The Lab - OnePlus 9 Review

1. TheStonk
    Gingerbread Apr 3, 2021

2. goyalakshat14
    Cupcake Apr 3, 2021

goyalakshat14 , Apr 3, 2021 :
    Hey @TheBlitz7 Great review and very detailed. One small question, given the choice between oneplus 9 vs oneplus 8t which would you recommend if the price difference is of $150 and preference is battery, performance, camera in that order.

TheBlitz7 likes this.
  3. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 3, 2021

TheBlitz7 , Apr 3, 2021 :
    Hello @goyalakshat14 , thank you!

For me the battery on the 8T is better compared to the 9 right now. I think OnePlus will improve battery life as with all their new models.

Performance feels about the same as the 8T, didn't notice anything drastically faster or slower on the 9. The 9 has the latest Snapdragon 888, so this is also future-proof.

However, the camera on the 9 is much better than the 8T. Sharp pictures and videos in combination with natural colours from Hasselblad and the ultra-wide is so much better than the 8T. If you have any questions, let me know!

4. meatandy
    Oreo Apr 3, 2021

meatandy , Apr 3, 2021 :
    What device did you use previous to this 9 and would you feel it was a justified upgrade from that?

TheBlitz7 likes this.
  5. goyalakshat14
    Cupcake Apr 4, 2021

goyalakshat14 , Apr 4, 2021 :
    Currently how much better is oneplus 8t's battery life? Also many people on reddit are complaining that there is heating issue at 4k 60, did you face anything like that?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021

TheBlitz7 likes this.
  6. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 4, 2021

TheBlitz7 , Apr 4, 2021 :
    Before the 9 I used an OnePlus 8T.

Of course, the 9 has the latest and greatest tech on-board. The camera of the 9 is much better than the 8T, the colours are great, sharpness is good and the ultra-wide is amazing. The low-light performance also is amazing for such a small device.

The phone feels smooth and the 9 also feels somewhat faster with little things like face unlock and the fingerprint scanner. The battery life dissapoints me a bit as with the 8T I got 8-9 hours of SoT and with the 9 only 6 hours tops. I think OnePlus can improve this with updates.

The display on the 9 looks great. It's very smooth and has accurate colours, which are not too vibrant and in combination with the stereo speakers it delivers an amazing viewing experience.

As a person who likes to take photos on-the-go without carrying a DSLR, I think this is a great phone. For me it's a justified upgrade to have a complete package in your pocket: great camera, great screen, great speakers, blazing fast charging and fast performance with the Snapdragon 888.

meatandy likes this.
  7. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 4, 2021

TheBlitz7 , Apr 4, 2021 :
    I get between 8-9 hours of SoT on the 8T, on the 9 currently 6 hours tops. I think OnePlus will improve this with future updates.

I didn't had heating problems during recording. I had the screen and camera app open for an hour and filmed a bit in 4K 60FPS but no heating issue. The cold weather could play a part in this, though.

meatandy likes this.
  8. Anish@sarpanch
    Cupcake Apr 8, 2021 at 6:52 AM

9. angch
    Cupcake Apr 8, 2021 at 12:35 PM

angch , Apr 8, 2021 at 12:35 PM :
    @TheBlitz7 thank you for this great and comprehensive review! Not many people are reviewing the vanilla OP9 so extensively, ignoring a part of target consumers. Not everyone needs a pro version :blush: I would love to see more in depth reviews on the OP9 by others.

One point that is making me a bit worried, is the lack of OIS in combination with low light photos. To be frank, I don't plan to participate in any photography contest so I am not looking for top of the line, but at this price point I would expect an OIS, and I do enjoy good low-light photos. That being said, I am not sure how much really the OIS contributes, and how much SW post-processing of the image does.

In your experience, how does this phone (rear cameras) compare in low-light photos without OIS, to phones that have an OIS (e.g. the 8T)?

TheBlitz7 likes this.
  10. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 8, 2021 at 1:25 PM

TheBlitz7 , Apr 8, 2021 at 1:25 PM :
    Thank you and good question! I'll post some low-light indoor shots later in this thread!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 1:31 PM

angch likes this.
  11. angch
    Cupcake Apr 8, 2021 at 2:29 PM

angch , Apr 8, 2021 at 2:29 PM :
    Thank you for your response! Also outdoors, what is your experience with low light photography with the OP9? Do you also have the OP9 pro? How big is the difference between them in this use case?

TheBlitz7 likes this.
  12. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 8, 2021 at 10:02 PM

TheBlitz7 , Apr 8, 2021 at 10:02 PM :
    Unfortunately, I don't have the OP9 Pro, but I can compare it to another phone to see the details when zooming in.

angch likes this.