[The Lab] OnePlus 8T Review by Josh Kannenberg

1. Josh Kannenberg
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Oct 15, 2020

Josh Kannenberg , Oct 15, 2020 :
    OnePlusHeader.png

Hey guys,

My name is Josh Kannenberg, and welcome to my OnePlus 8T Lab review. I just want to say thanks again to the OnePlus staff and mods that selected me as one of the top 10 out of over 15,000 applicants! I wasn’t expecting it but I appreciate it and it was really cool to get a device before it officially launched.

So I work as a software developer, but I also started a tech YouTube channel as a hobby about one year ago. If you want to check out my channel you can click on this link. I do review and unboxing videos on smartphones, tablets, laptops, and so on.

The first time I heard about OnePlus was when a friend told me about the OnePlus One that required an invite to purchase. I wasn’t able to get an invite but many years later I purchased the OnePlus 7T. I liked it so much that I convinced a few of my family members to purchase one for themselves. And it is still one of the best android phones that I have ever used. Then I got the opportunity to review the Nord through the NA Beta Program and now on to the 8T.

I will try to cover as much as possible about the 8T but if I miss anything, feel free to leave a comment and I will get back to you. I will update the links as I post each part of the review. The model that I have is the Aquamarine Green with 12GB of RAM and 256GB of storage. So let’s get started.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020

2. Josh Kannenberg

Unboxing

*I made a mistake in the video. The phone has a 16MP Ultrawide (not 48) and a 2MP Monochrome Lens (not a telephoto).

Unbox1.jpg

So the first thing you see when you open the box is the welcome package that comes with all that paperwork that we all love to read. I never understood the people who just throw it aside. Then we have some OnePlus stickers and a sim card tool. It even comes with an invitation letter from Pete Lau, the co-founder and CEO of OnePlus.

Unbox2.jpg
    newest.jpg

Then we have the OnePlus 8T that is wrapped in some protective plastic. Just under that is the signature red USB-C charging cable. And in the bottom compartment is the all new Warp Charge 65 Power adapter.

Unbox3.jpg

So this charger is supposed to offer the fastest charging of any OnePlus phone yet and can even fast charge other devices but I will talk more about that in the battery and charging section.

Unbox4.jpg

Design

design1.jpg

Next up is the design. So once you take off the protective wrap, you can see just how premium the OnePlus 8T looks and feels.

design3.jpg

It has that glossy glass on the back that definitely stands out from other phones that I have used and this Aquamarine Green color reminds me a lot of the Blue Marble on the Nord. When looking directly at the back it looks more green and when viewing from angles it looks more blue.

design4.jpg

The glass on the back is rounded at the edges to make it more comfortable when holding it for long periods. It is also incredibly thin and lightweight, coming in at only 8.4 mm thick and weighing just 188 grams.

unbox5.jpg

Of course we also have that rounded rectangular camera bump on the back featuring a quad camera setup. I actually like that they switched it up from the center design that we seen on some previous OnePlus phones, and it is a huge improvement over the circular camera bump that was on the previous generation OnePlus 7T.

design5.jpg

The rails and buttons around the phone are made of aluminum and are painted to match the color of the back, and the buttons are very tactile.

At the top of the phone we just have a single mic.

design6.jpg

We get a volume rocker on the one side.

design8.jpg

On the other side we just have a power button and a volume slider to toggle between ring, vibrate, and silent modes.

design7.jpg

Then on the bottom we have the sim card slot (which does support 2 sim cards), another mic, the USB-C charging port, and a speaker.

design9.jpg

On the front of the phone we have a plastic speaker grille and the single selfie camera cutout.

design10.jpg

Last up is the 6.55-inch display. Which at first look is one of the nicest displays I have seen on any smartphone. Not to mention the fact that it is a 120hz display. But I will talk more about that in the display section.

design11.jpg

Overall, the OnePlus 8T has a very premium look and feel to it and so far I am impressed. I will be posting the display section within the next day so be sure to check back for that.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020

3. Josh Kannenberg

Display

the1.jpg

The display is probably the best thing about the OnePlus 8T. It is almost everything that you could ask for out of a flagship phone. Notice I said almost.

So for starters, it’s a 120hz panel. So everything from scrolling through your instagram feed to playing games is super smooth. So smooth that when I went back to using a phone with a 60hz display, I actually thought it was lagging. When comparing it to the 90hz OnePlus 7T the difference was noticeable but not huge.

the8.jpg
    Suits on Netflix

You can switch between 120hz and 60hz in the settings. This option is just here in case you want to save battery life.

the2.jpg

It is also a 6.55-inch flat display, unlike the curved display of the OnePlus 8 Pro. I have always preferred flat displays for a few reasons. First off, you don’t get so many accidental touches around the edges of the display. Second, you can use screen protectors without them having to only cover a portion of the display. And last, they just look better. No matter the quality of a curved display, there is always going to be some distortion around the edges.

the7.jpg

The colors are good but I would recommend switching to the natural color setting. The vivid setting looks nice sometimes but overall it just makes things look way too saturated.

the11.jpg

It is also a 1080p display so it’s not the highest resolution we have seen on a smartphone, but in a screen this size there really isn’t much benefit in a higher resolution. And it also goes up to 1100 nits of brightness so using it outdoors and even in direct sunlight is not an issue.

the12.jpg

We also have that selfie camera cutout at the top left of the display which is not ideal but I still find this better than having a notch.

the6.jpg

It does have a few a drawbacks though. One thing is that it does not get as dim as most of the other smartphones that I use and when using it at night it is just a bit too bright. Apparently this is something that other OnePlus phones have struggled with as well and something that I hope they can improve on in the future.

One other issue is that there is still some slight color shifting when viewing the screen at an angle which is not something that the higher quality OLED displays have.

the13.jpg

But in most cases, and especially when viewing the screen directly, it is one of the nicest looking displays that I have seen on a smartphone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020

4. Josh Kannenberg

Battery & Charging

second1.jpg

OnePlus has always been exceptional when it comes to battery life and fast charging. And this is more true than ever with the 8T. So it comes with a 4500mAh dual battery system (two 2250 mAh cells) that easily makes it through the day and more.

I finish most days with about 20-30%, with about 5 hours of screen on time at full brightness. This drops off significantly when gaming or running other cpu intensive tasks but the fast charging helps a lot with that.

first1.jpg

So the 8T comes with the new Warp Charge 65 (65W) power adapter. Pair that with the dual battery system and this phone offers the fastest charging that I have ever used in a smartphone.

fifth1.jpg

When plugged in the 8T went from 0-60% battery in just 16 minutes. Which should be enough to get you through the day with moderate use. And to get from 0-100% it took just 36 minutes.

sixth1.jpg

Bottom line, you won’t have any issues with battery life or charging on the OnePlus 8T.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020

5. Josh Kannenberg

Performance

As far as specs go, the OnePlus 8T is running the Snapdragon 865 chip and the model that I have here comes with 12GB of RAM and 256GB of UFS 3.1 storage.

After using the phone for almost a week now, I can say it is really fast. Apps open really quickly and write speeds are ultra fast due to that UFS 3.1 flash storage. The more cpu intensive apps like the camera and some games do take a bit longer to open.

perform1.jpg

I did some gaming to test out how the OnePlus 8T performs when running more graphics intensive applications. My game of choice was PUBG Mobile and I had all settings maxed out and was running Ultra HD (In Fnatic Mode). After 35 minutes of playing at full brightness, I had no issues with dropping frames and gameplay was super smooth.

The phone also stayed very cool during gameplay and I only noticed a slight temperature increase. This is likely due to the new multi-layered cooling system.

perform2.jpg

I ran some tests using Geekbench on both the CPU and GPU. On the CPU, the 8T ran an 877 on the single core, and a 3103 when running all cores. And on the graphics performance, it ran a 3126 OpenCL score.

perform4.jpg

Sound quality is good but it is very one sided. The bottom firing speaker is much louder than the one located at the earpiece so using headphones while gaming and watching videos in landscape mode is recommended.

So to put it simply, performance is excellent on the OnePlus 8T.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020

buntycubal and Adam Krisko like this.
  6. Josh Kannenberg

Cameras

camera1.jpg

The OnePlus 8T has a quad camera setup on the back. So we get a 48MP main camera, a 16MP ultra-wide (123 degrees), a 5MP macro lens, and a 2MP monochrome lens. Then on the front we get that 16MP selfie camera. The main and ultra-wide cameras take great shots but the monochrome and macro cameras are mostly useless.

photos3.jpg

photos8.jpg

Looking at daylight images from the OnePlus 8T, the images from the 48MP main camera are usually very good. They have surprisingly good color accuracy and good dynamic range. The photos are in 12MP by default but you can switch that to 48MP right in the camera UI. But using it in the default mode, I’m really impressed at how balanced the photos are.

In lower lighting conditions, the main camera still keeps a lot of detail but the noise reduction is pushed just a bit too far and color reproduction falls apart.

photos1.jpg

The new ultra-wide also takes really high quality shots when you have a good amount of light. It balances the shadows and highlights well, and maintains similar color accuracy to the main camera. When in lower lighting situations, it does struggle a bit.

photos5.jpg

The 5MP macro camera can occasionally take a decent photo, but just like the 7T and the Nord, it doesn’t seem like anything is ever really in focus.

photos2.jpg

Then we have the 2MP monochrome sensor. So the mono photos are still taken with the main camera and the sensor just provides additional information about the light and shadows to create a better black and white image.

photos7.jpg

The images are not bad but you can essentially achieve the same result by taking a regular photo and editing it, or switching to the built in black and white mode. In many of the photos, the mono looks much more noisy than the regular photo.

The 16MP front camera also takes great photos. Color accuracy is good and there is a lot of detail.

selfieshot.jpg

So the OnePlus 8T can take excellent photos with the main and ultra-wide cameras. I feel like the macro and monochrome lenses are just there so they can call it a quad camera setup (something that phones seem to need these days to be considered a flagship) and they don’t really offer any extra value. But for most of your regular photo taking with the 48 and 16MP cameras, you won’t be disappointed.

I will link my full review video on YouTube once it is uploaded in a few days to show the video quality on the OnePlus 8T.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020

7. Josh Kannenberg

OxygenOS 11

0s1.jpg

OxygenOS is still the closest thing to stock android that I have ever used and in my opinion is the best part about OnePlus phones.

That continues with OxygenOS 11. So the 8T comes running Android 11 (OxygenOS 11) right out of the box and it is a familiar experience to the previous generation but there are some changes.

We get a refreshed home page design with new dynamic wallpapers that shift in color and move around based on the time and when scrolling through the home pages. This isn’t a major change but it does make it feel more fluid.

os5.jpg

Then we have the new magazine style image gallery. The minimalist design looks really good and makes better use out of empty space to bring things closer to the bottom of the phone. This makes one handed use much easier.

os4.jpg

Another big change is the always on display. So now you can get real time information while the device is asleep. The screen will automatically adjust the brightness of the always on display and if you put the phone face down or if it is in your pocket, it will automatically turn off.

os3.jpg

Besides that we still have that great OnePlus software experience that doesn’t come with too much bloatware, has tons of customization options like dark mode and color effects, and feels very fluid especially with that 120hz display to navigate through it all.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020

8. Josh Kannenberg

Summary

new8t.jpg

With a price of $1,099 here in Canada ($749 in the US), it is in a very competitive price range, but the OnePlus 8T has a lot to offer. You get that 120hz fluid Amoled display, a premium design with great color options, some of the fastest charging I have ever seen in a smartphone, high performance specs, at least 2 really good cameras, and excellent battery life.

However, it does have a few drawbacks. The macro and monochrome lenses are generally not useful and are likely just there for marketing purposes. When every other flagship at this price has a 3+ camera setup on the back, you need to compete so there they are.

The dual speaker sound isn’t the greatest and most of the sound comes out of the bottom firing speaker, so when watching videos and gaming in landscape mode I would recommend using headphones.

And you also have that slight color distortion when viewing the screen at an angle which is not a big deal but not something you expect from a flagship level display.

If you are the type of person who needs a ton of RAM and storage then I think the OnePlus 8T is priced great in between same spec OnePlus 8 Pro and OnePlus 8. Plus you get that flat display and ultra fast charging.

But if you are more like me and don't need 12GB of RAM and 256GB of storage, then I would go with something else.

Anyway, thank you for reading my review on the OnePlus 8T. I hope you found it helpful and if you want you can go check out my full review video on my youtube channel here:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020

9. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Oct 16, 2020

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Oct 16, 2020 :
    Very nice!

In your honest unbiased opinion does the back finish pick up fingerprints as it is a glossy finish unlike the matte of the 8 pro

10. Josh Kannenberg
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Oct 16, 2020

Josh Kannenberg , Oct 16, 2020 :
    Thanks!

It does pick up fingerprints but it is very hard to see them unless you look at it from an angle.

GuitarHero0179, manuel19 and MosheG1 like this.
  11. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Oct 16, 2020

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Oct 16, 2020 :
    Ok that's good to know thanks! (Ps if you want help with your review adding gifs etc. Feel free to contact me! I did the last lab review)

12. harshil1903
    Jelly Bean Oct 16, 2020

13. Josh Kannenberg

Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020

14. Swatiranjan
    KitKat Oct 16, 2020

Josh Kannenberg likes this.
  15. Josh Kannenberg

Thanks!

Super smooth pretty much sums it up. That 120hz display along with OxygenOS11 and the 865 chip is a good combo.

Swatiranjan likes this.
  16. Shailender Sharma
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 16, 2020

18. Josh Kannenberg

vamsiparimi likes this.
  19. aris
    Jelly Bean Oct 16, 2020