[The Lab] OnePlus 7T: The best 'T' Upgrade Ever

1. Dhruv Kashyap
    Gingerbread Oct 15, 2019

Dhruv Kashyap , Oct 15, 2019 :
    1572339365037.jpg 1572339365165.jpg

A few leaks and many rumours had got everyone bubbling with excitement for the OnePlus 7T launch. Along with many others I was also eagerly waiting for the official launch event on 26th September 2019. I was among the lucky few to grab a ticket to the launch event held at Indira Gandhi Arena, New Delhi. Trying my hands on this beast of a phone I was taken by awe. The phone did leave a splendid first impression. Talking about first impressions, the way Tilen Pigac (@Tilen P) unveiled the OnePlus TV was absolutely fantastic and deserves a special mention here.

Coming back to the review, I was really excited for the ‘T’ upgrade of the OnePlus 7. This time around, OnePlus kept the pre-booking option for its offline partners only (no pre-booking on Amazon.in). I ordered this phone from Amazon.in. Thanks to the next day delivery, I didn’t have to wait long enough.

Unboxing and Design

The new box design looks astonishing. I’ve heard people say it looks like a brick , but I like it . Printed on the box is a welcome message for the community. Kudos to OnePlus for a long box and ample space to neatly pack everything. In contrast to opening previous OnePlus boxes, this time I didn’t have to go search for a knife to open it. OnePlus has added a red coloured Open tag to remove the plastic covering which comes out easily by simply pulling the tag.
    upload_2019-10-29_14-53-18.png upload_2019-10-29_14-53-32.png

Once you complete next two steps of Drop & Pop here’s what you would be looking at. On top there is the usual paperwork containing OnePlus Community Welcome Invitation Letter, Safety Information, Introduction Guide, Plastic Recycling Info., and few OnePlus Stickers. Just below these, is the OnePlus 7T Device wrapped in plastic. Underneath it there’s a sim ejector tool, Transparent Silicon Case, Warp Charge 30T (5V-6A) Adapter and USB Type C Cable.

The device comes with a pre-applied screen protector which can easily prevent the screen from minor to moderate scratches. However there is no drop protection with it so a Tempered Glass would be recommended. The included case is of fine quality and comes with the raised edges. This raised edge cover does the job pretty well, my sister has accidently dropped her OnePlus 6 device a few times and thanks to this cover no harm came to her device.

upload_2019-10-29_14-36-9.png

I purchased the OnePlus 7T 8 + 256 GB variant which comes in only one colour Glacier Blue. Although, I wish more colour options should have been available with the 256 GB storage variant, this one is amazing in itself. The device feels very premium and sleek in hands. This time, OnePlus has gone with Matte Frosted Glass for the 7T series and undoubtedly this gives a very classy look and feel. To me the new look on the back feels astonishing though it still is a bit of fingerprint magnet.Build quality has never been an issue with OnePlus and 7T falls in line with the same. This device is a bit taller than its predecessors due to its increased screen size and narrower display.
    The sides on the OnePlus 7T are covered with anodized Aluminium which adds to the premium vibe and durability of the device,

upload_2019-10-29_14-55-18.png upload_2019-10-29_14-55-42.png

The right side of the device houses power button and alert slider (its size has decreased significantly and it’s a nice upgrade). On the bottom we have speaker grill, a Type C Port, and dual nano sim tray. The left side is occupied by Volume Up and Down buttons and finally the top of the phone is empty except for microphone. On the back we have an the most distinguishing feature of the 7T, entirely new circular triple camera module with dual led flash, though some people are disappointed with this circular camera casing but to me it looks great. Yes, following the footpaths from the last T (6T) it misses on the headphone jack as well.

One thing that is very cool about this device is that OnePlus has surrounded the opening of ports and the Sim Tray with a red rubber ring which helps in the water resistance. It has almost all characteristics and protections of a phone with an IP rating but to cut costs OnePlus hasn't moved forward for an official certification.

upload_2019-10-29_23-7-41.png upload_2019-10-29_23-18-13.png

Thanks to Jerry Rig Everything for the Wallpaper image of the device. All the red accent rubber bands are for protection from water.
    (P.S.: There is still no official IP Rating and any kind of physical or liquid damage voids the device warranty)

Display

OnePlus has always believed in providing the latest technology innovations to its users with minimum compromises and on popular demand they brought the USP of the OnePlus 7 Pro to the OnePlus 7T. Yes, the 7T comes with a tall 6.55-inch fluid AMOLED *90 Hz Refresh Rate* panel with support for the latest HDR10+ technology. It has a new 20: 9 aspect ratio and a waterdrop notch at the top, all covered under 2.5D Corning[e]00ae[/e] Gorilla[e]00ae[/e] Glass. Display feels vivid and incredibly immersive. OnePlus has also reduced the bezels compared to the OnePlus 7 and the notch size is also smaller this time around. If you do not hate notches, you will simply not notice it in the daily usage.

upload_2019-10-29_14-56-24.png upload_2019-10-29_15-7-58.png

The display panel on OnePlus 7T can go all the way up to 1000 nits of brightness, and believe me that’s a lot! Even under direct sunlight the viewing angles are great and you won’t feel let down ever.It also has a new chromatic reading mode which basically makes reading more intriguing by not making it all black and white but desaturating the screen's content.
    upload_2019-10-29_15-12-48.png upload_2019-10-29_15-13-19.png

The Big screen supports in a seamless multitasking experience, I can watch YouTube videos and chat about it on WhatsApp at the same time. Suppose you are gaming, but want to reply to an urgent message, you can select reply from the notification shade and without exiting the game, a floating keyboard opens and you can do the task flawlessly. The screen feels buttery smooth while scrolling and switching b/w apps, though I wish all app manufacturers should bring up the support for the 90 Hz. If you are switching from a 60 Hz panel (which includes most of us), a new era awaits you.

upload_2019-10-29_22-37-29.png
    In Image: Floating Keyboard with PUBG on

Camera

Apart from the Screen, camera here is a major upgrade from the OnePlus 7. The Oneplus 7T offers an entirely new 48+16+12 MP triple camera system at the back along with the dual led flash all contained in a black circular cutout and a 16MP front facing camera housed in the waterdrop notch.
    OnePlus has added the 2X Telephoto and a 117° Field of View Ultrawide Angle camera along with the 48MP Sony IMX586 Lens with f/1.6 aperture. With Software optimisations and the ultrawide angle lens, OnePlus has added a new macro mode with which you can go to as close as 2.5 cms to the object. Most smartphones cannot do that without an external lens. This feature is amazing and the details the macro shots capture are surprising. OnePlus has also added the support for nightscape mode on the ultrawide angle camera and it does a great work. Also, you can click Portrait Mode pictures using the regular wide lens as well apart from the Telephoto Lens.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

On Video front, apart from the slow motion and 4K 60fps, we get video recording support on all the 3 lenses, and a new Super Stable Mode which is quite useful feature for everyone specially vloggers and videographers. The super steady mode is achieved by HIS, i.e. hybrid image stabilisation combined using EIS & OIS. As for the front facing camera, it is capable of filming only in 1080p and has no Optical Image Stabilisation.
    The Cameras on this one look quite capable though there are some space for improvement at the time but with few software updates and tweaks, we can get some amazing results. Recently I received an update which improved the camera quality and also fixed some bugs.

[Update]: Diwali and more pics added!

Here are some shots for you to judge yourself.
    P.S.: All photos are original and unedited.

Performance

OnePlus devices are always known for providing the top tier hardware and an amazing software experience. The OnePlus 7T is no different. It is powered by the latest Qualcomm[e]00ae[/e] Snapdragon[e]2122[/e] 855 Plus chip which is claimed to be about 15% faster than the Qualcomm[e]00ae[/e] Snapdragon[e]2122[/e] 855 in graphics rendering and about 4% faster on the CPU front.
    It comes with massive 8 GB of Ram and 128/256 gigs of UFS 3.0 storage which helps in faster data transfer and app opening speeds.
    The Fnatic mode is a cherry on the cake for all the gamers out there.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

All these clubbed together makes OnePlus 7T a massive powerhouse and It performs like a beast. The Device gets a whopping score of 398005 on AnTuTu Benchmark and topped the charts like a star.
    [Update]: With the latest V8 of AnTuTu Benchmark, the device scores a huge 470169 and defeats 95% of the users. 7T also reached a score of 187871 on the trending AITuTu Benchmark.
    The detailed stats are attached below:

upload_2019-10-29_22-49-39.png upload_2019-10-29_22-50-2.png upload_2019-10-29_22-50-10.png

Unlocking

This one has the In-Display fingerprint scanner which is quite fast and works almost every time without any issue. This technology is implemented using an underscreen camera module which sits right below the fingerprint sensor. Apart from this there is an option for face unlock which is pretty speedy as well. (Though it is less secure).

upload_2019-10-29_14-49-54.png

Audio

Though it misses out on the 3.5 mm Headphone jack, the OnePlus 7T features dual stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos[e]00ae[/e] audio optimizations. From the wallpaper image of 7T by Jerry, we can also find that 7T houses a dedicated speaker on the top of the phone which adds to the immersive sound experience on 7T, unlike many other devices which only boost up the sound. In real life usage, they turned out to be pretty loud and didn't have any kind of distortion. Personally for me, 3.5 mm jack didn't matter much because I am using the Bullet Wireless V2 with My phone and they have an awesome result.
    OnePlus 7T supports Bluetooth 5, aptX, aptX HD, LDAC and AAC which combined gives a great range for bluetooth devices and soulful audio experience.

upload_2019-10-29_15-11-41.png upload_2019-10-29_22-23-7.png

upload_2019-10-29_22-23-22.png

Network

I have tested the network with my Jio and Vodafone sim, and the signal strength and network reception are quite good on this one. even inside my house, I am able to get pretty good network compared to some other devices.

Battery (Charging and life)

OnePlus 7T has an increased 3800 MaH battery (Being a heavy user, I really wished it to be more) and to fuel it we get a Warp Charge 30T Adapter in the box. The New charging algorithm provides Blazing fast speeds and makes it the fastest Warp Charge ever. With it, OnePlus 7T charges from 0% to roughly 70% in about 30-35 mins, while a full charge costs under an hour. It is faster to feel than to read. However due to the 90 Hz and SD 855+, I am getting a SOT of about 5 hours on this one with a bit of gaming which seems a little low. If you really need the battery to last longer you can switch it to 60 Hz setting to increase it the SOT by one hour or so (which I personally won't recommend against the 90 Hz smoothness), or turn on the dark mode for more efficiency. (SOT entirely depends on your usage so no need to worry).
    Anyways, you can always Warp Charge, the phone would charge to last a couple of hours in the time you take to get ready when going out. Even while gaming, I am getting quite fast charging speeds compared to few competitors.

upload_2019-10-29_15-40-17.png upload_2019-10-29_15-41-19.png

Oxygen OS

OnePlus 7T is among the first phones to feature Android 10 out of the box. OnePlus has always focused on small details to provide a seamless and refined experience. The new and updated Oxygen OS 10 has tons of tweaks which improve the overall usability and responsiveness of the phone and which comes with support of all new gestures navigation system and system wide dark mode.

OnePlus has also added a whole new Customizations menu in the settings.Now you can launch the google assistant quite easily by sliding from the bottom corners. Innovative features and optimizations make everything faster, smoother, and more inspiring. Oxygen OS is the fastest, most comfortable, natural and intuitive among any mobile OS I have experienced.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Zen Mode tops it all for maintaining the balance between real and virtual life.OnePlus has also introduced a dedicated Game Space which boosts up the phone’s performance while gaming along with gaming video enhancements.

Apart from this Oxygen OS comes with the implementation of Digital Wellbeing which basically allows you to monitor your phone usage and further regulate or limit it using the inbuilt app timers, It can show your weekly usage, no. of notifications by an app, and much more in a very orderly and user friendly manner.

upload_2019-10-29_16-0-50.png upload_2019-10-29_16-0-57.png

[Update]: With the new OTA update, The cloud service for gallery has been added. The update log is attached for your reference

upload_2019-10-29_16-1-26.png upload_2019-10-29_16-1-31.png

Note: With the new launcher update, Step Counter has been added to the Shelf along side more customisation options such as switching between layout of apps in Home Screen Only (Horizontally) or Home Screen and Drawer (Vertical Swipes)

upload_2019-10-29_15-45-21.png upload_2019-10-29_15-45-45.png upload_2019-10-29_15-45-53.png

OnePlus is among very few brands who provide latest versions of Android to its users and OnePlus assures of 2 years of android updates and 3 years of security patch updates which is great and very reliable (even The One Plus 3 got Android 9 Pie Update)

OnePlus Care Benefits are another welcoming move for the community.
    Update: OnePlus has added another OnePlus Care Benefit in form of Limitless Referrals. This one is time limited and valid till 16th Nov, 2019 only.
    Under this, If you are a OnePlus user you can refer your friends to buy OnePlus 7T series or OnePlus 7 Pro. You get Rs. 1000 worth Amazon voucher, your friends get additional Rs. 2000 instant discount.

upload_2019-10-29_14-50-25.png

Things I find should've been better -
    • No 3.5 mm headphone jack. At least a type c to 3.5 mm adapter in the box would have been appreciated.
    • No Notification light (or similar technology)
    • Camera Bump on the back
    • Certified IP Rating would be appreciated.
    • Wireless charging technology still not supported.
    • A Full Screen experience at a similar price point
    However, these are mostly perspective based & some people might have varying thoughts on this.

upload_2019-10-15_12-28-38.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Oct 15, 2019

dsmonteiro , Oct 15, 2019 :
    Wow, great entry! Thanks for your participation!

3. Dhruv Kashyap
    Gingerbread Oct 15, 2019

Dhruv Kashyap , via OnePlus 7T , Oct 15, 2019 :
    Thank You, it really means a lot[e]263a[/e]️[e]1f60a[/e][e]1f64f[/e][e]1f64f[/e]

Starcommander likes this.
  4. ayushikashyap1
    Donut Oct 15, 2019

5. vikas nawal
    Cupcake Oct 15, 2019

vikas nawal , Oct 15, 2019 :
    Which adaptor you have received.. as I Have received Warp 30 adaptor in the box and not warp 30T.

Dhruv Kashyap likes this.
  6. Dhruv Kashyap
    Gingerbread Oct 15, 2019

It has updated cameras, 90Hz display, SD 855+ processor and much much more.
    A New Era awaits you.

ayushikashyap1 likes this.
  7. Dhruv Kashyap
    Gingerbread Oct 15, 2019

The Warp Charge algorithm has been adjusted in the battery of the OnePlus 7T, so the charger remains the same, however charging speeds are much more faster

MosheG1 likes this.
  8. meatandy
    Oreo Oct 16, 2019

meatandy , Oct 16, 2019 :
    Nice review man !

9. Dhruv Kashyap
    Gingerbread Oct 17, 2019

Starcommander and meatandy like this.
  10. maarten_lisboa
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Oct 17, 2019

MosheG1 and Dhruv Kashyap like this.
  11. Dhruv Kashyap
    Gingerbread Oct 17, 2019

Dhruv Kashyap , via OnePlus 7T , Oct 17, 2019 :
    Honest views and Never settle attitilude is always important.
    Thank you @maarten_lisboa for the appreciation.

maarten_lisboa likes this.
  12. K1571047606017
    Cupcake Oct 17, 2019

13. Soulsurfer919 , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Oct 17, 2019 :
    Nice feedback. Enjoying this new device for past few weeks. You have put the right words for this device.

I am in love with this hardware and software combo for a long time now. I know it's early days of android 10 Oxygen OS need some ironing out of little bugs in the OS, looking forward to next couple of updates for that.

7T highly recommended.

Caomhin and Dhruv Kashyap like this.
  14. Dhruv Kashyap
    Gingerbread Oct 17, 2019

Though its a 16 MP shooter, i think with the software tweaks and optimisations, it does a great task. However, there are always scope for improvement.

MosheG1 likes this.
  15. Dhruv Kashyap
    Gingerbread Oct 17, 2019

Thank you Gentleman.
    Also, keep exploring the great capabilities of the new triple camera system.[e]1f64f[/e]

Caomhin likes this.
  16. MosheG1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 17, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Oct 17, 2019 :
    that would be because there is no way 30t adapter, the new charging technology is in the battery itself

17. Dhruv Kashyap
    Gingerbread Oct 17, 2019

Yes, they have updated the charging algorithm in the battery itself rather than the adapter.

18. MosheG1

I wonder if they could update the algorithm for the 7pro as well, or if it's the physical battery that's changed as well?

19. Dhruv Kashyap
    Gingerbread Oct 17, 2019

As far as i know, its the physical changes in the battery along with updated algo, however if that was a possibility, that would have been great.

MosheG1 likes this.
  20. MosheG1

I agree, although I doubt they would do it even if they could because then there would be almost no difference between it and the 7t pro