[The Lab] - OnePlus 7 Pro review - By Johneebee

1. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

johneebee, May 20, 2019 :
    While I do agree with you that the QHD and 90 Hz use more battery and are mostly interesting when going trough fast moving animations like games, scrolling or media consumption ,these are functions you can turn off and go to FHD and 60 Hz. (actually testing now how much difference there is). Than again, if you don't need them and have a good phone right now, there is indeed no reason to upgrade
    The distortion isn't that bad when holding the phone, you can compare it on video reviews, it's only bad when looking at it from a low angle (but yes if you do, than I 100% agree that it's there).

buntycubal likes this.
  2. DARTH 007 KitKat May 20, 2019

DARTH 007, May 20, 2019 :
    thanks for the review.
    using the 6 and was thinking of upgrading for the full screen without the notch.
    but I should get what I pay more and I'm not getting that fully on this device.
    maybe I'll wait for the next OnePlus.

johneebee likes this.
  3. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

Not to me, it feels just as big as the 6t, just a bit taller when holding them against each other by a few millimetres (not wider) and a bit thicker, but to me the 6T felt to thin. The 7 pro feels a bit better in my hand, like I won't drop it easily. But it's a 6,67 " display, so for some people it might be to big, and some might never want something smaller again :p

buntycubal and Antgl like this.
  4. theshinybeast Marshmallow May 20, 2019

theshinybeast, May 20, 2019 :
    The more obvious distortion is how you try to manipulate his words to fit your opinion.

Budruel likes this.
  5. EABowden Ice Cream Sandwich May 20, 2019

EABowden, May 20, 2019 :
    Thanks for your detailed reply

FlixbusLennart and johneebee like this.
  6. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 20, 2019

FlixbusLennart, May 20, 2019 :
    Yay! Really wondered how that case would turn out, now that the edges aren't flat anymore. Thanks for the extra work, really appreciate it!

johneebee likes this.
  7. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member May 20, 2019

Ruby G., May 20, 2019 :
    @johneebee I love your reviews! Always some details to make me chuckle. So cool that you won a spot on The Lab this year :D I'm no longer on the global team, but cool to see that the good stuff keeps churning :)

8. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

It's very much thanks to you and your fun topics that inspired me to write and keep coming back to the community that I'm still here. Very thankful for that :D And yea, been hoping to become part of the lab for years now :D

Bouncer71, buntycubal and Ruby G. like this.
  9. G_plusone Marshmallow May 21, 2019

G_plusone, May 21, 2019 :
    Great Work @johneebee

johneebee likes this.
  10. Loveit Jelly Bean May 21, 2019

Loveit, May 21, 2019 :
    Are you a shill?

11. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

johneebee, May 21, 2019 :
    a shill as in "an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler who poses as a genuine customer to entice or encourage others."? (had to look it up :p ) Nah, I'm just someone who got lucky enough to be allowed to be part of the lab review squat. I think if you read everything I say, you can see that I don't only talk about the positive and that will also be so in my next parts of the review.

buntycubal, Plenkske and Loveit like this.
  12. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 2, 2019

Stickied Post
    johneebee, Jun 2, 2019 :
    Battery performance

Charging: WarpCharge 30, a nice term, but how fast is it? With its 5V/6A low-voltage high-current flash charge technology, they’ve cranked up the charging speed by 38%. Charging the 4000mAh battery from 0-100 % with warp charge takes me almost exactly 80 minutes. But only 30 minutes to charge from 0-60%, and 60 minutes to go from 0-90%. They say that “a great advantages of Warp Charge 30 is that a constant temperature can be maintained even if you use your OnePlus 7 Pro intensively while charging.” Now do I agree with that? Kinda. The phone doesn’t get warm while charging, but if you ‘re gaming while charging, it does get slightly warmer, not uncomfortably hot, but you can feel it just a bit. That being said, it doesn’t get half as hot as other phones get under the same circumstances, so that being said, well done Oneplus!

Overnight discharge: in my experience I had about 3-4% of discharge over night ( over 7-8 hours).

So like I said in the last chapter is that you have the option to switch between QHD+ (3120x1440) to FHD+(2336x1080) and go from 90 to 60 Hz. And they do mention in the settings that this might influence how fast the battery discharges. So of course I tested it.

First of all as a disclaimer I don’t want people to compare my performance with someone else’s. This is always something that’s depends on personal use, how much you listen to music, with or without the screen on, if you leave your mobile internet on all the time, and so on.
    The phone prompts to use battery saver at 15% to extend battery life by turning off some device features and restricting apps, but I never turned this feature on to give a proper analysis
    1. First I tested what for me is my main set up, FHD+(2336x1080) and 60Hz ,since I myself find this more than enough and don’t feel like I need the QHD+ and 90Hz all the time.
      FHD+(2336x1080) and 60Hz: FHD+(2336x1080) and 60Hz.jpg
      First of all sorry for the Dutch :p(I put English as my phone's main language in the next tests), but like you see I was able to use the phone for 44hours and had a SOT(screen on time) of 7hours and 44 minutes. In my experience, awesome!
    2. On the other side of the spectrum. When testing QHD+ (3120x1440) and 90Hz, I got to admit, it’s actually visible how smooth all the animations and how smooth scrolling looks like.
      QHD+ (3120x1440) and 90Hz: QHD+ (3120x1440) and 90Hz.jpg
      Not bad right? But as expected still 2 hours and 15 minutes less SOT. With a total of 5 hours and 30 minutes SOT while being on for 48 hours since the phone was charged until 100%. So make your own decision what you find more important and if the increased display performance are worth the 2 hours and 15 minutes decrease in SOT.

Tested the same with using QHD+/60Hz and FHD+/90Hz to see which one takes the most.
    3. QHD+/60Hz QHD+ and 60Hz.jpg
    4. FHD+/90Hz FHD+ and 90Hz.jpg
      So it seems that high screen refresh rate takes the most juice out of the battery ( in my test 1hour and 10 minutes less SOT than on FDH and 60Hz) and the high screen calibration the least( only 20 minutes less SOT than on FDH and 60Hz).
    Let me know if you would like other tests to be done.

Oxygen OS and new options

I’ll Include some pics of settings you can adjust but if you ever owned a Oneplus device you’ll probably be familiar with most of them, but if you have any extra questions, feel free to ask.
    Settings main.jpg
    Display settings.jpg
    When looking at the display options you’ll probably notice of course I went for the dark theme. What’s new in the 7 pro is the options to change “screen refresh rate” and “resolution”, which I already talked about.

Sound and vibrations settings.jpg
    When looking at the sound option you’ll see the “Dolby Atmos” option where you can change the sound according to the situation, with the options: dynamic(adjusting to the specific situation), film and music. I usually just leave it on dynamic, and I can say the sound sounds pretty great coming out of the speakers. And yes we finally have some stereo-speaker-effect, thanks to the fact that the earpiece also works as a speaker, which actually sound very decent and loud. Also I wasn’t a fan of the fact that they moved the bottom speakers to the lower right corner but I got to admit holding the phone in landscape mode it happens way less often that I cover the speakers and get a muffled sound.

Improved Haptic Vibration
    We again have the option to change the vibration intensity but now thanks to the new X-axis motor, the haptic vibration does feel way stronger and when compared to the 6t the vibrations feels way different, and medium intensity on the 7 pro is already comparable with strong on the 6t, so it feels significantly stronger, which I love.

Security and lockscreen settings.jpg
    When looking at security &lock screen options we again see many of the familiar options. The option face-unlock is still possible but now of course that means that the front facing camera has to come up every time you want to unlock the screen. I personally chose not to turn this option on to save the motor mechanism, but it’s nice to have this option in case the fingerprint sensor doesn’t do the trick or isn’t available because of gloves. It's also nice that when choosing this option, you can make it so that the camera only comes up when you slide up so the camera module would only slide up when you aren't able to use the fingerprint sensor and which makes me worry allot less about the camera-motor mechanism.

I guess this was a boring chapter but if anyone has some questions or saw options that they would wanna know more about, feel free to ask.

next up: camera review

Venky61, buntycubal and JelleZon like this.
  13. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 7, 2019

Stickied Post
    johneebee, Jun 7, 2019 :
    Camera

disclaimer: this review is written while on oxygen OS 9.5.5 , things might be different in newer versions. All this pictures ain't in there original size and quality, I made them all
    smaller so I could upload them on this site (with the help of the great app YaImco).

Like you all know the phone has 4 camera's:
    camera detaills.png

Now let's talk about what they can do:

Portrait mode;
    Not all camera's can be used in every situation.
    In portrait mode, or "bokeh" the telephoto(3X) camera is used. This is great in some situation, but sometimes I do wish it would be possible to use the main camera so I wouldn't have to back away as much to get everything in frame when I make a normal picture and a bokeh pic to chose which one I prefer. That being said, I do love the results.
    IMG_20190518_132923_Bokeh_001.jpg

IMG_20190518_143828_Bokeh_001.jpg

IMG_20190518_143900_001.jpg
    I added the last pic to show how the picture looks like without the bokeh effect. With it, the picture looks quite alright to upload on a cooking blog, but without, not so much.
    I love the edge detection and the great effect I get out of it. I know I'm by no means a great shutter-bug like some people on this forum are, but I'm quite satisfied with my results for my standards :p

The telephoto lens
    Without the bokeh effect, the telephoto lens shows also some quite nice results (great for capturing bee's when you don't want to get to close since you're actually allergic, but want to make a "cool" picture for your review). I do have to say, that even without the bokeh effect on, you do get the same effect sometimes when you're quite close to the thing you're taking a picture off, but that's normal and makes the pictures look very nice in my opinion.

IMG_20190518_181618_001.jpg

IMG_20190518_181530_001.jpg

IMG_20190519_114548_001.jpg

The main camera and the wide-angle camera :
    Now the most important camera is the main camera, it's the camera that you use by default when you want to make a video (hope this changes in an update and becomes an option).

But my favorite camera of the 7 pro is without a doubt the wide angle camera.
    Here are some shots of them compared and I think you'll see why it's my favorite.

main:
    IMG_20190521_153647_001.jpg
    wide- angle:
    IMG_20190521_153454_001.jpg

main (while in a moving vehicle) :
    IMG_20190602_152822_001.jpg
    wide-angle (while in a moving vehicle):
    IMG_20190602_152830_001.jpg

Both look very good in my eyes. But it's clear that the dynamic range isn't the same, which I kinda hope they change. The main camera has better dynamic range with greens and blue's being way clearer. But actually the lower dynamic range of the wide angle is more true to live so that's why I prefer the wide angle. The pictures look like they have way more drama and if you prefer the higher dynamic ranges you can still adjust it in pro mode or do it in post.

Night mode
    I took pictures with node mode(nightscene) on and off and also used google camera(nightsight) to see what one is better. Also in this mode, only the main camera can be used as of yet.

main camera, night mode off
    IMG_20190523_222532_001.jpg
    main camera , oneplus's nightscene
    IMG_20190523_222555_001.jpg
    main camera: google's nightscene
    IMG_20190523_222927_001.jpg

So on first sight I see why some people might like google's nightsight, but for me it's clearly not a winner. Yes it lets in more light and everything looks brighter, but you lose allot of detail, and everything looks unnecessarily yellow. The clouds have lost all their detail in google's pic, but they look great on oneplus's nightscene.

The front facing camera:
    So I'm not the kind of guy who post's allot of selfie's. But, I am quite a tech geek, and after seeing the safety mechanism of the camera i was intrigued, so one of the first things I did when receiving this phone was testing how fast the camera can retract in free fall.

So first of all forgive me for filming vertically, but I think that was most interesting for this test.
    So what I did here was dropping the phone from1,2meter above the ground (a very fluffy bed) and by marking the wall every 10 cm, see where the camera fully retracts.
    Now to be honest I'm not 100% pleased. Out of the 20 times I dropped my phone (yes the things I do for you people, I hope my crazyness is somewhat appriciated !o_O ) it was only fully retracted about 70% of the times, and only just. Now the fact that it's almost fully retracted will probably reduce the damage by allot ( torsional forces for who paid attention in school ), but would still have preferred it if it would have been a tad faster.

Any other requests? (no I'm not putting my phone in more danger than this @BobbyV8_ @meatandy :p )

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019

Venky61, BobbyV8_ and meatandy like this.
  14. meatandy Oreo Jun 7, 2019

meatandy, Jun 7, 2019 :
    Looks like you eat a balanced meal , is that normal diet for you ?

15. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 7, 2019

johneebee, Jun 7, 2019 :
    lol yup totally, when I have the time in the weekend at least :rolleyes:
    Seriously trying to be a bit healthy though to be honest ^^

meatandy likes this.
  16. meatandy Oreo Jun 7, 2019

meatandy, Jun 7, 2019 :
    Would you be able to give the camera an overall score of x-amount out of ten stars and what is the cameras single shortfall ?

17. johneebee The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 7, 2019

johneebee, Jun 7, 2019 :
    front facing camera: 9/10; front facing camera mechanism: 7/10 ( it was fast, but not fast enough to fully retract from average holding height)
    back facing camera's: 8,5/10 , Love the camera's, they make great pictures and I know that with updates they can get even better. I personally would like more freedom with what camera to use when filming/ making portrait pics and wish that dynamic range would be equal in all 3 of the camera's.
    overall score: 8,75/ 10

my biggest shortfall, moving motorised camera-mechanism: especially with recent news about multiple companies making under the screen camera's, I feel like this will be something from the past pretty soon

meatandy likes this.
  18. Venky61 Jelly Bean Jul 10, 2019

Venky61, Jul 10, 2019 :
    Sorry for the late arrival, but great review :) You are getting better with the photos for sure.
    I loved the phone especially the QHD 90Hz display and the Curved screen.
    As you were using 6T earlier, how was your experience with the improved FPS in 7 pro and the Dual Speaker?