The Lab - OnePlus 9 Pro Reviewer Apr 28, 2021

Adesh.sanmukh likes this.
  3. rasta_firasta
    The Lab - OnePlus 9 Pro Reviewer Apr 29, 2021

Stickied Post
    rasta_firasta , Apr 29, 2021 :
    Part 2: Camera Review of the OnePlus 9 Pro

Hype?

Since the OnePlus has announced the collaboration with the Swedish camera manufacturer Hasselblad, lots of people have questions like does this collaboration worth it? As we know, the two companies have entered into a three-year partnership, starting with the OnePlus 9 series, aiming to take the smartphone camera experience to the next level.

So I am going to share my experiences with the OnePlus 9 Pro, to help you to understand the camera performance from a user perspective.

After taking few stunning long exposure shots, I took the Oneplus 9 Pro on the little trip to the Mountains, Golden mornings, Blue Sky, and the thousands of shades of Nature.

So let's have a look at some best ultra-wide images took on the OnePlus 9 Pro. All photos are edited with lightroom, except the unedited samples.

Imagine Wide: Capture Wide

I have already shared the Specs of the Ultrawide angle camera on the OnePlus 9 Pro. The 50MP Ultrawide sensor can deliver the best wide-angle photos possible from the smartphone camera. Which has a Sony IMX766 sensor with an aperture of f2.2.

As we know, Wide-angle lenses of mobile cameras create distortion, this time OnePlus has come up with a freeform lens to avoid the distortion at the edge of photos. Kudos to the freeform lens.

PSX_20210427_105312.jpg

After capturing a few images, I was surprised by the performance of the Ultra-wide camera on the OnePlus 9 Pro. Apart from distortion-free photos, details & colors looks pretty impressive.

PSX_20210427_143735.jpg

These pictures are from the western ghats of Maharashtra. I choose these places just because of the natural colors. As you can see, the OnePlus 9 Pro has performed very well with detailing and color processing.

PSX_20210427_143534.jpg

Shooting these straight trees with an Ultra-wide angle lens on the OnePlus 9 Pro was a different level experience for me. As you can see, there is no distortion in these images. Again, the colors of the golden hour captured perfectly.

PSX_20210427_141036.jpg
    Experiencing true freedom with the OnePlus 9 Pro.

PSX_20210428_112405.jpg
    Shepherd from the western ghats of Maharashtra.

By using the ultrawide angle lens, you can capture images from a different perspective. As you can see in the above pictures, I've captured these images from a low angle and covered the whole view with the main object to make it more creative.

Unedited Samples from Ultrawide angle lens

Here are some unedited samples from the Ultrawide camera.

PSX_20210428_104737.jpg

PSX_20210428_113724.jpg

PSX_20210428_114022.jpg

PSX_20210428_115214.jpg

As you can see in the unedited images, Ultrawide performs very well with details, sharpness, colors, and mainly distortion. But sometimes, I observed a bit more shadows or black in the photos. Otherwise, this is the best Ultrawide smartphone camera I've ever used.

While shooting with the OnePlus 9 Pro in daylight, I observed the heating issue with the device. I got the notification of the high temperature of the device after using it for around 30 Minutes. When I used the phone for long exposure photography for more than an hour, I didn't face this issue.

Overheating might be caused due to heavy usage of the camera with high brightness, high outdoor temperature, and direct sunlight. As in a recent system update, Oneplus has worked on a temperature control strategy. So I will monitor this issue on the device and will update the same in upcoming threads.

Comment your views on this issue if still, someone is experiencing the same.

Tips for Wide-angle Photography
    1. Try to shoot low angles
    2. Try to shoot vertically, as vertical results are better than horizontal.
    3. Watch leading lines.
    4. Avoid distortion by keeping the camera perpendicular with lines.
    5. Always keep the human element in the middle of the frame.
    Long Exposure Photography with Pro Mode

Thank you for the overwhelming response to the recent thread on long-exposure Photography. As it's pre-monsoon season in India, I got a chance to shoot these stunning lightning strikes. Both images are captured by using the pro mode and edited on lightroom to meet my expectations.

Pro mode Settings : ISO: 250, Exposure Time: 5 Sec, WB: 4600K and Focus; Infinity

PSX_20210427_220924.jpg

I've captured these photos at 5 sec of exposure time, but I'll recommend increasing it up to 10-20Sec. By using more exposure time you'll not miss the lightning strike.

PSX_20210427_220731.jpg

Also, I am very impressed with the Pro mode of the Oneplus 9 Pro. While doing long exposure photography, most of the phone delivers smoothen images. Especially while shooting lightning or steel wool, the focus is the main issue. But I am amazed by the detailed and sharp output from the OnePlus 9 Pro.

Basic Tips to capture lightning pictures
    1. Track lightning by using weather Apps.
    2. Safety first! Find a safe place to shoot lightning. (Building, Car, Window, etc)
    3. Avoid overly exposed location.
    4. Use a tripod to avoid shaky/blurry images
    5. Set phone on a tripod with given Pro mode settings.
    6. As lightning covers most of the sky, so I will recommend using 70% of the sky and 30% of the ground for better composition.
    7. Experiment with ISO & WB to get better results as per lighting situation.
    8. Try to shoot in RAW mode for more details.

Hope this review and pictures will help you to understand the Camera quality and performance of the OnePlus 9 pro. I will come back with another feature of the camera and some best photos.

Also, if there are any queries related to the device or the camera please feel free to ask.

Important: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic in India, we have strict restrictions for traveling as per new rules & regulations of the lockdown. So I will try to create some good content at home in this time of crisis.

Hope all are safe and fine. Take care of yourself and your family.

Thank You!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021 at 1:00 PM

4. Mohan_G

Mohan_G , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 29, 2021 :
    I like the ultrawide image of the shepherd [e]1f60d[/e]. Good work bro . Lightning photography is one of my fav genre but this year no rain yet. Eagerly waiting to click

rasta_firasta likes this.
  5. rasta_firasta

rasta_firasta , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 29, 2021 :
    Thanks Mohan 😀🙌

6. NShankaraN
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 29, 2021

7. Gillysixpence
    Gingerbread Apr 30, 2021

Gillysixpence , via OnePlus 8 , Apr 30, 2021 :
    Hi, I just want to say great review. Your photos are stunning & if anything was going to persuade me to buy this phone those shots would, beautiful work & very creative.

8. rasta_firasta
    The Lab - OnePlus 9 Pro Reviewer Apr 30, 2021

rasta_firasta , Apr 30, 2021 :
    Thanks a lot! Gald you liked it. :)

Gillysixpence likes this.
  9. rasta_firasta
    The Lab - OnePlus 9 Pro Reviewer Apr 30, 2021

rasta_firasta , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 30, 2021 :
    1619763008940.jpg
    Shot on primary camera

1619763044082.jpg
    Ultra wide camera

As you can see there is no color difference between primary and ultra-wide pictures 😊

And thank you for your words...Glad you liked the pictures! :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021

NShankaraN and Gillysixpence like this.
  10. rasta_firasta
    The Lab - OnePlus 9 Pro Reviewer May 5, 2021

11. rasta_firasta

12. rasta_firasta

13. rasta_firasta

14. rasta_firasta

Junjun Baccay likes this.
  15. rasta_firasta

16. rasta_firasta

17. rasta_firasta

rasta_firasta , May 5, 2021 :
    Hey there! Can i help you with anything about Oneplus 9 Pro? If any query feel free to ask☺️

18. rasta_firasta

Last edited: May 7, 2021

19. rasta_firasta

rasta_firasta , May 5, 2021 :
    Yes 🤩 So when r u planning to buy one? 😃

20. DurgeshGN
    Donut May 6, 2021