[The Lab] OnePlus 7 Pro Review - By Santosh Savanur

1. santoshsavanur The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

santoshsavanur, May 20, 2019 :
    LabHeader.jpg

First things first, a huge shoutout to OnePlus for giving me this opportunity to review the OnePlus 7 Pro, as part of The Lab program. I think it's a great initiative on their behalf to let the community members try out their newest devices and publish their honest feedback.

About me:
    Project Manager by profession. Areas of interest include Tech, IT, smartphones, movies, cricket.
    Android user, Stock market noob, Bitcoin and blockchain beginner and a novice smartphone photographer.
    Opinions and rants at: https://twitter.com/santoshsavanur
    Moments at: https://www.instagram.com/santoshsavanur
    Device history: OnePlus One > OnePlus 2 > OnePlus X > OnePlus 3 > Google Pixel XL (dead, RIP) > Samsung S7 (current device)

Ok, here we go!

Introduction:

From being a relatively unknown brand in the world of smartphones back in early 2014 to upstaging heavyweights such as Samsung and Apple more than once as the leading premium smartphone brand in India (Source: Counterpoint research http://tiny.cc/g9jz6y), OnePlus has come a long way in the last 5 years. Traditionally, at around this time of the year, OnePlus unleashes its 'Flagship Killer' device, with an incremental T variant (one-up over Apple's 'S' variants?) launching in November. Built on the foundation of "Never Settle", OnePlus packs its devices with top-of-the-line hardware, a near stock Android experience with almost no compromises, yet offers them at substantially lower prices when compared to their competitors. This year is no exception. Behold, the OnePlus 7 Pro.

I will present this review in multiple chapters, each one targeting a specific topic about the device.

1. Unboxing
    Build and Design [updated 27th May]
    3. Display [updated 3rd June]
    4. Performance/Software/Battery life/Miscellaneous [updated 5th June]
    5. Camera [updated 8th June]
    6. Conclusion [updated 8th June]

Chapter 1: Unboxing:

The OnePlus 7 ships in the same minimalist white cardboard box that we all have come to love, with the bright red OnePlus logo on the top. OnePlus has time and again attributed its success to the OnePlus community and its made evident on the box.

MainBox_1.jpg

MainBox_2.jpg

The sides of the box have "Go Beyond Speed" and the "OnePlus 7 Pro" mentioned on them, while the rear shows the color, variant and IMEIs of the device within the box, along with some partner information. OnePlus sought my preference and I chose the Nebula Blue version with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB ROM. The other option offered was the Mirror Gray (same memory configuration). Just like everyone else, I had also seen the leaked renders and was very eager to get a feel of the Nebula Blue variant.

MainBox_Side1.jpg

MainBox_Side2.jpg

MainBox_Side3.jpg

MainBox_Back.jpg

OnePlus also sent along a Nylon Bumper case that looks pretty rugged and seems to offer a good grip.

MainBox_WithNylonCase1.jpg

NylonCase_1.jpg

Opening up the box, we first get a bright red cardboard casing which contains the clear Silicon Case, along with the Safety Information Manual, a Welcome card, a SIM ejector tool, some paperwork and some OnePlus stickers.

Unboxed_1.jpg

Unboxed_2.jpg

Unboxed_3.jpg

Once we get these out of the way, we get to the MVP. The OnePlus 7 Pro, wrapped in a thin plastic cover with a matte feel. Once you pick up the device, you immediately realize that it has some heft to it, which I don't recollect associating with OnePlus devices since the OnePlus 2. Take off the plastic cover and we're greeted with the stunning blue glass back, with a unique frosty looking matte finish and smooth curves. More on this in the design and build section. For now, I'll leave you with some pictures.

Phone_wrapped_1.jpg

Phone_1.jpg

Phone_2.jpg

Phone_3.jpg

Phone_11.jpg

Phone_4.jpg

Phone_5.jpg

Phone_6.jpg

Phone_7.jpg

Phone_8.jpg

Phone_9.jpg

Phone_10.jpg

Setting the phone aside, we get to the bottom two compartments of the box which house the WARP charger and the USB Type-A to USB Type-C charging cable. The charger is rated 30W (5V/6A) and OnePlus claims that it can charge the device 38% faster while keeping the thermals under control.

Charger_1.jpg

Charger_2.jpg

Charger_3.jpg

Starting with the 6T, OnePlus has joined the "No 3.5 headphone jack" club, where the Type-C port serves for both charging and audio output. While this seems like a perfectly okay strategy to boost the sales of their accessories such as the Type-C Bullets and the Bullets Wireless, OnePlus not including a Type-C to 3.5 mm jack adapter within the box is a bummer. For a phone costing upwards of 650$ (>47k in India), including this adapter within the box is a no-brainer and OnePlus seems to have taken a step backwards here when compared to the 6T.

As Zack from JerryRigEverything says, "Glass is glass and glass breaks" and to help protect the device, the OnePlus 7 Pro comes with a Silicon clear case within the box. The clear case has precise cut-outs for all the buttons and offer adequate grip while still allowing us to show off the gorgeous Nebula Blue back.

Case_1.jpg

However, I was more drawn towards the Nylon bumper case that OnePlus had sent additionally. The texture on the case offers a firm grip on the device, which otherwise can be a bit slippery owing to the smooth glass back.

Case_2.jpg

Case_3.jpg

Case_4.jpg

The Nylon bumper case also hides the camera bump when the phone is resting on its back and helps avoid the camera glass from getting scratched. The front of the case has a minute lip all along the edges, but it does not fully protect the screen when the phone is kept face down on any surface.

As a personal preference, I choose protection over aesthetics when it comes to phone cases and hence, put my phone in the Nylon bumper case from day 1. Here are some more pictures of the device with case on.

CaseOnPhone_1.jpg

CaseOnPhone_2.jpg

CaseOnPhone_3.jpg

CaseOnPhone_4.jpg

I have used the phone only for 3-4 days and here are the initial impressions. These might change based on how the device holds up over the next couple of weeks.
    1. You already know this but I'll still say it. The display is just amazing. The in-display fingerprint sensor is way faster compared to the 6T.
    2. Oxygen OS is extra smooth and snappy. No app crashes/freezes yet.
    3. Initial battery life on QHD+ resolution + 90 Hz refresh rate gives around 5.5 - 6 hours SOT with light to moderate usage.
    4. OnePlus just pushed an OTA over the weekend for the camera along with other improvements. So I'll reserve the opinion on that for later.
    5. WARP charging is crazy fast. 0-100% takes approximately 75-85 minutes.
    6. Stereo speakers work very well with the gorgeous display for binge watching on Netflix and YouTube.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

2. santoshsavanur The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 27, 2019

Stickied Post
    santoshsavanur, May 27, 2019 :
    Chapter 2: Build and Design

The first thing you notice when you pick up the OnePlus 7 Pro in your hand is just how heavy it is. Weighing in at just over 200 grams, it's got to be one of the heavier phones out there in the market. Having said this, the OnePlus 7 Pro is pretty much a piece of art. There's a polished metallic frame that is sandwiched between glass on either side, both made with Gorilla glass 5. The back of the Nebula Blue variant gives a shimmering frosty look to it when it reflects light off its surface. The back also has a certain matte feel to it, that makes it less of a fingerprint magnet when compared to the Gray variant.

Back_1.jpg

Back_2.jpg

The design is typical OnePlus, clean with very minimum text. The OnePlus logo in silvery white is placed just below the camera flash, while the brand-name is near the bottom in a less pronounced shade of silver along with the model number and trademark symbols. This shade somehow makes the text completely vanish at certain angles, giving it an even cleaner look.

Back_4.jpg

Back_3.jpg

To put things in perspective when it comes to size and design, here are a few shots of the OnePlus 7 Pro next to the Red OnePlus 6 and Mirror Black OnePlus 6T. For the naked eye, the OnePlus 7 Pro is just as wide as the 6T, while being taller than both the 6 and the 6T. The screen curving around the edges can also be prominently in the images.

Comparison_1.jpg

Comparison_2.jpg

Comparison_3.jpg

Comparison_4.jpg

Comparison_5.jpg

The OnePlus 7 Pro comes with a vertically stacked triple camera setup on the back. Up top, we have the 16 MP wide-angle lens, followed by the 48 MP main camera in the center and an 8 MP Telephoto lens below it that offers 3x* zoom capability (We have enough threads on the * part, so I will not delve into it further:p). The camera bump is decent enough to wobble the phone when one tries to use the phone on a flat surface, so installing a case is preferred if that's a frequent use-case. The camera flash is located just below the camera grid and sits under the back glass panel. There's no information on what kind of protection the glass on the cameras comes with, but it should be capable of handling day to day usage without attracting scratches.

Camera_1.jpg

Camera_2.jpg

Camera_3.jpg

There's a stamp of "48 MP" text right above the main camera lens which kind of ruins the otherwise clean look of the camera setup, but turns out this was only for the earliest batch of devices as per the information from OnePlus representatives and is not present on the actual models released in the market, which is heartening to hear.

The front of the device is something OnePlus has never done before. A massive 6.67 inch AMOLED QHD+ display with very minimal bezels takes up the entirety of the front. The chin on the device is marginally bigger compared to the bezels on the other three sides, but it's barely noticeable. The earpiece grill is also barely visible up top, as it's just on the edge and almost looks one with the display bezel. The display has a 93% screen to body ratio and curves at the edge on either side that is very reminiscent of the Samsung edge series devices. The sides on the back panel also have curved edges that would make the phone slightly easier to hold, but there's no denying that the phone is slippery. A case is always recommended and OnePlus has made some pretty good ones available.

Front_1.jpg

Earpiece_1.jpg

All that impressive screen to body ratio and all screen display means left no room for the selfie camera on the front. Hence, OnePlus has opted to go with a pop-up selfie camera for the OnePlus 7 Pro, that moves up and down when required with the help of a motor. OnePlus has put the camera slightly off center, towards the left of the device. As a personal preference for symmetry, I would have preferred it at the center, but hey, that's just me.

Popup_3.jpg

Popup_1.jpg

[​IMG]

Moving parts in a phone mean possible wear and tear over time, with chances of dust accumulation in the slot. However, OnePlus claims that the pop-up mechanism has been tested for 300,000 times and assures that it's strong enough (They even made a stress test video of the pop-up mechanism, which is available on their YouTube channel). There's almost no gap between the pop-up camera and the slot housing it, that should stop most dust particles from entering. Overall, the setup looks pretty sturdy. If that's not enough, OnePlus has built in some nifty software features to safeguard the pop-up mechanism from wearing out such as
    1. Fall detection, where the camera retracts itself when it senses that the phone is in free fall using the gyroscope data.
    2. Alerting the user whenever there is frequent usage of the pop-up mechanism.
    3. Alerting the user when the pop-up camera is being forcibly pushed into its slot.
    OnePlus' attention to user experience in this matter is very commendable. Besides the pop-up camera, the top side of the device also houses the secondary noise cancellation microphone.

Also available underneath the display are the ambient light sensor and the optical fingerprint sensor. OnePlus introduced in-display fingerprint sensors in its lineup with the OnePlus 6T. However, it was quite slow compared to their blazing fast capacitive sensors on earlier models and insane-but-not-so-secure face unlock. However, the in-display fingerprint sensor on the OnePlus 7 Pro is much improved and faster, with very few failures. There's also is face unlock available, but that would mean the pop-up camera would have to raise itself to read the face and unlock the device. Despite taking just under a second, this method is still slow when compared to using the in-display sensor and hence, I almost never used it.

Moving to the right side of the device, we have the signature OnePlus alert slider, that helps switch sound profiles between Ring, Vibrate and Silent. The slider also has a ridged texture to it which helps in distinguishing it from the Power button that is located just below it. OnePlus has done a good job with the placement of the power button, which otherwise is very easy to go wrong with a device this big.

Right_1.jpg

The bottom right side of the device holds the main speaker grill, while the Type-C charging port is located in the center and flanked by microphones on either side. OnePlus uses the earpiece as the left speaker to deliver a stereo sound effect. The bottom left side is the "no headphone jack" city and contains the dual nano SIM card slot.

Bottom_1.jpg

While we often see dual SIM slots sitting next to each other on the tray, OnePlus has implemented this in a clever way where the SIMs sit back to back, thereby minimizing the space taken up by the slot. Initially, one might feel that it will be tough to get both the SIMs in place simultaneously due to this implementation, but the SIMs fit just fine. There's also a red rubber ribbon on the SIM tray, perhaps to prevent water from entering the slots. While the OnePlus 7 Pro doesn't have any certified IP rating (apparently to save cost), there seems to be enough protection within the device to prevent accidental water damage (check out Dave2D's video if you haven't already).

SIMTray_1.jpg

Finally, the left side of the device has the typical volume rockers, which are metallic, just like the Power button and alert slider. All the buttons are clicky and tactile, while still providing blending in with the rich and premium look of the device.

Left_1.jpg

All in all, the OnePlus 7 Pro has a pretty solid build, while still retaining the premium design and feel of a modern day flagship device.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

3. santoshsavanur The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 3, 2019

Stickied Post
    santoshsavanur, Jun 3, 2019 :
    Chapter 3: Display

Anybody who has followed OnePlus for the last couple of years might've noticed that OnePlus while choosing AMOLED panels for the displays on their smartphones, has also been reluctant in using a panel with a resolution higher than 1080p. They were partly right in doing so since,
    a. The average user will not be able to make out the difference at the typical viewing distance of 7-10 inches (unless you put the two panels side by side).
    b. More pixels in the display implies more power consumption and battery life takes a hit.
    c. It helped them in keeping the cost of the device down.

However, the average smartphone display size has comfortably crossed the 6-inch mark in the last few months and hence, many smartphone manufacturers have embraced the trend of bumping up the resolution of the display panels beyond 1080p. With this increasingly becoming a prominent feature of flagship devices, OnePlus has realized that it's time for them to jump in as well. With the OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus brings a massive 6.67-inch AMOLED display with a QHD+ resolution (3120x1440) in a 19.5:9 aspect ratio. If you do the math, that's around 516 pixels per inch. To be accurate, the flat rectangular portion of the display covers 6.46 inches, while the rest is taken up by the curved edges on either side. Thanks to the pop-up camera, there's no notch or punch-hole to ruin the all-screen front.

Display_4.jpg

If packing so many pixels into the display wasn't enough, OnePlus has also done something that was not expected by many. The display on the OnePlus 7 Pro also has a 90 Hz refresh rate, making it one of the few smartphones in the market that has an AMOLED panel with refresh rate>60 Hz (Razer Phone had a 120 Hz refresh rate, but that was an IPS LCD Panel).

The OnePlus 7 Pro's QHD+ display is certified for HDR10+ (Netflix has recently added it to the list of supported devices), thus making binge watching our favorite shows a rich and vivid viewing experience.

Display_6.jpg

With the OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus also brings Night Mode 2.0, a feature that is effective in filtering out harmful blue light to enable a comfortable viewing experience even with prolonged usage. OnePlus claims that it has also brought down the lowest brightness level of the display to just 0.27 nits, but we'll just have to wait and see if someone comes out with an actual lab test to verify it.
    With so many features packed into the display, its no wonder that the OnePlus 7 Pro has received an A+ Top Tier Display Rating from DisplayMate and also, the ‘Safety for Eyes’ certification from VDE Testing and Certification Institute.

Okay, all the technical details aside, how does this translate into real life usage? Let me elaborate. ;)

An AMOLED panel means deep blacks with punchy colors and the OnePlus 7 Pro is no different. Watching YouTube content is a joyous affair, while HDR videos look absolutely gorgeous. Colors are plenty accurate, details are very sharp and crisp. If the default settings aren't your thing, then OnePlus has included multiple profiles of color gamut and manual tweaks to calibrate the screen to one's liking. OnePlus also includes a video enhancer option, that enhances the colors when playing videos.

Screen_Calibration.jpg

Video_Enhancer.jpg

One of the common queries that come with curved edges on a display is, is there any color shift? I'll answer this, but this is completely subjective. As a personal preference, I feel curved edges do not really enhance the viewing experience, albeit contributing to the overall aesthetics of the display. I would've liked if the screen was fully flat mainly due to the below reasons.
    a. In the app ecosystem, not many apps are built with software features to utilize the edges.
    b. There wouldn't be any concern of color shift.
    c. The media viewing experience would've been very slightly better, as the very small portion of the image/video that's on the curved edges would be at the same viewing angle to the user as the rest of the display, especially in landscape mode.
    As I said, this is just my perspective. And having said this, I still feel OnePlus has done a phenomenal job with this display. It takes just a couple of days to get used to the curved edges, and once you've done that, it just melts away into the background while we are engrossed in a rich viewing experience. In terms of the resolution, one can choose between QHD+, FHD+, and Auto-switch (the OS switches intelligently between resolutions). The main reason behind this option is to get that extra juice out of the battery when operating at lower resolutions. I always kept the display resolution at QHD+, the reason to which you can find at the end of this chapter.

Resolution_Options.jpg

The display can get adequately bright in outdoor conditions. I've always left the auto-brightness option turned on, and it's quite accurate in calibrating the brightness based on ambient light. The only gripe I have is that even when the Night Mode is turned on, it's not active on lock-screen. Hence, once the device is unlocked, it takes a good 2-3 seconds for the Night Mode to kick in. This can be annoying when you're in complete darkness. I am guessing this has something to do with aiding the fingerprint sensor (I noticed this happening when I try to open my work e-mail app that uses my fingerprint). Hopefully, this can be fixed with an update in the future.

Night_Mode.jpg

OnePlus has also included a "Reading Mode", that optimizes the display of screen and text, making the reading experience akin to that of an e-book reader. Below is a rough comparison of how the screen looks like in normal v/s reading mode.

NormalvsReading.png

[Normal Mode v/s Reading Mode]

Now, it's difficult to explain in a video what this translates into when using the phone, but let me tell you this. You will never want to go back to a 60 Hz display. :D Everything on the screen feels extra smooth, be it the animations baked into the software, scrolling through the UI in general or browsing through webpages and social media. Everything is just smooth and responsive (which is why OnePlus calls it "Fluid AMOLED" display), and when coupled with the QHD+ resolution, the viewing experience is just top notch. OnePlus has also provided the option to dial down the refresh rate to the normal 60 Hz, but I don't think I'll be using it anytime soon.:p

There have been reports of ghost touch issues being faced by some users, but so far I have not experienced any such thing, at least in my day to day usage. However, there's one other issue that I kept running into, which I have already highlighted to the OnePlus team. When in an active call, pulling down the notification bar to reveal notifications always takes 3-4 tries. Somehow, initial attempts just get rejected, I'm not sure why. This issue isn't localized to any certain side of the notification bar on the screen. I hope this will be looked into as well.

The OnePlus 7 Pro lacks a notification LED, which might disappoint some. To counter this to some extent OnePlus uses its AMOLED display to light up the edges (only once) whenever there is an incoming notification. While this is a decent implementation, I would've preferred some configuration options to control this.

[​IMG]

Now coming back to the resolution and refresh rate, a lot of people would want to know how much battery life could be saved by bringing down the resolution to FHD+ and the refresh rate to 60 Hz. Let me answer this in a different way. With my current usage (consider it moderate), with the settings at QHD+/90 Hz, I get a SOT of 5.5-6 hours on an average. This is more than sufficient for me, which is why I never bothered to experiment with lower settings. I am guessing that the increase in battery life would be around 10-15%, but I believe losing out on the fluid experience for the extra endurance is not that great a trade-off. Hence, I prefer to use the device at max settings, and probably turn on the battery saver when in dire need of preserving battery.

To summarize, OnePlus has pretty much scored a home-run with the OnePlus 7 Pro's display and coupled with their nifty software features, OnePlus has provided the OnePlus 7 Pro, a display worthy of its flagship stature.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

4. santoshsavanur The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 5, 2019

Stickied Post
    santoshsavanur, Jun 5, 2019 :
    Chapter 4: Software/Performance/Battery life/Miscellaneous

Software:
    The OnePlus 7 Pro came with Oxygen OS 9.5.1 out of the box, built on Android 9.0 Pie. Oxygen OS is well known in the Android community as being one of the ROMs that's closest to vanilla Android, with a few useful customization options. There's very minimum bloatware (mine came with Netflix pre-installed, which I'd have installed anyway). A few of the preinstalled apps include the OnePlus Switch app (to help you quickly migrate data from your old device), the OnePlus gallery with a built-in editor and a handy File Manager alongside the usual utilities such as calculator, weather app, etc.

OnePlus_switch.jpg

OnePlus_Gallery.jpg

OnePlus_FileManager.jpg

There's the usual array of customizations available such as changing the accent color, setting a dark theme system-wide and a multitude of off-screen gestures that can be configured to one's liking.

Accent_Colors_1.jpg

Accent_Colors_2.jpg

Gesture_1.jpg

Gesture_2.jpg

On the home screen, swiping right reveals the OnePlus shelf, which now hosts a couple of interesting widgets. The "Cricket scores" widget lets you track live cricket scores, feeding you information from ESPNcricinfo.

Shelf_1.jpg

CricketScores_1.jpg

The other feature is "Parking location", that lets you mark the location where you parked your car on the map, while also tracking the duration of parking. Further, it lets you navigate (via Google Maps) from your current location to the location of the parking.

Parking_1.jpg

Parking_2.jpg

Oxygen OS now also has an inbuilt screen recorder, a shortcut to which sits conveniently in the pull-down quick settings tray. The recorder also has some neat options such as choosing the resolution and bit rate of the video, choosing the audio source (if live commentary of screen recording is your thing) among others.

Recorder_1.jpg

Recorder_2.jpg

There's also this a short animation on some of the quick settings options when you activate/deactivate them. Quite nice and subtle.

[​IMG]

OnePlus has also introduced Zen mode, a feature that is meant to encourage users to distance themselves from their devices for a fixed time while focusing on other real-life things and promote social interactions in the physical world (sort of a digital detoxing should we say?). When enabled, for 20 minutes, one can only receive calls, make emergency calls and take photos, while the rest of the phone's apps and features will be unavailable (notifications muted). I tried this feature once and while it may be difficult to adapt at first, it can turn out to be vital in achieving a well-balanced usage pattern.

Zen_1.jpg

Zen_2.jpg

Zen_3.jpg

OnePlus has improved its gaming mode feature to enhance the graphics of light and dark colors of the game being displayed and also to provide better haptic feedback. Speaking of haptic feedback, OnePlus has also included a new X-axis haptic vibration motor in the OnePlus 7 Pro to aid in enhancing the gaming experience.

Gaming_Mode.jpg

There's also a new Fnatic mode included, which further focuses the system resources solely towards game-play and adds advanced DND by blocking all notifications and calls. OnePlus has also added a 10-layer liquid cooling system that comes into play to keep the thermals in check when gaming for an extended period of time.

Fnatic_Mode.jpg

OnePlus has had a good track record of pushing software updates for their devices in the past (barring the OnePlus 2). The OnePlus 3/3T just got the Android Pie update (devices almost 2.5 to 3 years old) which is praiseworthy. I hope OnePlus continues this practice in the future as well. Since they are announcing multiple devices in a release cycle (the OnePlus 7 launched alongside the OnePlus 7 Pro), it will get challenging for them to have resources dedicated to supporting multiple newly announced devices, along with the ones aging. So far, they've already released 2 OTAs that are predominantly camera specific, bumping the software to Oxygen OS 9.5.5.

Performance:
    Starting from the OnePlus One, the core focus of OnePlus has been to include top-of-the-line specs in each of their devices that deliver unparalleled performance. This has been one area that they've never compromised or cut corners in the past. The OnePlus 7 Pro, being their flagship device as of today, is no exception. It's rocking Qualcomm's latest Snapdragon 855 platform, which is a 7nm chipset with 64-bit architecture and delivers marked improvements in performance and power efficiency over its predecessor (Snapdragon 845). It packs an octa-core Kryo CPU, that includes one 2.84GHz core for CPU intensive tasks, three 2.42GHz cores for handling rest of the workload and four power-efficient cores clocked at 1.8GHz. It also sports the Adreno 640 GPU, to handle all the graphics heavy lifting. The OnePlus 7 Pro also comes with multiple RAM (LPDDR4X)-Memory configurations, namely 6GB-128GB, 8GB-256GB and the top-end variant packing an insane 12GB RAM with 256GB of internal memory. The one I have is the 8GB RAM-256GB ROM model.
    OnePlus has also upgraded the storage system to 2-lane UFS 3.0, that ensures faster read and write speeds to internal memory, which earlier was UFS 2.1 for the OnePlus 6T.

So how do these specifications on paper translate into performance?

For the benchmark enthusiasts, the OnePlus 7 Pro fetches a single-core score of around 3400 and a multi-core score of 11100 on Geekbench (4.3.2). On Antutu (7.2.2), the OnePlus 7 Pro scores around 360000, putting it up there with the rest of the 2019 flagship devices.

Geekbench.jpg

Antutu_1.jpg

Antutu_2.jpg

In terms of graphics performance, the OnePlus 7 Pro also does equally good in 3D Mark.

3D_1.jpg

3D_2.jpg

3D_3.jpg

Synthetic benchmarks only appeal to the number savvy to catch their attention. Hence, it's just half the story. One can only make sense out of these numbers when they actually pick up the device and start using it. So, here's my experience with the device, based on my day to day usage.

1. "Buttery smooth" would be an understatement. Everything on this device just flies.
    2. The animations, the UI, scrolling through the menus and browsing through your favorite social media sites and web-pages, switching between recent apps, everything is just insanely fast. The 90 Hz refresh rate just makes this effect even more pronounced.
    3. The 8 GB of RAM is adequate in retaining a good number of apps in memory and I have not experienced any ANRs or app crashes till date.
    4. I have disabled the navigation bar and opted for the gestures for the first time ever, just to make full use of the all screen front and I have to say that I have gotten used to it rather quickly. Registering a gesture almost always works, with a rare miss possibly attributing to not starting the gesture from the bottom of the screen.
    5. I don't really game much, but just to test out the performance I played Asphalt 9 for a good 20-25 minutes (in Performance mode) and the phone handled everything without breaking a sweat. There were no dropped frames, and the device did not heat up in any way during this time. I am sure Fortnite, PUBG aficionados will have a great time gaming on this device.
    6. The vibration motor feedback on this device is strong and I never missed any calls when outdoors.
    7. The dual stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos are also good, though there is a difference in the maximum output from each of them, mainly because of the fact that the earpiece doubles as the left speaker in the stereo setup. In a typical landscape mode usage, the earpiece is what fires sound directly at you, while the bottom firing speaker is where the intensity of sound is higher. Having said that, media consumption and binge-watching YouTube and Netflix is a pleasant experience. The speakers can get pretty loud and still retain clarity, without sounding tinny.

Battery Life:
    With so many things packed under the hood and with an impressive QHD+ 90Hz display, one might expect the battery life on the OnePlus 7 Pro to be average at best. Battery life is heavily dependent on usage patterns and usage patterns are very subjective owing to user's app selection, system settings, and UI preferences. Hence, the battery life can be one of the aspects where it's difficult to find a consensus.
    To start with, OnePlus has provided a 4000mAh non-removable battery with the OnePlus 7 Pro, a step up from the 3700 mAh on the OnePlus 6T. My usage pattern can be termed as moderate, that typically includes (Display at QHD+ resolution with 90 Hz refresh rate and with auto-brightness on)
    1. Single SIM on 4G data for 10-12 hours a day.
    2. Continuous sync of multiple personal e-mail accounts, work profile, and social media handles.
    3. Browsing of social media and webpages on and off throughout the day.
    4. YouTube/Netflix/Hotstar/Amazon Prime video for 1.5-2 hours.
    5. Voice calls for an hour or so.
    6. Mild GPS usage (around 10-15 mins).
    7. Camera usage depending on the situation, ranging from clicking a few (<20) to lots (around 80-90) of pictures.

With such a usage pattern, I usually got around 6 hours of screen-on time on an average, the worst being 4.25 hours on one of those days where I made around 2.5 hours of voice calls and had an app hogging battery in the background. On one of the lighter usage days, I managed to hit 7 hours of SOT. I would usually end the day at around 12-15% of battery still left.

B11.jpg

B12.jpg

B21.jpg

B22.jpg

B31.jpg

B32.jpg

Charging the phone is super-quick, thanks to the 30W WARP (rebranded Dash) 5V/6A charging adapter included in the box. When plugged in, the charging stats were as below (the device was actively being used when charging).

5 mins ~ 14%
    10 mins ~ 25%
    15 mins ~ 34%
    20 mins ~ 41%
    25 mins ~ 48%
    30 mins ~ 56%
    35 mins ~ 63%
    40 mins ~ 70%
    45 mins ~ 77%
    50 mins ~ 83%
    77 mins ~ 100%

So it takes around < 80 mins on an average to take the battery from 0-100%, which is quite exceptional, given the fact that the battery is 4000 mAh. Another important aspect to note is that the device never heated up during the period of charging, even though it was continuously under use.
    Some people might complain about the lack of wireless charging capabilities. Even though on paper it's a missed feature, I haven't really felt the need for it. All it takes is a half an hour top-up with the WARP charger and we're good to go.

To wrap up this chapter, all I can say is that OnePlus has done a terrific job of tuning Oxygen OS and its features for speed and performance, that utilizes the underlying killer hardware to make the OnePlus 7 Pro a true performance beast that lasts an entire day of usage.

5. santoshsavanur The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 8, 2019

Stickied Post
    santoshsavanur, Jun 8, 2019 :

Chapter 5: Camera

Ah, the camera. Where do I begin? Camera performance is such a polarizing topic these days. While some people just form an opinion guided by tech YouTubers' reviews (without even having touched the device in person), some even go to the extent of dissing and trashing the phone based on such opinions. Camera performance is a prime topic of discussion for every new smartphone that gets released in the market, even more so when it comes to flagship devices. Google, with its computational photography and image processing, has pretty much been a gold standard for smartphone photography through its Pixel lineup. Huawei and Samsung have also caught up recently, with the P30 Pro and the S10 series. All this serious competition has set the expectations really high not just for the OnePlus 7 Pro, but also for every other flagship phone landing in the market.

The OnePlus 7 Pro scored an impressive 111 in the DxOMark smartphone camera review (https://www.dxomark.com/oneplus-7-pro-camera-review/), putting it in the upper echelon of potent smartphone cameras.

From a pure hardware perspective, the OnePlus 7 Pro is packed to the hilt. It has a vertically stacked triple camera setup on the back, covering a good range of focal lengths.
    Up top, there is a 16 MP ultra wide-angle lens, with a 117 degree Field of View and an f/2.2 aperture.
    At the center of the setup is the main lens which features the 48 MP Sony IMX586 flagship sensor, with f/1.6 aperture and 1.6-micron pixel size. The main lens comes with both OIS and EIS. Finally, we have the 8 MP Telephoto lens at the bottom, with an f/2.4 aperture and 1-micron pixel size that offers 3x zoom capabilities and OIS. To aid in low light conditions, there is a dual-led flash below the camera stack. For focusing, OnePlus uses a hybrid mechanism of PDAF, LAF, and CAF.
    For the pop-up selfie camera, OnePlus has included the 16 MP Sony IMX471 sensor with f/2.0 aperture and 1-micron pixel size with fixed focus and EIS.

Camera_1.jpg

The Camera UI in itself is pretty simplistic, with various options laid out on the top, while switching between modes can be achieved by swiping left or right within the UI. There's an option to switch between wide-angle lens, main lens and telephoto lens within the viewfinder area.

CameraUI_1.jpg

On the software front, OnePlus provides a slew of features that include Portrait Mode, UltraShot, Nightscape, Panorama, HDR, a Pro Mode that lets you save images in RAW, AI Scene detection and studio lighting (baked into the processing but not exposed as individual options in the camera), face retouching (beautify) and screen flash for the front camera.

CameraUI_2.jpg

CameraUI_3.jpg

But just like synthetic benchmarks, the potential of the camera hardware can be fully harnessed only when there is an equally good image processing software capability. Has OnePlus been able to get the best of these cameras? See for yourself.

PLEASE NOTE: At the time of publishing this camera chapter, OnePlus released Oxygen OS 9.5.7, a new camera-centric OTA that is supposed to improve multiple facets of the camera performance. All the samples posted below were taken BEFORE this update dropped. Hence, there will be a follow-up post in due course to showcase how the camera performs post the OTA.

All images have been downsized/cropped for upload size restrictions. Original and untouched images can be found at the below Google Drive link.
    (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1218IL3puRFfcCgLlWpY9R4tCWVCh6xzt)

48 MP MAIN LENS Samples [Auto Mode, HDR Auto]:

The 48 MP main lens takes some very impressive shots in good to decent lighting conditions with almost no shutter lag. HDR was left on Auto mode and the dynamic range achieved in the images is very good. The colors are accurate, and the images have plenty of detail. By default, the 48 MP sensor output is translated into a 12 MP image by combining 4 adjacent pixels into one (kind of pixel binning). We need not switch to Pro mode to take macro shots as the bokeh in default photo mode itself is quite impressive. The main lens also performs adequately well in indoor lighting. Exposure still seems to be a little bit on the higher side in daylight conditions, but this oddity is also not consistent.

The OnePlus 7 Pro also comes with Nightscape 2.0, that is expected to be a step-up from the previous version of the feature. It does a decent job of bringing out details from darker and shadowy areas of the image, albeit by oversharpening the image to a good extent. Also, on zooming in, we can see the loss of detail, clarity and parts of the image looking a bit washed out and smudgy.

Main_Auto_1.jpg

Main_Auto_21.jpg

Main_Auto_3.jpg

Main_Auto_51.jpg

Auto_11.jpg

Auto_10.jpg

Main_Auto_6.jpg

NIGHTSCAPE:

Nightscape_1.jpg

Nightscape_4.jpg

Nightscape_2.jpg

Nightscape_3.jpg

16 MP WIDE ANGLE LENS:

The 16 MP wide-angle lens has a 117 degree Field of View and can take decent quality images. While this definitely comes in handy in fitting more into the frame, the accuracy of the colors on this one is off. This is evident when you see the comparison between images of the same subject taken through the main lens and the wide-angle lens (further below). There is a loss of detail at the end on both sides, and turning off wide-angle correction in the settings also didn't do much good.

Wide_1.jpg

Wide_2.jpg

TELEPHOTO LENS [3x ZOOM]:

The Telephoto lens in 3x zoom mode does a commendable job of retaining details of the subject, with OIS being the savior if you have shaky hands like me. The sensor is a 12 MP one, with the resultant output being cropped to form an 8 MP image. The auto-focus, however, is quite notorious on this one and many a time, the camera switched to the main lens for no apparent reason. And just like the wide-angle lens, color accuracy on the telephoto lens also is off (check the comparison further below).

Telephoto_1.jpg

Telephoto_3.jpg

Telephoto_2.jpg

TELEPHOTO LENS [Portrait Mode]:

The camera switches to the telephoto lens for taking portrait shots and I have to say, it is pretty spot on. The background blur achieved looks realistic and the edge detection on the subject is accurate and sharp. There are a few rare misses, particularly the hair which is the tricky part for almost all smartphone cameras, but there's nothing to complain about.

Portrait_31.jpg

Portrait_1.jpg

Portrait_2.jpg

COMPARISON [Wide-angle lens v/s Main lens v/s 3x zoom]:

Comp_21.jpg

Comp_22.jpg

Comp_23.jpg

Comp_11.jpg

Comp_121.jpg

Comp_131.jpg

SELFIES:

I am not a selfie guy, to be honest, but here are some group selfies that were taken using the pop-up selfie camera. The 16 MP images have decent clarity and colors, but over-exposed at times. Also, there were instances where on zooming in, I could notice a few green spots on some of the subjects. The selfie portrait mode is also good when it comes to isolating the subject, but edge detection is not as great as it is on the telephoto lens.

Selfie_1.jpg

Selfie_2.jpg

Selfie_3.jpg

When it comes to video, the main lens on the OnePlus 7 Pro can capture videos up to 4k 60 FPS, along with slow-motion videos in 1080p/240 FPS or 720p/480 FPS. The 4k video captured is very impressive, with accurate colors and good dynamic range. The OIS+EIS also comes in handy for someone with shaky hands like me. The telephoto lens is also capable of shooting video at 4k/30 FPS, 4k/60 FPS, 1080p/30 FPS, 1080p/60 FPS. However, it doesn't match up to the quality of the output provided by the main lens.
    The 1080p/240 FPS slow motion video is also quite good, albeit with a bit of oversharpening that is noticeable in the videos.
    One disappointing thing is that the wide-angle lens is not enabled for capturing video.

Below are some of the video samples that I took.

1080p 240 FPS VIDEO SAMPLE [Slow-mo]:

4k 30 FPS VIDEO SAMPLE [shot in daylight]:

4k 30 FPS VIDEO SAMPLE [shot at night]:

So all said and done, is the OnePlus 7 Pro's camera trash? Absolutely not. Is it better than the Pixels and the P30 Pros? Not fully true either. The OnePlus 7 Pro has a lot going for it in the camera department. The main lens is impressive in multiple areas with great color accuracy and dynamic range, and the portraits on the telephoto are damn good. The 4k video quality is also commendable while Nightscape 2.0 is definitely a step in the right direction. Most of the shortcomings/issues that have been noticed in the camera performance are software related and can be fixed. OnePlus has released two software updates already since the OnePlus 7 Pro's release, and they're for sure burning the midnight oil to sort out the few niggles that are present in the camera department.

mr_priyanshu likes this.
  6. santoshsavanur The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 8, 2019

Stickied Post
    santoshsavanur, Jun 8, 2019 :
    Chapter 6: Conclusion:

Coming to the quintessential question. Should you buy the OnePlus 7 Pro? Or rather, why should anybody buy the OnePlus 7 Pro? The answer is as always, not black or white. :)

OnePlus has been slowly raising the prices of its devices every year, just like other flagship phones from Samsung and Apple have crept towards the 1000$ price point. OnePlus devices have always donned the role of a flagship killer by providing the same killer specifications that a 1000$ competitor phone provides at almost half the price. However, this year the OnePlus 7 Pro has clearly taken away that advantage from OnePlus. Starting at 48,999/- INR (650$) for the 6GB/128GB version, the OnePlus 7 Pro is no more in the budget category. Having said that, such a price for the OnePlus 7 Pro fetches you a phone that has a gorgeous and high-resolution display, solid build with a beautiful design, blazing fast performance, ample storage, full day battery, software with a clean near stock Android experience, insanely quick charging and a good camera that can be further improved with updates. So if this feature list matches your wishlist of expectations from your daily-driver device, then the OnePlus 7 Pro is certainly the device to go for. There are a few omissions such as lack of wireless charging, no headphone jack, and an IP rating, but they certainly are not dealbreakers in any sense.

At the launch event, OnePlus also announced the OnePlus 7, which is a refresh to the OnePlus 6T and packs upgrades such as
    a. New rear camera main lens (now 48 MP sensor, same as the OnePlus 7 Pro)
    b. Snapdragon 855 platform, with Adreno 640 GPU (again, same as the OnePlus 7 Pro)
    c. Snappier in-display fingerprint sensor, Stereo speakers and UFS 3.0
    The biggest surprise, however, came with the pricing. OnePlus pulled a rabbit out of the hat by pricing the OnePlus 7 at 32,999/- INR, which is a good 5k cheaper than the launch price of the OnePlus 6T. This would've seriously upset some recent buyers of the OnePlus 6T, but it also carves out a place for the OnePlus 7 to co-exist along with its Pro sibling.
    So if you're on a tighter budget, and can do without a wide-angle lens on the rear camera setup, the OnePlus 7 is the best value-for-money top performing Android device that you can get at the moment.

mr_priyanshu and meatandy like this.
  7. Mr West The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

superplus, buntycubal and johneebee like this.
  8. santoshsavanur The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

buntycubal likes this.
  9. Loveit Jelly Bean May 21, 2019

Loveit, May 21, 2019 :
    OMG I just noticed that awful 48MP Tramp Stamp on the back of the phone. Some things are classier when not shouted from the rooftops.

Reminds me of a case my friend had for his phone which proudly had "Auto Focus" stamped on the back.

buntycubal and G_plusone like this.
  10. DARTH 007 KitKat May 21, 2019

DARTH 007, May 21, 2019 :
    yes super clean,well taken and lovely background.
    I think dslr pics

buntycubal likes this.
  11. B_Wrath Lollipop May 21, 2019

B_Wrath, May 21, 2019 :
    If I'm right, the stamp is removed in the production version of the phone.

buntycubal, optical and Shivang Joshi like this.
  12. Loveit Jelly Bean May 21, 2019

Loveit, May 21, 2019 :
    Ah good. Thankfully someone with good taste must have stepped in.

buntycubal and B_Wrath like this.
  13. santoshsavanur The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

santoshsavanur, May 21, 2019 :

These pics were taken from a OnePlus 6 and a Samsung S7. I don't have a DSLR. ;)

Last edited: May 21, 2019

superplus, buntycubal and Venky61 like this.
  14. GopalB. Marshmallow May 21, 2019

GopalB., May 21, 2019 :
    Yup... But unfortunately all the reviewers got the same phone... [​IMG]

buntycubal, Shivang Joshi and B_Wrath like this.
  15. GopalB. Marshmallow May 21, 2019

GopalB., May 21, 2019 :
    Start calling yourself "Professional Phone Photographer" as well... [​IMG]
    P cube...

buntycubal and Shivang Joshi like this.
  16. B_Wrath Lollipop May 21, 2019

B_Wrath, May 21, 2019 :
    God, no! We don't want another professional phone photographer with a pathetic review.

This review has started off good. Let it be the same way.

17. Budruel Jelly Bean May 21, 2019

Budruel, May 21, 2019 :
    I loved your photos, choosing that background with the possibility of sneaking through the woods has given him a horror movie sensation, I was curious to keep watching. Great job.

buntycubal and santoshsavanur like this.
  18. GopalB. Marshmallow May 21, 2019

GopalB., May 21, 2019 :
    Santosh Savanur clearly is more deserving for that self proclaimed title... [​IMG]

santoshsavanur and B_Wrath like this.
  19. santoshsavanur The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

Yes, devices from an earlier batch had the stamp. Latest ones don't.

20. santoshsavanur The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

Ha! No sir. I'm no P cube. Just a P. Oh wait, that doesn't sound right.

B_Wrath likes this.
  21. santoshsavanur The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

Thank you!

22. santoshsavanur The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

Hah! Thank you sir. P is good enough. :D

GopalB. likes this.
  23. K1533064845594 Cupcake May 21, 2019

24. G_plusone Lollipop May 21, 2019

G_plusone, May 21, 2019 :
    Nice pics ;)
    It really brings out the Blue.

You chose the S7 over op3 for the Camera :p?
    Slower than the 3T :p

Well begun by the way

25. santoshsavanur The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

Thanks. ;)

I had moved to the Pixel XL from the OnePlus 3. Since the Pixel XL died, I had to fall back to the S7 which was my secondary device then.

On charging speeds compared to the 3T, bear in mind that the battery here is 4000 mAh whereas it was 3400 mAh on the 3T. So can't really call it slower. :)

G_plusone likes this.