The Lab - OnePlus 9 Review

1. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 30, 2021

Stickied Post
    TheBlitz7 , Mar 30, 2021 :
    OxygenOS, RAM & CPU
    DSC01900-bewerkt.jpg

The Always-On Display in OxygenOS11
    In the past years I've used different phones from different manufacturers, each with different Android "skins". The one I still like the most is: OxygenOS.

OxygenOS doesn't include bloatware and feels very smooth and slick. It does exactly what you expect from a smartphone: you can perform simple tasks or play heavy games. OnePlus has made some big improvements over the years to further develop one of the cleanest Android experiences.

The OnePlus 9 is no exception, because it’s running the latest and greatest OxygenOS11 out-of-the-box. This is the latest Android version with some “minor” optimisations from OnePlus to keep it as close to stock as possible, while giving the user enough customization options.

I love the Always-On Display (AOD), which displays the date and time and important notification icons. This is very useful, because you don’t even have to touch or unlock your device to see important information. There are multiple options for the AOD-styles and I hope OnePlus keeps adding more options in the future.

DSC01908-bewerkt.jpg
    Let your imagination run free with the customization options in OxygenOS11
    One thing I noticed is that OnePlus fixed the notification delay I had with previous OnePlus devices. I instantly receive notifications and calls. Another example is WhatsApp Web, which is instantly available when I open the website. With older devices I had to unlock my device to connect to WhatsApp Web because the phone wasn’t connected to the internet.

The lockscreen and homescreen are both very minimal and clean. I still like the red “1” in the clock widget. I can easily find my apps in the app drawer and there is no unnecessary clutter, unlike other manufacturers.

DSC01885-bewerkt 3-2.jpg
    Lockscreen, Homescreen & App drawer
    OxygenOS11 groups notifications in different categories, which makes it easy to find important messages for example. The quick settings tiles are also customizable and I also like the music controller in the quick settings tiles.

DSC01904-bewerkt.jpg
    Quick Settings Tiles
    OnePlus focused on operating the phone with one hand in OxygenOS11 and I think they did a great job developing the new OS with one-handed mode in mind. I can easily reach everything with one hand.

DSC01905-bewerkt 2-2.jpg
    Settings in OxygenOS11

The new video sharpening feature is pretty impressive. This feature sharpens Snapchat and Instagram videos, which makes it more pleasant to watch low quality videos on either platform. To be honest, I thought this wouldn’t make much of a difference, but it’s actualy quite useful.

OnePlus used the Snapdragon 888 for the OnePlus 9, which is really fast. I didn't notice any stutters during daily usage. The RAM management is also improved. This phone has 12GB of RAM, which is quite a high number. 12GB of RAM In combination with the all new Turbo Boost 3.0 memory optimization from OnePlus allows an user to have 25% more apps open in the background. OnePlus achieved this with two technologies: RAM compression, which makes data on the RAM smaller, and Virtual RAM, which turns phone storage into RAM so your phone can have more physical RAM to work with .I noticed that apps I opened in the morning where still in the same state when I opened those apps later on in the day.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021

2. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 30, 2021

TheBlitz7 , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Hello @hennes, I reviewed the device as if it was a device I bought. I always keep up with new tech and gadgets and for this review I kept daily usage in mind and how I normally use my phone to see how it'll hold up. What exactly did you want to see in the review, I'd love some tips to improve my work in the future and maybe change the last things in this review.

hennes likes this.
  3. northbay5566
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 30, 2021

4. hennes
    YaImCo Developer Mar 31, 2021

hennes , Mar 31, 2021 :
    It's a very good test the way you did it, I was just hoping in the introduction that forenic things or more depper Details about the phone might come into it. I always find it a pity when reviews are always somehow the same, unboxing, display, operating system etc. is always somehow the same. I tried to apply for the Lap the first time this year because I thought I could do something different than the usual stuff.
    Don't get me wrong, it's good and ok, but somehow it's always the same when you read through 4 or more reviews. Anyway, when I read that you study forensics and I work in this field from time to time, ok, I am a cryptographer, create data centers and audit infrastructures of companies but often i do forensic stuff too. But I also write most of the apps and programms that I need for my daily work myself, and my approach would have been to take a closer look at this, i.e. what options does OnePlus offer me, can I use the Camera2 API fully, for example, and do they lock me out with the telephoto lens. I would also describe what possibilities there are to install a firewall on a device and how much effort it means on a OnePlus device. Say is rooting paired with e.g. AFWall+l better than not rooting and using e.g. Netguard. On I would describe how hard it is to remove netflix and if it is completely removable. But since I was not taken, which is not really bad, I have also not made a list of the points i would like to do, probably many things would not have gone at all because you are not allowed to, but even that I would have then at least written.
    As I said, a lot of things are aimed at the usual characteristics, but they don't go into depth.
    Ok, most of the reviews are not finished yet, but I'm afraid that the strengths of the camera are not very much in focus, e.g. the Pro Mode. This piece of software should find much more appeal, because it is simply irreplaceable and isn't offered by hardly any camera software, unfortunately it is also treated very stepmotherly, I would certainly put a focus on it.
    Furthermore, I would discuss the question of why the fingerprint has moved to the bottom and the camera's shutter release button has been moved to the top, and I would also try to find out what possibilities the arrangement of the lenses at the edge of the device has compared to those in the center, and whether the positioning of the lasers is correct or perhaps they would be better off in a different position.The 9 Pro for example has the camera lenses in the middel, so what is the difference between them.
    Of course I would take a closer look at the device, I would also measure how hot the device is when charging with cable and wireless. I would also want to measure how high load really affects the heat generation in the device and how much the new design of the heat sinks on both sides of the CPU affect and possibly show apps with higher heat generation compared to those that generate less heat but are in the same genre. E.g. because Unity developer based games are better tuned than Unreal Engine or the hardware is better handled than others. i would also consider what

As I said, I haven't made a list, this above are just quick thought, but that's what would come to my mind. It's a completely different setup and a completely different approach. I don't need to do the 100 thousandth unboxing, others do it better.

Keep up that good work, it's great and i like it.

Greetings to the neighboring country of The Hague (Den Haag) in the Netherlands.

5. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 31, 2021

TheBlitz7 , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Around 5 hours with 30% remaining.

northbay5566 likes this.
  6. TheBlitz7

I kept the general user in mind, so I looked at the most important things to an user, which are: display, camera, software, speakers, etc. I added some more information for Pro Mode to the review.

As regards the fingerprint scanner and the camera shutter button, I don't get the point exactly. As I've said the fingerptint scanner is, in my opinion, positioned too low. The camera shutter button is still in the same place as previous OnePlus devices. The 9 Pro also has the lenses on the side as the 9.

Thanks for the tips!

7. TheBlitz7

Stickied Post
    Battery & Charging
    Unfortunately, we still can't go out that much because of Covid-19. I mostly use my phone at home for social media, browsing on the internet, watching videos and talking with friends and family. Sometimes I also use Google Maps when I've an appointment. During these activities I use WiFi and sometimes data when I've a poor WiFi connection.

I'm currently on 5 hours of SoT with 30% battery left. I can easily use the phone a full day and charge at the end of the day. I expected higher screen-on time for a 4500 mAh battery. I must say that OnePlus drastically improved the SoT with software updates on previous devices. Of course, you can turn the refresh rate down to 60Hz, but that takes all the fun away from such a beautiful screen. OnePlus already released some software updates for this phone and I hope the battery performance will be improved with future updates. However, OnePlus included a Warp Charger 65 in the box, which charges the OnePlus 9 from 0% to 100% in 29 minutes!

DSC01919-bewerkt.jpg
    Warp Charging with 65 Watts!
    During the charging the temperature did not exceed 39 degrees. The charger was getting warmer than the device itself. OnePlus designed the charging process in a way the charger dissipates the heat instead of the device, which will improve the longetivity of the battery. I noticed the milliampere going down when it reached 39 degrees. This protects the battery from overheating. The phone has two seperate batteries, which makes it possible to charge both cells at the same time and achieve such high wattage. Warp Charge is really useful when you forget to charge your phone and you need to go out. Last Saturday I had an appointment but forgot to charge my phone the day before. While I was getting ready, the device already charged 70%!

The OnePlus 9 also features wireless charging, which shows OnePlus didn't solely focus on including all the features in the OnePlus 9 Pro. The device is capable of 15W Qi wireless charging. Unfortunately, I only have an old 10W wireless charging pad, so I couldn't test out the full wireless charging capabilities. Of course, 10W isn't that fast, but you can leave your phone overnight and it'll be charged the next day. The temperature didn't exceed 37 degrees, which also is nice and good for the battery. On top of that, you can reverse wireless charge other devices, like earphones or even smartphones. It works quite well, but sometimes a slight movement of a phone on top of the OnePlus 9 already made the device stop charging.

DSC01911-bewerkt.jpg
    The OnePlus 9 also supports wireless charging!

The device itself didn't heat up that much during normal usage. I went out to take some pictures and left the camera and screen on for an hour and it didn't even feel hot in my hands. Yes, the device got slightly warmer but that's is normal when using it for an hour straight without the screen turning off. The updated five-layer gaming-grade OnePlus Cool Play cooling system is doing its job really well in keeping the device cool.

8. F1608996988596
    Cupcake Mar 31, 2021

9. TheBlitz7

Stickied Post
    Conclusion
    In my opinion OnePlus did a wonderful job with the OnePlus 9. It has all the features you could ask for and the natural colours from Hasselblad are also available on this phone, all this for a reasonable price. It’s a good, fast and of course beautiful device!

Although the Winter Mist variant is a fingerprint magnet, it surprised me and it looks and feels premium in the hand. The 120Hz flat display in combination with the Snapdragon 888 and a whopping 12GB of RAM, makes this the perfect device for simple tasks or heavy multi-tasking. The display produces accurate colours and I enjoy watching videos or scrolling through Instagram on this screen.

The cameras are improved in comparison to earlier OnePlus devices and I like the natural colour it produces. The images are sharp and not oversaturated. OnePlus did an outstanding job with the Ultra-Wide camera. This camera makes me want to leave my DSLR at home and only shoot with the phone, it’s that fun! The Pro Mode gives the user the freedom to experiment with different settings and even shoot in 12-bit RAW! One thing I noticed was the shutter lag when capturing moving objects, I hope OnePlus will fix this problem with software updates.

I honestly expected more from the 4500 mAh battery. 5 hours of SoT with 30% left is reasonable, but it can be better with such a large battery. It can last through the day and if you're running low on battery you can use the included Warp Charger 65, which will top your device in less than 29 minutes! OnePlus improved the SoT on previous devices with different software updates, so I'm looking forward to even better battery performance.

The improved haptics are a nice touch to give the user a feeling they press real buttons. Some haptics are pretty soft and almost fade away the experience. Hopefully OnePlus can update the haptics to make them stronger. Apart from that, it still feels premium and slick in combination with OxygenOS11.

All in all, the OnePlus 9 is the perfect device for daily usage. It can do everything you want: delivering an immersive experience with Dolby Atmos and the Fluid AMOLED display when watching movies or taking stunning high quality pictures, ready to be shared on social media. The phone offers good value for money and, yes OnePlus had to cut some corners to fit those specs in such a beautiful device without the price creeping up that much, but I think they made the right decisions. I can definitely recommend the OnePlus 9 to you! What do you think about the device, will you buy it?

superplus, meatandy, hennes and 2 others like this.
  10. northbay5566
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 1, 2021

TheBlitz7 likes this.
  11. H1601129020121
    Cupcake Apr 1, 2021

12. TheBlitz7
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 1, 2021

TheBlitz7 , Apr 1, 2021 :
    What do you mean exactly?

13. H1601129020121
    Cupcake Apr 1, 2021

14. H1601129020121
    Cupcake Apr 1, 2021

15. TheBlitz7

One meter cable for 15,96 euros

16. TheStonk
    Gingerbread Apr 1, 2021

17. TheBlitz7

This review is of the OnePlus 9. Compared to the 8T I think this one is a little softer but you can still feel the little details when sliding the volume slider up or down for example. They still feel good and not cheap at all.

18. TheStonk
    Gingerbread Apr 1, 2021

TheStonk , via OnePlus 7 , Apr 1, 2021 :
    I only need a roughly comparison, is it the same as in the Oneplus 8t?

19. TheBlitz7

Yes, but some haptics are softer on the 9. I feel like they should make this stronger in future updates on the 9.

20. TheStonk
    Gingerbread Apr 1, 2021

TheStonk , via OnePlus 7 , Apr 1, 2021 :
    Hm okay for me the vibration motor is now a big point in the purchase decision because I can say from experience that a vibration motor that is too light is just sucks # oneplus7 I think I'll wait or get the Oneplus 9 Pro or the Oneplus 9t when it comes

TheBlitz7 likes this.