[THE LAB] - OnePlus 8 Pro Review by Dries Bleus

1. jlasensiofi
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 21, 2020

DriesBleus likes this.
  2. AbhilashSaikia
    Backstage Star Award 2021 Apr 21, 2020

AbhilashSaikia , Apr 21, 2020 :
    @DriesBleus First things first, you know the stuff that you do! Great product photos.
    You've expressed many things, just with the photos. Halfway through your work and I'm like - this is amazing! I'm really impressed.
    Waiting for what's next.

OnePlus optimised charging feature has got you well covered for this ;-)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020

3. ZeldaKing
    Cupcake Apr 21, 2020

ZeldaKing , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Great review, can't wait to get my hands on the 8 pro, does anyone know if the Ultramarine Blue colour ever be available in the UK and if so, when?

DriesBleus likes this.
  4. DriesBleus
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 21, 2020

DriesBleus , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Thank you so much for your kind words Abhilash! :)

...Oh so THAT'S what that optimized charging option is for! :) I had that turned on but didn't really know what it does haha! That's insane... Gotta update that in my post. Thanks for the tip, you see these are the things where you see the difference between someone like you who actually knows what he's talking about, and a OnePlus novice like me! ;p

5. DriesBleus
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 21, 2020

DriesBleus , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Thanks! I'm quite baffled by the lack of color/version options myself, to be honest. For now it looks like these are the options we're getting for the near future...

W1585751478310 likes this.
  6. King2468
    Gingerbread Apr 22, 2020

7. Mark Falsing
    Moderator Moderator Apr 22, 2020

Mark Falsing , Apr 22, 2020 :
    Nice honest read, loved the camera review. With regards to expandable storage maybe OP could go with a solution of by not using the SIM2 you could use it as expandable storage.

DriesBleus likes this.
  8. DriesBleus
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 22, 2020

DriesBleus , Apr 22, 2020 :
    Thank you!
    And yeah that would be a clever idea, although would it support the same bandwidth if it's not designed as a dedicated memory connection? Basically Huawei did that with their nano-SD cards, so I suppose it's possible - I'd certainly buy it since I don't have two SIM's!

9. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 22, 2020

JustASoftwareEngineer , Apr 22, 2020 :
    Did OP neglect to ship your review unit with an installed screen protector like they promised, or did they just leave those of us paying $1k for the device to be screwed, and likely find themselves with a scratched up device with three days of use?

10. DriesBleus

DriesBleus , Apr 22, 2020 :

J1586887152645

Did OP neglect to ship your review unit with an installed screen protector like they promised, or did they just leave those of us paying $1k for the device to be screwed, and likely find themselves with a scratched up device with three days of use?​

Mine indeed didn't come with a screen protector pre-applied, I dunno why. But I just take care of my 1k$ sh|t so it doesn't break after 3 days...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020

11. JustASoftwareEngineer

I try my best to take care of my $1k shit, including things like using a screen protector.. which I would've procured if OnePlus didn't advertise the inclusion of a preinstalled screen protector. I wouldn't be so perturbed about my feeling of inability to protect my $1k shit, if I wasn't intending on protecting my $1k shit.

12. DriesBleus

DriesBleus , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 22, 2020 :
    Have you tried contacting OnePlus about it? They should help you out if it didn't have one even though it said so in the specs...

13. JustASoftwareEngineer

JustASoftwareEngineer , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 22, 2020 :
    Their attempt to help me involved, after a detailed explanation involving the facts that none was included or installed, stating that one was pre-installed, as if my inquiry didn't already encapsulate the fact that that was the issue.

Eventually I got to a supervisor who told me my only option was to have them send me a screen protector or return the phone.

If you look at all the people who have tried to install the screen protectors that they were sent, nobody's really having luck with that so then sending me a screen protector isn't really too great of a resolution for me.

I told them that me returning the phone for replacement isn't really a solution because they can't assure me that the one that they send back will actually have and installed screen protector, and I'll be without a phone for probably weeks.

They said my only choice was to wait up to 48 hours for an escalation response via email, exposing the true nature of how little their support is equipped to be helpful.

They told me that if I don't hear a response back after 48 hours, then that means that my only option is returning the phone.

They painted a picture of exactly the type of customer service I have no interest in receiving.

14. DriesBleus

So, they offered you a screen protector...and you refused? Seems like customer service did their job just fine then, tbh. What else could you expect, without sending your phone back or having to apply it yourself?

15. JustASoftwareEngineer

No, to clarify, they floated the possibility they may be able to send one in a couple of weeks. (A couple of weeks in which my phone will not be protected).

What else would I expect? Them offering to replace my screen in the event of any severe scratches between now and when they can get me a screen protector... them reassuring my they are aware of the issue instead of talking to me as if they're clueless... Their customer service agents make it very clear how little power or problem-solving abilities they have.

16. DriesBleus

Ok, good luck with that.

17. JustASoftwareEngineer

Like, ideally, I would like... the phone with pre-applied screen protector I ordered. I understand expecting them to cover screen damage to mitigate their mistake of not installing a protector like advertised is a bit of a pipe dream... but what isn't?

I would be glad for them to send me a screen protector to make it right... but in your opinion, if nobody has been able to successfully install one of the screen protectors they were provided without incredible amounts of bubbles, why should it be fair to consider them tendering a screen protector as a resolution? Is my only option then to return the phone for a new one.. would you be okay with that option?

It feels like you're being a bit pretentious here in how you're approaching my woes.. I understand you may have the ability to not scratch your phone's screen, and I hope I have the same luck.. but from the pictures people have posted, it seems this glass, although having clarity and beauty through the wazoo, isn't the most durable..

18. DriesBleus

Look man, I'm really sorry you're having this issue and you feel like OP doesn't properly help you out. but now you're calling me pretentious, even though you probably know that I don't have any way of helping you out with your problem, not cool.

My opinion? If the screen protectors are really so bad that they can't even be applied properly (meaning they are flimsy), I wouldn't feel like it's effective at protecting my device anyway. Maybe get a 10€ or 20€ glass screen protector as soon as possible (and if you really want to be safe, don't use the device until you have the screen protector installed).

19. JustASoftwareEngineer

I'm sorry, I wasn't calling you pretentious.. I was calling your approach in considering my issue pretentious. I understand that clarification isn't really helpful, I just meant.. it kind of seemed like you consider my issue to be petty. I didn't make the comment out of spite for your inability to help me, as I totally acknowledge you aren't empowered to do so.. I just was interpreting your replies as taking my issue to be not a huge deal (like how you said you don't use a protector, as you take care of your $1k+ devices, and all that).

Honestly, I wouldn't be complaining if 3rd part protectors were available, but Amazon can't get me one until the end of May, and other retailers just don't make them yet. OnePlus's protectors (the ones certain people who didn't have a preinstalled one received packaged into their device's box), even if they were for sale, have received numerous critiques about their impossibility to apply without bubbles.

I just feel pushed into this situation where my choices are: don't use my phone, use my phone and deal with scratches, or return my phone for a potentially also affected replacement in an unknown number of weeks. Even if they sent me screen protectors, I'd be in this same situation.. unless their is some methodology for applying them they didn't provide to us.

20. DriesBleus

No problem, and I'm sorry if I came across as pretentious in my replies. I just said that mine doesn't have one and I'm dealing with it accordingly by handling it with care. once cases and accessories are available, I will probably buy a better case and glass screen protector, if you want to know the truth. I'm using the phone for almost two weeks now and it should be fine if you take good care. but yeah, realistically you'll want to either not use it until it's protected, or send it back to try your luck at getting a replacement. Offering free screen replacements would be a can of worms that not a single brand would like to touch, I'm afraid.