[The Lab] OnePlus 8T Review by Melih Gungor

1. melihg98
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Oct 14, 2020

melihg98 , Oct 14, 2020 :
    Untitled Design-2.png

Hi there everybody!

My name is Melih Gungor (Turkish name) and I am thrilled to be a part of the OnePlus Lab Program! I’d first like to thank @Zach X., as well as the OnePlus Staff and community for accepting me to check out the OnePlus 8T and giving me this awesome opportunity!!

Just a little background about me; I’m currently majoring in Information Technology with hopes of continuing to be surrounded by technology. Ever since the OnePlus One, I have gotten my entire family to switch to OnePlus devices! Some include OnePlus One, OnePlus 3T, OnePlus 5, and OnePlus 7 Pro!

I'm also a tech content creator on YouTube. I started it as a hobby in 2014 based and only started to take it seriously in 2019. This does mean I also made a video corresponding to this review/experience!

Here is a link to my YouTube Channel!

Throughout this review, I will showcase the Aquamarine Green OnePlus 8T Variant with 12GB of RAM and 256GB of Storage.

If you do have any questions, please feel free to ask away!!:)

Anyway, let's get right into my experience with the 8T. Spoiler Alert; it’s pretty dope!

CONTENTS

2. melihg98

Untitled Design-4.png

UNBOXING ---------------------

Untitled Design-6.png

I’ve always enjoyed the unboxing experience with OnePlus devices and I was super excited when I received the 8T! I literally had my face glued to the window waiting for the phone to arrive!

Anyway, taking a look at the box, we’re greeted with OnePlus’ signature red color. As soon as we lift the lid, we notice the words printed “OnePlus”.

Untitled Design-13.png

When we lift the lid, notice some of the paperwork about the phone, a sim ejector tool, and some other goodies like OnePlus stickers.

Untitled Design-23.png

What I personally appreciate is the invitation letter that OnePlus packages with the 8T.

Untitled Design-22.png

Essentially, this is exactly what you receive in the box (This is the North American Variant):
    1. OnePlus 8T with a pre-installed screen protector
    2. 65W Warp Charge Cable
    3. 65W Warp Charge Adapter
    4. Sim Ejector Tool
    5. Stickers!!
    6. Invitation Letter
    7. Quick Start Guide
    8. Safety Information
    9. SAR Information
    Untitled Design-25-min.png

NOTE: The North American Variant does NOT come with a protective case in the box.

DESIGN---------------------

Untitled Design-11.png

The very first thing I felt when I picked up the 8T was how light it was. At only 188g, the phone really does feel super light in the hand. I mean I was expecting it to be a little bit more heavy and thicker due to a fairly large battery which I will talk about later, but even at 8.4 mm, it comes in super like light especially when I compare it to my 7 Pro. Having glass on the front and back and aluminum on the side really makes the phone feel that much more premium.

Untitled Design-12.png

Now I'm pretty sure that the 7 Pros curved display really does make a huge difference in aesthetics and price and since I wasn't a big fan of curved displays, I really do enjoy the flat display on the OnePlus 8T (I will go into detail about display). Instead, OnePlus decided to give the back of the 8T a curvature which is definitely better when you're holding the phone.

The back is a glossy glass coated in a light green color which is actually called aquamarine green that really does attract a lot of fingerprints, at least in my case, so I will be putting either a skin or a case on the phone. In fact, when I first pulled the 8T out of the box, it looked like a lighter OnePlus Nord Teal Blue color, but hey, that's just me:relaxed:

Untitled Design-19.png

The other option you have is the lunar silver which has more of a matte finish.

There is one issue. The phone is quite slippery and I'm actually scared to use it outside. The NA Variant does not come with a TPC Clear case which means I need to be extra careful.

When we look at the display, it's a beauty. I'm going to dive into display separately, but I'm glad OnePlus really does focus on its display technology. In the end, it is the part of the phone we interact with the most, so shouldn't it be stellar?

Anyway, we have a small hole-punch camera cutout accompanied by pretty thin bezels. It also does have an earpiece on top which also doubles as the second speaker.

Untitled Design-9.png

On the top of the phone, we have a mic and no headphone jack. Just want to point that out because believe it or not, some people still use the 3.5mm jack. On bottom of the device, the 8T has a USB-C port for its super-fast 65W charging (It's veryyy fast) as well as transferring files, a sim-card slot, a mic, and a speaker which gets pretty loud. Along the left hand side, we have the volume rockers and on the right hand side, there's the alert slider with a texture to help identify it and the power button. One important thing to me in OnePlus devices is the alert slider. It's literally been a saviour for me. I wish everyone could learn from OnePlus and add an alert slider, but, this is just what makes them unique and amazing! I always praise the alert slider. Period. I absolutely love it!

Untitled Design-10.png

Untitled Design-14.png

Untitled Design-15.png

Can't wait to hear your initial thoughts and I will be updating this thread daily!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2020 at 2:21 PM

3. melihg98

DISPLAY---------------------

Hi again!

Ahhh, display time.:) I absolutely love the 8T display, and after charging speeds, it's my favorite feature about the phone! OnePlus, please continue using flat displays!

Untitled Design.png

Anyway, let me get the exact specs out of the way just in case.

OnePlus 8T Display Specs:

- Size: 6.55’’

- Resolution: 2400 x 1080 pixels 402 ppi

- Aspect Ratio: 20:9

- Type: 120Hz Fluid AMOLED

- Supports sRGB, Display P3

- Cover Glass: Corning® Gorilla® Glass

If it’s one thing I love about OnePlus devices, it’s the displays! I say it all the time, but since the part of the phone we interact with the most is the display, I believe that it should be at its prime.

Untitled Design-8.png

Now, what makes the OnePlus 8T so amazing especially for me is the fact that it has a 120Hz refresh rate with a flat display. Yes. A flat display with 120hz. The reason I say this is; I’m coming from my OnePlus 7 Pro and while its curve display is beautiful, it sometimes gets in the way. Accidental touches were present every single day for me, so having a flat display is a welcoming change for me.:hearteyes:

Untitled Design-9.png

Anyway, the display is super sharp while the colors are super accurate being an AMOLED panel. It’s not Quad HD, however, but that's okay. I would use Full HD on my 7 Pro even though it was a Quad HD panel. I honestly wouldn’t see the difference unless I looked at the screen very closely and, it also saves battery.

Scrolling through apps like social media is a breeze and you’ll definitely notice the refresh rate improvement if you’re coming from a phone with 60hz. In fact, what tends to happen is when you switch to a device with a higher refresh rate, it is extremely difficult to switch back to 60hz. It’s not impossible, but difficult. If you have a phone with 90hz, it still is an improvement, but it’s just a little bit harder to realize the exact difference.

Untitled Design-13.png

OnePlus gives the user a couple of different display modes to choose from such as reading mode which emits a mono or chromatic effect. There is also a vibrant color option that, well, brings up the contrast of the display, and the colors begin to pop out more.

Untitled Design-10.png

The screen is fairly large at 6.55 inches, or I guess we can say that it’s rightly placed at 2020 standards (you know, large displays). The only game I play on my phones right now is Call of Duty Mobile, and with the 8T having a flat display, I can finally say goodbye to my accidental movements in the game!

Untitled Design-7.png

There is one thing about the display that I’m not the biggest fan of and that's the hole-punch camera cutout. Coming from my 7 Pro, I absolutely loved the full immersive display with no notch or camera cutout whatsoever. Since I watch almost all my YouTube videos on my phone, the camera cutout sometimes gets in the way, and if I’m honest, I haven’t gotten used to it yet. While It’s not the biggest dealbreaker, it’s just something I wanted to point out. If the camera cutout isn’t an issue, the 8T display shouldn’t be an issue either.

Key Takeaways:
    1. 120hz Flat display is dope!
    2. No Quad HD resolution is a plus
    3. The camera cutout is present and sometimes sticks out.
    4. The display panel is beautiful; accurate, vibrant, and super sharp.
    Untitled Design-12.png

NOTE: Some people have been noticing some green/blue tint issues, but I can report that I have not noticed anything like that.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 2:45 AM

4. melihg98

BATTERY & CHARGING---------------------

Untitled Design-8.png

Yes! My favorite feature about the 8T. The charging speeds on this phone are just insane!!

Let me break it down into two parts for you; Battery Life & Charging Technology.

Battery Life:

Here are the exact battery specs for the 8T;

1. 4500 mAh (Non-Removable)
    2. Warp Charge 65 Fast Charging (10V/6.5A)

The 8T comes equipped with its new twin-battery cell technology. It’s pretty straight forward. There are two batteries that each split up the charging speeds and capacity to fully obtain the 65W speeds at 4500mAh. OnePlus has also equipped 12 thermal monitors to keep the phone cool and at a safe temperature level.

Untitled Design-6.png

Since the phone has a Full HD display with a fairly large battery, I’ve been able to easily get throughout the day. This past week, I’ve been watching the battery and from 9 AM to 5 PM, I would drop from 100% down to around 45-50% which is pretty good for me.

By 12:18 am, I’m at 31% with 4hrs and 25mins of SOT (screen on time). Each day does vary but I’m typically hitting about 4-6hrs of SOT which is perfectly fine by me. I’m definitely noticing better battery life than my 7 Pro and that is a welcoming change for me.

Screenshot_20201018-001804.jpg

I actually have Always-On-Display disabled because I personally never used it before on my past Samsung devices, so if you do decide to use it, expect a slight decrease in battery life.

I’m satisfied with the battery life on the 8T. Anything that lasts longer than my 7 Pro, I will take it.

Charging:

One thing I want to address that may be a bummer for some is that the 8T does not support wireless charging while many other competitors at this price tag do. I’m not too bummed out only because I’ve gotten used to it from my 7 Pro. I would just keep that in mind if wireless charging is a big factor for you when picking up a new device.

Untitled Design-9.png

Like I mentioned earlier, inside the box comes the USB-C to USB-C cable with the 65W charging brick, which is about the same size as the 30W charging brick of my OnePlus 7 Pro (Some phones do not ship with charging bricks anymore). Oh, and I’m still happy that more and more devices (not just smartphones) are switching to USB-C because every device I carry with me is USB-C.

Untitled Design-13.png

Warp Charge 65 is one of the newest additions that OnePlus is touting for the 8T and they do have every right to. The claims that OnePlus makes about the 8T like 0-100% in 39 minutes are spot on! Funny thing is that I thought my 7 Pro was fast, but when I tried out Warp Charge 65, I was mistaken. The 8 Series as well as the OnePlus Nord also support 30W like the 7 Pro.

When I first received the phone, I decided to put it on a quick test. I went ahead and put the phone in charge for about 10 minutes. I plugged the phone at 31% at 8:18 pm and 10 minutes later, I took the 8T out of charge and it was at 65%. 34% in 10 minutes. That is crazy good.

Untitled Design-10.png

I then went ahead and used the phone till it completely turned off and literally in 40 minutes flat, the 8T charged up from 0-100%. When you plug in the phone, the 8T shows off this charging animation of Warp Charge 65 which is a little cool touch. There is one certain thing. The 8T does get slightly warm to the touch when it’s in charge, but that is to be expected and my 7 Pro would slightly heat up as well when in charge.

Untitled Design-4.png

It’s also very crucial to remember that you’ll only get true 65W charging speeds if you use the exact cable and charging brick that comes inside the box of the 8T. If you don’t have your warp charger with you, you can get up to 27W of charging with a supported charger. This is because the phone supports PPS (Programmable Power Supply).

I absolutely love the new Warp Charge 65! I don’t need to worry about charging my phone anymore. I’ll wake up and plug in the phone for about 15-20 minutes as I get ready in the morning and I’ll be set for the rest of the day and honestly, that’s what makes me most comfortable about this phone.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 5:33 AM

5. melihg98

PERFORMANCE---------------------

Untitled Design-17.png

There really isn’t much to say in the performance department because, well, OnePlus has been nailing it for years. If it’s high-quality performance that you look for in a device, OnePlus, including the 8T should be at the top of your list.

Now while it doesn’t come with the slightly upgraded Snapdragon 865+, The Regular 865 chipset is still the flagship chipset of 2020, so don’t expect any issues whatsoever. In my time of using the phone, it has exceeded my expectations. I thought my OnePlus 7 Pro was fast, but man, this phone blows it out of the park. I can literally feel and notice the improvement in speed and performance. This is most definitely from the higher end 865 chipset rather than the 855 found in my 7 Pro. Optimization in Oxygen OS also has its take on how well the device performs, but I’ll be talking about Oxygen OS11 in its own section separately.

Untitled Design-16.png

The fluidity and smoothness just gets me every time. Thank you OnePlus for including a flat 120hz AMOLED display! I’ve been playing Call of Duty on this and I haven’t noticed any overheating. That's because OnePlus includes a vapor chamber with graphite to effectively dissipate heat.

Untitled Design-19.png

I’m always watching YouTube videos on my phone which for me means that I also look for good speakers and guess what? The 8T gets pretty loud as it does include a stereo speaker setup, so I’m thankful for that. Haptic Vibration on my 7 Pro was pretty good and the 8T seems to perform the same.

Untitled Design-18.png

The 8T comes equipped with either 8 or 12GB of RAM so no worries in multitasking there. I myself have the 12GB variant and if you live in the US, you can only pick up the 12GB variant. It’s also good to keep in mind that the 8T comes with LPDDR4X RAM, instead of LPDDR5 RAM found in the OnePlus 8 Pro. Still, all my apps continue to open in an instant and even if I have multiple apps running in the background, they don’t need to restart thanks to that inclusion of 12GB of RAM.

How about 5G? Well, it won’t become fully mainstream for a couple more years, but I really appreciate that OnePlus has added 5G support to the 8T. I’m using the 8T on the T-Mobile Network and I have seen subtly increases in speed. I’ve been getting about 130mbps download and 47mbps of upload and that's an improvement for me. T-Mobile is using the Sub-6GHz 5G which is used for longer range but does not reach speeds of that 5G that we would like to see like downloads of 1Gbps. That is reserved for mmWave and Verizon is the biggest carrier right now in the US pushing for it. Bottom line is that you shouldn’t really pick up the 8T or any other phone just for 5G.

Screenshot_20201013-210959__01.jpg

OnePlus knows what's up for performance. Keep it up!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020 at 1:32 PM

buntycubal and Fatih Aşkın like this.
  6. melihg98

CAMERA---------------------

The camera is also a big focus on the OnePlus 8T and based on my time using it, I’m not too impressed. Don’t get me wrong. There are flaws, but it’s not too bad.

Untitled Design-17.png

First, let’s get the technical stuff out of the way with the specs:

• Main Camera:
    1. Sensor: Sony IMX586
    2. Megapixels: 48
    3. Pixel Size: 0.8 μm
    4. OIS: Yes
    5. EIS: Yes
    6. Aperture: f/1.7
    • UltraWide Camera:
    1. Sensor: Sony IMX481
    2. Megapixels: 16
    3. Aperture: f/2.2
    4. Field of View: 123°
    • Macro Camera:
    1. Megapixels: 5
    2. Focal Length: 3 cm
    • Monochrome Lens:
    1. Megapixels: 2
    So, the sensor for the main camera is not new. It is the same one found in the OnePlus 7, 8, and Nord Series. That alone should mean that it’s time for an upgrade in the actual sensor itself. We’re getting 4 cameras, but having more cameras doesn’t always mean better. Let me get to why.

Untitled Design-18.png

The 48MP camera comes in at 12MP default and honestly, just leave it in that mode. You won’t get as much dynamic range, but at least the colors of the image won’t come washed out. I’ve seen some amazing samples taken with the 48MP, but for some reason, my results weren’t what I had expected them to be. I’ve left it at its default at 12MP since and I haven’t had any issue whatsoever. Colors for the rear come out fairly vibrant and accurate, not as sharp as I personally would like them to be.

IMG_20201019_180355.jpg

IMG_20201019_180258.jpg

We have a 16MP Ultra-Wide camera with a 123-degree field of view and yes, more image, which I like. This is actually the widest ultrawide they put on a camera coming in at 123 degrees. More in an image is definitely a plus.

IMG_20201019_181524.jpg

Then we have a 5MP macro camera and ehh well, it's definitely better than 2MP. It does take better photos than any 2MP macro lens so that's a plus and I like taking closeups of objects. There is a drawback though. It doesn’t get as detailed as I had hoped and you need to have some fairly good lighting. Still, it is an improvement from 2MP.

IMG_20201019_141626(1).jpg

Lastly, we get a 2MP monochrome lens which I just won”t use. I won’t. This can be found when you slide to the very end of options in filters in the camera app. It’ll still capture the photos at 12MP, but rather capture the data at 2MP. I honestly wish OnePlus just added a telephoto lens in place of the monochrome, but that's just me.

IMG_20201019_141523.jpg

IMG_20201019_141513.jpg

Okay, so what are the new features that OnePlus touts on the 8T? Well, OnePlus has said they have improved night sight which based on my first impressions, I can see the improvement, especially from my 7 Pro. In fact, The 8T now detects low lit scenes in the standard camera mode. This means you don’t necessarily have to switch modes all the time to capture a night photo. However, colors still seem a little bit washed out and this is very understandable if you have ever used a Pixel device. It’s nice, however, to see that the Ultra-wide camera also supports nightscape.

IMG_20201019_183758.jpg

IMG_20201019_183806.jpg

The 8T also sees an improvement in video with better stabilization and a new mode called video portrait mode. It gives your video that bokeh effect when you're filming and I actually appreciate the additions the 8T has to offer. (You can find samples of this in my Youtube video link above)!

On the front, we’re getting a 16mp camera which for the most part, does get the job done! It seems to perform about the same as my 7 Pro, but something that I do not like is the fact that it seems that every photo I take seems to soften the selfies. The 8T camera won’t wow you and it's not even nearly as good as something like the iPhone or the Pixel, but it does what you want it to. (Samples will be in my full video review on the 8T, just feeling a little bit insecure, I do apologize).

Overall, I’m more for the idea of one camera performing like a champ than 4 cameras performing at mediocre.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020 at 2:21 AM

7. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Oct 16, 2020 at 2:27 PM

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Oct 16, 2020 at 2:27 PM :
    Being as you have the 7 pro you know how badly a glossy back finish can get fingerprinted . How does that compare to the St ? does the 8t with it's glossy finish get fingerprints too ?

Starcommander, melihg98 and manuel19 like this.
  8. reallykunal
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Oct 16, 2020 at 3:04 PM

melihg98 likes this.
  9. ashwinkumar2211
    Cupcake Oct 16, 2020 at 3:06 PM

melihg98 likes this.
  10. melihg98
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Oct 16, 2020 at 3:50 PM

melihg98 , Oct 16, 2020 at 3:50 PM :
    The 8T does get fingerprints, but it's not as bad. When you look at the phone at an angle, you can still see them. Because of that, I'll still probably get a case or skin!

11. melihg98
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Oct 16, 2020 at 3:51 PM

12. melihg98
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Oct 16, 2020 at 3:52 PM

13. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Oct 16, 2020 at 4:02 PM

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Oct 16, 2020 at 4:02 PM :
    Any clue why the north america version doesn't get a case?

Starcommander likes this.
  14. ThatOneTechyKid
    Cupcake Oct 16, 2020 at 4:25 PM

melihg98 likes this.
  15. melihg98
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Oct 16, 2020 at 5:09 PM

melihg98 , Oct 16, 2020 at 5:09 PM :
    The FE is a very capable device. It competes directly with the 8T. Might just be a better buy, but not 100% sure.

ThatOneTechyKid likes this.
  16. melihg98
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Oct 16, 2020 at 5:09 PM

MosheG1 likes this.
  17. Swatiranjan
    KitKat Oct 16, 2020 at 6:43 PM

melihg98 likes this.
  18. mushfiqweb
    Donut Oct 16, 2020 at 7:03 PM

Q1596332034114 likes this.
  19. PRAVEENINTI
    Froyo Oct 16, 2020 at 7:32 PM