[The Lab] OnePlus 8T Review by Shevon Salmon

1. shevonsalmon
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Oct 14, 2020

Stickied Post
    shevonsalmon , Oct 14, 2020 :
    Oneplus Banner2.jpg

Hey guys!

My name is Shevon Salmon and I am proud to be apart of The OnePlus 8T Lab Review team, before we jump into the review I thought I would tell you a little about myself.

I’m currently a Tech/Lifestyle YouTuber here in Canada. I have been creating content for around the last 7 years but only got serious and found my passion for Tech in 2016. I’m also a lover of fashion so I try to implement my style of fashion with tech. Click Here To Check Out My Youtube Channel

My first OnePlus device was actually the OnePlus 8 and I bought it for a review and since I didn't have enough money to keep it I was planning to review it and sell it but I ended up keeping the device due to how much I loved it the 90hz refresh rate when playing games really got my attention.

I usually play competitive Fortnite and I would have so much advantage over all the other mobile players who were stuck between 30-60 fps, Since then my love for OnePlus devices started. Join in for the ride and I hope you enjoy the journey.

Now as I always say, without any further ado. Let's jump into the Unboxing and Review!

Contents
    ---

Unboxing & Design

Display

Battery and Charging

Performance

Camera

OxygenOS 11

Summary​

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020 at 10:12 PM

2. shevonsalmon

Stickied Post
    OnePlus The Lab PhoneBox.jpg

The unboxing experience with OnePlus devices is always surreal. The packaging is well done and we get all the necessary accessories we need to get the device up and running.

What's included inside the box?

• OnePlus 8T
    • Invitation Letter
    • Quick Start Guide
    • SAR Information
    • Safety Information
    • Warp Charge Adapter
    • Warp Charge Cable
    • Sim Ejector
    • Stickers

Invite Letter.jpg
    I thought this little letter of invitation was a nice touch, I feel welcomed to a family haha
    OnePlus The Lab.jpg
    paperwork? you know the procedures, pluck em and file em to the side, but those Stickers tho! 😍
    Warp Charge.jpg
    this warp charge 65 is no joke, I literally watched and saw my phone go from 12% up to 34% in no time
    - it's stupid fast - still sad there's no wireless charging though

Design

OnePlus 8T Phone In Hand.jpg

So OnePlus went with a very interesting design and I actually like it. The Aquamarine green colour option I have is really gorgeous and depending on how the light hits it you get a tint of blue in there as well. They went with a glossy back but surprisingly the texture they used does not show fingerprints which is much appreciated. Especially because I don't have to be wiping my phone down every 10 seconds to take these pictures of the device.

The glass on the back has some sort of rounded edge design, it's almost as if they placed a curved edge display onto the back of the phone instead of the front and that's the way to go because curved screens to me were pointless.

OnePlus The Lab Grip.jpg

With that being said the phone feels amazing in the hand and its super lightweight. The texture is not that grippy and if you aren't careful you might drop this device a lot especially if you have butterfingers, so I would definitely recommend a case or some sort of skin that adds texture.

OnePlus The Lab Hole Punch Wallpaper.jpg

We get a single hole punch camera cutout, I still thought the OnePlus 7 Pro pop-up camera system was the best because it made the viewing experience seamless but for now we have to work with that tiny hole on the left side of the display and after using for hours you won't even notice its there.

OnePlus The Lab Hole Punch.jpg

You also have the option to hide the hole punch in the settings. But then you sacrifice a little bit of screen real-estate so I keep that setting off.

The entire phone is solid it has an aluminum rim which feels really premium, at the bottom, there is the USB-C port for charging and transferring files, a sim card slot, a mic and a speaker. At the top, we have another mic and along the sides, we have the power button and a textured alert slider which I love so dearly. Finally, on the left side, we simply just have the volume rockers.

OnePlus The Lab Bottom.jpg

OnePlus The Lab Alert Slider.jpg

OnePlus The Lab Side.jpg

OnePlus The Lab Top.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 1:55 PM

3. shevonsalmon

Display

OnePlus The Lab Screen.jpg

My favourite part about the OnePlus 8T is the FHD+ 120hz Fluid Amoled Display, which simply means the phone is just gliding through animations. Playing games on this phone at such high of a frame rate gives me PC gaming vibes and that's crazy to think about. We also have a lot of screen to play with at 6.55 inches. The screen quality is sharp, vibrant, and accurate. Any competitive shooter games I play I dominate because I can see what's happening on the screen before my enemies who are usually stuck between 30-60 refresh rates.

OnePlus The Lab Gaming.jpg

Scrolling through my Instagram and Twitter feeds never felt better it's truly something you have to experience for yourself as you move your finger across the screen the pages just glides smoothly and it's actually satisfying, sometimes I find myself just thumbing through my home screen mindlessly haha. Coming from my iPhone 11 Pro Max the smoothness is day and night you especially see it if you hold both phones side to side and scroll through pages.

OnePlus The Lab Scrolling.jpg

OnePLus 8T x Shevon-Display.jpg
    Size: 6.55 inches - Resolution: 2400 x 1080 pixels 402 ppi
    Aspect Ratio: 20:9 - Type: 120 Hz Fluid AMOLED
    Support sRGB, Display P3 - Cover Glass: Corning® Gorilla® Glass

Netflix Not Fullscreen.jpg
    Tv Show "On My Block" this is how it looks when not in fullscreen on Netflix
    I'm not the biggest fan of watching movies on phones but I will get in a few tv shows here and there. Streaming services like Twitch, Youtube, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video all work well on this display and you can punch into the full-screen mode to get that immersive feel but do remember when you punch into full-screen mode a small portion of the video may get cut out, but if the content you are watching is filmed in 2:1 aspect ratio instead of 16:9 you will not lose a lot of information while punched in.

Netflix Fullscreen.jpg

Tv Show "On My Block" this is how it looks in fullscreen on Netflix

Twitch.jpg
    Twitch on the other hand will punch in but stops right at the hole-punch display

All and all the display is gorgeous, at 1080p the OnePlus 8T’s display isn’t as sharp as other phones with a QHD resolution But you’ll only really notice the difference between a 1080p and 1440p panel if you really zoom into photos and pixel peep. You also have a few different display modes to choose from within the settings such as the Reading Mode, Dark Mode, Vibrant Color option. It's really nice to see that OnePlus takes pride in making sure our health is also looked after with these features.

Display Modes.jpg

The reading mode emits blue light on the screen which is safer on the eyes for reading for long hours. The Vibrant Color option does exactly what it says and punches up the colours and contrast a little which makes videos and images look that more pleasing to the eye. I also really hope OnePlus keeps the flat screen design moving forward.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 1:55 PM

buntycubal, Tepin, camohan and 4 others like this.
  4. shevonsalmon

Battery.jpg

Phone On Wireless Charger.jpg

So let's get this out the way, unfortunately, the OnePlus 8T does not support wireless charging and to me, that was a big miss. The first night of using the phone I placed it on my wireless charger when I was working at my desk only to remember there's no wireless charging support which was a vibe kill. But the Warp Charge 65 somewhat makes up for it due to the insane charging speed.

Warp Charge Phone.jpg

I kid you not I went from 11% up to 90% in around 28 -30 minutes. I have never seen a phone charge this fast, the convenience factors really kick in with this charging rate because if you forgot to charge your phone in the night you can always plug it in first thing in the morning, do your morning routine which for me usually takes around 45mins to 1hr and when you're finished with your shower or whatever you do in the mornings once you're finished you will have a full days charge.

Chargers and Phone.jpg

Warp Charge Info.jpg

Now a lot of questions might spark your mind thinking, hmm "if it charges so fast, does that mean the battery will drain fast as well?" and the answer to that question is no. This phone pushes right through the day. I started my day at 9:00 am full charged and came home at around 8:30 pm with 32%. The OnePlus 8T is packed with a 4,500 mAh battery and within my testing, I got around 8hrs and 38 mins of screen on time which involves me checking my mail, social media, listening to music, watching tik toks and also taking pictures for this review while running at 120Hz and adaptive screen brightness.

Battery Info On The Phone.jpg

So imagine how much battery you can save if you lower the refresh rate down to 60Hz you might be able to squeeze in a little bit over 1 more hour of usage. But if you're going to play high demanding games like PUBG and Fortnite then the battery will of course drain way faster than that.

Phone In hand.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 1:51 PM

5. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Oct 15, 2020 at 11:32 AM

6. Rajendra.Bhat
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 15, 2020 at 11:33 AM

7. manuel19
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Oct 15, 2020 at 11:53 AM

8. JohnnyWereSorry
    Eclair Oct 15, 2020 at 12:10 PM

9. XyberPSK
    Cupcake Oct 15, 2020 at 12:14 PM

10. Dhruv Kashyap
    Honeycomb Oct 15, 2020 at 12:18 PM

11. sumitMZ007
    Honeycomb Oct 15, 2020 at 12:29 PM

Akku143 likes this.
  12. Bhuvnesh707
    Donut Oct 15, 2020 at 12:32 PM

Akku143 and drapatil like this.
  13. W1602759756991
    Cupcake Oct 15, 2020 at 12:40 PM

W1602759756991 , Oct 15, 2020 at 12:40 PM :
    I agree I also would have liked to have seen the 8T get the 865+ Although I would personally hold off on buying one untill Google sorts out the performance degradation issues currently plaguing android 11. Since the pixel also suffers from this issue it's obviously Google at fault and not OnePlus.

14. sumitMZ007
    Honeycomb Oct 15, 2020 at 12:44 PM

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Oct 15, 2020 at 12:44 PM :
    And regarding monochrome lens it's totally gimmick in itself.that type of effect can easily be applied by using inbuilt gallery filters and other apps do provide that..Camera department just occupied more space but didn't added any value to it..

RevidFfum and W1602759756991 like this.
  15. Sashank_10
    Froyo Oct 15, 2020 at 12:59 PM

16. sumitMZ007
    Honeycomb Oct 15, 2020 at 1:00 PM

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Oct 15, 2020 at 1:00 PM :
    And another thing why 8T has stock Google messaging app.why OnePlus message app is not there . does OnePlus 8T shares same genes that of Nord. this time ONEPLUS 8T is NOT THE T VARIANT we were looking for ..T= TORE DOWN VARIANT THIS TIME..IF A person pays 43k he should get the flagship killer things not subsidized things..

Bhuvnesh707 and Akku143 like this.
  17. Aritra Daspoddar
    Cupcake Oct 15, 2020 at 1:05 PM

18. ANUNADH
    Donut Oct 15, 2020 at 1:41 PM

19. Shahbas_P_P
    Cupcake Oct 15, 2020 at 1:47 PM

20. Rajnish_Dhull
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 15, 2020 at 1:52 PM