[The Lab] OnePlus 7 Pro Review - dnagpaldg

1. digitfreak2 Cupcake May 21, 2019

digitfreak2, May 21, 2019 :
    If that was true, it would happen on Oneplus 6T as well, isn't it? but it is not an issue there.

btw I am using Senheisser HD 4.50 BT SE. It has aptx hd codex support.

2. razzor228 Gingerbread May 21, 2019

dnagpaldg likes this.
  3. dnagpaldg The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

dnagpaldg, May 21, 2019 :
    I just tried but I could not reproduce this bug. The device seems fine to me, because I'm on the exact same software. Also, if the audio is coming out properly for movies and videos, games should be processed in a similar way.

As I cannot reproduce the bug, and my device is the same as yours, I want you to try the following :

1. Report it to the developers in the feedback app.
    2. Check if the game is not having issues on the OnePlus 7 Pro.
    3. Reset the device.
    4. Try using other headphones with this phone.

Hopefully this fixes it.

4. jakecalderon Cupcake May 21, 2019

jakecalderon, May 21, 2019 :
    Thought you did an awesome job typing up this review man! Very organized and you included an objective persepctive, unlike a lot of other jaded reviewers we see out there. I would definitely read more of your stuff!

- Jake, from my One Plus 7 Pro

dnagpaldg likes this.
  5. dnagpaldg The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

dnagpaldg, May 21, 2019 :
    Thanks man! This means a lot [e]1f603[/e]

6. F1536011049830 Eclair May 21, 2019

F1536011049830, May 21, 2019 :
    How's battery life on your OP7 Pro? I got it today and played a lot on it but I came from an OP6 and there I got constantly over 6h SOT where here I managed to empty 55% of battery in 2.5 hours. I changed the Rez to FHD + and keep it to 90hz. will see if it helps. I'm also waiting for the software update with the variable refresh rate.

7. Loveit Jelly Bean May 21, 2019

Loveit, May 21, 2019 :
    Are you a shill?

8. S1558373809128 Cupcake May 22, 2019

S1558373809128, May 22, 2019 :
    My portrait mode is not working properly .Snaps are hazy and depth effect is also not at its best .Is someone facing same issue ? Is it software problem or Hardware ?
    I can clearly see some moisture from inside at back of camera lenses .

9. W1543874156092 Cupcake May 22, 2019

10. Patrick_Review Eclair May 22, 2019

11. mehak0712 Cupcake May 22, 2019

mehak0712, May 22, 2019 :
    hey i have bought a new oneplus 7pro the feature to double tap to wake up the screen is not working please help me out how that problem can be solved

12. F1536011049830 Eclair May 22, 2019

13. dnagpaldg The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 22, 2019

Stickied Post
    dnagpaldg, May 22, 2019 :
    Oxygen OS

The OnePlus 7 Pro ships with OxygenOS 9.5.3 . Its fast and sensible, and offers you a lot of customisation options. I’m writing for the Community and so I do not need to explain the general layout, and I’ll just point out the new features.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first thing I want to ask OnePlus is : why can’t I uninstall Netflix? Even if Amazon Kindle and Shopping were put there, atleast they could be uninstalled. This one cannot be.

There’s DC Dimming in the OnePlus Laboratory menu. It’s supposed to control brightness by varying input current, but can increase screen flickering. At lower brightness, I did see the screen flicker when I was going through a PDF, but I also had reading mode on (more on it later). The tech seems intriguing, but for OLED devices, it is more gimmick than utility.

Then there is the Zen Mode. It is something I’m pretty excited to see in a phone. I’m a student who was using the Forest app when studying earlier, and I did close that app more times than I should. Zen Mode basically shuts you out of the phone for a certain length of time. This is probably useless for someone in an office, but for someone who needs to get something done in the real world like studies, this will prove invaluable. Frankly, this can become a million times better if only OnePlus let us set the time ourselves. Digital Wellbeing is not available outside the US, and this is something that can be touted in its place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OnePlus has redesigned the reply UI for messages when you are watching a video. For supported apps, it’ll go split screen and show you a floating keyboard while the actual video keeps playing. I am still undecided about the feature.

[​IMG]

A major annoyance with the earlier UI was that the keyboard would start from the bottom of the phone, and without a sizeable chin it meant that we had to hold the phone very low. Thankfully, OnePlus has fixed it now and the keyboard is at a raised level now, which means we can hold the phone securely when typing.

[​IMG]
    Notice the small gap at the bottom? That makes a huge difference.

OnePlus gestures are awesome. There are still buttons and the Google gesture system, but this one is my favourite because (1) They are intuitive and (2) they do not involve a bar that takes up screen space and causes pixel burn-in. Don't want to take my word, okay, but then there is an app by (not on XDA, BY XDA) to port just those gestures. The reduced (absent) chin does mean that you have to swipe from the bottom of the phone, so you'll end up holding it lower mostly. There might be a chance that you're uncomfortable with the way you need to swipe, and that is okay - this is a large phone and sometimes you'd rather use two hands on it. If you've got large hands, you'll love them.

There is a screen recorder in the phone now. It’s nice and its functional, but it obviously does not work on some apps like Netflix to protect copyrights. The screenshot taking experience has been improved though, with the button for a scrolling screenshot put right under the preview. You can open and edit the screenshot immediately and then share it. These are small things that make the overall experience much better.

Another thing is Night Mode 2.0 . It gets really, really dim when you need it be. There is also the option of setting the colour profile for night mode, by which I mean how much of that amber tint you want on the screen. Aside from it, there is a reading mode, which needs some improvement. Basically it turns the screen black and white and maxes the contrast.

Then there is the haptic engine and vibration motor on the phone - Phenomenal. They bring the entire experience to another level, which might be the reason why we saw it get hyped up before the launch. The haptic experience is everywhere in the phone - when you type, when you unlock it, and even when you’re using the dial on pro mode. There is no way to turn it off though, which is a sad considering customizability is something OnePlus prides itself on.

The gaming mode is called Fnatic mode. They’re a CounterStrike team, and the most legendary one at that. I have not tested it, but the implementation seems to be extremely good. You can get text-only notifications without the banners, making them much less obtrusive. It will try to boost your cell signal to reduce latency. And then it does all the regular stuff like making sure your game gets maximum resources, muting calls and texts.

Oxygen OS standard features like screen off gestures and the shelf are still there. A parking location feature has been added to it, which lets you save the coordinates or a picture of where exactly you stored your car. This is probably more helpful when you park it in a large parking lot in your office/mall, but relatively useless otherwise.
    [​IMG]

14. dnagpaldg The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 22, 2019

Stickied Post
    dnagpaldg, May 22, 2019 :
    Telephony

Coming to connectivity, the phone checks all the boxes. It locked on to GPS in about 20 seconds, worst case. I received the North American variant of the phone and it is working with all Indian carriers, so thats nice too. Telephony is nice on the phone, but the best thing is its proximity sensor placement.
    [​IMG]
    I had a major issue with the OnePlus 6 - as the proximity sensor was put on the centrally located notch, it would often turn on the screen during the call and start doing weird stuff like muting the call, turning on the flashlight or pulling down the notification shade. The proximity sensor on this phone thankfully turns off the display at a reasonable distance from the ear. These are small things that do not look like issues unless you've had them.

If you want to check carrier compatibility for the phone, OnePlus has a tool : https://www.oneplus.in/7pro?from=head#/specs
    Open the link, and then go to the connectivity section. There is a carrier list sorted by country.

[​IMG]

Atleast in my variant, the call recording feature is gone. I do not know if others used it, but I preferred to record official calls so that I could play them back when I had forgotten an address or something.

15. Lachezar23 Froyo May 22, 2019

Lachezar23, May 22, 2019 :
    I ve heard that the front part of the pop up camera is made of plastic. Do you have some scratches already there or is the plastic durable

16. DARTH 007 KitKat May 22, 2019

DARTH 007, May 22, 2019 :
    same I heard in some YouTube review

17. elanglois Lollipop May 23, 2019

elanglois, May 23, 2019 :
    Your review says it's a USB C 3.0 port. Please confirm that it's USB 3. USB C does NOT mean USB 3.

18. Hydra Bob Starting Point Expert May 23, 2019

Hydra Bob, May 23, 2019 :
    Screenshot_Chrome_20190523-014838.png

They finally made the leap to 3.1 apparently. The supplied charging cable still only supports USB 2.1 but the port itself should be 3.1 capable now.

19. elanglois Lollipop May 23, 2019

Wow. That's a big deal. I was about to look for that spec sheet but ran out if time on my lunch, so thanks for finding it for me.

I'm surprised more hasn't been mentioned of this. I'd love to see some file transfer tests vs WiFi Direct speeds

Hydra Bob likes this.
  20. elanglois Lollipop May 23, 2019

Laser sensor???

Hydra Bob likes this.