[The LAB] OnePlus 9 Pro REVIEW : A giant leap for OnePlus?

1. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 29, 2021

KaranRIyer , Mar 29, 2021 :
    great shots & great writing 👍

Shailender Sharma and Nipu_1998 like this.
  2. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 29, 2021

Stickied Post
    Nipu_1998 , Mar 29, 2021 :
    4/11

BATTERY LIFE AND CHARGING

The OnePlus 9 PRO comes with a 4500 mAh dual-cell battery which is composed of 2 individual cells each with a capacity of 2250 mAh. said:
    PXL_20210327_110705372.jpg

BATTERY LIFE

Battery life is the only thing that is not so pro about the OnePlus 9 pro. The battery life can be called a one-day battery life for medium usage conditions including casual browsing, social media usage, and camera usage. But if you are a heavy user who plays demanding titles and shoots a lot of photos and videos, you are gonna need a quick top-up of the battery to power you till the end of the day.

With my usage case involving browsing the web, social media including WhatsApp, Instagram, Telegram, a couple of hours on YouTube, and camera usage, I managed to get about 4-5 hours of SOT and ended the days with almost 10% of battery left in the tank. During my period of testing, the device was set on Smart resolution ( Automatically switching between FHD+ and QHD+ depending upon the content ), Smart refresh rate (the refresh rate switching from 1 Hz to 120 Hz depending upon the content), and the Adaptive brightness and comfort modes were also turned on during the entire period.
    Screenshot_20210329-194137.jpg
    I was expecting the 9 Pro to have a better battery life than my OnePlus 8T which used to give around 6-7 hours of SOT on similar usage scenarios considering the power-efficient SD 888 chipset and LTPO panel which claims to consume about 50% less power than conventional AMOLED panels.
    IMG_20210327_062855-01.jpeg

CHARGING
    IMG_20210327_184328-01.jpeg

OnePlus 9 Pro is one of the fastest charging phones available to the masses right now. The device ships with a 65 W fast charger in the box which OnePlus calls the WARP CHARGE 65T and is an improved version of the WARP CHARGE 65 technology that we saw in the OnePlus 8T. Even though the charging bricks are identical, OnePlus claims that the OnePlus 9 Pro could achieve faster-charging speeds than the OnePlus 8T, owing to the new cell design which has a lower internal resistance value and can pump more current thereby increasing the charging speeds.
    In my testing, I got a 0-100% charging time of 36-38 minutes with the OnePlus 9 Pro and this is an improvement over the 40-43 minutes of the OnePlus 8T.
    The charging temperatures are also kept under normal values. Strangely the internal thermal sensor data shows "OVERHEATING" in the CPU-Z and DevVCheck applications ( this may be due to the early software builds the device is running on or due to problems in the optimization of these applications for the model. Will update the thread after the next software patch)
    PicsArt_03-29-07.50.09.jpg
    The device also has support for 50W wireless charging, which is a considerable leap over the 30 W wireless charging which we saw on the OnePlus 8 Pro. The device also supports reverse wireless charging and will come in handy to quickly top up your wearable devices and other wireless charging supported devices on the go. ( I was not able to test the wireless charging feature due to the lack of stock of the 50W wireless charger on the OnePlus online store).
    PicsArt_03-29-07.44.29.jpg

OnePlus has implemented its Optimized charging feature to the device and this feature when enabled will help to save the battery health by preventing overcharging.The feature uses AI algorithms to adjust the charging speeds according to your daily routine. I feel that OnePlus could have implemented some other features like the charge level limiter similar to what we saw on the ROG phones and some other flagships last year. This would have been an added layer of protection to the battery.
    The Warp Charge 65T compensates for the average battery life and has got your back whenever you need a quick top up.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021

superplus, SRD., the_o2 and 13 others like this.
  3. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 29, 2021

KaranRIyer , Mar 29, 2021 :
    • Hmm the Pro lacks on Battery but i guess that was expected with 120Hz, although Nord gives a better battery life than this..
    • Its a shame you couldn't get the wireless battery. Your photos are excellent...
    • Nice writing again

Shailender Sharma and Nipu_1998 like this.
  4. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 29, 2021

Nipu_1998 , via OnePlus 9 Pro co-developed with Hasselblad , Mar 29, 2021 :
    Thanks bro,
    120 Hz in the OnePlus 8T( which i was using as my daily driver) used to give more SOT than 9 pro.
    The QHD+ resolution may be the cause i think.
    Another probable cause could be the lack of optimisation with the SD 888. Future software updates could improve the results i think.

hennes and KaranRIyer like this.
  5. Girish.Pranav
    Jelly Bean Mar 30, 2021

6. Fluffeepuff
    Donut Mar 30, 2021

Fluffeepuff , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Can you share where you got the images (or app?) that let you check color banding, black crush, etc? I would love to check this as well when my OP 9 Pro arrives this week.

Great review this far! It's a shame the battery life regressed substantially over the previous year's version. Hopefully we'll be able to gain an hour of SoT with software optimizations in the future.

Nipu_1998 likes this.
  7. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 30, 2021

Nipu_1998 , via OnePlus 9 Pro co-developed with Hasselblad , Mar 30, 2021 :
    I used a couple of test videos available in youtube to test the screen

8. Fluffeepuff
    Donut Mar 30, 2021

Fluffeepuff , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nipu_1998 likes this.
  9. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 31, 2021

Stickied Post
    Nipu_1998 , Mar 31, 2021 :
    5/11

PERFORMANCE

The OnePlus 9 Pro is a true flagship when it comes to performance. The device is powered by the latest and greatest Snapdragon 888 which is fabricated on the new 5nm process from Samsung. The SD 888 is an octa-core CPU that has a single ARM Cortex-X1 core clocked at up to 2.84 GHz, three Cortex-A78 cores clocked at up to 2.41 GHz, and four Cortex-A55 cores clocked at up to 1.80 GHz. The processor also features the Adreno 660 GPU. As per claims the SD 888 is said to have 25% faster CPU performance and 35% better GPU performance compared to the Snapdragon 865 which we saw on the OnePlus 8 series devices. The device which I was testing was the top-of-the-line variant equipped with 12GB of LPDDR5 RAM and 256 GB of fast UFS 3.1 storage.

SYNTHETIC BENCHMARK TESTS

To push the device to its limits and analyze the performance, I used a couple of synthetic benchmark applications like AnTuTu V9.0.1-0B, Geek Bench 5, and PC Mark.

Here are the results

PicsArt_03-31-06.49.50.jpg

PicsArt_03-31-06.51.49.jpg

PicsArt_03-30-09.54.34.jpg

PicsArt_03-30-07.30.33.jpg
    (crossing the AnTuTu score of 8 lakh with active cooling under artificially made testing condition Ps: The device does not come with active cooling)

PicsArt_03-30-07.26.11.jpg

PicsArt_03-30-07.27.12.jpg
    (Holds the peak performance well under extended CPU load)

PicsArt_03-30-07.28.32.jpg
    (The UFS 3.1 storage in action)

These benchmarks could only test the raw performance of the device and gives a rough idea about the capacity of the hardware inside. The true flagship experience is completed by the magical tough from OnePlus in the form of those optimizations that make their phones feel the fastest among other android flagships out there.

REAL WORLD USAGE

The OnePlus 9 pro is a solid performer when it comes to handling day-to-day tasks. The device with its sheer power was able to handle even heavy tasks like video editing, rendering, file compression, and gaming without even breaking a sweat. The SD 888 combined with fast RAM and 120 Hz fluid AMOLED screen makes everything feel as smooth as butter. The app opening times and switching between apps felt instantaneous. The addition of new features like RAM virtualization and Turbo boost 3.0 helps a lot in keeping even the most demanding titles in memory along with a long row of apps. The thermal performance of the device is also pretty good except for a weird heating issue while using the camera (On continuous usage of the camera app for more than 10 minutes in outdoor conditions, the phone shows overheating warnings and refuses to click pictures or record videos. The device also gets extremely warm around the camera module and during these episodes, the UI feels extremely laggy and shows signs of stutter).
    The issue may be due to some weird bug in the camera app since the device was able to hold its peak performance in stress tests for an extended period and with only a slight dip in performance.

The device was able to play titles like COD at the maximum graphics and frame rate settings without any hiccups.

Screenshot_20210403-092501_2923542ffeefa041adc0c105fc5bf76c.jpg
    (default settings in COD mobile )

The gameplay was really smooth and i really enjoyed playing my favourite titles on the device. The new hyper-touch feature helps in reducing the response time and gives us an advantage over the opponents especially during close combats sessions. The new cooling system does its job well and even though the gets a little warmer ( not something to worry about) after multiple COD sessions, the heat was evenly distributed and no major performance drops were noticed. But on my testing, I have noticed the device showing higher CPU and battery temperature values when compared to other devices like the OnePlus 8T during regular day-to day usage. If you are a semi-pro gamer, the OnePlus 9 Pro would be a great choice for you and can run almost all games and you won’t be disappointed by its performance.

The dedicated Pro Gaming Mode (rebranded Fnatic mode) helps in blocking notifications from apps, calls, and other distractions so you can play your favourite titles without any interruption.

Screenshot_20210403-101200__01__01.jpg

Screenshot_20210403-101227__01__01.jpg

The haptics in this device is also class-leading and I felt it to be more refined than the already good haptics of the OnePlus 8T. OnePlus has carefully integrated the fine-tuned haptic feedbacks all over the UI and it adds to the user experience of the device.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021

10. meatandy
    Oreo Mar 31, 2021

meatandy , Mar 31, 2021 :
    I was going to ask if he was writing his review from the roof tops .:cool:

11. meatandy
    Oreo Mar 31, 2021

meatandy , Mar 31, 2021 :
    You have a nice review going Nipu , I actually like the picture of the charging cable coiled up on the textured shingles.

12. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 31, 2021

hennes and meatandy like this.
  13. J1579018029223
    Gingerbread Apr 1, 2021

14. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 1, 2021

Nipu_1998 , Apr 1, 2021 :
    Not, in my testing
    the marketing claims are made under simulated conditions.
    The actual charging times can also depend upon multiple factors like the ambient room temperature and the temperature of the device.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 9:19 AM

meatandy, McJader and hennes like this.
  15. J1579018029223
    Gingerbread Apr 1, 2021

16. Nipu_1998

McJader and hennes like this.
  17. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Apr 1, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Apr 1, 2021 :
    Gimme those stickers!😍
    Not a fan of that...
    DAMN, which device did you use to capture this photo? We can literally see the individual dots on zooming the photo
    Oof even a logo on that screen would look beautiful
    You can add hyperlinks to these by getting the permalink for each post in respective topic

Great review! Loved the shots!
    Can you test out the brightness in outdoor sunlight once with a picture?

McJader, KaranRIyer and Nipu_1998 like this.
  18. Nipu_1998

Nipu_1998 , via OnePlus 9 Pro co-developed with Hasselblad , Apr 1, 2021 :
    Thanks brother for the suggestions.
    Will be adding the sunlight visibility images soon.
    By the way, the dots were captured on the OnePlus 8T's macro camera

19. Vanstra
    Gingerbread Apr 1, 2021

Vanstra , Apr 1, 2021 :
    Yes, me. Heart breaking.

Nipu_1998 likes this.
  20. OnePlus 9 Pro
    Froyo Apr 1, 2021

OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 1, 2021 :
    I totally agree. I've noticed that the battery life seems to drain quickly, even if you don't do anything with it.

Nipu_1998 likes this.