The Lab - OnePlus 9 Review

1. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 24, 2021

Stickied Post
    TheBlitz7 , Mar 24, 2021 :
    Introduction
    Hello everyone, my name is Dylan and I’m honored to be part of The Lab reviewers team. As a tech enthusiast this is a great opportunity to test the latest product from OnePlus and inform you about the features. I want to thank @Crystal Z., @Eric X., @dsmonteiro and everyone behind the scenes for making this possible!

I’m currently studying IT Forensics. Besides IT, I’m interested in photography, cars and everything related to technology. I like to experiment with photography and videography while capturing different objects. I’m a Android user since 2012 and one of the first things I did on my new phone back in the days was rooting it and testing different ROM’s. I’ve been following OnePlus since the invitation system to buy a phone and lately I’ve been using different OnePlus products, from wireless earphones to smartphones.

As a hobby photographer I’m happy to test the new partnership between OnePlus and Hasselblad. As some of you know Hasselblad is a leading manufacturer when it comes to phoptography and that’s why I’m thrilled to see the result of this partnership.

OnePlus sent out a OnePlus 9 for this review. Besides the honest written review, I’ll add pictures and videos to showcase the beauty of the product. So let’s start with the review!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments, I’d be more than happy to answer!

Contents

Unboxing experience

What's in the box?
    Specifications
    Overview of the technical specs
    Design
    Design and hardware
    Camera - Photos
    Camera test with photo sample shots
    Camera - Videos

Camera test with video sample shots
    OxygenOS, RAM & CPU
    The "thing" that seperates OnePlus from the competition
    Battery & Charging
    How long can the device last and how fast does it charge?
    Conclusion
    Do I recommend this device?

Unboxing experience
    What I’ve always liked about OnePlus, besides the phones of course (😉), is the unboxing experience.

Unboxing the OnePlus 9
    I personally love the soft-touch of the box and the signature OnePlus red colour. First thing you’ll see is the OnePlus 9 5G and Hasselblad branding: the design of the box is simple but delivers a premium experience.

DSC01828-bewerkt.jpg
    The beautiful signature red box from OnePlus

In the box you’ll find the following contents:
    • OnePlus 9
    • Warp Charger
    • USB-C to USB-C cable
    • Transparent back cover
    • Quick Start Guide
    • Safety information
    • SAR information
    • Welcome letter
    • SIM ejector tool
    Unfortunately, there are no OnePlus stickers included.

DSC01860-bewerkt-bewerkt-2.jpg
    Contents of the box

The invitation letter is a personal message from Pete Lau and describes the role of the community in the process of developing new products. It’s nice to see OnePlus listens to user feedback.

DSC01852-bewerkt-2.jpg
    What are you waiting for, sign up for the OnePlus community! 😉
    The documentation is minimalistic and clear. Even the charger and cable are themed in the signature OnePlus colours. The cable itself is sturdy and flexible, it doesn’t feel like one of those flimsy Apple cables that’ll break after a few months. The red colour makes it easy to find between my other black and white cables. I like the fact that OnePlus included cable organizers with the cable so that I can neatly store the cable.

DSC01849.jpg
    One charger for all your devices!
    The charging brick is small, yet so powerful. How small you may ask? I can fit the charger in my pocket (not that I normally fit a charger in my pocket, but just to describe how small it is). I still can’t wrap my head around the fact that such a small charger is capable of charging laptops, handheld consoles, wireless earphones and smartphones. Imagine going on a trip and packing only one charger for all your gear instead of packing multiple chargers and a large power brick for a laptop. That's definitely a game changer!

Last but not least, a clear back cover for your precious new phone. The case itself is thin and wraps around the edges of the OnePlus 9 to protect the screen from impact when you accidentally drop your phone. The edges of the case have a matte finish which makes it feel good in the hand. To finish that the slogan of OnePlus, Never Settle, is visible on the case. I love the font and the smaller font size, compared to previous generation where the font size was bigger. The buttons still feel "clicky" with the phone in the case. I actually like the weight it adds to the phone, which makes it heavier in the hand and gives a premium feeling. With such a beautiful phone you have to make a trade-off between protecting your phone and seeing the beautiful back of the OnePlus 9. Good to know: there is a pre-applied screen protector on the display of the phone.

DSC01871-bewerkt.jpg
    The transparent case makes you still see the back of the phone
    This was it for the unboxing part. If you have any questions, let me know in the comments! I'm curious what your opinion is on the unboxing part and what you like or don't like. In the upcoming days I'll add more content regarding different features of the OnePlus 9. What do you guys want me to focus on the most for the upcoming review?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021

2. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 29, 2021

Stickied Post
    TheBlitz7 , Mar 29, 2021 :
    Specifications
    For this review OnePlus sent out the OnePlus 9 in the Winter Mist variant, which has 12GB RAM and 256GB storage.

This is a short overview of the specifications:
    • Screen: 6,55" Fluid AMOLED (2400 x 1080 pixels - 402 ppi - 120Hz)
    • CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 888
    • GPU: Adreno 660
    • Battery: 4500 mAh
    • RAM: 12GB LPDDR5
    • Storage: 256GB UFS 3.1
    Full specifications can be found via the following link:

3. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 29, 2021

Stickied Post
    TheBlitz7 , Mar 29, 2021 :
    Design
    First thing I want to say: the pictures don’t do justice to it’s real colour and design.

Naamloos1-2.jpg
    The OnePlus 9 in its full glory
    So this is the OnePlus 9 in Winter Mist. The colour resembles the real winter mist which is visible during winter mornings. The back of the phone has a light lilac purple gradient from the top towards the bottom of the phone. When I saw the teaser of the phone with the purple OnePlus 9 and the grey OnePlus 9 Pro, I honestly didn’t like the purple at all. That changed the moment I unboxed the phone, I was amazed with the design and the colour of the phone. The Winter Mist variant is different from every angle: from one angle it looks like purple and from another angle it looks like there is a bit of pink mixed in.

In my opinion there is not much that can be changed when it comes to smartphone designs. Most modern phones deliver a full screen experience with either a hole-punch or notch for the selfie camera and a camera “bump” on the back of the phone with a multi-lens setup. The OnePlus 9 implements those things in it’s own way and I think OnePlus did a wonderful job this generation. The back of the phone is made out of glass and the frame is made out of fiberglass-reinforced polymer. When I unboxed the phone I didn’t even notice the frame was made of this material. It looked and felt like metal, the glossy finish adds to this. When I read the reviewer’s guide I noticed the frame was not metal. I was surprised that OnePlus made the choice to not use a metal frame at this price point. As I said, the frame itself felt like metal to me and it still feels and looks premium with the glossy finish. It’s too early to say how this will hold up in the future with scratches, but it makes sense for OnePlus to cut corners to implement those impressive specs for a reasonable price. On the back of the phone you’ll see a camera bump with three lenses, a flash, the Hasselblad branding and a centered OnePlus logo.

DSC01882-bewerkt.jpg
    The beautiful Winter Mist with the refreshing camera design
    From top to bottom you’ll see the ultra-wide camera, the main camera and a monochrome camera. The main camera and the ultra-wide camera both have a bump with a silver ring around the lens. I love the fact that OnePlus made a refreshing design with both the ultra-wide and main camera sticking out a bit more than the camera bump on the back of the phone. A downside of this is that the phone isn’t laying flat on a table, so when you press on the screen it moves around. The included transparent back cover fixes this problem and you can still see the beautiful back of the phone. The placement of the cameras is a notable thing. Sometimes I find myself touching one of the lenses when operating the phone with one hand. This usually happens when I want to reach for the fingerprint scanner or want touch a setting in the quick settings tiles. I think this depends on the person and how you're holding your phone.

DSC01853-bewerkt.jpg
    The included transparent case
    The Winter Mist variant of the OnePlus 9 is a fingerprint magnet, because of the glass back. I found myself wiping the phone everytime I wanted to take a photo. I had no problems holding the phone in my hand without it sliding down. I would love to see the Winter Mist in a matte finish, but OnePlus also made a Arctic Sky and Astral Black variant, the first one has a matte glass finish and the latter one has a matte black film underneath the glossy glas that reduces fingerprints.

I can easily reach all the buttons on the frame of the phone with one hand, mind you I’ve small hands. The buttons are clicky and the volume slider is solid and stiff. This means it won’t switch modes when you pull it out of your pocket. On the left side of the phone you'll find the volume rocker, on the right side the volume slider and the power button. The bottom of the phone houses a speaker, USB-C port, the SIM tray and one of the two microphones. The other microphone is positioned on top of the device. The OnePlus 9 has stereo speakers onboard with Dolby Atmos support. The speakers are loud and clear. As I've said with the OnePlus 8T: the phone makes the movie or music come alive. Dolby Atmos is capable of giving the user a 360-degree experience. This means it projects sound behind the person to deliver a cinema-like experience.

DSC01844-bewerkttest.jpg
    The OnePlus 9 from different angles. So beautiful and thin!? :eek:
    The OnePlus 9 houses a 6,55” Fluid Display. The Fluid Display stands for a 120Hz AMOLED panel. In the week that I’ve used the device I tried 60Hz for half an hour but immediately switched back to 120Hz. It’s just so smooth and makes the device feel even faster, so why would you even want to use 60Hz? 😉

Another plus is the flat display. I’ve used the OnePlus 7T Pro in the past and I loved the curved display, it made the device look even more premium. However, the OnePlus 9 feels better in the hand, it’s light weight and I can easily reach the top of the screen without accidental touches on the sides of the display. The automatic brightness is very accurate on this phone and it gets really bright in sunny conditions, the display is capable of going up to 1.100 nits. One thing I’ve noticed when I used the device in the dark, is that the automatic brightness doesn’t go all the way down and I have to do it manually everytime I use the device in a dark environment. I hope this will be fixed in future software updates.

The OnePlus 9 has some impressive colour accuracy. I’m using a colour accurate monitor myself for photo editing and when I export photos to the OnePlus 9, there is not much difference comparing the shot on the monitor and on the phone, which makes this the perfect phone and display for photo editing on-the-go. Besides accurate colours, the phone is capable of outputting vibrant colours, which are not overdone and the blacks are really good, which improves the viewing experience for movies or videos. HDR content looks bright and vibrant and for a Full HD+ display the sharpness is really impressive. OnePlus went with a hole punch camera on the top left of the display. The camera is arguably small, you won’t even notice it after some time using the device. A small detail is the green animation/dot besides the camera itself, so the users knows when the camera is being used.

DSC01901-bewerkt.jpg
    The small hole punch
    One thing I don’t like about the phone is the placement of the fingerprint scanner. The fingerprint scanner is positioned too low on the device which makes it hard too reach with one hand. This is probably a personal thing, because I’ve small hands. This is not a dealbreaker, because the fingerprint scanner is still usable with one hand, but everytime I want to use the fingerprint scanner I need to adjust the phone in my hand to reach it. Definitely something for OnePlus to keep in mind for the next generation.

It blows my mind I only have to touch really quickly on the fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone and I don't even need to hold my finger on the scanner itself, just a quick touch. I also use face unlock, which is blazing fast. You know it's fast when you can't even read your notifications on the lockscreen. Luckily you can switch between options to instantly unlock your device or swipe to unlock after scanning your face.

The haptics are also updated on this device. OnePlus tied some functions in OxygenOS11 to the haptics. For example: when you make adjustments in the volume for media you'll feel the gentle haptics when you drag the slider up or down, which makes the experience with the device even better. In my opinion some haptics are too soft which makes it almost fade away. On previous OnePlus models the haptics were stronger. Nonetheless, I like the fact that OnePlus added the haptics to multiple functions in OxygenOS11 and they still feel premium. For the people who're interested: I can feel the phone vibrating when I carry it around in my pocket and I haven't missed a call or notification.

superplus, meatandy, hennes and 3 others like this.
  4. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 30, 2021

Stickied Post
    TheBlitz7 , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Camera - photos
    The OnePlus 9 houses the following cameras:

Main Camera
    • Sensor: Sony IMX689
    • Sensor Size: 1/1.43"
    • Megapixels: 48
    • Pixel Size: 1.12µm
    • Lens Quantity: 7P
    • EIS: Yes
    • Focal Length: 23mm equivalent
    • Aperture: ƒ/1.8
    Ultra-Wide Camera
    • Sensor: Sony IMX766
    • Sensor Size: 1/1.56"
    • Megapixels: 50
    • Lens Quantity: 7P
    • Focal Length: 14mm equivalent
    • Aperture: ƒ/2.2
    • Lens: Freeform Lens
    Monochrome Camera
    • Megapixels: 2
    Video
    • 8K video at 30 fps
    • 4K-video at 30/60 fps
    • 1080p-video at 30/60 fps
    • Super Slow Motion: 1080p video at 240 fps, 720p video at 480
    • Time-Lapse: 1080p at 30 fps, 4k at 30 fps

Front Camera
    • Sensor: Sony IMX471
    • Megapixels: 16
    • Pixel Size: 1,0 µm
    • EIS: Yes
    • Autoenfoque: Enfoque fijo
    • Aperture: ƒ/2.4

Video Front Camera
    • 1080p video at 30fps
    This generation OnePlus collaborated with Hasselblad. As you guys know, Hasselblad is a leading manufacturer when it comes to photography. They have great colour accuracy and this is something you’ll see with the OnePlus 9. This is like the cherry on the cake, because OnePlus only needed to improve the camera to deliver the complete experience.

DSC01847-bewerkt.jpg
    The camera island on the OnePlus 9

If we look at the spec sheet, we can agree that OnePlus didn't leave the OnePlus 9 in the dust. I mean a 50MP Ultra-Wide camera on such a large sensor is pretty impressive! One notable thing: none of the cameras have Optical Image Stabilization, which is kind of a bummer. However, the front camera and the main camera both have Electronic Image Stabilization, which works quite good.

The main camera captures stunning and sharp pictures. It’s possible to capture RAW photos with the main camera for post processing in, for example, Photoshop. The Ultra-Wide is something else this generation, probably the best Ultra-Wide camera available in a smartphone right now. It’s wide and sharp, captures so much more and the distortion is minimal. OnePlus used a freeform lens on the Ultra-Wide camera, which compared to normal Ultra-Wide lenses only have around 1% distorting, what normaly would be 10-20% distortion. This, in combination with a large sensor, the Sony IMX766, makes this one of the best, if not the best Ultra-Wide camera on a smartphone. Besides the main camera and the Ultra-Wide camera you'll find a monochrome lens on the back of the phone. I honestly don’t understand why OnePlus made the decision to keep this camera on the phone instead of a telephoto lens. However, the monochrome lens also captures great shots, ready to be posted on social media. There is a 2x zoom button in the camera app, but this uses software and not a dedicated camera. The pictures are usable, but I personally wouldn’t zoom further because the image gets soft. The front camera produces sharp and natural images, which I didn't expect from a front camera.

All the cameras produce accurate colours and are very sharp out of the camera app, sometimes too sharp for my liking, but it also gives an image that extra punch. Colours aren't oversaturated, which I like. The focus on all the cameras is very fast.

OnePlus also added a Super Macro mode this generation, which makes it possible to capture objects from up close. The results are pretty impressive and I actually had a blast trying to capture different objects with this mode. The portrait mode works really well and the edge detection on persons (and objects!) is very good.

IMG_20210330_155127.jpg IMG_20210329_110458_Bokeh.jpg
    Super Macro Mode & Portrait Mode

The camera app itself is intuitive, you can easily find the things you need and switching between modes is seemless. I love the little orange details in the camera app. Those details are used on Hasselblad cameras, so this gives the user the feeling they’re controlling a camera of Hasselblad. I noticed some hiccups when shooting in the high resolution mode. When I shot a picture I had to wait a few seconds before the phone was ready for another shot. I expected faster processing from the Snapdragon 888, but maybe this is a restriction from the camera or something OnePlus can fix in upcoming updates. The Pro Mode in the camera app gives an user the freedom to change every setting and capture the perfect shot. The switch between lenses is seemless and the inconsistency with the white balance seems to be fixed this generation.

Pro Mode demonstration
    As you can see in the video, the Pro Mode lets you take full control of the cameras, from ISO to the focussing. The focus peaking is accurate and shows the areas that are in focus for taking sharp pictures. Pro Mode is quite useful when shooting pictures in the dark or doing photoshoots. You can, for example, attach the phone to a tripod and start experimenting with shutter speeds and lighting. I have to say the Auto mode, which makes it possible to easily shoot pictures, is very accurate and comes close to the Pro Mode shots. So, for the normal user the Auto mode is more than enough if you want to take high quality photos, without tinkering too much with settings.

So, enough talking! The following shots are straight out of the camera app, without any editing.

IMG_20210323_142032.jpg
    Natural colours without oversaturating. The Ultra-Wide camera captures great detail with natural colours. The picture is bright and the contrast is good
    IMG_20210328_144816.jpg
    The freeform lens does its job really well! The building isn't warped, unlike some Ultra-Wide cameras

IMG_20210328_145447.jpg
    The main camera takes great photos. As you can see the clouds in the sky are visible, while all the buildings are well lit

IMG_20210328_145630.jpg
    I'm addicted to the Ultra-Wide camera :eek:
    IMG_20210328_154713.jpg
    Less light? No problem for the Ultra-Wide camera. You can capture so much more with this camera and it gives a nice effect to your photos
    IMG_20210328_150054.jpg
    The main camera takes very sharp pictures and as you can see, everything looks natural

Testing the Ultra-Wide camera, the main camera and the 2x zoom option from the same point of view:
    IMG_20210328_154327.jpg

IMG_20210328_154338.jpg

IMG_20210328_154348.jpg

IMG_20210328_150817.jpg
    This picture shows the shutter lag/ghosting when capturing moving objects. Hopefully this can be fixed with a software update

IMG_20210328_145439.jpg IMG_20210328_150759.jpg IMG_20210328_145745.jpg IMG_20210328_154220.jpg IMG_20210328_145030.jpg IMG_20210328_151205.jpg IMG_20210328_151508.jpg IMG_20210328_150101.jpg IMG_20210328_150145.jpg IMG_20210328_154707.jpg IMG_20210328_144145.jpg IMG_20210323_142113.jpg IMG_20210328_154307.jpg IMG_20210328_152833.jpg IMG_20210328_151554.jpg
    Some other shots with the OnePlus 9

superplus, meatandy, hennes and 2 others like this.
  5. TheBlitz7

Stickied Post
    Camera - Videos
    The OnePlus 9 is capable of shooting up to 8K 30FPS. This is quite a high resolution for a smartphone! The phone produces sharp videos and the colours are natural and not oversaturated.

Video sample of the 8K 30FPS capabilities of the OnePlus 9
    This phone lacks Optical Image Stabilization (OIS), but OnePlus added Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) to the main camera and the front camera. There is a Super Stable mode available, which shoots up to 4K 30FPS with the main camera. I love this mode and it looks like you're using a gimbal when walking with the phone, it's that smooth.

I also tried the HDR mode, which shoots in 4K 30FPS. The first thing that I noticed was the excessive focussing from the camera when I watched the video on my computer. This is quite distracting when watching a video and this is also something I didn't see in any other mode when filming.

Both the Ultra-Wide camera and the main camera shoot sharp and natural videos in 4K 60FPS. The main camera has some shakiness to it when walking, but this is almost competely gone when using the Ultra-Wide camera in 4K 60FPS. When I pressed the recording button it said: "fluent-UHD" on both the Ultra-Wide and main camera. When shooting 8K 30FPS there is more shakiness visible, so that leaves me the question if OnePlus added some sort of extra software stabilization, besides EIS, to the 4K 60FPS modes on both the Ultra-Wide camera and the main camera.

Video sample of the 4K 30/60FPS capabilities of the OnePlus 9

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 8:53 AM

6. TheBlitz7

Stickied Post
    OxygenOS, RAM & CPU
    DSC01900-bewerkt.jpg

The Always-On Display in OxygenOS11
    In the past years I've used different phones from different manufacturers, each with different Android "skins". The one I still like the most is: OxygenOS.

OxygenOS doesn't include bloatware and feels very smooth and slick. It does exactly what you expect from a smartphone: you can perform simple tasks or play heavy games. OnePlus has made some big improvements over the years to further develop one of the cleanest Android experiences.

The OnePlus 9 is no exception, because it’s running the latest and greatest OxygenOS11 out-of-the-box. This is the latest Android version with some “minor” optimisations from OnePlus to keep it as close to stock as possible, while giving the user enough customization options.

I love the Always-On Display (AOD), which displays the date and time and important notification icons. This is very useful, because you don’t even have to touch or unlock your device to see important information. There are multiple options for the AOD-styles and I hope OnePlus keeps adding more options in the future.

DSC01908-bewerkt.jpg
    Let your imagination run free with the customization options in OxygenOS11
    One thing I noticed is that OnePlus fixed the notification delay I had with previous OnePlus devices. I instantly receive notifications and calls. Another example is WhatsApp Web, which is instantly available when I open the website. With older devices I had to unlock my device to connect to WhatsApp Web because the phone wasn’t connected to the internet.

The lockscreen and homescreen are both very minimal and clean. I still like the red “1” in the clock widget. I can easily find my apps in the app drawer and there is no unnecessary clutter, unlike other manufacturers.

DSC01885-bewerkt 3-2.jpg
    Lockscreen, Homescreen & App drawer
    OxygenOS11 groups notifications in different categories, which makes it easy to find important messages for example. The quick settings tiles are also customizable and I also like the music controller in the quick settings tiles.

DSC01904-bewerkt.jpg
    Quick Settings Tiles
    OnePlus focused on operating the phone with one hand in OxygenOS11 and I think they did a great job developing the new OS with one-handed mode in mind. I can easily reach everything with one hand.

DSC01905-bewerkt 2-2.jpg
    Settings in OxygenOS11

The new video sharpening feature is pretty impressive. This feature sharpens Snapchat and Instagram videos, which makes it more pleasant to watch low quality videos on either platform. To be honest, I thought this wouldn’t make much of a difference, but it’s actualy quite useful.

OnePlus used the Snapdragon 888 for the OnePlus 9, which is really fast. I didn't notice any stutters during daily usage. The RAM management is also improved. This phone has 12GB of RAM, which is quite a high number. 12GB of RAM In combination with the all new Turbo Boost 3.0 memory optimization from OnePlus allows an user to have 25% more apps open in the background. OnePlus achieved this with two technologies: RAM compression, which makes data on the RAM smaller, and Virtual RAM, which turns phone storage into RAM so your phone can have more physical RAM to work with .I noticed that apps I opened in the morning where still in the same state when I opened those apps later on in the day.

7. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 31, 2021

Stickied Post
    TheBlitz7 , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Battery & Charging
    Unfortunately, we still can't go out that much because of Covid-19. I mostly use my phone at home for social media, browsing on the internet, watching videos and talking with friends and family. Sometimes I also use Google Maps when I've an appointment. During these activities I use WiFi and sometimes data when I've a poor WiFi connection.

I'm currently on 5 hours of SoT with 30% battery left. I can easily use the phone a full day and charge at the end of the day. I expected higher screen-on time for a 4500 mAh battery. I must say that OnePlus drastically improved the SoT with software updates on previous devices. Of course, you can turn the refresh rate down to 60Hz, but that takes all the fun away from such a beautiful screen. OnePlus already released some software updates for this phone and I hope the battery performance will be improved with future updates. However, OnePlus included a Warp Charger 65 in the box, which charges the OnePlus 9 from 0% to 100% in 29 minutes!

DSC01919-bewerkt.jpg
    Warp Charging with 65 Watts!
    During the charging the temperature did not exceed 39 degrees. The charger was getting warmer than the device itself. OnePlus designed the charging process in a way the charger dissipates the heat instead of the device, which will improve the longetivity of the battery. I noticed the milliampere going down when it reached 39 degrees. This protects the battery from overheating. The phone has two seperate batteries, which makes it possible to charge both cells at the same time and achieve such high wattage. Warp Charge is really useful when you forget to charge your phone and you need to go out. Last Saturday I had an appointment but forgot to charge my phone the day before. While I was getting ready, the device already charged 70%!

The OnePlus 9 also features wireless charging, which shows OnePlus didn't solely focus on including all the features in the OnePlus 9 Pro. The device is capable of 15W Qi wireless charging. Unfortunately, I only have an old 10W wireless charging pad, so I couldn't test out the full wireless charging capabilities. Of course, 10W isn't that fast, but you can leave your phone overnight and it'll be charged the next day. The temperature didn't exceed 37 degrees, which also is nice and good for the battery. On top of that, you can reverse wireless charge other devices, like earphones or even smartphones. It works quite well, but sometimes a slight movement of a phone on top of the OnePlus 9 already made the device stop charging.

DSC01911-bewerkt.jpg
    The OnePlus 9 also supports wireless charging!

The device itself didn't heat up that much during normal usage. I went out to take some pictures and left the camera and screen on for an hour and it didn't even feel hot in my hands. Yes, the device got slightly warmer but that's is normal when using it for an hour straight without the screen turning off. The updated five-layer gaming-grade OnePlus Cool Play cooling system is doing its job really well in keeping the device cool.

8. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 31, 2021

Stickied Post
    TheBlitz7 , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Conclusion
    In my opinion OnePlus did a wonderful job with the OnePlus 9. It has all the features you could ask for and the natural colours from Hasselblad are also available on this phone, all this for a reasonable price. It’s a good, fast and of course beautiful device!

Although the Winter Mist variant is a fingerprint magnet, it surprised me and it looks and feels premium in the hand. The 120Hz flat display in combination with the Snapdragon 888 and a whopping 12GB of RAM, makes this the perfect device for simple tasks or heavy multi-tasking. The display produces accurate colours and I enjoy watching videos or scrolling through Instagram on this screen.

The cameras are improved in comparison to earlier OnePlus devices and I like the natural colour it produces. The images are sharp and not oversaturated. OnePlus did an outstanding job with the Ultra-Wide camera. This camera makes me want to leave my DSLR at home and only shoot with the phone, it’s that fun! The Pro Mode gives the user the freedom to experiment with different settings and even shoot in 12-bit RAW! One thing I noticed was the shutter lag when capturing moving objects, I hope OnePlus will fix this problem with software updates.

I honestly expected more from the 4500 mAh battery. 5 hours of SoT with 30% left is reasonable, but it can be better with such a large battery. It can last through the day and if you're running low on battery you can use the included Warp Charger 65, which will top your device in less than 29 minutes! OnePlus improved the SoT on previous devices with different software updates, so I'm looking forward to even better battery performance.

The improved haptics are a nice touch to give the user a feeling they press real buttons. Some haptics are pretty soft and almost fade away the experience. Hopefully OnePlus can update the haptics to make them stronger. Apart from that, it still feels premium and slick in combination with OxygenOS11.

All in all, the OnePlus 9 is the perfect device for daily usage. It can do everything you want: delivering an immersive experience with Dolby Atmos and the Fluid AMOLED display when watching movies or taking stunning high quality pictures, ready to be shared on social media. The phone offers good value for money and, yes OnePlus had to cut some corners to fit those specs in such a beautiful device without the price creeping up that much, but I think they made the right decisions. I can definitely recommend the OnePlus 9 to you! What do you think about the device, will you buy it?

superplus, meatandy, hennes and 2 others like this.
  9. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Mar 25, 2021

Overzee , Mar 25, 2021 :
    Again congratulations on being one of the chosen ones for this series of The Lab @TheBlitz7 ! I am 'watching' the thread, so I'll be notified whenever you're review is expanding!

10. Y1593707785960
    Cupcake Mar 25, 2021

11. McJader
    Lollipop Mar 25, 2021

McJader , Mar 25, 2021 :
    It is an interesting beginning, curious to read the actual review:):)
    Are you sure?;):rolleyes::p

12. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 25, 2021

TheBlitz7 , Mar 25, 2021 :
    Thank you! If you want to see something in particular, let me know!

13. Massmohan2400
    Cupcake Mar 25, 2021

D1601291799420 likes this.

TheBlitz7 likes this.
  15. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Mar 25, 2021

YRJ , Mar 25, 2021 :
    Great start, @TheBlitz7 ,
    Loving the shots so far! A well rounded first impressions and unboxing. Will keep an eye on this thread for more.

About some questions I have regarding the 9,
    1. How does the alert slider feel? On comparing it to any previous OnePlus device is it firm or relatively loose?
    2. With OnePlus opting for plastic as one of the materials on the OnePlus 9, how do you think it impacts the overall feel of the phone? Does it feel any less premium?

Keep up the good work ;)

16. Kvl_21
    Honeycomb Mar 25, 2021

K@reem34 likes this.
  17. TheBlitz7

Ok, you got me there ;)

Thank you!

Thank you, hope you'll like the review!

McJader, Dresa91 and Kvl_21 like this.
  18. SRD.
    Lollipop Mar 25, 2021

northbay5566 and KaranRIyer like this.
  19. TheBlitz7

Thank you! Good questions, I'll definitely add this to the review.
    To answer your questions:
    1. The alert slider feels really firm and stiff. It gives a satisfying click when switching between modes. Comparing it to the 8T, I would say it's really firm.
    2. When I first unboxed the phone, I thought the phone was made of glass and metal on the sides. It doesn't even feel like plastic and has the same "cold" feel from metal in comparison to other OnePlus models. It even looks like metal with the glossy frame. So I would say it doesn't impact the feel of the phone and honestly it still feels like a premium device.

20. TheBlitz7

I'll test the camera outdoors and add this to the review. Do you want to see anything specific regarding the performance of the SD888?

KaranRIyer, McJader and SRD. like this.
  21. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Mar 25, 2021

YRJ , Mar 25, 2021 :
    Good to know. Thanks :)

22. Navdeep_Malik
    Jelly Bean Mar 25, 2021

TheBlitz7 likes this.

24. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Mar 25, 2021

Bobbie63 , Mar 25, 2021 :
    No stickers??? So the OP9 is a no go for me then, no stickers.......no phone.

just kidding, I think OnePlus should cut out the unnecessary stuff in their boxes tbh. @TheBlitz7, nice review so far.:)

25. SRD.
    Lollipop Mar 25, 2021

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 25, 2021 :
    Thanks. I want to see how good it handles multi asking, how hot the device gets when video playback, gaming & a few more apps are running.

KaranRIyer, TheBlitz7 and McJader like this.

Dinesh4360 and TheBlitz7 like this.