[The Lab] - OnePlus 8 Pro Review by Abhilash Saikia via OnePlus 8 Pro Glacial Green

1. AbhilashSaikia
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jun 23, 2020

AbhilashSaikia , via OnePlus 8 Pro Glacial Green , Jun 23, 2020 :
    The LAB- AbhilashSaikia Header.jpg

Namaste Community,

My name is Abhilash, and I'm here to share my thoughts about the OnePlus 8 Pro, the latest and greatest addition to the Never Settle family.

I would like to say that finally, it has arrived and I have been using it for a couple of days now and here's what I think-

Uh, no... wait, let's hold on for a moment.

Allow me to tell you about my story with the LAB program. As much as I was thrilled to be onboard this community tradition, there was a slight fear that the delay in delivery of the phone would hamper the process. It added to test my patience and due to the situation all around, it took me nearly 19.40% of 2020 (nearly 2 months, 10 days) more than the other reviewers to get my hands on the phone. I think most of you might have checked their work and if not, I'd encourage you to check them out as they've done an incredible job with the reviews. The cherry on the cake - everyone has a unique style and perspective of reviewing the device.

It's said that great things come to those who wait and it surely is true. Even though it took a while to arrive, I was one of the first few in India to get the OnePlus 8 Pro on my hands. It almost felt like a lifetime waiting for the phone to arrive at my doorstep and the excitement definitely in seventh heaven! With every passing day, my excitement kept buzzing.

The idea of waiting for something makes it more exciting. Was it worth the wait? That's what we'll find out in my review.

Coming to the review, I'll keep it precise and straightforward. Neither will I bore you by explaining a spec-sheet, nor will I present a biased opinion like a paid influencer. I promise to shoot straight throughout.

Sometimes, any combination of alphabets fails to express. But, pictures speak for themselves. Be prepared to see a lot of photos, and I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I did clicking and making them.

Also, if you have any specific queries about the device, I'll be happy to answer them. Even if you don't have a question or something, drop a <3 if you like my work.

The plan of my review is -

Contents

1. First Impressions: Unboxing Experience & Design

2. Display: 10-bit & 120 Hz Fluid Wizardry

3. Performance: Faster than Fast AF!

4. Camera: The Best OnePlus Camera Yet?

5. Battery and Charging: WARP it up - Wired or Wireless

6. OxygenOS: Fast, Smooth & Efficient

7. Summary: The Wow | The Okay | The Ugh

Without further ado, let's get started!

Community, this is for you!

Also, I'd like to thank @Lavin A. for helping me fine-tune the header. Hey, @Darshan D., I've added shadows. ;-)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020 at 9:40 AM

2. AbhilashSaikia
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jun 26, 2020

Stickied Post
    AbhilashSaikia , via OnePlus 8 Pro Glacial Green , Jun 26, 2020 :
    Unboxing_Final.jpg

1. First Impressions- Unboxing Experience & Design

As the saying goes - “If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video is worth a million.”​

Blessed are those who have a brother that knows dope editing and has a crazy thought process for super sick videos.
    A huge shoutout to my cousin @Bhargavesque for making this possible. We hope you like the video. It took us a lot of effort.

UNBOXING EXPERIENCE
    Peek-a-boo.jpg

Peek-a-Boo, I see you.

Gone are the days of subtle packages with white as the dominant color. A lot of things have changed since the OnePlus 7T Lineup. Time to welcome a red, tall, bright, and, definitely bold box with an upgraded Visual Identity!

OnePlus says "We created the new VI, not because we want to change who we are. But, to reinforce what OnePlus stands for. Introducing the new-and-improved OnePlus."
    Well, only one way to find out.

To be honest, when I first saw the OnePlus 7T packaging, I didn't like it much. It was surely a bold choice and appeared like a piece of red brick to me. After a while, this thing grew on me and I'm glad the packaging looks more appealing now. Maybe, this is what we should call the new normal?

We are greeted with some minimalistic text on the sides and the front a big black engraving of the number - '8'.

Hands down, I gotta give credit where it's due. A lot of thought has been put into designing the packaging and we're provided with a pull tab to easily peel of the plastic wrap.

Time for the slit, drop, pop!

As the box slides down the cover, the series logo is revealed on both sides.

If you were to ask - What's in the box?
    I'd say- A bunch of happiness.

[​IMG]

'Never Settle', says the bottom of the tray that holds the phone with the new VI. Attention to detail again, a tab to easily lift off and to peel the protective wrap of the phone. Enough of sitting like a baby in the tray, it's time to get into the business.

[​IMG]

The white tray thingy contains the regular documentation (duh, the least interesting stuff) and some cool stuff as well.

It houses -

1. Invitation Letter from Pete- a warm welcome!

2. SIM Tray Ejector

3. Red Cable Club Card

4. Quick Start Guide

5. Stickers

6. SAR Information

7. Plastic Recycling Information​

[​IMG]

The Invitation Letter.

As we lift the tray, we get to see -

1. A Case with 'Never Settle' engraving

2. Warp Type-C Cable [Supports USB 2.0]

3. Warp Charge 30 Adapter
    IMG_20200626_174524.jpg

Box contents.

I would like to speak about some things here-

Red Cable Club Card:

Was it necessary? It's just a plastic card without any purpose. First I thought that it has got tricks up its sleeve, like an NFC chip embedded into it but am I expecting a bit too much?

20200627-IMG_20200626_181005.jpg

Took the RCC Card to the nearest OnePlus Store and tried to buy something with it.
    They said, "Major cards only". So, you get what I'm saying?
    It looks cool tho!

Clear Case:

It has a vertical 'Never Settle' engraving on the right side of the case, but some people might prefer just a clear case. I was skeptical about it when I saw it in the photos but it looks kinda nice to me. Every time you look at your phone, you're reminded to Never Settle.​

[​IMG]

'Never Settle', says the case.

Some things to note here though -
    1. The case becomes pale with usage and attracts fingerprints and might become greasy, demanding a wipe or two from time to time.

2. It doesn't offer next-level drop protection. It surely has a raised lip around the display but it doesn't provide that much of an elevation to protect the display when kept facing down.

IMG_7168.jpg

Careful there.

3. The dust flap cover is annoying. It's fine to have dust protection for the charging port but the flap gets out of shape quickly.

IMG_20200626_221831.jpg

Shall I trim it?
    Update: Only the Indian Unit has it like this.
    Thanks to my fellow lab reviewer @G_Bédouin_Axel_vZuV for pointing this out.
    Warp Type-C Cable:

No doubt the port supports USB 3.1 GEN1 function but it requires a data cable that supports it. Unfortunately, the standard warp cable supports USB 2.0 only.

[​IMG]

Warp Type-C Cable forming the '8'.

That's pretty much it. I would have loved to see OnePlus include a USB C to 3.5 mm adapter and an OTG adapter, since not everyone owns Type C or Wireless Earphones. It would have made a lot of users happier.

But, ssh... Maybe they want you to check out their accessories!

Time to keep all of these aside and let's talk about the main deal here - the phone, The OnePlus 8 Pro.

20200627-IMG_20200626_174819 (1) (1).jpg

Oh love, you're mine.
    No Photoshop trickery here ;-)

DESIGN

Design is something very subjective. I will try to explain it as best as I can. All of the phones that I ever owned were either White or mostly Black. I wanted a change to this monotony. As luck would have it, @Zach X. sent me the top-specced Glacial Green variant, a color that I had set my heart upon. Zach is no less than Santa- the perfect mind reader.

'Glacial Green' is definitely a fitting name for this color. But, the phone has a trick up its sleeve. Let me show you how the colors change with the slightest change in angle. -

[​IMG]

From Glacial Green...

[​IMG]

To Ice Blue?
    Looks almost Photoshopped, doesn't it? I really can't get enough of it. It's something to fall in love with.

IMG_7265.jpg

What a beaut'! A work of art, indeed.
    "You're invited." - feels poetic.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that the phone is alluringly beautiful to look at and to behold. Quoting Tilen Pigac, "Top to bottom, front and back" -- it's sleek, smooth and gorgeous. Oh, the back! The back is really important. The best thing, it's a frosted glass back with a matte glaze, and that feels extra good to hold and gives a solid grip and a premium feel.

The phone is definitely curved, the good kind! Its curves feel ergonomically natural and fit into the palm like it's meant to be. Something to note here is that the curve has become subtler than the last year's OnePlus 7 Pro.

DSC_0002.jpg

Better than your perfect match on Tinder.

The first thing I noticed is that the phone feels lighter than my OnePlus 7 Pro. If we compare, it's 199 grams vs 206 grams - just 7 grams lighter. You'd think what difference would that make? I thought that too and I was proved wrong the immediate moment I picked up the device.

I feel that the product design team did an impressive job with the weight distribution of the device. It's not a small device at all, and that may lead to a not so comfortable one-handed usage for some. I would agree on that but, it won't hurt your wrist so easily if you're anyone like me who keeps on scrolling the phone throughout the day. Kudos to good weight management.

I don't have massive hands though and sometimes, it's hard to reach the notification panel with just the thumb. Maybe a real one-handed mode could help? More on that later. The phone is also taller than the OnePlus 7 Pro, measuring 165.3 mm.

[​IMG]

A New View | Lead With Speed | Go Beyond Speed

The ultra-premium addition to the OnePlus 8 Series is a well-built device. But, no phone is perfect. Don't get me wrong here, the thing that matters is- how close is it to perfection? OnePlus got a lot of things right about this device but, there are some bummers too! For the things that don't feel too well, I'd say Never Settle! I'll discuss this later.

The top part of the phone frame features a secondary microphone and a carving/ridge kinda thing. I wonder what that is for! Maybe to reduce a few grams without demoting structural integrity?

IMG_7184.jpg

"Top to bottom, front and back" -- it's sleek, smooth and gorgeous.

The bottom part of the phone features a SIM tray, primary microphone, USB 3.1 GEN1 port, and one of the stereo speakers (the earpiece speaker doubles up to provide a stereo experience).

IMG_7147.jpg

Miss the 3.5mm thingy?

Hmph... I miss you too, headphone jack. Sadly, this real "flagship" doesn't have an expandable storage option and maxes out at 256 GB of storage.

On the back, there's the camera array along with a couple of sensors and dual-LED flash. The camera bump is massive on this device. Thank god it's centered! Expect some wobble bobble if the phone is put on a flat surface without a case. Maybe, OnePlus really wanted to stick out on this one?

IMG_7156.jpg

Things might get bumpy without a case.

Now, let's talk about the button placements. Everything is easy to reach, from the volume buttons to the power button that's on the spot, the thumb resting right on it. I'm all in for clicky buttons and OnePlus has never failed to provide that experience.

I believe, the most underrated part of a good phone is great buttons. The OnePlus 8 Pro checks it right off and provides some good tactile feel to it.

[​IMG]

Every button is comfortably accessible, burdenless.

I can't emphasize enough on how good it is to have a hardware alert slider. There are three modes to it - Ring, Vibrate, or Silent (1+ to the status quo, remember?) For my friends reading this on an iPhone, no hard feelings.

The alert slider appears to have changed a little bit from the earlier devices. It has shed some weight and might have lost some millimeters, but the texture gives an assuring feel to it and is easy as ABC to use.

IMG_7151.jpg

The mighty Alert Slider.
    Why is this not a thing for all smartphones?

If you have a beautiful edge to edge display and everyone wants better water resistance with an IP rating, what do you do? - Punch it down right at the corner to make space for the front camera. Not everyone can live without a front camera, right?

IMG_7325.jpg

Notice how the default wallpapers make the punch-hole cutout blend in.
    No, it's still there. Pure trickery here.

It's not exactly a deal-breaker and I don't mind it at all since it's quite small. But, it might take a while getting used to. For me, I got used to it right away. Though I have been a fan of the unintrusive full-screen experience of the OnePlus 7 Pro, I have a mixed opinion about moving parts inside my phone.

Let's look at the positive side of having a hole-punch cutout, an IP 68 dust and water resistance rating, and a crazy fast face unlock.

[​IMG]

It's IP68 rated but water is water.
    Note: No OnePlus devices were harmed while clicking this.

Although the previous OnePlus models have been claimed to be somewhat water-resistant, an official IP rating is new for the brand.

Phew! I can't believe I wrote so much.

Here are some more pictures-

IMG_7370.jpg

Welcome Letter from @Pete.

IMG_6915.jpg

From being vivid during the daytime...

IMG_6890.jpg

To being soothing during the evening.

[​IMG]

To the 'Explorer' in me, Never Settle!

IMG_20200626_220234.jpg

The ruler says, "Leave your mark."

OP8Pro_Box.jpg

Alluring matte goodness.

IMG_20200626_214522.jpg

OnePlus Red, everywhere!

[​IMG]

Notice the Haze. Gorgeous, isn't it?

DSC_0001.jpg

Hello Glacial Green!

IMG_7153.jpg

The camera module sticks out, a lot!

IMG_7132-01.jpeg

OnePlus Life!

IMG_7040.jpg

The outdoor visibility of this display is superb.

[​IMG]

Hand-in-hand with The Community.

For someone like me who belongs to the TL; DR club, here you go -
    1. Clear Case included.
    2. Pre-applied screen protector.
    3. No USB-C to 3.5 mm adapter or Type-C OTG.
    4. Warp Charger Logo still has the old Logo.
    5. Wholesome unboxing experience, attention to detail by OnePlus. Pull tabs at the right places.

1. See the pictures. :p
    2. "Top to bottom, front and back" -- it's sleek, smooth and gorgeous.
    3. Premium feel but Aluminium Frame. The design is polished.
    4. Matte Glaze.
    5. Curves feel ergonomically natural.
    6. Impressive weight distribution. Feels comfortable.
    7. OnePlus wants you to feel you're picking up a work of art. It feels better than that too because it's a thing to fall in love with.

Wait, read the whole review... maybe?

Congratulations if you've made this so far and thanks a lot for reading. Stay tuned to this thread for the next parts of my review!

I'll share an album link with some high-res photos soon. Yeah, there's more than this. I took a lot of them. ;-)

See you tomorrow with the next part, take care!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020 at 9:57 PM

3. AbhilashSaikia
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jun 27, 2020

Stickied Post
    AbhilashSaikia , via OnePlus 8 Pro Glacial Green , Jun 27, 2020 :
    Display_Final.jpg

2. Display: 120 Hz Wizardry

On average, it's said that we touch or swipe across our device around 2000 times a day. What qualities would you look in a thing that you regularly interact with?

For me, it should be immersive, vibrant & bright, easily visible during harsh lighting conditions & soothing during the evening lights, and most importantly, it should be fluid and instantaneous.

OnePlus stepped up its display refresh rate game last year with the introduction of the OnePlus 7 Pro- 90 Hz Fluid Display.

Jumping from the OnePlus 5T with a refresh rate of just 60 Hz to the OnePlus 7 Pro coupled with 2K+ 90 Hz Fluid Display, it felt something magical. Things became more fluid. No jitters and everything just flowed - super smooth everything.

I thought it couldn't get any better, but OnePlus has proven me wrong again. It seems that 90 Hz has become too mainstream and is a thing of the past now.

Welcome, 120 Hz Super Fluid QHD+ AMOLED. If that's not enough, pair that with 240 Hz Touch Sampling. Oh god, should I mention that it feels like pure wizardry?

With the OnePlus 8 Pro's display, things are even better. Well, for most of the cases. We'll dive into the details soon.

Allow me to explain what this gorgeous edge-to-edge (hmph, punch-hole) display feels like with this -
    "As smooth as silk and faster than a hare."
    [​IMG]

If the OnePlus 7 Pro is Fluid, it's elder brother 8 Pro is Super Fluid.
    Howzat?

The under-display fingerprint scanner seems bigger than the one found on the previous year's Pro. This should mean effortless and accurate fingerprint unlock every time.
    [​IMG]

The new and improved scanner beneath is waiting for your fingerprint.

Screen Size:

The 6.78" display is enormous and with no doubt, immersive. OnePlus went with a punch-hole cutout for the camera though. But, it's something I don't mind considering that I don't like moving parts inside my phone.

Also, OnePlus ships the phone with a pre-applied screen protector. Thumbs up to that! It's okayish and would do the job till you get some robust protection for it. I have already ordered a tempered glass as JerryRig says - "Glass is glass, and glass breaks.", which I completely agree with. Coincidentally, today happens to his 32nd birthday. So, Happy Birthday Mr. Deeper Grooves at Level 7!
    [​IMG]

Fancy that wallpaper? It's #ShotonOnePlus.

For someone like me who likes to binge-watch series after series on a mobile phone, the screen size is a source of pure bliss.

Coming from the OnePlus 7 Pro with a real full-screen immersive display that had no-punch hole cutout and just pure full-screen, it does feel like a trade-off, but the pros outweigh the cons in many areas.

Well, due to the not-so-standard 19.8:9 screen ratio, we get a black bar at the top of the screen while watching content that hides the punch hole area and makes you lose a bit of screen real estate.
    [​IMG]

The black bar at the top, ugh.
    Yeah, modern problems require modern solutions but you can't forcefully zoom in on the screen to make it utilize the full screen.

QHD+ Resolution:

Do you have a habit of pixel-peeping?
    [​IMG]

QHD+ - sharper, clearer, better.
    Also, hey punch-hole!
    This device has got a QHD+ resolution (3168*1440), and things look sharper & clearer than ever before. It's a feast for your eyes.

120 Hz Wizardry:

Thanks to the 120 Hz Super Fluid refresh rate, everything flows like never before. Once you go 120 Hz, there's no looking back. You really can't go back to a device with a lower refresh rate than this. You'll immediately notice the stutters and jitters.

120 Hz redefines the definition of smoothness. Scrolling through websites and Instagram Feed couldn't have felt any better.

The smoothness has a lot to do with good Software and Hardware optimization. Something, we'll discuss in the later parts. But, OxygenOS surely utilizes this smooth display to step up your experience. From scrolling through your App Drawer to sliding the notification panel to anything, it's silky smooth.
    [​IMG]

Certainly smoother than your average pickup lines.
    Here's a video shot at 60 fps to show 120 Hz Wizardry in action-

This video is only half as smooth. In real life, double this smoothness.
    How cool is that?
    Also, unlike some other devices, you can choose QHD+ and 120 Hz refresh rate at the same time.

240 Hz Touch Sampling:

The OnePlus 8 Pro has a 240 Hz Touch Sampling Rate, which means that interacting with the device is a whole lot better.

For all those of you who are pondering with what this wizardry is, let me tell you that touch Sampling has to do with the speed at which a screen can register your touch and respond. Still, feeling confused? It's spidey-sense for a touch panel.

1300 Nits Peak Brightness:

Let me tell me how bright it gets. 1300 Nits of Peak Brightness translates to a burdenless viewing experience no matter the lighting condition. This bright display can handle harsh sunlight and maintain visibility throughout. Now you don't have to peep in to see who texted you while you're outdoors. Brighter = better.

I'll let the pictures do the talking here.
    [​IMG]

From bright...

[​IMG]

More bright...

[​IMG]

To being even brighter, outdoor visibility is awesome.

Something to note here though, I have experienced some kind of ghosting/screen retention. Although, it's quite normal for OLED displays to have this thing, to my surprise this effect can be noticed for quite a while in my OnePlus 8 Pro at least.

Color Accuracy:

OnePlus claims this panel to be the most color accurate. The JNCD rating is < 0.4, which should mean bonkers color accuracy. Any JNCD rating of less than 1 is indistinguishable to the human eye. You're not here for just these numbers, are you?

Well, let me tell you that I find OnePlus' claim to be fairly accurate at optimal or high brightness. For someone like me who likes to edit pictures on a mobile phone to designers, photographers, creators who do creative work, it certainly matters. Every picture you see here is edited on Lightroom & Snapseed using my OnePlus 8 Pro.

10-Bit Color Depth & HDR 10/10+:

Gone are the days of 8-bit displays. What if your screen could display over a billion different colors? It's 16 Million v. a Billion!

Already feeling colorful? Thanks to 10- Bit color depth of this phone, pictures are truer to life. They're richer, vibrant, and look more than magical. This brilliant display also supports HDR 10 or 10+ Playback. How cool is that?

MEMC & 4096 Levels of Automatic Brightness Control :

Another feature this display has is MEMC Fluid Motion. It's a technology featured in high-end TVs that inserts frames to a video file. Like, if there's something shot at 24 or 30 fps, it can be played at 60 or even 120 fps (OnePlus Laboratory -> Hyper motion smoothing, doesn't support QHD+). The solution used here to achieve this is hardware-based.

The real question here is if a film-maker shot something at 30 fps, they'd expect you to watch it at that frame rate to preserve that 'cinematic-feel' or storytelling.

No doubt MEMC can make regular videos smoother and more fluid, it's something that I personally keep turned off. I'm glad that the MEMC option isn't explicitly enabled whenever we play something.

However, I checked some action sequences with MEMC enabled and things looked even more fluid. I'm sure many of you would love to try out this feature and I totally recommend that you should. Although, sometimes I do find some kind of 'soap opera effect' going on. Hopefully, that'd be fixed with upcoming versions of OOS.

The phone has 4096 Levels of Automatic Brightness Control which definitely is a good thing but the lowest brightness setting with the recent software update seems to be not-so-low. Why you'd ask? Read on.

Curved Edges:

Let's talk about curves now. The display is more curved to the edges if compared to the last year's Pro but it has become a bit sharper. That means a more flat-screen area for interaction. Kudos to that!
    [​IMG]

Curvylicious!

[​IMG]

Fits and feels just right.

[​IMG]

OnePlus 7 Pro's screen facing up, OnePlus 8 Pro's screen facing down.
    Notice how the curved edges on the 8 Pro have become a tad sharper.

Having a curved display may be a blessing in disguise or a total pain.

For me, so far it's alright. Thanks to the curves, interacting with the display feels natural. Yes, I'm talking about the navigation gestures that we use every day. The curved display edges make holding the phone feels ergonomically better. Also, when a notification arrives, the edges glow - Horizon Light is what its called.
    [​IMG]

Curved all around.
    I have not found any issue with accidental touches and the palm and touch rejection at the edges are working perfectly fine.

However, maybe due to the touch rejection going on at the edges, sometimes I get bugged with on-screen controls (Lightroom Sliders or Instagram Text Sliders) being unresponsive. Hopefully, this experience will be made better with upcoming software versions.

Display Features:

Talking about the software features for the display, there are a whole lot of color customization options available so that one can fine-tune the screen colors according to their liking.

Also, something new to OnePlus is - Comfort Tone. It's very similar to Apple's True Tone and if enabled, it automatically adapts the screen color based on ambient light to ensure that the experience is comfortable in different environments. I have kept this feature enabled on my phone and damn, why wasn't this introduced before?

One thing I like the most about OnePlus phones is Reading Mode. You can choose to have a Chromatic effect or Monochrome effect for a better reading experience. It ensures that your eyes remain comfortable during prolonged reading sessions.

Issues:

No doubt the display is gorgeously beautiful to look at, to interact with, and whatnot. But, the unit that I received has some problems and no, it has not got any better with the latest software update.

Frankly, I don't care at all if a display is certified by XYZ Company or not. It's definitely good for boasting at launch presentations but sometimes, it doesn't translate to real-life performance.

For someone like me who likes to be on the dark side, things get bumpy. Whenever I set up a device, I turn on Dark Mode. But, surprisingly, with this flagship display, I have noticed some Black Crush issue. I know that this is a con of AMOLED displays but the issue is quite noticeable in my unit. Toggling the display to 60 Hz helps but that loses the point of being a super fluid display in the first place. Unfortunately, DC Dimming worsens my issue.
    [​IMG]

Houston, we have a problem.
    The good thing to note here is that the newly manufactured units don't see to have that problem and my co-reviewer @yashonagori 's device is perfectly fine.

Also, when at low brightness especially with dark theme enabled, I'm noticing some green/pink tint and banding issues as well.
    [​IMG]

Hmph! Is that a bar at the top?

[​IMG]

Black Saturation Test- pink is the new grey?
    App used: Display Tester.
    I'm following up with the OnePlus support team on this and they're analyzing the issue. I will let you know how it goes.

I think I've covered enough about the Display.

[​IMG]

Thanks to the punch-hole, it's IP68 rated now.
    Still, don't go around throwing water at it.
    TL; DR club, here you go -

1. 120 Hz Super Fluid Refresh Wizardry.
    2. 6.78" bright, vivid, colorful and gorgeous curved AMOLED display.
    3. Amazing color accuracy with 1300 Nits of Peak Brightness.
    4. Quite a small hole punch.
    5. Glaze at the curve is something I don't mind and can be ignored.
    6. Still figuring out the black crush, pink/tint issue on my unit with Customer Support.
    7. Good thing, the newly manufactured units don't seem to have the above-mentioned problem.

I'll be back with the next part, tomorrow.
    Stay tuned, see ya' around!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020 at 3:29 PM

4. AbhilashSaikia

Stickied Post
    Performance.jpg

3. Performance - Faster than Fast AF!

For a brand that is always known for being Fast & Smooth, performance is without-a-doubt beast-like.

Lead with Speed is the tagline they're using with the OnePlus 8 Series. Is it true?

It's a big and bold yes!

What's under the hood you'd ask? It's got Qualcomm's latest Snapdragon 865 chipset, 12 GB of class-leading LPDDR5 RAM, 256 GB of UFS 3.0 storage. However, there are other variants too, like the 6/128 GB or 8/128 GB configuration.

[​IMG]

Lucky enough to get the max-specced variant. Welcome, 256 GB.
    For someone like me who stores a lot of pictures offline, I think I'll fill it in no time.
    @DriesBleus, you get me right?

My OnePlus 7 Pro had 128 GB of storage, which is full to its neck now. I thought that 128 GB of storage would be enough for me, but I was wrong. I wish there had been an expandable storage option, in case!

OnePlus has cut no corners when it comes to class-leading hardware. What does that mean in real life, you'd ask. Don't worry, I won't bother you with less interesting stuff like comparison or benchmark scores. Do keep in mind that it's not about having the best hardware alone. You need good software optimization to maximize performance and have that smooth experience. I'll talk about the software in later parts.

Let me tell you that from day to day stuff to power-intensive tasks, everything is super smooth. The phone is a breeze to use. Everything loads quickly than ever before.

From the moment you boot up your phone to using Face or Fingerprint Unlock, it's effortless. Click photos, play games, switch between apps, reply to emails while browsing websites - all of that and more with no sweat!

You got things to do, I know. With this, you get things done in no time.

If we compare face unlocking speed to its predecessor, it's even faster (thanks to the lack of moving parts). If you'd ask how quick, I'd say - as quick as a wink!

Also, the Fingerprint Unlock experience feels swifter. It worked almost 9 out of 10 times, so no complaints. I should tell you that the fingerprint scanner area has become a tad bit larger too. Cool!

[​IMG]

Quick as silver!

Every photo you see here was edited on my OnePlus 8 Pro, and it didn't let me down even for a single moment. Everything feels snappier and quicker. Also, thanks to 12 GB of RAM and good RAM Management, every app remains in the background and won't take time to reload often. A problem that I faced with my earlier Pro solved by the New Pro.

[​IMG]

RAM Boost- Optimises RAM utilization based on usage.
    MEMC Hyper Motion Smoothing- Makes videos smooth AF.

This phone also features Wi-Fi 6, which should roughly translate to network speeds of up to 9.6 Gbps. How fast is that? Well, fast as flash! For some context, it's about 2.7 times faster than the Wi-Fi 5 standard.

As of now, I don't have Wi-Fi 6 compatible hardware to test it out. But, it's good to know that this thing is future-ready. Speaking of being future-ready, this phone packs an X55 5G modem as well. Hmph, 5G is a thing I can't test as of now but the good thing is, I'll be ready when it arrives in India.

Let's talk about the often unnoticed feature - Haptics. It is the most important thing that elevates the feel & interaction with a device. Without ideal haptic feedback, interacting with the device feels pale. OnePlus 8 Pro's new Haptic Vibration engine is 11% more powerful as the company claims. When I compared it with the OnePlus 7 Pro, I found the claim to be fairly correct. OnePlus has stepped up their haptic feedback game a lot, and oh boy! This phone gives some good feel to it.

Interacting with the device be it keyboard taps or the notification swipes, it feels so satisfying. Good job OnePlus!

A thing to note here - during my testing, I did run into some issues where the vibration felt hollow. I don't quite know how to explain it but when there's a lot of notifications coming in, the feedback overlaps and becomes indistinguishable. This needs some optimization, and I hope it'll get better.

All of that is excellent but you might ask how the haptics compare to the iPhones? While the haptic feedback with the new OnePlus is crazy good, it's still not there to the level of iPhones yet. Never Settle is what we say here! Is it good enough for me? Yeah, totally.

Let's talk about audio now. The all-new OnePlus is packed with powerful dual-stereo speakers which are great for media consumption.

[​IMG]

The earpiece speaker gets adequately loud.

The speaker and audio output are powered by Dolby Atmos, which should translate to bolder, crisper, and richer sound experience. The audio with headphones and through the speakers is satisfyingly good. To be honest, the audio output of 7 Pro was already good, but with 8 Pro, it's even better.

[​IMG]

Powered by Dolby Atmos.

The sound output from the speakers is a bit louder than it's predecessor. I find the output to be balanced and not tinny at all. It might lack some bass, but the voices are clear, trebles are detailed and overall feel wholesome. Here are two videos to demonstrate the output-

Thanks to Dolby Atmos optimization, you can customize the output to your liking.

Remember we talked about MEMC Technology in the Display section?

MEMC is quite power-intensive. So, to achieve MEMC tech with low power consumption, this beast has a dedicated hardware-based MEMC chipset which is used to generate frame in-between frames to make regular videos look breathtakingly fluid. Action-filled content will look more seamless.

You think that's all?​
    No, we're not done yet!

To elevate the gaming experience, there's Gaming Mode. Don't you get annoyed when someone texts or calls in between when you're just about to take that headshot in PUBG? I understand your pain. Gaming Mode solves all of that.

[​IMG]

Gaming Mode | Fnatic Mode
    Personally, I don't play many games on my phone but for all the gamers out there, this phone is a pleasure to game on.

With the Gaming Mode turned on, you can enable Graphics Optimisation to improve the overall gaming experience. It offers even more features like Haptic Feedback Enhancement & Intelligent Network Management. I tried playing Asphalt 9 with Haptic Feedback turned on and damn, it feels superbly awesome! To take things even further, this phone has Fnatic Mode to supercharge your gaming experience. If Gaming Mode is the OnePlus 8, Fnatic Mode is OnePlus 8 Pro.

Alright, to sum up, it's one of the best flagship performance experience in an Android smartphone. Period!

[​IMG]

Thanking for hanging in!
    You deserve a cup of Chai (Tea). Here you go -

[​IMG]

Btw, that's Gauripur Tea. Also, can you spot the '8'?

That's all for the Performance part of the review.

TL; DR club, here's your thing -

1. Fast & Smooth, no complaints.
    2. Best-in-class hardware.
    3. Haptic 2.0 for better haptic feedback.
    4. Powerful stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos support.
    5. Gaming Mode, Fnatic Mode - Good stuff for gamers.
    6. Best flagship performance experience in an Android smartphone.

Thanks a lot for reading. Stay tuned for the next part.

Adios!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020

5. AbhilashSaikia

Stickied Post
    Camera_Final.jpg

4. Camera - The Best OnePlus Camera Yet?

With the launch of the OnePlus 8 Series, the brand has seriously stepped up its camera game with the Pro.

Some people say that the previous OnePlus devices weren't up to the mark in camera performance but, I can't complain since most of the time, my previous OnePlus devices (OnePlus 5T & OnePlus 7 Pro) stood up to my liking.

[​IMG]

OnePlus 8 Pro | OnePlus 7 Pro

With the OnePlus 8 Pro's camera system, it not only takes breathtaking photos but videos too and have come a long way indeed.

They say it's a brand that is powered by the community. What does that mean to someone who's not familiar with OnePlus?

Well, let me tell you. I've seen community feedback taken very seriously. Thanks to countless feedback & the tireless minds of the Camera team, OnePlus has managed to deliver some amazing results by improving its optimizations and algorithms.

Not only this camera has improvements on the software side but also features some cutting edge hardware powering the camera system.

Please do bear in mind that due to the current situation, I wasn't able to test the camera as much I would have liked to. However, I tried to test as many scenarios as possible. I will be updating this thread as things get back to normal.

Oh wait, one more thing. To keep things real, the photos/videos are straight out of the camera and no editing or manipulation was performed except for just a lil' crop here and there. Also, the images are compressed to keep the size under 2MB.

Let's begin by discussing what powers this quad-camera beast.

[​IMG]

Four versatile cameras to see the world as you like.

The primary camera is a wide 48 MP Sony IMX 689 1/1.43" sensor with a large f/1.78 aperture. The IMX 689 is amongst the biggest image sensors for mobiles and the sensor size is seemingly large which should translate to a whole lot of improvements. Pictures taken on Auto Mode have a 12 MP, pixel-binned output to provide an improved dynamic range.

The ultra-wide camera is powered by the Sony IMX 568, a 48MP 1/2" sensor with an f/2.2-aperture lens.

The telephoto camera is kind of a hybrid. It's not true 3x optical zoom but hybrid zoom which provides 8MP output.

Coming to the fourth lens, it is a 5 MP color filter camera with an f/2.4-aperture lens. 5 MP seems to be potato quality and a weird hardware choice. But, this camera has got some tricks up its sleeve like the all-new Photochromatic Mode, various color filters/films for some creative photography.

On the front, there's a 16 MP Sony IMX 471 sensor. Well, the front camera hasn't changed much for a long time now. Despite the position, of course. Also, the system notifies you whenever an application is using the front camera by forming a circle-like notification ring animation around the front camera. Here is it in action -

The OnePlus 8 Pro does remarkably well in good lighting conditions and photos are vivid, well-exposed, colors are balanced (except for sometimes) and the detail level is great as well.

PRIMARY CAMERA

Speaking about the primary camera, it has got to be the most improved OnePlus camera yet. It is something that can very well compete with its flagship-level counterparts. It offers a beautiful depth of field, impressive dynamic range (thanks to UltraShot HDR), great color reproduction, and lots. Also, the low light imaging has improved a lot too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wide_compressed.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMG_20200622_153929.jpg

[​IMG]

12 MP, cropped in.

IMG_20200622_141338.jpg

IMG_20200619_124537.jpg

Notice how natural and beautiful the bokeh is.
    The depth of field is incredible.

[​IMG]

The low light performance of the primary camera is stunning.

IMG_20200621_171542.jpg

IMG_20200621_172759.jpg

All of these photos were taken in 12 MP Auto Mode.

During my testing, I didn't face any focusing issues with it and it was always spot-on and responsive. However, few shots turned out to be over-sharpened and the saturation got cranked up too. With the past OnePlus phones, it didn't handle the color Red very well but with the new Pro, this thing seems to be improved as well. In indoor lighting conditions, sometimes the color reproduction can be a hit or miss but it manages to capture bright and vibrant shots.

IMG_20200623_195130_compressed.jpg

Notice how the camera messed up the saturation in indoor lighting conditions.

IMG_20200622_154425.jpg

Primary lens - 12 MP Auto Mode, cropped in.
    In good lighting conditions, the color reproduction is on-point.

Overall, the shots are appealing, detailed, crisp and to my astonishment, gram ready.

[​IMG]

Consistent and impressive HDR, even at challenging conditions.

[​IMG]

The new OnePlus also features Smart Pet Capture.

ULTRA-WIDE CAMERA
    The 48 MP ultrawide angle camera comes with a 120 degree of FoV, which is a 3-degree jump from its previous generation. During daylight, the color harmony of this camera with the primary camera is quite good too, but the dynamic range is somewhat lower and you lose some detail at the edges despite the software correction.

[​IMG]

Ultrawide_compressed.jpg

[​IMG]

Effective and impressive HDR, with the ultrawide camera as well.

[​IMG]

48 MP, cropped in.

[​IMG]

The loss of detail at the shadows is visible.
    Color reproduction is on-point.

[​IMG]

Despite the low-light conditions, photos are sharp and vivid.

IMG_20200622_140447.jpg

IMG_20200621_183042.jpg

All of these photos were taken in 12 MP Auto Mode unless mentioned otherwise.
    TELEPHOTO CAMERA
    The 3x hybrid zoom camera output during good lighting, the output is pretty appealing. This camera can go up to 30x of digital zoom but, that's something me and a lot of other people wouldn't recommend. I say the images are useable till 10x. But do keep in mind that you need optimal lighting conditions for this to function well. At low light, it switches to the primary sensor and only functions when there's sufficient light.

Zoom_compressed.jpg

[​IMG]

Shadow and highlight details are well preserved.

[​IMG]

Oh, that flare!

IMG_20200621_183650.jpg

IMG_20200619_114115_compressed.jpg

The clouds look good but unrealistic.

IMG_20200619_133541.jpg

MACRO MODE
    This camera system offers a Super Macro Mode to get up close, observe, and bring out minute details about things all around us. If you ask how close you can get to a subject with this mode? Its 3 cms! This mode uses the ultra-wide sensor to get up so close.

Here are some sample shots -

[​IMG]

IMG_20200630_133746_compressed.jpg

[​IMG]

The photo is well detailed but looks over-saturated.

IMG_20200622_125602_compressed.jpg

IMG_20200619_161742_compressed.jpg

[​IMG]

IMG_20200630_134049_compressed.jpg

IMG_20200622_141020.jpg

IMG_20200624_165058.jpg

IMG_20200630_134819_compressed.jpg

IMG_20200620_170658.jpg

IMG_20200622_131556.jpg

Crazy, isn't it? It captures some incredibly detailed and crisp shots. Let me ask you something. Could you notice that some of the shots were cropped in?

I bet you didn't. Even though they were cropped by a large amount, the shots are still crisp and detailed. Kudos to OnePlus for that!

FRONT CAMERA

I am not a selfie person but the front camera software processing is prone to over-smoothening the facial detail and sometimes the photos aren't as vibrant to my liking. Nonetheless, the overall HDR has improved when compared to the previous generations but it surely needs more improvement. Is it the best selfie camera out there? No, I'm afraid. Also, while recording videos, it crops in quite a lot to achieve EIS.

NIGHTSCAPE

To help you when there's low light, there's Nightscape Mode and an advanced mode called 'Tripod Long exposure' which enables the camera to take 8s-30s for long exposure shots.

Here are some sample shots with the normal Nightscape mode, handheld-

IMG_20200701_204733.jpg

The Nightscape mode manages to pull up a lot of detail when there's seemingly no light.

IMG_20200620_184930.jpg

It surely sees better than me.

IMG_20200620_191829.jpg

IMG_20200621_183845.jpg

IMG_20200621_200217.jpg

IMG_20200621_201540.jpg

PRO MODE

The Camera app also features a PRO mode with manual controls where you can change ISO, White Balance, Shutter Speed, Focus, and Exposure to your liking. With this mode, you can shoot 12 MP, 48 MP, and even RAW photos! However, it is still limited to the Primary Lens, which makes me sad. I would like the auxiliary lenses to be supported in the PRO Mode. Also, one thing I miss in this PRO mode is focus peaking which helps you to confirm if a subject is in focus or not. I hope that OnePlus considers these things and implements them in future versions.

IMG_20200620_185056.jpg

PRO Mode, 12 MP.

ISO: 100, Exposure Time: 30", White Balance: Auto
    COLOR FILTERS

The camera app also got some inbuilt color filters for capturing some creative photos and the Photochrom (Infrared) filter is hidden there. The photochrom color filter which uses the fourth infrared lens is currently disabled and will be enabled soon with some tweaking.

COMPARISON

Here are some shots to compare the different focal lengths-

Wide_compressed.jpg

Main lens- 12 MP, Auto Mode.

Zoom_compressed.jpg

Zoom lens- 12 MP, Auto Mode.

IMG_20200622_155100_compressed.jpg

Ultrawide lens- 12 MP, Auto Mode.

IMG_20200622_155038_compressed.jpg

The color parity between the Ultrawide & Main lens is really stunning.

UltraWide_compressed.jpg

Wide_compressed.jpg

Zoom_compressed.jpg

IMG_20200622_132545.jpg

IMG_20200622_132534.jpg

UltraWide_compressed.jpg

Wide_compressed.jpg

Telephoto_compressed.jpg

Ultra_compressed.jpg

Ultrawide
    lens- 12 MP, Auto Mode.

Wide_compressed.jpg

Telephoto_compressed.jpg

Before we talk about the video capabilities of the phone, here's a timelapse. It's edited on my phone and uploaded directly from it -

IMG_6935.jpg

BTS: It took 1 hour to capture that timelapse.

VIDEO

Let's talk about the video segment now.

OnePlus has introduced Single Frame 3-HDR technology for a better dynamic range while recording videos. This is completely new to OnePlus and when I first came to know about this, it got me really excited since OnePlus phones have struggled with video in the past. Gone are those days!

Check it out for yourself -

HDR Video Sample - Primary Lens, 1080p 30 FPS

NON-HDR Video Sample - Primary Lens, 1080p 30 FPS

HDR Video Sample - Primary Lens, 1080p 30 FPS

One thing to note here is that dynamic video only supports 1080P 30 FPS and 4K 30 FPS and is limited to the primary camera only. The video modes that are available on this phone are - 1080P 30/60 FPS, 4K 30/60 FPS & 4K CINE 30/60 FPS. The CINE 21:9 aspect ratio is a new and welcome addition. We've seen flagships that are capable of 8K recording but that's something the 8 Pro doesn't feature yet.

The video-stabilization has come a long way and is surely better than ever. Goodbye, shaky videos!
    Here's a video shot at 1080p 30fps with HDR enabled to demonstrate that-

Apart from OIS and EIS, to make things even smoother, there is Super Stable Mode which provides gimbal-like stability and this mode has improved by far if compared to the previous generation. But, the video does crop in by a considerable amount and looks best with adequate lighting conditions. Otherwise, you can see some noise and grains.

The auto-focus system has been a breeze to use and I have not faced any issue with it except with the Telephoto lens when sometimes it tends to hunt for focus.

Here's a quick focus test with the primary lens- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEQtt2sCUF0

Check out this video shot with the Zoom lens at 1080p 30ps - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDr01iukfTQ

I'm really stunned by the color reproduction and stabilization even on the Telephoto lens.

This phone also features three microphones for improved audio clarity and has got features like digital audio zoom to enhance immersiveness. Having three microphones help in reducing ambient background noise for a much richer clarity.

The OnePlus 8 Pro also offers slow-motion and timelapse capabilities.

Slow-motion mode offers 480 FPS at 720 P and 240 FPS at 1080P. The recording is limited to one minute. The Timelapse mode is pretty basic and it lacks control where you can tweak the time-interval between consecutive shots (photos). You can, however, speed up the timelapse video to your liking in post.

This phone also supports recording videos in HEVC format for high-efficiency video recording.

The video performance is really good and has improved a lot if compared to previous generations. I'll be testing out the video capabilities in-depth when the situation is normal and will keep you updated.

Summary:

The camera implementation is really versatile and there's no noticeable shutter lag in good lighting conditions due to the powerful hardware and software optimizations. Also, the burst mode of this phone can take up to 99 photos in a jiffy. Cool!

I noticed that the camera works better with the 3rd Party applications, so win-win!

Also, while taking pictures with the Super Macro Mode, I felt the need to be able to manually control it. To that, we say Never Settle! For some weird reason, the Super Macro Mode kept toggling on and off and it doesn't like to fine on fine subjects like water droplets very quickly.

The camera UI has been revamped but even to some basic settings, it requires an extra step or two. Here's a video to show the extra steps-
    For a company that wants to provide burdenless experience, I'm afraid this isn't quite burdenless. Hmph! I don't know the source of inspiration for this.

The software processing still needs some tweaking and I hope it to better with time. The video capabilities have improved a lot but still, there's scope for improvement.

Super Stable & Time-lapse modes support 1080 30FPS and 4K 30 FPS. During my testing, while I was recording videos in 4K, the phone did heat quite a lot.

TL; DR club, -

1. The quad-camera implementation is really versatile. The photos are vivid, well-exposed, colors are balanced (except for sometimes) and the detail level is great as well.

2. Color parity has improved between the 3 lenses but sometimes it can be inconsistent.

3. UltraShot HDR is really impressive.

4. 3-Frame HDR for enhancing video capabilities. Good dynamic range with videos as well.

5. Super-Stable Mode for gimbal-like footage. However, there are some minor trade-offs.

6. Nightscape Mode is optimized for Cityscapes.

7. Stabilization for video is remarkably good especially at 1080P & 4K 30 FPS.

8. DND Mode doesn't activate while recording videos. So, incoming calls and notifications might ruin your video.

Long story short, OnePlus has managed to surprise me with the overall improvements in regard to the Camera performance and delivered quite a promising package overall. The brand has taken some steps forward in the right direction, introduced some meaningful changes and the OnePlus 8 Pro camera manages to do well in quite a lot of scenarios from daylight to lowlight, making it an impressive camera.

That's all for the Camera part as of now. Every picture tells a story so keep clicking.

I'll be taking this camera on multiple journeys and I'd love you to join me on Instagram - @heyyabhilash to follow along and see how the camera performs in diverse scenarios.

IMG_7036_comp.jpg

Thanks a lot for reading, take care.

I'll catch you guys the next time!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020

6. AbhilashSaikia

Stickied Post
    Battery.jpg

5. Battery and Charging :
    WARP it up - Wired or Wireless

For quite a while, OnePlus has been known for its blazing-fast charging speeds. A day's power in half an hour, if you remember.

Keeping your phone plugged-in overnight is too dated now. I plug in my phone when I wake up and within 30 minutes of Warp Charge, I'm all set till the evening. For all those Hypertaskers out there, I feel you when you need to rush out quickly and your phone is just about to die. Well, you don't have to worry when you have flash-speed like Warp Charge with you.

[​IMG]

DASH didn't let me down & WARP never fails to impress me.

[​IMG]

The Warp Charge Adapter.
    Btw, it looks like OnePlus forgot to update their new VI here. Hmph, inconsistency!

So, what is this Warp Charge thing I'm talking about?

No, I'm not talking about rocket science here. Warp Charge is a proprietary charging technique for OnePlus devices. It is quick. Well, how quick you'd ask.

You plug in your phone to charge at 1% when you're going in for a shower. You come out and check, its 60% already!

Yes, that quick! Warp Charge 30T gives you up to 50% of power in 23 minutes of charging and a full charge under an hour. All of that without breaking a sweat. The phone remains cool to touch and the same charging speed can be noticed while the screen is on or off.

[​IMG]

The battery section also displays the time remaining until the phone is fully charged.​

The OnePlus 8 Pro features a massive 4510 mAh battery that should hold enough juice to power you throughout the day.

Do keep in mind that battery life or Screen-on Time may differ from person to person because it depends on a lot of factors ranging from usage pattern to mobile network quality and more.

I consider my usage pattern to be moderate and sometimes heavy. Due to the lockdown, it surely is on the heavier side for sure. However, I manage to get 6 to 7 hours of screen-on time with FHD+ resolution and 120 Hz turned on (who'd want to lose on 120 Hz goodness?).

[​IMG]

FHD+ Resolution, 120 Hz Refresh Rate.​

However, at QHD+ resolution, the battery life took quite a hit and the SOT averaged to about 5.5-6 hours. The good thing is that you can top it off in a jiffy.

[​IMG]

QHD+ Resolution, 120 Hz Refresh Rate.
    The battery life has certainly improved when compared to the 7 Pro with a similar usage pattern. I say that it'd last a day with moderate usage, and light users would be able to use it for a day and a half.

There's more than just super-fast wired charging this time. With the 8 Pro, OnePlus has introduced Warp Charge 30 Wireless which should charge the phone from 1-50% under 30 minutes. Yup! You heard it right. Just 30 minutes!

I do not have the Wireless charger as of now with me. So, I wasn't able to test it. If we put things to comparison, OnePlus' Wireless charging is so quick that some brands can't compete even with a wire plugged in.

The phone also features Reverse Wireless Charging (max. 3W) for charging your accessories or any other device which supports wireless charging.

[​IMG]

When other wireless charging devices let you down, there's OnePlus to pick you up.
    This feature is intended for emergency situations or to top off your
    Qi-enabled wireless accessories.

[​IMG]

As the saying goes, sharing is caring.​

Also, there's a new feature called Optimized Charging that takes care of things for you if you're the kind who loves to leave your phone plugged in overnight. Optimized charging learns your daily schedule and tops your battery to 100% a few moments before you wake up in the morning.

[​IMG]

This feature optimises the charging pattern by adapting to your habits.​

This has been implemented to improve the battery’s health and to reduce battery load. I'd have loved to customise the trigger percentage for optimised charging though.

Notice how the phone refuses to charge beyond 80% at that moment.
    Smart, isn't it?​

To sum it up, this phone should last you a whole day. But, if you're a heavy gamer or media consumer like me who loves to binge-watch TV shows, there's Warp Charge to the rescue.

Someone might ask if this is the quickest charging phone and I'm afraid that it's not if compared to the competition which features over 50W of charging power. Well, to that we say, Never Settle.

For my TL;DR club mates, here are some pointers-

1. 4510 mAh battery.
    2. A day's power in half an hour still stands true.
    3. Warp Charge 30T gives you up to 50% of power in just 23 minutes.
    4. 6 to 7 hours of screen on time with FHD+ resolution and 120 Hz refresh rate.
    5. 5.5-6 hours of screen on time with QHD+ resolution and 120 Hz refresh rate.
    6. Warp Charge 30 Wireless, capable of charging from 1-50% under 30 minutes.
    7. Supports Reverse Wireless Charging.
    8. Optimized Charging Feature to optimize the charging pattern by adapting to your usage habits.

Thanks a ton for reading. Here are some more photos -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll see you with a bit of fresh Oxygen in the next part!

Take care!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020 at 10:02 PM

7. AbhilashSaikia
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jun 30, 2020

Stickied Post
    AbhilashSaikia , Jun 30, 2020 :
    OxygenOS.jpg

6. OxygenOS: Fast, Smooth & Efficient

OxygenOS has got to be my favorite Android skin not because it gives a stock-like feel but also because it has some meaningful and intuitive customizations to it.

I have been using OxygenOS for more than three years now, and it hasn't changed much in the look & feel, but there are tons of optimizations to refine the user experience. I prefer it more than the stock Android OS. It is fast, smooth, and efficient.

OxygenOS offers the right balance between customizability while preserving the minimalistic stock-like feel to it. It has almost everything you need and nothing you don't. Well, almost... read on.

OnePlus 8 Pro is currently running on Android 10 but for all those geeks out there, Android 11 beta for it is available already.

OOS has got almost everything that Google has to offer with Android 10 but the cherry on top, there are a lot of features that make the user experience a whole lot better.

If you remember, I told you in the Performance part of my review that raw hardware power can't do anything without good software to back it up. OOS is blazingly-fast and has been designed with fluidity first approach. Thanks to over 280 powerful optimizations, sleek transitions & animations, everything feels swift and in a word - smooth.

Unlike a lot of Android skins out there, OxygenOS does not bog upon the performance, and everything feels intuitive.

I've already discussed some features like Comfort Tone, Optimised Charging in the previous sections. Anyway, let's discuss what else OxygenOS offers-

OnePlus Switch

I know how big of a hassle it can be to switch phones and migrate all of the photos, videos, and files. Here, OnePlus Switch comes in handy to make the migration or setup process seamless.

[​IMG]

Customizations

With a device as personal as a mobile phone, you don't want to miss out on customisability. OOS offers you a lot of customization options from Lock Screen to System customization. Some of the available customizations are-

1. Clock Styles

[​IMG]

2. Fingerprint Animations

3. Horizon Light

[​IMG]
    4. Accent Color

5. Tone

6. System icons

7. Icon Pack

8. Font

[​IMG]
    Live Wallpapers

OxygenOS also brings exclusive Real-time Live wallpapers that change hues according to the weather conditions.

[​IMG]

Gestures

Navigation Gestures

There is an option to choose between the Button Navigation bar or Intuitive Full-Screen Gestures.

Screen-off Gestures

How cool would it be to turn on your flashlight, control your music, or more with your screen turned off?

[​IMG]

Screen off gestures got you covered. It offers Music Control, Double-tap to wake, and you can even set custom app actions.​

Dark Mode

Under OnePlus Laboratory, there's an option to enable dark tone in more apps that should help to maintain a consistent experience even with third-party apps that don't natively support dark/black mode.

[​IMG]

Ambient Display

I know a lot of you might miss AOD especially when coming from a Pixel or Samsung device. AOD is a feature that is still being worked upon, as OnePlus says.

[​IMG]
    Ambient Display shows the clock, other contextual information or notifications when you pick up your device or tap on the screen.

Reading Mode

This mode helps to reduce eye-strain by cutting harmful blue-light or making the display monochrome. For someone who likes to read a lot of content on your phone, this feature comes in handy.

[​IMG]

Live Caption

This feature of Android 10 detects speech in media and generates captions automatically. This proves to be very useful at times when you can't listen to the audio but still need a way to figure out the content.

[​IMG]
    Parallel Apps

Create clones of supported apps with ease.

[​IMG]
    Zen Mode

It says - "Phone down, enjoy life" which is pretty explanatory. It like an advanced Digital Wellbeing feature that helps to take a break from your phone.

[​IMG]

With this mode turned on, some essential functions like phone calls and camera are still accessible.

OnePlus Roaming

This feature aims to provide unmatched connectivity no matter the part of the world you are traveling to. It provides global data plans without having the need for an additional SIM card so that one can stay connected.

[​IMG]

Hidden Space, App Locker & Lockbox

There are solutions to keep your sensitive data/applications away from prying eyes.

hidden.jpg

OnePlus Shelf

This is more like a hub on the left-most page of your home screen that offers a lot of widgets like Cricket Scores, Dashboard for checking basic information like data used or storage available, Parking Location, or you can add custom widgets to it as well. There's also a feature to take quick notes.

[​IMG]
    However, if you don't like this feature you are free to keep it disabled. The OnePlus Launcher offers an option to replace it with Google Discover or keep it turned off altogether.

Pocket Mode

[​IMG]
    India Specific Features

Work-Life Balance

At times you may feel the need to be able to control how your phone behaves during working hours or when you're enjoying life.

[​IMG]

Work-Life Balance is an advanced DND feature that makes it possible to prioritize notifications based on some custom profiles, network type, or location.

OnePlus Cloud

OnePlus has introduced a cloud service for backup and sync facilities among your OnePlus devices.

[​IMG]
    With this, you can sync Photos, Contacts, or even Notes.​

Personally, I don't use OnePlus Cloud since Google already offers a backup solution for Contacts, Photos, and Videos. Also, I prefer Google Keep rather than OnePlus Notes because-

1) It has a much better web UI.
    2) If sync is enabled for OP Notes, there's a weird popup notification from time to time that doesn't seem to go away.
    Nonetheless, some may find this service appealing.

Issues

Alright, onto some serious stuff now. As the saying goes, all that glitters is not gold. OxygenOS isn't what it used to be.

With the launch of the Red Cable Club, a basic system app like Settings has become a place that feels no less than an advertisement hub.

[​IMG]
    While some of the benefits that Red Cable Club offers are really appealing and useful, I don't find it necessary to be baked into the Settings App.

Also, I've run into issues where the Settings App would take a while to load because of that section. This can be noticed on the previous generation devices as well.

Let's talk about OnePlus' bloat-free approach, something that they are still so proud of.

1) Pre-loaded apps like Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, Kindle, Prime Video, Google One, Amazon.​

All of these apps can be installed from the Play Store if required. So I don't see the need for these apps to be pre-loaded.
    2) Netflix as a system app, seriously? Hmph, now don't tell me it's there to enhance HDR playback.

3) Bloat within Game Space.

[​IMG]

OnePlus has shamelessly introduced 'Instant Games' & 'More Games', two unnecessary additions in my opinion by copying it directly from an OS that claims itself to be Colorful.

No that's not all. They've even taken it a step further by pre-installing Epic Games! Well, this might be due to their recent partnership but OnePlus should stick to their initial philosophy.​

Would you call that to be bloat-free? I leave it for you to decide.

A company that always strives to be burdenless, this looks like a burden to me, and a lot of people out there are complaining about it too. OnePlus, it's time to act on user-feedback again!

I think I've covered enough about OxygenOS. If you have any questions, please drop a comment and I'll be happy to answer it.

[​IMG]
    OxygenOS- a constant pursuit for refinement.

TL; DR
    club, here you go -

1. OxygenOS has got to be my favorite Android skin not because it gives a stock-like feel but also because it has some meaningful and intuitive customizations to it.
    2. OOS packs in more than 280 powerful optimizations, sleek transitions & animations so that everything feels swift and in a word - smooth.
    3. One-Handed Mode is still something that's left to be implemented.
    4. Gallery Doesn't support slow/motion or timelapse editing.
    5. Occasional Bugs here and there. For example, the setting for 'Apps to Display in Full-Screen' won't populate the list of all apps.

Summing up, OxygenOS is a powerful, impressive & light Android Skin. It manages to be easy for newbies by being simple to use but still provides a lot of granular controls for the power users who like to dive in.

One more fact I like about OnePlus is their software support and update cycle. They're quick to roll out updates for its devices.

Not every skin is perfect but OxygenOS gets a lot of it right. Kudos to that!

Thanks for reading! I'll see you tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020 at 10:18 PM

8. AbhilashSaikia
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jul 7, 2020 at 9:05 AM

Stickied Post
    AbhilashSaikia , Jul 7, 2020 at 9:05 AM :
    Summary_2.jpg

7. Summary: The Wow | The Okay | The Ugh

From Flagship Killers to Flagships, OnePlus has come a long way. And, my review has come a long way as well.

It's time for a quick look at it with WARP speed.

The Wow

Performance

The tagline 'Lead with Speed' is without-a-doubt true. It's blazingly fast and fluid, all across. Thanks to powerful hardware and software optimizations, you won't get a chance to complain about the performance of this phone.

Design

The OnePlus 8 Pro is a work of art. It's sleek, smooth, and gorgeous. The Glacial Green & Ultramarine Blue feature alluring matte goodness while the Onyx Black can form magical patterns with light. Every color has got a different story to tell. The phone feels ergonomic to hold and to use. This phone might be massive for some people out there but, the weight management is superb.

120 Hz Fluid Display

The 120 Hz Super Fluid Display is as smooth as silk and faster than a hare. The high refresh rate paired with 240 Hz Touch Sampling elevates the user experience to the next level. Once you go 120 Hz, there's no looking back. This display can handle harsh sunlight and maintain visibility throughout without any hassle.

Speakers

The dual stereo speakers powered by Dolby Atmos pack a punch and are great for media consumption. It might lack some bass, but the voices are clear, trebles are detailed and overall feel wholesome.

Haptics

The strong haptic motor elevates the feel & interaction with the device and OnePlus has stepped up their haptic feedback game a lot and it makes for an immersive experience.

Battery Life & Charging

With moderate usage, I get about 6 to 7 hours of screen-on time with FHD+ resolution and 120 Hz resolution which is pretty impressive in my opinion.

Then there's crazy fast Warp Charge 30T and Warp Wireless to get you going in no time.

Camera

I'm really impressed by how matured OnePlus has become with cameras. This year, it offers an impressive package. The primary camera has got to be the most improved OnePlus camera yet. The color parity between the three lenses has improved a lot and I hope it to get better with time.

Be it photos or videos, it delivers some amazing results.

Water Resistance Certification

An official IP rating is new for the brand and the 8 Pro is IP68 rated.

Software

I've been amazed by the performance and overall feel of OxygenOS. It's my favorite Android skin so far and it has some meaningful and intuitive customizations to it.

Also, OnePlus has a track record of providing good software support and fast updates.

The Okay

Camera Bump

The camera module sticks out a lot and things might get bumpy without a case. For people who like to use a phone without a case, this might be problematic. I don't mind it much.

No Expandable Memory Slot

There's no expandable storage option in case you need more than 256 GB of storage. With cloud backup solutions being attractively priced and Google Photos, I don't think that this should be a problem for most of you.

Included Case

The in-box silicon case becomes pale after a while of usage and it doesn't offer next level drop protection.

The Ugh

There's not much to say in this part but, no phone is perfect. So, here you go -

Display Issues

I can notice black crush, banding, and uniformity issues in low brightness. I'll keep you updated if things get better.

Bloatware in OOS

All that glitters is not gold and OxygenOS isn't what it used to be.

1) Pre-loaded apps like Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, Kindle, Prime Video, Google One, Amazon.​

2) Netflix as a system app.

3) Red Cable Club section baked into system settings application.

3) Bloat within Game Space-

a. More Games - Game store, seriously?

b. Instant Games, an unnecessary addition.

c. Epic Games Application is pre-installed.​

No Bundled Adapters

Unfortunately or fortunately, gone are those days of the trusty old headphone jack. OnePlus doesn't include any kind of Type-C to 3.5mm or USB dongles in the box. With a flagship pricing, I wish to see them included in the package.

The Verdict

The OnePlus 8 Pro has got a lot of things right and has surprised me with how mature of a Pro it is, in every aspect. OnePlus has cut no corners in providing the latest hardware specs and has developed a lot on the areas it lacked, which is awesome.

In short, it delivers a wholesome Android experience. I hope that the things that still need improvement are worked upon by the brand.

The OnePlus 8 Pro is an attractive choice for someone who's looking for a polished overall experience, intuitive software, and powerful hardware. The camera experience has evolved a lot and will not disappoint you in most scenarios. For someone who's looking for an Android phone at this price segment, I find no reason as to why they shouldn't opt for this.

If you're looking for a less expensive package, then you can opt for the OnePlus 7T or the OnePlus 8 (Only if you manage to grab some discounts; I wish it shared the same camera system as it's elder sibling). I don't feel like the 7 Series and the 7T series users will be needing an upgrade soon as they're still powerful and great devices.

By the way, for those users who are looking for a great value for money device with one-of-a-kind user experience, things are gonna get exciting with the launch of the OnePlus Nord Series. So, keep an eye out for it.

I still can't believe that I wrote so much and this is the summary of my review. It was quite a journey and I wish to see you again soon.

I hope that you enjoyed reading or watching the review. If you have any queries about this device, I'll be more than happy to help you. I can't thank you enough for sticking with me so far.

Thanks once again for reading, take care and most importantly -

Never Settle.

______________________​

Acknowledgment

I would like to thank OnePlus for providing me this opportunity to be a part of this community tradition. A big thanks to @Zach X. , @dsmonteiro for their constant support and help. It's rightly said that THE LAB is much more than just a contest. Thanks to this, I've met some incredibly talented minds who are from diverse backgrounds. I would like to express my gratitude to my fellow lab reviewers @MosheG1 @G_Bédouin_Axel_vZuV @yashonagori @Black Forest Ham @PuCiNhOOO @DriesBleus @Pchambers89 @masenov1 @DmkCoggin for their constant help and support.

A million thanks once again to @AparajSaikia , @Bhargavesque , @Lavin A. , @Darshan D. for helping me throughout this project. Well, my appreciation also extends to some people who aren't here in the Forums. Thank you, everyone. I owe you big time!

@YRJ , @Starcommander, @Shivang Joshi, @Batman360, and all of my Community friends- without you, I wouldn't have reached this far. I truly appreciate your help and support.

This isn't the end, but I believe this is the start of an even more exciting journey.

Love,

Abhilash.

[​IMG]