[The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro] Taking a stand - Post review experience

1. yashonagori
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jul 29, 2020

yashonagori , Jul 29, 2020 :
    @Zach X. @Carl @Pete @dsmonteiro @Crystal Z.

Hey everyone, I hope y'all are safe and sound.

Some of you might remember me from the Lab for OnePlus 8 Pro, and for context, I'd suggest you read my review first, especially the display part. If you knew me, you'd know that I'm a long term OnePlus and Android enthusiast. Although I love them both, I'm nowhere near to a "fanboy". Thus, I won't stand back in criticizing either where there is a scope for improvement. And after a lot of thought, confusions and patience, I'm calling out OnePlus today for their severe social distancing from their very own principles.

Disclaimer: This is a request and constructive criticism of the recent events that have occurred in the community and industry over the last few months. In no way I intend to hurt the feelings and beliefs of any individual or group.

About 2 months ago, I received my OnePlus 8 pro unit as a part of the lab program. Since almost all other reviewers were facing tinting issues with their displays, I decided to check mine as well. With a sigh of relief, I found none at the time. But moving forward to today, the tint crushing on greys has become very severe and growing ever since. If the issue was bearable, I would have happily ignored it and moved on, but the severity has made me want to speak up before it just gets completely ignored. Here are a few shots for comparisons:

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-29 at 2.37.42 PM.jpeg
    AMOLED on Samsung Galaxy note 9 (for reference)

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-29 at 2.38.47 PM.jpeg
    AMOLED on my OnePlus 8 Pro.

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-29 at 7.36.57 PM.jpeg
    FP scanner visible under screen on the 8 Pro. Source: @AbhilashSaikia .

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-29 at 2.16.38 PM.jpeg
    Tinting issues on the upcoming OnePlus Nord device.

A few days ago, I reported the issue to one of the OnePlus reps, who forwarded the issue to the customer support team. They called me back and when I explained my issue, this was their word to word explanation: "Green tint is because of AMOLED, not our fault. I'm closing the issue." Without allowing me to judge whether the issue had been solved or not, I was blatantly shut down. I conveyed this back to the same OnePlus rep as earlier, who told me that they've been working on the issue, but it's been many weeks and I'm yet to hear anything from their side. This, in my opinion, is horrible customer service for a brand like OnePlus who're selling smartphones for Flagship prices but refuse to take quality control with utmost priority. This is not a case unique to me, my friend @AbhilashSaikia is not only facing the tinting issue, but his FP scanner is visible under the screen, which is not an AMOLED issue. He has been hung up on by the CS team multiple times as well. And to top it all off, even Nord users a facing the tinting issues, but it's even more severe in their case, which ultimately makes it un recommendable too. To add to the problems, some reps from OnePlus have been arrogant and rude when confronted with the issue, which is not characteristic of the brand.

Even though I did not purchase the device, I find myself unable to recommend the device to anyone who asks me, since no normal person would want hassle after paying about $1000 for a smartphone. It genuinely hurts my soul to not be able to recommend otherwise such an excellent marvel of today's time. OnePlus have made significant advances in almost every aspect of the devices, but this is acting out to be such an unnecessary deal breaker. I am a long term OnePlus fan, and it hurts to see them tumble to lower standards than what they've set previously. This is not a piece of hate speech, but a request from the bottom of my heart to improve upon the shortcomings that have been arising regarding already existing devices, rather than keeping on releasing new devices every few months for the sake of doing it like other mediocre Android smartphone manufacturers. The recent issues regarding the pre launch offers of Nord have also been all over the place, there was a clear lack of connection and understanding between OnePlus and their customers, which is again very unlike them. In the end, I hope OnePlus doesn't settle for these standards.

https://twitter.com/yashonagoD/status/1288493681159233541?s=20 Help us by sharing this tweet as well. Your support is appreciated!

Final Update: Unfortunately, the solution provided by Arjun cannot be implemented. As of now, there is NO SOLUTION for this problem and will continue to exist without a fix in sight. I apologise to anyone who bought the device in my recommendation and faced these issues, I should have known better.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020

2. yashonagori

3. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jul 29, 2020

Batman360 , Jul 29, 2020 :

Ohhh mann!! I can literally feel your exhaustion!! Firstly we are being charged alot (okay it's a premium phone) but we didn't sign up for a tinted screen or black crush while buying the device and now as many users are complaining about it, instead of replacing their device or screen for free they are coming up with an excuse that "It's Amoled" and forcing the user to pay more when it's not even their fault.
    You know what, I started having amoled burns on my screen since a month now, and it hasn't been even a year since I purchased OnePlus 7 Pro, never over heated the device, always used screen brightness below 50%, never played games that much and still there are status bar contents burned on my screen. And when approach their customer service they say that it's our fault. Yeah right!! Why would I pay 20k extra for a screen that got damaged without being my fault.
    Anyhow, if they keep on going like this, it's all downhill for OnePlus. People will fall once for their hype by not again. I literally suggested my friends to go for Apple instead of 8/8Pro and I don't even like the devices Apple comes up with.
    Yes, I bought Nord, not for myself though. But if the green tint comes within a month of using it, I'm never gonna settle with the reply "It's amoled" coz we never settle.

4. Batman360

5. yashonagori

yashonagori , Jul 29, 2020 :
    So true and well said man. The way they have been handling these user issues has been hurtful to see. Clearly no one is looking to spend that amount and get issues in return when asked for answers and accountability. I hope this is looked into first before jumping into new launches and announcements. I literally faced the similar issues as you today, had to put a rock on my conscious and recommend an Apple device, as much as I don't support their crap value for money agenda.

6. MosheG1

MosheG1 , Jul 29, 2020 :
    Thanks for the tag!

I agree with this, the screen issues have gone from bad to (what seems to be even) worse on the Nord. Whatever the issue may be or whoever's fault it is, it is a bad look for an otherwise great company. Not all AMOLED screens have such issues and not in the volumes that OnePlus seems to have.

And I have definitely had my share of experiences with customer service that I am not happy about in the slightest! The wait times are really long ( even longer now do to the pandemic) and I find that the representatives generally have a hard time understanding your questions and what you want.

I definitely think there is work to do in these 2 departments, especially customer service as that isn't even technology.

But I am hopeful this will be resolved as ONEPLUS is usually quite good with updates [e]1f609[/e]

7. Vansh99

Vansh99 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jul 29, 2020 :
    Thanks for bringing this up. The tint issue has been around since at least 7t series and wasn't ever brought up on any Lab reviews, apologies if someone did and I didn't notice. Samsung S20 series also seems to have a similar issue but it's far less common compared to OnePlus devices.

Rafztafara, deep0611, obol2 and 6 others like this.
  8. MosheG1

MosheG1 , Jul 29, 2020 :
    I too have screen burn in on my 7 pro in the status icon area! I had assumed it was because I run my brightness usually higher then most... But I guess it is a general issue too...

9. Batman360

I love this phone so much, that it hurts to see the burns on the screen.

10. Batman360

You know what they did you resolve the green tint or the black crush issue? 😂😂 They increased the default brighteness so that the users don't see the issue. That's not a fix guys, that's just camouflaging your faults.

11. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jul 29, 2020

B_Wrath , Jul 29, 2020 :
    Oh. The Nord is a step above 8 display. Both green tint and purple tint together. That is called learning from past experiences.
    As @Venky61 put it, it is interstellar glow on the display😂

12. yashonagori

yashonagori , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 29, 2020 :
    Hoping for the best! Fingers crossed.

Yeah dude, it's infuriating and it's kept getting worse over time.

13. MosheG1

MosheG1 , Jul 29, 2020 :
    [e]1f602[/e] @Venky61 that's hilarious!

deep0611, Venky61, Loveit and 4 others like this.
  14. Nitin007T
    Honeycomb Jul 29, 2020

Nitin007T , Jul 29, 2020 :
    Is it issue mostly occuring on QHD+ Curved Amoled display phones..

Some say Samsung S20 Series had it and has been fixed by recalibrating it..

But I still don't know whether flat displays have got that issues..

Let me know

deep0611, Dresa91 and MosheG1 like this.
  15. MosheG1

MosheG1 , Jul 29, 2020 :
    Sure

16. Batman360

17. Goku_SuperSaiyan
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 29, 2020

Goku_SuperSaiyan , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 29, 2020 :
    atleast someone did it !
    we need all big players to take stand !
    i have gone through 2 replacement till now ; 3 phones
    but none of them are perfect !
    the 3rd one was good to use ( only black bar ) , but now things have changed , screen is getting different from day 1 !

i tried too hard but now i am frustrated with this !
    worst support !
    no mails revert back !
    they are fully ignoring it !
    their service center team says different thing and CS team other thing....i wish someone from OnePlus atleast give a statement !

1596034125754.jpg

1596034125793.jpg

1596034125825.jpg

1596034125855.jpg

1596034125883.jpg

1596034125909.jpg

18. Goku_SuperSaiyan
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 29, 2020

19. MrTechAuditor
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2020

MrTechAuditor , Jul 29, 2020 :
    Yeah, it really looks so disheartening as Oneplus is not acknowledging it properly, and giving a proper update about it. This doesn't suit them at all. 🙄

I saw that Nord tint pic too, it looks SO SO BAD ☹️.
    If Oneplus still remain silent about all this, then we are left with no other option except parting ways from them, and pick up other devices from the market.

Thank God I've not seen any such issues with my Oneplus 7 Pro yet, but there's always a possibility of it. 😬😬

This needs to be resolved or atleast acknowledged with a proper update about it from Oneplus. They should ensure proper control about quality, for future devices as well (even those upcoming Nord Series devices). 👀

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020

20. yashonagori

yashonagori , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 29, 2020 :
    This is a good example to bring to light the whole CS issue. What sort of behaviour is this. No issue is being resolved.

Thanks man, hope something actually happens.

Agreed 100%.

deep0611, Batman360 and MrTechAuditor like this.