[The Lab] - OnePlus 8 Pro Review by Abhilash Saikia

1. Deepakmudaraddi
    Gingerbread Jul 5, 2020

2. Trex_kasa , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Jul 5, 2020 :
    Kinda lengthy but really want to APPRECIATE for the EFFORT you put on review.
    Got mine on 04 jul and facing the same Display Issues, finding some thread regarding the same and found your massive review and stuck on it😋

BTW ask your friend for his manufacturing date, mine was from June.

AbhilashSaikia likes this.
  3. AbhilashSaikia
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jul 5, 2020

AbhilashSaikia , Jul 5, 2020 :
    I appreciate your words, YRJ! I can't explain how grateful I am for your support. Thanks a lot.

Ay' thanks my boi! 🤘🏻 You're such an inspiration.

That's very kind of you, Dan. Thank you.

Thanks a bunch. :D

You’re awesome, Axel!
    Those suggestions are because of our endless discussions. I'm thankful to have met you.

Hey Wonderwoman! :D

Thanks a lot, I'm glad that you like them. I'll be updating some more pictures soon after I'm done with my online examinations.

Haha! Chai over coffee, anytime!

Wonderwoman13, dan_0272, YRJ and 2 others like this.
  4. AbhilashSaikia

AbhilashSaikia , Jul 5, 2020 :
    Hey Trex!
    Thank you so much. I appreciate your thoughts.
    Haha! As I started writing, I couldn't stop myself from discussing how powerful of a package this phone is. Btw, I feel you. That's why at the end of every section there's a TL;DR part for some quick thoughts and opinions. Just like this -

I'll try and update the same. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hey Sudip! You can use the 'Notify Me' feature on the product page to know when it becomes available.

Merci beaucoup. Bonjour collègue utilisateur OnePlus. Je suis sûr que vous l'aimeriez.

@G_Bédouin_Axel_vZuV I hope Google translate is correct ;-)

That's so cool!

Thanks.

Thank you!

G_Bédouin_Axel_vZuV likes this.
  5. G_Bédouin_Axel_vZuV

G_Bédouin_Axel_vZuV , via OnePlus 8 Pro Onyx Black , Jul 5, 2020 :
    not bad at all [e]1f609[/e]

AbhilashSaikia and G_plusone like this.
  6. tobias14
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 5, 2020

AbhilashSaikia and G_plusone like this.
  7. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Jul 6, 2020

YRJ , Jul 6, 2020 :
    You don't have to say buddy! 👊

8. sudip_1989
    Cupcake Jul 6, 2020

9. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jul 6, 2020

Starcommander , Jul 6, 2020 :
    Thanks @AbhilashSaikia for the honest review about display and software.

The display (was) the only reason I am not suggesting OnePlus to my friends but now I have to also reconsider saying OxygenOS is best software with so many bloats..

10. SubhashNayak
    Honeycomb Jul 6, 2020

SubhashNayak , Jul 6, 2020 :
    Took a while to read the complete review. So well done @AbhilashSaikia . Top Notch details in the review. MindBlown with the pictures you have captured and the video edits included. Very professional. Stunning work bro. #NeverSettle

AbhilashSaikia and Starcommander like this.
  11. amit020783
    Cupcake Jul 7, 2020

amit020783 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 7, 2020 :
    hi Abhilash,have u noticed that the horizon reference line in pro cam on one plus8 pro is nog aligned correctly is this a clmmon issue which will get corrected with am OTa update or its something serious

12. AbhilashSaikia
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jul 7, 2020

Stickied Post
    AbhilashSaikia , Jul 7, 2020 :
    Summary_2.jpg

7. Summary: The Wow | The Okay | The Ugh

From Flagship Killers to Flagships, OnePlus has come a long way. And, my review has come a long way as well.

It's time for a quick look at it with WARP speed.

The Wow

Performance

The tagline 'Lead with Speed' is without-a-doubt true. It's blazingly fast and fluid, all across. Thanks to powerful hardware and software optimizations, you won't get a chance to complain about the performance of this phone.

Design

The OnePlus 8 Pro is a work of art. It's sleek, smooth, and gorgeous. The Glacial Green & Ultramarine Blue feature alluring matte goodness while the Onyx Black can form magical patterns with light. Every color has got a different story to tell. The phone feels ergonomic to hold and to use. This phone might be massive for some people out there but, the weight management is superb.

120 Hz Fluid Display

The 120 Hz Super Fluid Display is as smooth as silk and faster than a hare. The high refresh rate paired with 240 Hz Touch Sampling elevates the user experience to the next level. Once you go 120 Hz, there's no looking back. This display can handle harsh sunlight and maintain visibility throughout without any hassle.

Speakers

The dual stereo speakers powered by Dolby Atmos pack a punch and are great for media consumption. It might lack some bass, but the voices are clear, trebles are detailed and overall feel wholesome.

Haptics

The strong haptic motor elevates the feel & interaction with the device and OnePlus has stepped up their haptic feedback game a lot and it makes for an immersive experience.

Battery Life & Charging

With moderate usage, I get about 6 to 7 hours of screen-on time with FHD+ resolution and 120 Hz resolution which is pretty impressive in my opinion.

Then there's crazy fast Warp Charge 30T and Warp Wireless to get you going in no time.

Camera

I'm really impressed by how matured OnePlus has become with cameras. This year, it offers an impressive package. The primary camera has got to be the most improved OnePlus camera yet. The color parity between the three lenses has improved a lot and I hope it to get better with time.

Be it photos or videos, it delivers some amazing results.

Water Resistance Certification

An official IP rating is new for the brand and the 8 Pro is IP68 rated.

Software

I've been amazed by the performance and overall feel of OxygenOS. It's my favorite Android skin so far and it has some meaningful and intuitive customizations to it.

Also, OnePlus has a track record of providing good software support and fast updates.

The Okay

Camera Bump

The camera module sticks out a lot and things might get bumpy without a case. For people who like to use a phone without a case, this might be problematic. I don't mind it much.

No Expandable Memory Slot

There's no expandable storage option in case you need more than 256 GB of storage. With cloud backup solutions being attractively priced and Google Photos, I don't think that this should be a problem for most of you.

Included Case

The in-box silicon case becomes pale after a while of usage and it doesn't offer next level drop protection.

The Ugh

There's not much to say in this part but, no phone is perfect. So, here you go -

Display Issues

I can notice black crush, banding, and uniformity issues in low brightness. I'll keep you updated if things get better.

Bloatware in OOS

All that glitters is not gold and OxygenOS isn't what it used to be.

1) Pre-loaded apps like Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, Kindle, Prime Video, Google One, Amazon.​

2) Netflix as a system app.

3) Red Cable Club section baked into system settings application.

3) Bloat within Game Space-

a. More Games - Game store, seriously?

b. Instant Games, an unnecessary addition.

c. Epic Games Application is pre-installed.​

No Bundled Adapters

Unfortunately or fortunately, gone are those days of the trusty old headphone jack. OnePlus doesn't include any kind of Type-C to 3.5mm or USB dongles in the box. With a flagship pricing, I wish to see them included in the package.

The Verdict

The OnePlus 8 Pro has got a lot of things right and has surprised me with how mature of a Pro it is, in every aspect. OnePlus has cut no corners in providing the latest hardware specs and has developed a lot on the areas it lacked, which is awesome.

In short, it delivers a wholesome Android experience. I hope that the things that still need improvement are worked upon by the brand.

The OnePlus 8 Pro is an attractive choice for someone who's looking for a polished overall experience, intuitive software, and powerful hardware. The camera experience has evolved a lot and will not disappoint you in most scenarios. For someone who's looking for an Android phone at this price segment, I find no reason as to why they shouldn't opt for this.

If you're looking for a less expensive package, then you can opt for the OnePlus 7T or the OnePlus 8 (Only if you manage to grab some discounts; I wish it shared the same camera system as it's elder sibling). I don't feel like the 7 Series and the 7T series users will be needing an upgrade soon as they're still powerful and great devices.

By the way, for those users who are looking for a great value for money device with one-of-a-kind user experience, things are gonna get exciting with the launch of the OnePlus Nord Series. So, keep an eye out for it.

I still can't believe that I wrote so much and this is the summary of my review. It was quite a journey and I wish to see you again soon.

I hope that you enjoyed reading or watching the review. If you have any queries about this device, I'll be more than happy to help you. I can't thank you enough for sticking with me so far.

Thanks once again for reading, take care and most importantly -

Never Settle.

______________________​

Acknowledgment

I would like to thank OnePlus for providing me this opportunity to be a part of this community tradition. A big thanks to @Zach X. , @dsmonteiro for their constant support and help. It's rightly said that THE LAB is much more than just a contest. Thanks to this, I've met some incredibly talented minds who are from diverse backgrounds. I would like to express my gratitude to my fellow lab reviewers @MosheG1 @G_Bédouin_Axel_vZuV @yashonagori @Black Forest Ham @PuCiNhOOO @DriesBleus @Pchambers89 @masenov1 @DmkCoggin for their constant help and support.

A million thanks once again to @AparajSaikia , @Bhargavesque , @Lavin A. , @Darshan D. for helping me throughout this project. Well, my appreciation also extends to some people who aren't here in the Forums. Thank you, everyone. I owe you big time!

@YRJ , @Starcommander, @Shivang Joshi, @Batman360, and all of my Community friends- without you, I wouldn't have reached this far. I truly appreciate your help and support.

This isn't the end, but I believe this is the start of an even more exciting journey.

Love,

Abhilash.

[​IMG]