[The LAB] OnePlus 9 Pro REVIEW : A giant leap for OnePlus?

1. Tilak G.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 26, 2021

Tilak G. , Mar 26, 2021 :
    Splendid writing Brother and shots are so crisp. Did you use the 9 pro to capture the rest of the photos of the remaining contents of box?
    How does the Mobile gripping feel without the case on?
    Looking forward for the rest of your review. Best of luck and You did really great with this unboxing one.

2. Karun Deep
    Jelly Bean Mar 26, 2021

Karun Deep , Mar 26, 2021 :
    Great start to your review buddy, As expected clicks are wonderful
    This is really awesome. We are waiting for later part....

3. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 26, 2021

Nipu_1998 , via OnePlus 9 Pro co-developed with Hasselblad , Mar 26, 2021 :
    Thanks a lot bro .It's not a fern; but the reflections of coconut leaves 😅.
    The reflective back is so difficult to shoot.
    Will correct the hyperlink. Thanks for getting it into my notice.

4. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 26, 2021

KaranRIyer , Mar 26, 2021 :
    Ah no i got those are coconut leaves right away.. but the design is similar

Adesh.sanmukh and Nipu_1998 like this.
  5. Nipu_1998

Nipu_1998 , Mar 26, 2021 :
    Thank you Brother.
    All the shots are from OnePlus 8T.
    The back panel is a bit slippery tbh, but the sleek design with rounded off edges helps in the grip. Also, i have pretty big hands and so could easily grip the device. The back panel do catch occasional fingerprints and smudges but far less than the back panels of Iphone 11 and 12 . Overall, a pretty good glossy design

6. Nipu_1998

Nipu_1998 , Mar 26, 2021 :
    yeah...they do look a lot like fern leaves in the image.

Adesh.sanmukh, hennes and KaranRIyer like this.
  7. Tilak G.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 26, 2021

Tilak G. , Mar 26, 2021 :
    Thanks for sharing. My hands are really really small 😅
    Hoping some cool photography testings from you.

8. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Mar 26, 2021

Starcommander , Mar 26, 2021 :
    😍😍👌👌👌
    Very nice review Nipu 😍❤️

9. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 27, 2021

10. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Mar 27, 2021

Shailender Sharma , Mar 27, 2021 :
    Pretty impressive header picture :) A nice read overall.:)
    1569685-e59d60c7b44c56bd742417a7e05cb6dd.jpeg
    I am interested in knowing three things, First the Fluid display 2.0 with dynamic refresh rate from 1Hz-120Hz for the 9 Pro panel, depending on the content shown.

Is the camera is as good as boasted? Lots of available reviews online saying that except the Nightscape mode nothing beats the flagship competition and Hasselblad colour accuracy is a hit and miss sometimes.

How is battery life of the device? Daily normal usage and at full throttle usage with lots of gaming.

High expectations from your full review. Cheers! :)

11. ri4life
    Eclair Mar 27, 2021

ri4life , Mar 27, 2021 :
    Nice Phone...Google Pay not functioning....Says device may have been modified. Thanks Oneplus

Adesh.sanmukh likes this.

Adesh.sanmukh and Nipu_1998 like this.
  13. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 27, 2021

14. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 28, 2021

Stickied Post
    Nipu_1998 , Mar 28, 2021 :
    2/11

DESIGN

IMG_20210327_170115-01.jpeg said:

OnePlus has gone with a minimalistic and burdenless design for the OnePlus 9 Pro. The design of the phone is not something that stands out from the rest of the flagships out there. The OnePlus 9 Pro’s design seems to have taken cues from that of the OnePlus 8 pro and the 8T with slight tweaks and improvements.

IMG_20210327_162749__01.jpg
    The device has a 6.7 inch curved AMOLED screen with a single punch hole to the top left corner and has minimal bezels surrounding the screen. OnePlus has trimmed down the curvature of the screen when compared to the OnePlus 8 pro and this helps in solving the issues like discoloration at the edges and ghost touches to a large extent.
    PXL_20210327_110311975-01.jpeg
    [The 6.7 inch gorgeous fluid AMOLED display]

IMG_20210327_164627.jpg
    The device with its flagship sized display has a pretty big footprint with its dimensions measuring 16.32 cm x 7.36 cm x 0.87 cm and weighs 197 g. Regardless of those big numbers, the device offers a great in-hand feel. The well-engineered weight distribution and sleek design make the device comfortable to hold even for a long period.
    The device comes with a solid glass and metal sandwich build with Gorilla Glass 5 to the front and the back. OnePlus has gone with Gorilla Glass 5 instead of the Gorilla Glass Victus. So you may miss out on some extra grades of shatter resistance.
    The OnePlus 9 pro is available in 3 different colours and finishes namely, the Morning mist, pine green and Stellar black spotting glossy, matte and sandstone finishes respectively. The device I have been testing is the Glossy Morning Mist variant. The Morning Mist has a beautiful gradient finish shimmering from silver to black depending upon the angle of vision. Even though the device looks and feels premium, the glossy finish comes with its caveats -The back panel, being a glossy one, tends to attract a lot of fingerprints and smudges and require constant wipes to keep it clean. The glossy back also tends to make the phone slippery at times. I would suggest getting the other 2 finishes if you are planning to rock the device without a case just like MKBHD or else it's better to use the device with a case slapped on.
    IMG_20210325_150556 (1).jpg

IMG_20210327_171209.jpg
    [These tiny dots creates the gradient pattern of the finish]
    The back of the phone is clean and elegant with the OnePlus branding at the centre and a fairly large camera module in the top left corner. The Camera module houses a 48 MP primary camera, a 50MP ultrawide camera, a 3.3x 8MP telephoto camera, a 2 MP monochrome sensor, a laser AF module, dual-tone LED flash, video microphone and the iconic Hasselblad branding. The Main and the ultrawide lenses with their prominent silver ring adds a bit of character to the back of the device. The phone does wobble when kept on flat surfaces due to the camera bump.
    PXL_20210325_113722712 (1).jpg

Speaking of the ports, the bottom part of the device houses the secondary speaker grill which completes the dual stereo speaker setup, a primary microphone, a Type C 3.1-Gen 1 port and the sim tray ( my device being the Indian variant has support for dual sim cards). The device does miss out on a 3.5 mm headphone jack and a Micro SD expansion slot.
    IMG_20210327_170449.jpg
    The frame houses the volume rockers to the left, the alert slider and the power button to the right. The top houses the secondary noise-cancelling microphone.

IMG_20210327_170340.jpg

IMG_20210327_170556.jpg
    IMG_20210326_131154.jpg
    The buttons are constructed from metal and are ergonomically placed such that they won’t interfere with the usability of the device in landscape orientation. The buttons offer great tactile feedback and the alert slider has got an ample amount of resistance and is an added convenience to the user.
    IMG20210328070519-01.jpeg
    The In-display fingerprint sensor has been shifted to a much lower position when compared to the OnePlus 8 series and will require some retraining of your muscle memory to get used to. Luckily, the change doesn’t affect the ergonomics and usability of the device. The fingerprint sensor is also fast, accurate and reliable.

IMG_20210327_172025.jpg
    The OnePlus 9 Pro do have all those bells and whistles of a flagship device like support for 50 W wireless charging, reverse wireless charging and an official IP 68 water and dust resistance rating.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021

carlosgm13, superplus, SRD. and 14 others like this.
  15. pkg3107
    Honeycomb Mar 28, 2021

Nipu_1998 likes this.
  16. girlinthebigcity
    Eclair Mar 28, 2021

girlinthebigcity , Mar 28, 2021 :
    Received my new OnePlus 9 yesterday, so stoked! Did you guys get a free back case in the box? I didn't get it and I have seen many unboxing videos where people got it.

Nipu_1998 likes this.
  17. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 29, 2021

hennes and girlinthebigcity like this.
  18. Nipu_1998

Nipu_1998 , via OnePlus 9 Pro co-developed with Hasselblad , Mar 29, 2021 :
    Thanks a lot brother.
    Will answer these questions in the rest of the review

19. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 29, 2021

KaranRIyer , Mar 29, 2021 :
    Wow you too playing with your warranty like that is brave i believe.. i meant the splashing with water part.. lol.. Great shots and wonderful waiting for rest.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021

Shailender Sharma and Nipu_1998 like this.
  20. Nipu_1998

Stickied Post
    Nipu_1998 , Mar 29, 2021 :
    3/11

DISPLAY

The display of a device is the portal through which the user interacts with the device and it forms the key determinant in the user experience. OnePlus has always focused on delivering leading-edge displays in its devices. OnePlus 9 Pro follows the legacy and delivers one of the most advanced displays with top of the line hardware and software features. said:

PXL_20210327_110311975 (1).jpg
    The device has a gorgeous and vibrant 6.7 inch, QHD+, 10- bit LTPO AMOLED display with minimally curved edges that slowly blends with the frame. The curve has been skillfully toned down to minimize the off-axis and accidental touches. The curved screen offers an immersive viewing experience and also makes the swipe gestures a lot smoother too. Even though I am a fan of flat-screen panels, I love the implementation in the OnePlus 9 Pro.
    OnePlus has opted for a Samsung made E4 AMOLED panel for the device. The panel is based on the new E4 LTPO technology from Samsung and is fairly power efficient, thin, colour accurate and can also get fairly bright up to 1300 nits. The display has the top of line features like a maximum supported resolution of 3216 x 1440 pixels with a pixel density of 525ppi. The new LTPO (Low-temperature polycrystalline oxide) panel supports the new Fluid Display 2.0 from OnePlus and this enables the device to dynamically adjust the refresh rate from 1 Hz to 120 Hz depending upon the content on the display. The transition from 1 Hz to 120 Hz is smooth and unnoticeable for the most part, but occasionally i noticed some stutters and lags in the UI while switching from static to dynamic content especially when the device was running warm. The panel has a peak brightness of 1300 nits at the automatic settings and is also a Display mate A+ graded panel with a native 10-bit colour depth, HDR10+ certification. The panel produces excellent calibrated colours and is one of the most accurate panels with natural colour reproduction.
    Keeping all those specs aside, the display is crisp, vibrant, smooth and colour accurate. I enjoyed watching a lot of content on this gorgeous panel. The HDR performance is top class with contrast levels and peak brightness. Everything looked so accurate and detailed on the display.
    IMG_20210311_154231-01.jpeg

The display offers good daylight visibility and viewing angles. The panel with its efficient 8192 levels of adaptive brightness levels, managed to remain fairly visible even under the harsh mid-noon sun. On the other extreme, the panel can also get fairly dim and I had no issues using the device in a dark room.

The display also has some software features up its sleeve like comfort tone, MEMC, ultra-high Res video, vibrant colour effect pro and Hyper touch feature.
    PicsArt_03-29-03.49.26.jpg
    The comfort tone feature uses the RGB ambient light sensor in the device to detect the colour temperature of the room and dynamically adjusts the screen’s colour temperature accordingly. This feature along with the adaptive brightness offers an excellent viewing experience regardless of how harsh the lighting conditions can get.

MEMC (Motion Estimation Motion Compensation) is a feature that helps for a smooth viewing experience. This feature uses frame interpolation and upscaling techniques to convert the normal 24/30 fps videos to 60fps and this makes the content appear smoother while watching content on supported apps like Netflix, YouTube, Amazon prime video and the In-built gallery app. In my experience, I found that the MEMC at times can interfere with the feel of a movie by pumping in those extra frames and can also result in ghosting of frames. The software manipulated frames can also cause a reduction in the sharpness and clarity too. Lucky for us, OnePlus has included a toggle to turn off this feature and also lets the user know whenever the system starts to manipulate the frames with a pop-up warning on the screen.

The Ultra Hi-Res video is another software feature that uses AI to enhance video clarity in apps like Instagram.

The Vibrant colour effect pro feature enables the conversion of normal SDR tone to HDR tone. This helps in increasing the colour vibrancy.

The Hyper-touch feature is a gamer-centric feature that reduces the touch response time of the screen and elevates the gaming experience. When the setting is enabled, the touch response rates are bumped up from 240hz to 360 Hz in supporting titles like COD, League Of Legends, Brawl stars and PUBG mobile.
    The other display features like vision comfort, reading mode and a system-wide dark mode are also seen in the device. The vision comfort mode helps to reduce the blue light emissions from the screen and is helpful while using the device in dimly lit environments.
    For those who are concerned about the quality of the panel, I am happy to report that the OnePlus 9 Pro’s display has no concerning issues like discolorations, tinting, black crush, hole-punch banding.
    IMG_20210311_153927-01.jpeg

IMG_20210311_153438-01 (1).jpeg

OnePlus also offers a good level of customisation in the display settings like the ability to switch between the colour profiles, set the resolution and refresh rates.
    In the refresh rate settings, we only get the option to choose between smart 120 Hz and normal 60 Hz. There are no options to set the refresh rate at a constant 120 Hz or to a refresh rate like 90 Hz.
    PicsArt_03-29-03.48.34.jpg

IMG_20210327_163430__01.jpg

Overall the OnePlus 9 Pro has the best display available on any smartphone right now in terms of quality and the features.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021

carlosgm13, superplus, SRD. and 12 others like this.