[The Lab] OnePlus 8 Pro Review by Yashonagori

1. yashonagori
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jun 28, 2020

yashonagori , Jun 28, 2020 :
    banner1.jpg

Ah yes! Here we go again! Hey everyone, this is Yashovardhan Nagori. I’m a 20 year old student from India with keen interest and passion for tech. Specifically, I get really excited over cameras, so spare me if my review focuses a bit more on the cameras.

First of all, I want to express immense gratitude and love towards this beautiful community that we’ve built along with the peeps at OnePlus, and for deeming me worthy of being a lab reviewer for the second time! This is not only a chance to experiment with the upcoming tech before anyone else, but to connect with amazing like-minded people from all around the globe. And of course, apologies for the 2 month delay due to the current lock down situation in India.

Before I begin the review, I’d like to inform the reader that this might not be the most technical review, but definitely a more practical one. I’m a person who loves to look beyond the specs of the device in hand, and actually see how well those numbers convert during real life usage. I’d describe myself a mid-heavy user, who uses the phone for majorly for media creation and gaming, alongside the general day to day social networking usage. Before the OnePlus 8 Pro, I was using a Samsung galaxy note 9 (My sincere apologies) and OnePlus 7 Pro, so I may draw a few comparisons with that device.

Contents

1. Unboxing and Initial Impressions

(Unboxing experience / Design and hardware)

2. Display
    (Specifications / MEMC / Overall media consumption experience)

3. Performance
    (Specifications / Speed tests )

4. Camera
    (Normal / Ultra Wide / Telephoto photos and videos)

5. Battery and charging
    ( Warp Charge 30T / Speed tests)

6. Oxygen OS
    (Zen mode/ Gaming mode / Customization)

7. Summary
    (Overall Verdict)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020

2. yashonagori

1. Unboxing and Initial impressions

ot banners.jpg

For the past few years, I’ve felt that unboxing have gotten a bit monotonous and boring, so I decided to lighten up the mood a bit! Hope you like it!

If you didn’t catch it in the video, I’m listing the basic specs for my unit for those interested:

· Glacier Green

· 12 GB LPDDR5 RAM

· 256 GB UFS 3.0 storage

· Snapdragon 865 SoC

Moving on to the topic, the unboxing experience of this device is quite similar to that of the OnePlus 7T. A tall red box with all the details of the unit printed on it which satisfyingly reveals the device upon the removal of the cover. Inside the box, you find the device on top, with the warp charge 30T hidden beside with a cover. Besides this, you get the paperwork, a few amazing OnePlus stickers and a clear case. I’ll let you enjoy the rest of the experience through the video above.

As soon as I held first held the device, it took me back to a year ago when I first held the OnePlus 7 Pro. Everything seemed similar, yet there was this breeze of refreshment that I could feel. The device didn’t seem heavy (Although I’m used to heavy devices at this point) and I could get a perfect grip despite of a somewhat shimmery and slippery back. One thing that I instantly noticed was the pre-applied screen protector and that was because of well, a few air bubbles (yes, on a brand new device). It seemed that it may have had some dust particles inside, which was a bummer. I contacted the peeps at OnePlus and they’re already looking into this issue.

box.jpg (Painting by @s_bakliwal)

Keeping that aside, I flipped the device and glanced at the back. While I was left in complete amazement by the beautiful satin finish and the shimmering glacial green tone, I noticed the elephant in the room. Yes, I’m speaking of the huge camera bump. It was one of the biggest I’ve seen on a device in recent times except the ugly square bump on certain other phone (ew, cringe). I am really worried that it might get scratched soon and ruin my camera performance, so I’ll probably get a thick case to cover it up or save it as much as possible. On another note, the OnePlus logo beneath the camera bump and the text on the bottom are pretty minimal branding moves, which I admire.

I seriously had a dopamine rush when I first pushed the power button to boot up the device, oh how had I missed the clicky tactile buttons and the haptic vibrations. Using a phone with sub-par buttons and really bad vibration motor had really lowered my expectations, but now I felt I’ve finally achieved them back just like I did with the OnePlus 7 Pro.

IMG_6965.jpg

About an hour or two later, I realized how I had completely forgotten about the existence of the physical alert slider on OnePlus devices, and gotten used to the sub-par treatment that other brands provide with their flagships. It’s positioning has now become better than ever and is very reachable for people with all hand sizes. However, the experience is still the same, TOP OF THE CHARTS. I honestly don’t understand how certain other brands prioritize an additional useless button to summon an even more useless assistant over this piece of minimal and technological brilliance. However, I feel a distinct color for this button would have enhanced the aesthetics of the device even further.

Credits to Abhilash Saikia for reminding me, the clear case has "Never Settle" engraved on the back with a rough texture, to increase the grip of of the device I guess. It even comes with an annoying flap at the charging port, which I have cut off. Anyhow, I'll be getting a new case soon as these wear out soon enough, and I have bad experience where it leaves permanent stains on the device's back, which definitely no one would like!

An important design change, that is the hole punch cut-out, will be left to discuss under the display head.

Stay tuned for part 2 coming tomorrow!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020

3. yashonagori

2. Display
    disp.jpg

EDIT
    : As fate would have it, I bragged about how my display was perfect in this section of the review and it turns out it isn't. Even my unit has a slight magentic tint on grays when the brightness drops below 45%. However, I barely notice it and it's not obtrusive yet. I'm currently in contact with OnePlus regarding the issue and will update on how everything fairs out. Keep that in mind while reading this section!

We use our smartphone for uncountable reasons and in uncountable ways, but the one thing that almost always remains constant and in use, is the phone’s display. A good display should have reasonable consideration for anyone looking to purchase a smartphone. After all, it is the component of the device that you’ll interact with the most.

Had it not been for the few minor issues which a lot of users are facing regarding manufacturing defects, I’d have called this the perfect display out there in the market. Fortunately enough, my device has no defects and I gladly boast this to be one of the best visual experiences out there. I’ve seen people criticize the high refresh rates for being a gimmick, and obviously it’s not a deal breaker, but once you have it, it gets extremely difficult to let go. Trust me, other 60 Hz displays seem to stutter when you shift from this one. Before I dive deeper, lemme list down the specs quickly, for those interested:

· 6.78” Fluid AMOLED panel with a hole punch cut out front camera

· 3168x1440 QHD+ resolution

· Highest ever color accuracy on a OnePlus phone

· HDR10+ Support

· 120 Hz Refresh rate

· 240 Hz Touch response rate

· MEMC Technology

· 1300 Nits max brightness.

disp 1.jpg
    (I could keep staring at this beaut all day!)

Now that we have that out of the way, let’s break these specs down as I mentioned earlier.

First up, we have the physical panel itself. Let’s get the obvious out of the way, can you pixel peep on this screen? That would be a big NO, not unless you have a microscope like @BlackForestHam. With an astounding 513 PPI, it’s close to impossible to point fingers at this panel. In theory, it should be more than enough to satisfy any resolution fanatics’ dreams and it does indeed, well at least my defect free device would.

As for the physical aspects, I'm quite used to big phones with curved displays by now and since I have relatively large hands, one handed use has never been a problem. Although one thing to be noted is that I've found the edge touch rejection on this device to be quite aggressive as compared to my previous device, the Note 9. It's not a big issue of any sort but something I picked up over this last few weeks of usage.

disp 2.jpg
    (Phone shot by me, Flat-lay by @joannakosinska on Unsplash)

Now that we have that out of the way, let’s break these specs down as I mentioned earlier.

disp 3.jpg
    (Phone shot by me, Flat-lay from Unsplash)

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t the biggest fan of the whole hole punch design before testing it out, as I like my screen without any obstructions and would even accept tiny bezels over weird notches. Personally, I tend to pick practicality over aesthetics and the notch seemed to serve no real purpose. I really loved the front design on the OnePlus 7 Pro, as I rarely used the Front camera, the mechanics didn’t bother me. I didn’t mind the slightly heavier weight either. But soon enough, I forgot the notch even existed. It really blends well with the content and never really seems to be obtrusive enough to make you care. All things said, I’m sure you’ll get used to it in no time. Also, when the front camera is being used, a ring light around the cut out lights up so you know that it's activated!

IMG_6352.jpg

Screenshot_20200629-171622.jpg
    (Display settings and available options)

Regarding resolution, there’s an option between two modes as shown in the image above, FHD+ and QHD+, and as the names suggest, FHD+ is a resolution slightly above 2K pixels and QHD+ is the full resolution at 3168p x 1080p, coming closer to 4K (which to imagine on a 6 and half inch panel is insane in itself). As I don’t really notice the difference between the two, I use my device on FHD+ mode to save some juice.

Next, there’s a choice to switch the color modes, which I switched to natural because it infact is, the most natural color mode. I wouldn’t doubt when OnePlus claims this to be the most color accurate display on a OnePlus device, as during the times of my testing, I found absolutely no issues with color representation. I’ll cover reading mode and night mode under Oxygen OS section of the review.

There’s also the option to switch between 120 Hz and 60 Hz. Now you may call it a gimmick, but the jump from 60 to 90 or 120 is really noticeable and great to have. Although I’ll agree, a jump from 90 Hz to 120Hz won’t be as significant as I tried comparing it with my friend’s 7T. But if you choose to run this device on 60 Hz, it would be really undercutting the capabilities of this technological masterpiece. While talking about the refresh rate of the screen, it would be unfair to not include the new MEMC feature.

MEMC feature:

There’s a reason why this feature gets its own section. OnePlus has somewhat emphasized on this pretty heavily in their ads and promotions. So, when I first came to know about it, I was ready to disregard it as just another gimmick which would actually realize no good use. So when I got the device, I jumped into the settings to check it out under the Display options in settings.

Screenshot_20200629-171633.jpg

When you select the motion graphics smoothing options, a screen as below shows up. Here you get a brief explanation about how the tech works. Basically what it does is, it ups the frame rate of any supported media that you’re playing at 25/30 fps to a higher FPS so that you get a butter smooth viewing experience. This screen also shows a list of supported apps for MEMC. But when you click on more supported apps, you get redirected to an OnePlus page where the exhaustive list is mentioned. Another thing you might notice here is the mention of 120/60Hz support for certain apps. Upon some experimentation, I found that you when you turn on MEMC from the main settings, it only enables up-gradation to 60 Hz. In order to enable 120 Hz, you need to enable hyper motion smoothing from the developer options/ OnePlus Laboratory in the settings (or just search for it in the search bar in settings).

Screenshot_20200629-171655.jpg

So does it actually work? I am really pleased to inform you that IT DOES! It actually does make the content smoother than before. When you play media on any of the supported apps, a notification comes up informing you that smoothing has begun and whoosh! Just like that, the software sorcery begins! As a film and camera enthusiast, I’m very excited to see stuff like this because it really does open up a ton of possibilities. I have so many questions like, “Can this be used to increase the frame rate of normal videos and then slow those down to achieve better slow motion without jitter?” and so on! However, it must be noted that this isn’t any sort of necessity as for many films, the cinematographers intend you to watch their work at lower frame rates. Still, it’s a great addition to have and I might experiment with it a lot in the future! First one would be to watch an EPL match at 120 FPS! (Any soccer fans here?)

Back to the display!

Being on this topic, I would also like to address the 240 Hz touch refresh rate. As you would expect, makes the phone super response to your touch input. Compared to a normal 60 Hz panel, I think this panel is ages ahead and everyone should at least try it once before forming their judgement!

Like most of us, I use my phone for a lot media consumption. Although I prefer my iPad or laptop to watch any content, this display has made me watch on my phone more! The picture perfect resolution with accurate colors and HDR10+ make the viewing experience for movies like Ford V Ferrari or Dunkirk an absolute pleasure. A part of the viewing experience is the sound and even though I use headphones most of the times, the speakers are more than loud enough for two or three people to hear without any issues. Not only are they loud, the sound clarity is flagship quality as well. I’ve actually reduced the use of my Bluetooth speaker since I’ve got this device on hand.

At 1300 nits of brightness, there is no doubt that the user would not have any issue viewing what’s on screen in any sort of lighting. For context, other flagships usually have a maximum brightness of about 1000 nits.

It would be unfair to not mention the various screen issues that a lot of people getting this device are facing. In fact, many reviewers have received a device with a green or unnatural tint at certain brightness levels. However, for many, it has not been a deal breaker as you’ll hardly ever notice it. But it is in no way an excuse to not deliver the highest quality when you’re charging that high of a price. OnePlus accepted the issue and released an OTA update to fix it, yet many people are still unconvinced with their devices and they have all the right to be. It’s honestly a bummer because when working perfectly, this is a gorgeous display with no match in the industry.

Since I’ve written a bit much, here’s a summary on display:

Yes, all those specs on paper translate very well to real life usage. The panel is top of the class with absolutely no question of pixel peeping. The hole punch is very less obtrusive and won’t really affect your experience. MEMC actually works and definitely something I’ll look forward to develop in the future. Consuming media content on this device is a real delight which I hope all of you get to experience yourself and enjoy! If not for the issues that have surfaced, this would have been the best display on a smartphone yet.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020 at 6:52 PM

4. yashonagori

3. Performance

4.jpg

OnePlus and top tier performance have been synonyms in the Android universe for quite some time now. I remember switching from an iPhone 5S to OnePlus 5T a few years back and to this day, I remember how I fell in love with the fluidity; never to look back. Of course, it’s not been a journey without hurdles, but we have come a really long way since then.

As always, let’s get the specs out of the way for those who are interested:

· Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 (7 nm+) Octa-core (1x2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3x2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4x1.8 GHz Kryo 585

· Adreno 650

· 128GB/256GB non expandable UFS 3.0 Storage

· 8/16GB LPDDR5 RAM

· Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot

· Bluetooth 5.1, A2DP, LE, aptX HD

· NFC support

· Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass

· Android 10

· Oxygen OS 10.5.10.INDA

IMG_6344.jpg
    (I lost all my data recently over a stupid wallpaper, hence the low usage)

As one would expect, this is an area where OnePlus never disappoints. The 865 is a major upgrade over the 855. Qualcomm says the new Snapdragon 865 boasts a 25% CPU performance increase and a 20% GPU performance increase over the previous generation Snapdragon 855. Also, the new SoC supports LPDDR5 memory and is manufactured on a newer 7nm process. I ran a geekbench 5 test on my device and the results are below:
    IMG_6346.jpg
    (Detailed results at the end)

Surprisingly, the results were about 2-3% less as compared to the benchmarks available online. But I guess it may have to do with the conditions and usage under which the device was tested. However, these are mere numbers. What you really need to know is that the device can handle pretty much anything and everything that you throw at it. As I mentioned in my 7 Pro lab review, the refresh rate does add to the snappiness of the device. The phone feels quicker than ever thanks to the all-new hardware and software integrations.

Capture.JPG
    Gaming on this phone is the ultimate slam dunk in the industry. It ran all the games I could throw at it at maxed out settings like a hot knife running through butter. I had previously reduced my mobile gaming on my last phone but ever since I’ve had this one, it’s been hard to resist. From Batman: the enemy within to PUBG & Asphalt 9 (Not sure about the 120 on these, but definitely smooth as ever), every frame of those potential 120 per second were a delight. I’m looking forward to try more of these in the future.

IMG_6324.jpg

I’m knit picking at this point, but one bug that I could find was while running Chrome. For some reason, the app would freeze once every 10-15 minutes and won’t move. An easy fix for this was just to minimize it and maximize again and it was back to normal. But I found it weird that it still happened. Another thing that has bothered me for a while on Android devices lately has been the deleting speed in the gallery. Why does it take so much time? I often take temporary screenshots and forget to delete them. Same goes for whatsapp forwards and images. 98% of them are useless and instead of deleting them at once, I generally delete in bulk. But when I actually get to delete them, it ends up taking almost 5 minutes for about every 1000 images. I wish it could be fixed with a software update in the future. As of now, I’ve not faced any other issue.

IMG_6345.jpg

In order to experiment with RAM management, I did a little experiment of my own. At first, I opened up PUBG mobile and Asphalt 9, loaded them up beyond the home screen and minimized them. Then I went on to opening about 15 more apps and exporting a few images on lightroom. When I tried opening PUBG again, surprise surprise, it was still where I left it. This specially amazed me because when I was using the Note 9, apps crashed while I was using them due to bad RAM management. There’s also a RAM boost option in the settings which is described below. All in all, memory management seems to be working as fine as it should.

IMG_6341.jpg

Moving ahead, let’s talk about the topic left under the weight, the in-display fingerprint scanner. On the OnePlus 7 Pro, I felt the FP scanner was decent but definitely not as fast as a physical one. On the Galaxy note 9, the physical scanner was slower than my 7 Pro’s in display one (xD). So my expectations were lower than usual but the 8 Pro surprised me. It’s definitely a lot faster and accurate than before. I can gladly say that it’s not a hit or miss anymore and is consistently reliable. Another thing about security, the face unlock scans so darn quickly that you won’t even get the moment to glance at the time on the screen. Due to this, I ended up turning it off because I often need to check the time on the lock screen.

IMG_6322.jpg

Everything considered, performance is yet again the industry best on this OnePlus 8 Pro. Many of the users might agree with me when I say that this is the fastest phone on the market right now.

Screenshot_20200630-143733.jpg Screenshot_20200630-143730.jpg
    (As evident, this is a major jump over previous generation processors, theoretically)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020

5. yashonagori

4. Camera

cam.jpg

Let’s rewind to 2014, it’s December and this new smartphone start-up has come up with a unique offering – a smartphone with flagship level specs and clean bloat-free UI. What was the catch? The price. The price was closer to less than half of flagships that offered similar specs and nowhere near the clean almost stock android experience. Ladies and gentleman, it was the OnePlus One. The device earned huge PR and was to be found on many front pages of tech publications, be it print or social media. Although the experience seemed to be complete and the device was tagged the title of a “Flagship killer”, something was missing. Unfortunately, for people like me, it was the camera. Not that it was bad by any measures, it just wasn’t “Flagship” enough. Most tech reviewers seemed to love the device’s clean and minimal UI experience but couldn’t stand the mediocre camera performance.

Over the years and around 15 devices later, it still isn’t tough to find criticism for the camera systems on OnePlus devices. The first few 100 threads on the forums are almost always about criticising the cameras. While using the 5T and 7 Pro myself, I found the camera systems to be apt for my requirements at that time, but there always had been scope for improvement. Especially the video quality and low light photography performance never seemed to quite touch the mark. Although, I must say I was able to capture some of my greatest pictures on the 7 Pro but it sure wasn’t perfect.

With the launch of the 8 Pro, my western friends had the pleasure of receiving the device before us Indians, and soon enough, the forum was filled with criticism of the cameras. Looking at the samples released by OnePlus officially, I was excited to try them myself before forming an opinion based on the hits that people were taking. New Year, same old shots at OnePlus about how bad the telephoto is and what not.

Finally the day arrived when I received my unit. Being an enthusiast, I couldn’t wait to try out the cameras myself. Now that I’m done with getting all my samples, I have one reaction, “Oh my god, they’ve finally done it!” In my humble opinion, OnePlus has finally developed a camera system capable to compete with or should I say, even better than the flagships out there in the market. This is, without a doubt, the best camera system developed by OnePlus on any device yet. For me, it is up there to compete for the top spot alongside the Pixel 4, iPhone 11 pro and the Samsung galaxy S20. And I’m not just firing rounds in thin air, I have collected a plethora of shots to support my arguments.

cam photo.jpg

Before we get to that, here are the specifications of the camera system:

· Main sensor: 48 MP, f/1.8, 25mm (wide), 1/1.43", 1.12µm, omnidirectional PDAF, Laser AF, OIS

· 8 MP, f/2.4, (telephoto), 1/1.0µm, PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom

· 48 MP, f/2.2, 14mm, 116˚ (ultrawide), 1/2.0", 0.8µm, PDAF

· 5 MP, f/2.4, (Color filter camera) [Disabled on my unit]

· Dual-LED flash, HDR, panorama

· 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/240fps, Auto HDR, gyro-EIS, Cine mode (4k30 and 4k60 only)

· Front camera: 16 MP, f/2.5, (wide), 1/3.06", 1.0µm

· Auto-HDR

· 1080p@30fps, gyro-EIS

Now that we have that out of the way, let’s move on to the sample shots. First, let’s focus on the photography aspect and later move on to the videos. Instead of hovering around the obvious, I’ll try to focus on the issues and criticisms that others have brought up. First up let’s discuss the main wide lens along with the ultra-wide in normal day lit conditions:

IMG_20200630_094543.jpg
    (Main lens, 12MP, HDR on, compressed to below 2MB)

IMG_20200630_094555.jpg
    (Same scene, Ultra wide, HDR on, Compressed to less than 2MB)

IMG_20200630_094416.jpg
    (Main lens, 12MP, HDR on, compressed to below 2MB)

IMG_20200630_094431.jpg

IMG_20200630_094613.jpg
    (Main lens, 12MP, HDR on, compressed to below 2MB, directly against the light source; a harsh sun)

IMG_20200630_094617.jpg

IMG_20200630_094656.jpg
    (Same scene, 3x Telephoto, HDR on, Compressed to less than 2MB)

IMG_20200630_094313.jpg
    (Main lens, 12MP, HDR on, compressed to below 2MB, light from behind)

IMG_20200630_094321.jpg
    (Ultra wide angle lens, 12MP, HDR on, compressed to below 2MB, light from behind)

IMG_20200630_095102.jpg
    (Main lens, 12MP, HDR on, compressed to below 2MB, DoF test)

IMG_20200630_095110.jpg
    (Ultra wide lens, 12MP, HDR on, compressed to below 2MB, DoF test)

IMG_20200630_095118.jpg
    (3x telephoto, 12MP, HDR on, compressed to below 2MB, DoF test)

IMG_20200630_191459-2.jpg

IMG_20200630_191506-2.jpg
    (Back lit human subject, main lens, 12MP, brightened in lightroom because I forgot to turn on HDR)

IMG_20200630_191651.jpg
    (Main lens, backlit subjects, 12MP, compressed to below 2 MB)

IMG_20200630_185104.jpg
    (Backlit subject, Main lens, 12 MP, compressed to below 2MB)

ultra wide 12mp-2.jpg
    (Ultra-wide cropped in ~5x at 12MP)

ultra wide 48 mp-2.jpg
    ( Ultra wide cropped in ~5x at 48MP)

IMG_20200623_194330.jpg
    (Nightscape main lens, compressed to less than 2MB, evening light)

IMG_20200623_195031.jpg
    (Nightscape main lens, compressed to less than 2MB, evening light, notice the detail in the zebra crossing)

IMG_20200622_202335.jpg
    (Nightscape main lens, compressed to less than 2MB, Night light)

As you’d probably notice, there is honestly very low scope to criticize them. Both of these lenses when given enough light, perform stellar. Here are a few takeaways:

· 48 MP does make a difference in detail when you crop in, so if you’re willing to ignore the comparatively very long shutter delay and huge storage space, you have the option to use it.

· HDR seems to be on point in almost every case, not overdoing the effect to make it seem unnatural.

· Colors produced tend to romanticize the scene just a tad bit. But I don’t mind that. Nothing that can’t be tweaked in post.

· Auto exposure works fine, but I really love the AF/AE lock option which gives me complete control.

· The camera UI is minimal and simple to use. Although I would really love the option to turn HDR on and off from the camera itself and not going to the settings again and again. Silly how it isn’t there in the first place.

· The post adjustment capabilities of these images are really good, they do not have any pixel leaks even with my heavy presets on lightroom, something even my DSLR struggles with if the images are not shot in RAW mode.

· Nightscape is the best it has ever been. It consistently delivers amazing images with great detail in all sorts of light. However, you might wanna keep your hands a bit still in pitch black conditions.

Marching ahead to the telephoto. I’ll say this straight, if you’re having trouble shooting amazing photos with this lens, you should probably start looking within. One of the best and most detailed telephoto lens I’ve used by a mile. Don’t believe me? Check these out yourself:

IMG_20200622_184728.jpg
    (3x Tele, compressed to less than 2MB, Oh you beauty!)

IMG_20200630_191733.jpg
    (7x optical zoom on the Tele, excuse the noise which can be fixed in post, just embrace the shot and colors)

IMG_20200701_191113.jpg
    (~6x Optical on the Tele, what phone captures the moon!? absolutely insane! Compressed to less than 2MB)

IMG_20200623_192854.jpg
    (Post sunset light, 3x Telephoto Compressed to less than 2MB)

IMG_20200630_192452.jpg
    (Post sunset light, 3x Telephoto Compressed to less than 2MB)

Takeaways for the telephoto and macro lens:

· As opposed to popular opinion, the photos do not come out over sharpened. If you think they are, maybe try using a Samsung device once and see what over sharpened looks like.

· The levels of details captured are unmatched in medium to good light.

· Probably avoid using it in the dark, stick to the main lens.

· HDR works fine for the telephoto as well.

· Macro mode works stellar. I’m literally so excited to experiment with it more in the future!

Time for some portraits:

IMG_20200630_184127_Bokeh.jpg
    ( Portrait mode on the 3x telephoto, compressed to less than 2MB, against the light)

IMG_20200630_184141.jpg
    (3x Tele without portrait mode, HDR didn't activate for some reason, compressed to less than 2MB)

IMG_20200630_184422_Bokeh.jpg
    ( Portrait mode on the 3x telephoto, compressed to less than 2MB, with the light)

IMG_20200630_184506_Bokeh.jpg
    ( Portrait mode on the main lens, compressed to less than 2MB, with the light)

IMG_20200701_190403.jpg
    (3x Tele without portrait mode, HDR on, compressed to less than 2MB)

IMG_20200630_184823_Bokeh.jpg
    (Portrait mode on the 3x tele with multiple subjects, compressed to less than 2MB)

Takeaways:

· Edge detection is almost always stellar, I tries throwing difficult scenes at it and it seemed to mask the subject with ease.

· The level of details captured is over the top.

· Sometimes, the portrait mode photos do seem over sharpened. Nothing that can’t be fixed in lightroom though.

· Portrait mode works on the wide lens as well as the telephoto lens.

· It works with multiple subjects as well.

· Colors are not really close to natural and again are romanticized a bit.

I'll be honest, I'm not much of a selfie taker and don't prefer being in front of the camera. From my usage, it works more than fine enough with enough detail and close to natural colors.

So that was it for the photos guys, let’s get going to discuss the videos. Now my laptop doesn’t support 4K playback and I’m having issues putting a video together, so instead of giving out sub-par content, I am liking a great video by Mr. Dave West, a fellow lab reviewer from the 7 Pro lab on the 8 Pro. It covers all video related aspects of the device. In the meantime, I’ll try to figure something out to put out my video as well!

The combinations of modes that are possible to be shot on this device is just too long. I shot a total of 24 clips and still then missed out on some not so important modes. Here’s a brief list:

· 1080-30 Normal

· 1080-30 Normal with super steady

· 1080-30 Normal with HDR

· 1080-30 ultra Wide

· 1080-60 Normal

· 1080-60 ultra wide

· 4k-30 Normal

· 4k-30 Ultra wide

· 4k-30 with super steady

· 4k-30 with HDR

· And so on…

Here are my thoughts on the video capabilities of the device:

· The color reproduction mimics the photo processing, a bit popping and beyond true to life. For me, it looks just fine and I don’t mind the extra punch.

· Super steady mode and HDR mode are only available with 1080/30, 4k/30 and 4k/30 cine modes and that too only one at a time!

· Super steady works immensely well. It’s definitely removed the need for a gimbal.

· HDR mode is just magic. It gives the perfect subject and background exposure harmony to the videos, helping them stand out from the crowd.

· Details captured at 4k resolution are enough to crop in 2-3x.

· I’d avoid using the telephoto lens in less than optimal lighting conditions. Its quality is nowhere near the other two lenses. Something to improve upon in the future.

· The videos tend to get a tad bit over sharpened in some less than perfect environments. I wish they’d remove that with a future update.

· The bitrate on the 4k60fps mode crossed 150Mpbs, which is extremely high for a smartphone.

· For most people, this video camera can easily beat an entry level DSLR or point and shoot camera and become their only device to record videos!

· 1080p240fps slow-mo is a delight to watch and I’m looking forward to using that mode even more in the future! However, 720p480fps was a little bit too much, also the quality is obviously not that great.

Summary:

As I said, this is the best ever camera system developed by OnePlus. They listened to the criticism we threw towards them in past and have tried to accommodate everything they could. In the future, I'd love the option to shoot in different color profiles like logs for videos. Really happy to have this device as my main shooter.

Now obviously I wasn’t able to cover each and every aspect in this brief review, if you’re interested to know more, kindly follow me on Instagram @yashonagori where I’ll be uploading more and more photos in the future. I hope I've cleared all doubts in your mind about the camera system and if you still think of some, kindly leave a comment. Thank you and stay tuned for the next part! Peace.

There you have it guys, the real life performance of this not so quad camera system! Since we’re done with the interesting parts, I’m adding a few screenshots of the stock camera UI to give you an insight into what’s available:

Screenshot_20200702-181324.jpg Screenshot_20200702-181327.jpg

Screenshot_20200702-181331.jpg Screenshot_20200702-181345.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020

6. yashonagori

5. Battery and Charging

ot banners.jpg

Perhaps the easiest part of a review of a OnePlus device from the point of a reviewer is the battery and charging part. From its inception, OnePlus have been on top of the game when it comes to battery and the process to charge it.

IMG_6370.jpg

The OnePlus at Pro comes in with a massive Non-removable Li-Po 4510 mAh battery with support for Warp Charge 30T, the adapter for which is included in the box. The phone does support wireless charging but I unfortunately do not have one at my disposal, so I’ll be talking about only the wired charging aspect. The phone also does support wireless reverse charging at 3W which as the wattage suggests, is only for emergencies.

IMG_6375.jpg

OnePlus at the launch have claimed 30W wired charging which can juice up 50% within 23 minutes and 30W wireless charging which can do the same in 30 minutes. In my testing, I found the claims to be perfectly true and the phone does get charged to 100% from around 10-15% within 40 minutes. To put into perspective, other flagship manufactures support fast charging upto 15-20W of fast charging which takes almost double the time to charge the device to save levels. And that’s insane how it has been so many years of OnePlus domination.

IMG_6363.jpg

In order to test the screen on times, I tested the device on two available display settings; FHD+ and QHD+. On the first day with FHD+, I got the following results:

Screenshot_20200630-000359.jpg

Screenshot_20200630-000419.jpg

I started the day with 100% and got 5 hours and 29 mins of screen on time with 23% left. Which basically means I had scope for around an hour or so more. So if you as me whether it is a one day battery, the answer would be a “No, it’s more than that.” Another thing to be noted is that the refresh rate was fixed at 120 Hz and I just could convince myself to reduce that to 60 Hz. If you do try so, it might even last for two whole days with decent usage!

Next up, QHD+ resolution with 120 Hz settings:

Screenshot_20200630-224623.jpg

Screenshot_20200630-224559.jpg

Same as the day before, I started the day with 100% usage and ended the day with 5 hours and 28 minutes of screen on time (what a co-incidence) and 8% battery left. But this day, I had put the device under more stress as I was recording a lot of videos and capturing photos for my camera review. But I can draw out that this phone can easily deliver 5 and half hours + of screen on time consistently, which honestly is really really good!

All in all, if you’re getting this device with the expectations of a good battery, it’ll easily cross them. No nooks and hooks left by OnePlus in this aspect and this is certainly a strong part of the device.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020

AbhilashSaikia and Zach X. like this.
  7. yashonagori

6. Oxygen OS

oxy.jpg

A major contributor to the user experience of any smartphone is the medium of interaction between the user and the hardware of the device itself, and for smartphones, that medium is the OS. Although vanilla stock android with absolutely no bloatware is preferred and demanded by a lot of android enthusiasts, there are definitely some shortcomings. And thus, this brings into picture the OxygenOS developed by OnePlus.

From my experience, the foremost objective of OOS is to provide the user with the most near stock experience while adding on all the missing values from their end. This includes various customization options, purpose oriented modes and a ton of cool stuff!

In this part of the review, I’m going to cover as many of those customization and modes available to the user. Currently, my device is running OOS 10.5.10IN11DA on top of Android 10.

Customization:

Keeping in mind the various orientations of users over aesthetics, OOS allows you to choose a variety of GFX options to change the visual appeal of the device which I’ll explain along with screenshots below:

Screenshot_20200704-163100.jpg

The customization option is available on the front page of the settings menu.

Screenshot_20200704-163222.jpg

The main menu displays all the available customization options ranging from a preset theme, of which 3 are available and contain various combinations of customization depending on the theme. These might even help you get started if you're not looking to tweak everything one by one. Otherwise, you could just select one and change up every option available above.

Screenshot_20200704-163309.jpg

The accent color option lets you pick from the above colors available. The fonts option provides two variables, which to my eye looked almost the same. You can also switch between light and dark mode from here. I feel all the other options are pretty self explanatory, so let's move on to the custom modes available on the device.

1. Zen Mode and digital well being:

When it was first launched, I applauded OnePlus who recognized the need to introduce this mode. What it basically does is, it locks out the device for 20 minutes where you can only use it to make emergency calls. Literally every other function gets blocked. It is aimed to help those addicted to continuously check on their phone to reduce their screen time and phone usage. OnePlus has also introduced a digital well being section in the settings to help users track their screen on time and application wise usage on a weekly and daily basis.

Screenshot_20200704-165040.jpg

Screenshot_20200704-165047.jpg

This menu allows the user to customize a lot of the settings to help them reduce their smartphone usage. There are options to limit daily app time, screen time and a lot more. As you might notice, my screen time has been off the charts lately crossing 7 hours on a regularly basis, so clearly I needed this the most. :p

2. Gaming and FNatic mode:

As the name suggests, these modes are properly focused on gaming and aimed to enhance the experience of the user by providing various options. To enable, simply launch a game or open the Game Space app pre installed on the device.

Screenshot_20200704-165616.jpg

The home screen of gaming mode allows you to navigate between vairous games and options.

Screenshot_20200704-165626.jpg

Swiping up from bottom allows you to turn on the Fnatic mode for superior CPU and GPU optimization and reveals available customization options.

Screenshot_20200704-165623.jpg

Tapping in the top right corner allows the user to view and review their gaming statistics.

3. Other Modes:

Other modes include Reading mode, DND and Night mode. Reading mode tweaks the display of the device to make it more comfortable for long reading sections by eliminating a lot of colors and stressful light frequencies. Night mode eliminates blue light from the display which is supposed to make it easier on the eye while using it at night time or in low light.

One thing that has bugged me while using OOS is about the home screen. I'm a person who likes keeping the home screen completely void of any apps or widgets as I appreciate the wallpapers. But for some reason, you're not allowed to keep an empty home screen so I was kinda forced too keep a clock widget just to have an empty screen. And to add or remove new screens is really a struggle. It was perfect before, I don't understand the reason for it being tweaked.

This covers the majority of the aspects of OxygenOS and personally, it's my android skin of choice. Minimal bloatware and design aesthetics, high customization ability and smooth and easy UI has kept me a loyal fan. If you're looking to switch from any other brand, I doubt you'll have a hard time to adjust as well!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020 at 12:47 PM

Fc København and Zach X. like this.
  8. yashonagori

7. Summary

Whew! That was some week! I hope you guys enjoyed this journey as much as I did. Even though I covered each and every aspect in as much depth as possible, there still remains one ultimate questions unanswered; should you buy the OnePlus 8 Pro?

Let me begin by telling you what’s good with this device. First, it’s the extremely sleek and minimal design paired with a breath taking satin finish, making it an absolute pleasure to just hold the device. Second, the cameras have massively taken a jump in terms of both hardware and software capabilities and this does fare to be one of the best in the market. Third is that gorgeous fluid display making it an ever so fast and a treat to look at. Fourth, would be OnePlus, Oxygen OS and the amazing community you get to be a part of. The list can go on and on, but only to be hindered by one little flaw, the risk of having a skewed display panel on your unit.

Unfortunately, there’s no short answer this time. On paper and in practice, this for me is hands down the most delightful piece of tech I’ve used in a long time. I’m in love with my device. But for you, It all boils down to one thing, are you comfortable with the fair chance that your display might be skewed and you’d have to go through a hassle to get it changed? For people like us who are passionate and keen on getting the best of the best, we don’t mind bearing that small risk. But for the general consensus, no one in their right mind would be willing to shed off Rs.60,000/$1000 on a smartphone only to find that they need to get their piece replaced.

So, if you’re willing to shed the bucks and bear the minimal risk, trust me, you won’t be disappointing yourself. If you don’t want to get involved in any sort of hassle, I’ll sadly have to ask to look at some other device, maybe even a 7T which in my opinion, is the current value champion in the market.

So guys that was it. Although the joy of curiosity of what the future beholds intrigues me, some part of me is sad that this had to come to an end. I would once again like to thank everyone at OnePlus, @Zach X. , @TristaW and @dsmonteiro for letting be a part of this wonderful tradition once again and helping me throughout the process. How can I forget my fellow reviewers who made the journey even more pleasurable even though I and @AbhilashSaikia were the last to get the devices. Loads of love and stay safe everyone!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020 at 12:42 PM

Zach X. likes this.
  9. MosheG1

MosheG1 , Jun 28, 2020 :
    nice! this review had me right from the start! I can't wait to see the rest! Im sure it will be epic!

10. F_Arun_Bagga_Olxx
    Gingerbread Jun 28, 2020

Kitty Kennedy ks and charmink4 like this.
  11. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jun 28, 2020

12. iharshjjain
    Honeycomb Jun 28, 2020

iharshjjain , Jun 28, 2020 :
    Oops.. not able to read the texts in dark mode.. make sure u use proper colors to the texts..

13. Black Forest Ham

Black Forest Ham , Jun 28, 2020 :
    Wonderful work! That stop motion video must have taken quite a while :eek:

Love the attention to detail and the effort put in so far, keep it up!

14. Tobikage
    Nougat Jun 28, 2020

Tobikage , Jun 28, 2020 :
    Apologising for using a smartphone from another brand ? So this is a fanboys review.

Ujjwalprashar, Dresa91 and Batman360 like this.
  15. yashonagori

yashonagori , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 28, 2020 :
    Um, a) It was a joke b) Read and decide if I'm a fanboy. Cheers!

16. yashonagori

Thankyou so much Mickey, glad you noticed the effort. You've inpired me a ton! :D

17. yashonagori

Yeah that's a weird bug, other black text turned white but some didn't.

18. yashonagori

19. yashonagori

Thankyou Moshe, so glad you could have a glance before your trip!

20. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jun 28, 2020

Starcommander , Jun 28, 2020 :
    Open forums.oneplus.com on web browser, select the text and click on : Screenshot_20200628-213526.jpg
    The problem is that the text is not actually black in color so when you force the text black on browser, the app cannot convert it when its in dark mode.