[The Lab] - OnePlus 8 Pro Review By @masenov1

1. masenov1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 19, 2020

masenov1 , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 19, 2020 :
    Not unfortunately :/ My contract is ending soon, so I should be able to switch to 5G in a month or two, but regardless I am based in UK. There are a few reviewers from the States, they can probably say more about the topic - their reviews are coming up soon!

MosheG1 likes this.
  2. gubro
    KitKat Apr 19, 2020

gubro , Apr 19, 2020 :
    I meant Vodafone UK lol.
    No worries, thanks for the reply!

MosheG1 likes this.
  3. masenov1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 19, 2020

MosheG1 likes this.
  4. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 20, 2020

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Apr 20, 2020 :
    nice! woohoo!

masenov1 likes this.
  5. madhav_taparia
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2020

madhav_taparia , via OnePlus 5 , Apr 20, 2020 :
    Hey Martin! Thanks for the amazing articulation.

I, myself, am currently using a OnePlus 5 and this article answers most of my doubts. Have a couple questions for you-

1. The notification light on OP5 is something I find very useful but seems like it's not there in 8Pro. Is there anything in 8Pro that ensures you get to know that there is a pending notification (without picking up & unlocking the phone)?

2. 8Pro is huge in size compared to OP5. Is it difficult to adapt to 8Pro as a daily driver?

masenov1 likes this.
  6. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Apr 21, 2020

Bouncer71 , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Thank you Martin for your great review.. 👍🙂

Comprehensive, with comparison to the OnePlus 5 and nicely written...

And the first, at least that I found, to mention the term "Infrared Photography" for the color filter camera...!
    Awesome photos overall though the staying home orders...
    It seems they managed to get white balance way more accurate.
    The wall on the OP5 is nearly white, on the OP8Pro it's yellow...

Getting back to the color filter camera..
    I think this feature is totally underrated..
    I believe if you find the right places and scenes it could create some stunning photos..!
    I've been messing around with Infrared Photography a bit on the OP3 and OP7Pro using an 720nm filter add-on lens..
    Unsurprisingly it fails in a lot of aspects and it's very hard to even get a somehow useable result with a lot of Photoshop...
    @dos90 started discussing it

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...mera-photochrom-photos.1215930/#post-21519788

and I'd really like to see more...

As tips I could say scenes should include, green trees, grass, some clouds, sun from the sides or the back...
    Like those examples that can be found on the net shot with DSLRs... 😉

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source

https://www.thephoblographer.com/20...ases-surreal-beauty-infrared-photography/amp/

Well..
    Thanks again for the hard work you put into this and enjoy the phone...😁

masenov1 and dos90 like this.
  7. masenov1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 21, 2020

masenov1 , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Thank you for the kind words, it makes me happy that you found the review helpful! [e]1f60a[/e] To answer your questions:

1. The closest thing they have is what they call horizon light. The screen lights on both of the sights when you first receive notification. However, it lights only once, unlike the notification light on the 5 that keep blinking. That being said OnePlus had confirmed they are working on Always on display, so that might be a replacement that is good enough.

1282381-c95f1587fc4cd8bc5721c3e768d48923.gif

2. As I said I am not a fan of super big phones either, so for me it did take some times getting used to it. The drawbacks are that it's clearly a bigger phone, it's slightly ticker and slightly heavier. On the plus side, it's about the same width as the 5, just taller. As such it doesn't sit too different in the hand (apart from the slightly increased weight and thickness), the biggest challenge is if you want to access something on top of the screen. Oneplus have started working on a reachability feature, so that should also soon be improved.

I hope that answers your questions!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020

8. masenov1

Thank you, that's very helpful!

Yeah, I should really do some extra reading it does sounds like an interesting technology! I will have a look at the thread you have shared. And those photos look amazing!

Thinking about it more, it does make sense for OnePlus to go with such a camera. Similarly, to how they pushed their display to 10bits showing way more colours, the camera that can capture a broader spectrum of light, unseen to the human eye, is a very logical step in the same direction.

1587449173274.jpg

Bouncer71 and AbhilashSaikia like this.
  9. Mark Falsing
    Jelly Bean Moderator Apr 21, 2020

10. masenov1

Thanks Mark! [e]1f60a[/e] I agreed the colour is awesome, it was an inspiration for my cover photo, which should be a decent representation of the types of colours you get on the back of the phone

Mark Falsing likes this.
  11. Edward_
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 21, 2020

Edward_ , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Nice review, thanks, but you've highlighted some major issues here that potential purchasers should be wary of.

1 - The glare and distortion down the side of the screen - look at the second photo! If you consume a lot of media then this phone is not for you
    2 - Fragility - there is a huge risk of the screen shattering because of the long expanse of glass that could hit the ground as opposed to a flat screen phone where there would be metal frame
    3 - The inability to type. This is a fundamental design flaw - you cannot use the phone without using a reduced-size keyboard
    4 - Ghost touches. Other users have reported having to install a third party app to make the phone usable due to poor palm rejection software.

In other words, a curved display is not fit for purpose. @Pete please take note.

12. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Apr 21, 2020

masenov1 and AbhilashSaikia like this.
  13. AbhilashSaikia

Bouncer71 and masenov1 like this.
  14. masenov1

15. masenov1

AbhilashSaikia and Bouncer71 like this.
  16. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Apr 21, 2020

Bouncer71 , Apr 21, 2020 :
    You're more than welcome...! 🙂

And yes, this is something I always wanted to see...
    OnePlus needs to be different..
    Everyone is like... better this and better that...
    But to try something extraordinary new..?
    That's bold...[e]1f601[/e]

Cool...[e]1f44d[/e]
    Looking forward what you can cook up...[e]1f609[/e]

AbhilashSaikia and masenov1 like this.
  17. AbhilashSaikia

AbhilashSaikia , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Thank you. Stay tuned ;-)

Thanks @Bouncer71, I'll have to think of something during this lockdown period. I'm sure the process will be exciting. I have figured something out in my mind, waiting for Santa @Zach X. to send my unit soon. :D

Bouncer71 and masenov1 like this.
  18. Stefaan
    Gingerbread Apr 22, 2020

Stefaan , Apr 22, 2020 :
    Nice Review!

Cause of your review I'm honestly doubting to go for the green instead of blue!
    With the most professional reviewers the green looks different compared to the blue, with you it seems it has some blue inside the green.

Do you have more pics in different surroundings of the colour?

Thanks!

19. masenov1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 22, 2020

masenov1 , Apr 22, 2020 :
    I would say that in general the colour tends to look like this, if you look the phone straight at the back:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you start looking the phone at an angle though the green becomes more of a blue. If you look at a big angle it looks like a matte blue as in this photo:

[​IMG]

I created a short video as well. While it's not super representative of the colors, you can see how much the light and the viewing angle have an effect on the color:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NXF8MWdHJCfxRqiLA

The cover photo in the review on the very top I think it's a decent representation of all the different types of colours you get (I took the RGB values of some of the pictures I took and interpolated between them to create it).

[​IMG]

I hope that answers your question!

20. Stefaan
    Gingerbread Apr 22, 2020

Stefaan , Apr 22, 2020 :
    Thanks!

It even makes me more doubtfull.
    If the Blue one would be available right now, I'd order that one, but as nobody knows when it's available I don't know what to do!

I like the cameleon kind of shading that happens so it turns from green to blue.
    But the deep blue is my fav colour, soo lot to think about :confused: