_001.jpg

IMG_20190518_181530_001.jpg

IMG_20190519_114548_001.jpg

The main camera and the wide-angle camera :
    Now the most important camera is the main camera, it's the camera that you use by default when you want to make a video (hope this changes in an update and becomes an option).

But my favorite camera of the 7 pro is without a doubt the wide angle camera.
    Here are some shots of them compared and I think you'll see why it's my favorite.

main:
    IMG_20190521_153647_001.jpg
    wide- angle:
    IMG_20190521_153454_001.jpg

main (while in a moving vehicle) :
    IMG_20190602_152822_001.jpg
    wide-angle (while in a moving vehicle):
    IMG_20190602_152830_001.jpg

Both look very good in my eyes. But it's clear that the dynamic range isn't the same, which I kinda hope they change. The main camera has better dynamic range with greens and blue's being way clearer. But actually the lower dynamic range of the wide angle is more true to live so that's why I prefer the wide angle. The pictures look like they have way more drama and if you prefer the higher dynamic ranges you can still adjust it in pro mode or do it in post.

Night mode
    I took pictures with node mode(nightscene) on and off and also used google camera(nightsight) to see what one is better. Also in this mode, only the main camera can be used as of yet.

main camera, night mode off
    IMG_20190523_222532_001.jpg
    main camera , oneplus's nightscene
    IMG_20190523_222555_001.jpg
    main camera: google's nightscene
    IMG_20190523_222927_001.jpg

So on first sight I see why some people might like google's nightsight, but for me it's clearly not a winner. Yes it lets in more light and everything looks brighter, but you lose allot of detail, and everything looks unnecessarily yellow. The clouds have lost all their detail in google's pic, but they look great on oneplus's nightscene.

The front facing camera:
    So I'm not the kind of guy who post's allot of selfie's. But, I am quite a tech geek, and after seeing the safety mechanism of the camera i was intrigued, so one of the first things I did when receiving this phone was testing how fast the camera can retract in free fall.

So first of all forgive me for filming vertically, but I think that was most interesting for this test.
    So what I did here was dropping the phone from1,2meter above the ground (a very fluffy bed) and by marking the wall every 10 cm, see where the camera fully retracts.
    Now to be honest I'm not 100% pleased. Out of the 20 times I dropped my phone (yes the things I do for you people, I hope my crazyness is somewhat appriciated !o_O ) it was only fully retracted about 70% of the times, and only just. Now the fact that it's almost fully retracted will probably reduce the damage by allot ( torsional forces for who paid attention in school ), but would still have preferred it if it would have been a tad faster.

Any other requests? (no I'm not putting my phone in more danger than this @BobbyV8_ @meatandy :p )

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019

Venky61, BobbyV8_ and meatandy like this.
  4. T1558131109419 Gingerbread May 19, 2019

5. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 19, 2019

Camera: gonna talk about it more in depth later on, but no not at all. I was waiting for my review because the last update was said to improve upon the camera by quite allot and it very much did! Been making pics that I my self am actually proud off, and I'm not a great shutter bug, like some people on this forum are. (all the pics in the first post are made with the 6T, I'll be uploading pics of the 7 pro in my next update)
    Battery: I use my phone quite allot in my free time (testing the camera's and gaming on it), and still have 45% left by the time I go to bed, so personally, I don't have any issues

6. meatandy Oreo May 19, 2019

meatandy, May 19, 2019 :
    JohneeDee ,
    For some reason not all pictures are showing.

johneebee likes this.
  7. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 19, 2019

Lol, thanks for letting me know, should be fixed now :oops:

8. meatandy Oreo May 19, 2019

meatandy, May 19, 2019 :
    Indeed , looks like you're off to a great start.

johneebee likes this.
  9. MarkoBatrac Honeycomb May 20, 2019

MarkoBatrac, May 20, 2019 :
    When you comparing screen on op6t and op7 pro ,inside/outside,, which one is better ? visibility etc.. Thanks

10. EABowden Ice Cream Sandwich May 20, 2019

EABowden, May 20, 2019 :
    So even though you're desperate not to give a bad review, you acknowledge the distortion the curved edges cause.

The phone is only usable directly face on and indoors. Outside or near to any decent light source, the reflections and glare are appalling.

DARTH 007 likes this.
  11. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 20, 2019

FlixbusLennart, May 20, 2019 :
    Hey mate, nice initial feeling with your review.

Considering the TPU case in the box, does it have "ears"?
    It's hard to describe. When I got my OP6, the case had 4 ears in the corners of the screen, heading towards the user. It was great, you could rest the phone on its screen side without having the screen touch ground.

Here is what I am talking about

[​IMG]

Source:

buntycubal likes this.
  12. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

johneebee, May 20, 2019 :
    yes my phone is now constantly in the TPU case and it has raised edges, but not " ears" but a slightly raised full bottom and top part making the screen not touch any flat surface it's layed on ever so slightly ( I'll add a picture later tonight if you like )

Last edited: May 20, 2019

buntycubal and FlixbusLennart like this.
  13. EABowden Ice Cream Sandwich May 20, 2019

EABowden, May 20, 2019 :
    Looking forward to hear an honest review of the distortion and glare in bright/sun light where the display curves. As you know, I've seen youtube reviews where it looks blue or green down the edges on a white background, and in sunlight there is so much glare on the edges of the screen it's basically unusable.

johneebee likes this.
  14. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert May 20, 2019

dsmonteiro, May 20, 2019 :
    Can't speak for him, of course, but to be honest, I'm having a far better experience than what I was expecting on that regard. The display is nothing short of amazing, even when compared side-by-side to other flagships. I see no distortion when looking to the display head-on. That's not to say that there isn't any distortion when looking from an angle, but AMOLEDs have a greenish tint when looking at an angle. That has happened to me with all AMOLED panels I've used so far.

As for usability outside, haven't tried it on a sunny day (bit cloudy ever since I returned from London), but the outside visibility has been more than adequate so far. Can and will update you on that once the weather improves a bit.

buntycubal, MarkoBatrac and johneebee like this.
  15. Antgl Honeycomb May 20, 2019

16. DARTH 007 KitKat May 20, 2019

DARTH 007, May 20, 2019 :
    seriously.
    thanks is for the review.
    will keep that in mind once I check out the phone.
    did they go for the curved glass to help reduce the thickness of the phone from the side?????

17. EABowden Ice Cream Sandwich May 20, 2019

EABowden, May 20, 2019 :
    That's my assumption. It feels really nice in the hand - it doesn't feel like a 9mm thick phone, but to get the pop-up camera inside the device it got really thick.

Consider the OnePlus 5 - that was (is) a beautiful phone, was 7mm thick and weighed just 153g. The 7 Pro is an absolute monster beside it, so they had to try and fool users that they weren't holding a brick

18. DARTH 007 KitKat May 20, 2019

DARTH 007, May 20, 2019 :
    90hz for smooth scrolling only.
    qhd + 90 hz- more battery consumption
    curved screen distortion
    camera - wide screen not good. don't know about the rest.
    need to check out in person but these are all bummers for the price they are asking for.
    moreover the colour I like is more costly which is again not justified.

EABowden likes this.
  19. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

It aint easy to take a picture of the raised edge of the clear TPU case but I hope these one's give some kind of an idea.
    tpu case 1.jpg Here you can see how it's the full bottom and top part that's raised ( about a millimetre or 2 )
    tpu case 2.jpg tpu case 3.jpg
    And on the last 2 pics you can see how you can look under the raised edge ever so slightly. (also tried pushing in the middle but of course it doesn't bend, so no, it won't touch any flat surface when laid down)

buntycubal and FlixbusLennart like this.
  20. stansuys Froyo May 20, 2019

johneebee likes this.
  21. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

I'm not "desperate" not to give a bad review. my exact words in the intro are " Oneplus asked me for “an unfiltered and unbiased review, and that they are open for negative points. So that’s what I’ll give you, my honest review about the good the bad and what can be improved upon." that's also not the only "bad" thing I had to say, also talked about the screen brightness not being as bright as I expected according to the launch event detaills. So yes, I'll talk everything I think of the phone in all honesty.
    But that being said, I feel like some small things are being blown out of proportion. The curve on the screen is not something I'd personally choose, but the fact that it's there hardly is a dealbreaker for my self (only when looking at it from a side is it bad...but that's not how you'd consume media anyways. Made a gif of a grid (since lines are the worst thing that you see being distorted),(click here to check it out since it's to big to upload) and that's only when you're not holding it in front of yourself, but not gonna lie, it's there.
    I agree with you that the best part about the curve is that it feels good in the hands. (Also was surprised but I have less accidental touches on the sides when playing in landscape than I had on the 6T. )

Also you asked about the glare in direct sun light. Also this is very comparable to the 6T. Which also did reflect quite a bit when facing perpendicular with the sun. But thanks to the fact that it's a bit brighter it's less of an issue. But all you have to do is tilt just a bit not even much and the issue is pretty much gone.

To be honest, in my opinion, the screen is lovely, I wouldn't mind if the curve wasn't there, but I still very much love it, and it's growing on me...not gonna switch back to my "old" 6T :p

Last edited: May 20, 2019

buntycubal and EABowden like this.
  22. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

comfort: I feel like both phones feel great in the hand (I usually put a cover on them so it doesn't change that much for me) but when I hold them without a cover they do feel a bit different. The 6t feels a bit thinner and sharper on the edges in your hands ( not that it's painful or anything :p ). The 7 pro feel a bit wider and rounder on the edges making me feel like I have more of a grip on the 7 pro and the chances of dropping it are lower. Also the dimensions of the phone (except for the thickness) are pretty much the same, so it fits just as good in my hands and in my pockets (but might be a bit big for female pockets, just like any 6.6 inch phone).

glare/ reflection: very much comparable.

performance: the 7 pro is a bit brighter (I hope allot brighter after an update, but I don't know if they'll update it) and visibly better with a sharper image. But than again, for most people the 6T would already be enough, it's a great screen already, the 7 pro is just better. The 90 Hz refresh rate makes animations look smoother. But for people like me, 60 Hz is already enough, so I lowered it in the settings menu to save on battery live, but it's nice that the option is there.

buntycubal and MarkoBatrac like this.