The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Review - By TechnoMinute

1. TechnoMinute
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

TechnoMinute , May 20, 2019 :
    upload_2019-5-20_8-11-58.png

First Impressions:

I bought the OnePlus one as my first android phone back in 2015 and I can still remember that feeling of awe. Well, again almost 5 years later the OnePlus 7 Pro has brought back that feeling of enthusiasm.

Today I’m going to be talking about my first impressions of with the OnePlus 7 Pro.

Alright, now while the OnePlus 7 Pro’s unboxing isn’t as extravagant as the OnePlus One’s was, however, it was still very clean. Inside the box, we get the documentation, then a clear TPU case, the phone itself, the warp charging block and a USB C cable for power.

Now the first thing I noticed about the phone was that beautiful shimmery back. The OnePlus 7 pro does come in multiple colors, but in my opinion, the Nebula Blue is the best one. It has a somewhat iridescence to the overall feel, and a nice soft touch glass back. This honestly, has to be one of the best looking phones I have used to date.

Moving on from here the next thing I noticed was that beautiful QHD 90-hertz display. I have never seen a device with animations so smooth. Now I don’t know how this will affect battery life in the Long run, but to be honest I might not mind charging multiple Times to keep this amazing display. Another great thing about the massive 6.6-inch display is how close to the edge the screen falls off. It literally wraps around the edge of the display, and because of that motorized camera there is no need for a notch or a hole punch, it truly is edge to edge.

Gaming on this large 19:5:9 aspect ratio really is enjoyable, double with the high refresh rate everything seems seamless and incredibly smooth. Now I haven’t had too much time to test the long term performance and battery life of the phone while gaming, but I played asphalt 9 for at least 15 minutes and I experienced a one percent drain. If this any indication of the battery life, then it’s a good one.

Now lastly I want to talk about the camera, not the performance but the motorized selfie camera. OnePlus isn’t the first one to make a motorized camera, the OPPO F11 also had a similar one, however, this is the first one I’ve used and I’m impressed. Again the theme of this video is durability in the long term, but for now, the camera is quiet and works seamlessly. I probably turned it off and on at least 20 times when I first used it.

So thoughts. Well at first glance the OnePlus 7 pro, is clean, polished and very impressive. The beautiful AMOLED display coupled with the incredibly fast processor and seemingly decent battery life makes this a very well balanced phone. Now again I haven’t used it for that long, and a full review will be coming in the next few weeks, but as of right now I’m impressed. OnePlus you’ve done a killer job.

Updated Impressions(5/29):

So I've been using the OnePlus 7 Pro for a little more than a week and a half now, and I can gladly say that most of my initial impressions are holding up to be true. And while a full review is coming soon, I still wanted to update y'all on what's good and what need's work.

Display:

Starting off my favorite thing about the OP7 is still the display. I cannot believe how amazingly fluid everything feels, coupled with the OLED screen, this phone is just a joy to use. In fact, I pick it up even when I don't need to. It's just incredibly smooth, and using any other device feels simple, compared to this.

Battery:

Now on average I have been getting about 5hrs of on screen time, and at first this seemed a little small, but as each update has been going out, battery life seems to be getting better. While this may seem not so great, the charging speed is out of this world. Seriously, I was able to charge to 100% in just under an hour. And getting up to 50% took about 20 Min. I'm seriously impressed, which is why battery life isn't much of an issue.

Camera:

This is definitely the area that needs the most work, and while OnePlus has been doing a great job of pushing out updates for the camera, it still lacks in some areas. Firstly, portrait mode seems hit or miss, often taking a while to grab the object. When it does grab, edges are pretty accurate, however it feels like the photo was taken with an aperture of f/4 as the background is blurred but there isn't a lot of Bokeh. I really hope this is something that is fixed in a future update. From there the wide angle camera is really cool, however it lacks sharpness and dynamic range. It's not terrible by any standards, but it could be better. The telephoto lens is actually probably the most impressive. Photos are detailed, and the natural depth of field produced, is really pleasing to the eye. I haven't tested the video in depth too much, but my first impressions are good, I just wish we had video for the wide angle camera.

Conclusion:

So like I said, the full review is coming soon, stay tuned for that. However, in the time being the OP7 Pro is an incredible phone. If OnePlus can fix the battery and camera issues, I will definitely be switching to this phone as my main, from the iPhone 8 Plus. This is coming from someone who has mainly used Apple devices for the last few years.

Last edited: May 30, 2019

2. TechnoMinute
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 3, 2019

Stickied Post
    TechnoMinute , Jun 3, 2019 :
    Updated Review:

Yo, what is up guys, it's Luke again, and here is my review of the OnePlus 7 Pro!

The OnePlus 7 Pro has been generating a lot of hype in the last few weeks. In fact, it kinda overshadowed the Pixel 3a's launch. So what makes this phone so great, and why is it so popular?

So the history of OnePlus has always been centered around making a bang for your buck devices, and its no different with the OnePlus 7 Pro. Now yes this is the most expensive phone they have produced yet, coming in at around $670. But compared to the current market, this is still pretty affordable. Now in order to cut costs, OnePlus did cut back on a few features such as wireless charging, and no official waterproofing for the phone. But with the inclusion of warp charging, and an AMOLED display I can forgive these areas.

Still, the question remains though, how is this device good. And I think the answer to this is the balance of the phone. There are several great things about the phone that kind of outweigh the bad, and coupled with the competitive price point. It drives a pretty hard bargain.

Design:

Now obviously most people are going to start out talking about the display, but I want to take a look first at the form factor and design. The OnePlus 7 Pro did ship with multiple colors but the one that I've been using is the Nebula Blue Model. And while this phone lacks in grip, it's still one of the best looking phones I've used to date. Now, coupled with the iridescent soft touch glass back, the phone also has a very good feel in the hand. It's definitely a bit heavier to fit that larger battery, but it's still around the same size as my iPhone 8 plus, while packing a massive display. The curved Chamfered edges almost float seamlessly into the phone, and it's just genuinely nice to look at. This being said, it's still incredibly slippery, so you might want to grab a case or skin. D-Brand if you're listing, let's work something out.

Performance:

Not only is this phone beautiful to look at, but it's also incredibly fast. Like too fast. I have never used a phone that has been this responsive. Now part of that is due to the 90 hz display, but most that performance is thanks to the included Octa-core Snapdragon 855 processor, with 6gb of ram. Now the other variants, do come with 8gb, and even 12gb, of memory if you want it, but even with just 6 you're not going to notice a huge difference. Now, this is kind of impressive, considering the pixel 3 lineup only ships with 4 GB of ram and is more expensive. The point is, the phone is wicked fast and at this price point it's definitely worth it.

Display:

Alright so its probably pretty obvious by now, but my favorite feature of the OnePlus 7 Pro is that beautiful QHD AMOLED 90hz 6.6-inch display. This is probably the main reason you should buy this phone. Now before all of you jump in the comments and tell me that you don't need a 90 hz display, I know, of course, you don't, but it's still nice to have it. Seriously this phone is just a joy to use, because of those incredibly smooth animations and such a rich display. Now one thing about the display you might not know is the ability to change color profiles based on preference. For me, the phone felt a bit too green and cold, but I was able to easily fix this with the customization profile. Now the only slight drawback from the screen is that it doesn't have the best visibility in direct sunlight, don't get me wrong though, it's still incredibly good and bright, but just not as bright as other phones.

Battery:

With that 90hz display, you would probably assume that the battery is not great, but fortunately, this isn't the case. Although at first, I was only getting about 5 hrs of on screen time, over the course of my time with the phone, it steadily got better. It was almost as if each day, I got more and more battery life as if it needed to learn. I'm not entirely sure how OnePlus pulled this off, but now I'm averaging around 7-8 hrs of OST a day. Battery life did improve with a few updates from OnePlus, so if you're experiencing something, else, I would say just give it some time. Now if you want to, you can switch over to 1080p at 60hz which should improve battery life, but like someone on twitter said, that's kind of like buying a Mustang and then trying to save on gas, why would you do that? Even if you are experiencing some battery drain, the new warp charging should make up for this. Now if you like the flash, well this phone charges just about as fast. In my day today, I was easily able to get to 50% in 20 minutes, and a full charge in under an hour. I don't know how OnePlus has pulled off this wizardry, but they did, and it just works.

Gaming:

Not only does the OnePlus 7 Pro ship with a super fast processor, but also with a pretty dang good GPU. The Adreno 640 GPU is no chump and handles games in its sleep. Gaming on the phone is incredibly fast, and responsive, and surprisingly I didn't notice a severe battery drain when doing so. Now the OnePlus 7 Pro has a few options for gaming, such as gaming mode and fanatic mode, but I have yet to use these as out of the box, gaming is already great.

Fingerprint:

Now you've probably noticed by now, but the OnePlus 7 Pro, ships with an in a display fingerprint sensor, and while at first I definitely had some inconsistency issues. After a few updates, the fingerprint works about 95% of the time. One thing to note, for optimal success, it's more of a press than a rest, so if you have issues at first, try pressing in more. Other than that, the fingerprint is pretty dang fast, and I didn't notice a huge difference coming from Touch ID.

Camera:

Ok, so you're probably thinking that this sounds like the perfect phone, and it's pretty close to it. However, the main area that needs work is the camera. Now the Pro ships with 3 lenses on the back and a motorized selfie camera on the front. The rear camera has a telephoto lens, normal, and a wide, and while this really useful to have, produced shots from each are not the same. Now, of course, this is to be expected, the main shooter ships with 48mp, the telephoto at 8, and the ultrawide at 16, but produced photos lack consistency. Overall the cameras are definitely capable, but they seem to globally over-sharpen the image, and they all struggle with dynamic range. Now, this isn't to say you can't get good results, results are just inconsistent. You can't always trust the camera, and that's why it's the area that needs the most work.

In terms of specifics though, the main lens produces rich contrast images, with good detail, and decent exposure, the ultrawide however seems to be a bit soft and washed out, and the telephoto is actually pretty good. As far as portrait mode goes, the OnePlus 7 Pro does a pretty good job of grabbing accurate edges for both the selfie and rear cameras, however, the blur sometimes seems like you are shooting at a far higher aperture. Basically meaning that photos don't really look like real shallow depth of field coming from a camera. However the telephoto lens actually produces some pretty good natural shallow depth of field results, and I started to default to it for macro and close up shots. All in all the issues with the camera can all be fixed with a software update, which I know OnePlus is tirelessly working on, and others have had better luck with unofficial google camera ports, so when that does officially get dropped just keep an eye out for it. But if you are on the fence about getting the Pro, don't let the camera steer you away. It still produces more than usable images, that can be actually really good, it just might take some time for the software to get better.

On a better note, however, the user experience of the device, is stellar. When Oxygen OS first came out, I remember being impressed. Everything was fluid and simple, and that has remained true over the last 5 years. Today, Oxygen OS is as smooth as ever. I love the different gesture options and customizability that it offers. And if I had to choose a non-stock experience I would definitely go with Oxygen OS. It's clean and well optimized, and this is the first time I've stuck with the default launcher.

Speakers & Price:

So 2 things left to talk about. One, the speakers on this phone are quite good. They are very loud, and definitely give a stereo if not surround sound feel. There is actually a DOLBY video preloaded on the phone, which just blew me away. If you have it you know what I'm talking about. Call quality is great, and there is no issue with the small speaker housed on the front. Second, the price is just right. I briefly mentioned this earlier but at $670 you're going to be hard pressed to find a device with specs, performance, display, and battery life this good. I really hope other companies like Samsung and Google start to take note from OnePlus because in my honest opinion spending upwards of $1000 for a phone is starting to get ridiculous.

Final Thoughts:

Well, I just love this phone, I had the honor to be a part of the OnePlus 7 Pro lab testers, and I'm incredibly thankful to OnePlus for sending this out. If the phone wasn't sent to me, I still would have bought it, and I have now fully switched from my iPhone 8 Plus to the Pro. Which is something I didn't think I would be saying for a long time? If you like an affordable, quality experience, then the OnePlus 7 Pro is a no brainer.

That's going to wrap it up for this review. Thanks again to OnePlus for sending this my way. Feel free to check out the other Lab Reviewers thoughts on the phone. This is Luke with TechnoMinute and until next time Peace!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019

3. Venky61
    Jelly Bean May 22, 2019

Venky61 , May 22, 2019 :
    Hey.. Good start.
    The screen is indeed a beauty. Your first frame in the video made me wanna have that phone :D
    Looking forward for your in-depth review.

4. TechnoMinute
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 28, 2019

TechnoMinute , May 28, 2019 :
    Thanks so much!