[THE LAB] OnePlus Nord 2 Review

2. AjayMalhotra
    Cupcake Aug 23, 2021

AjayMalhotra , via OnePlus Nord 2 , Aug 23, 2021 :
    Agree with the puneet, everything is good in this mobile apart from merged OS. I believe in future Oneplus loose there market if OS issues will not resolved quickly.

er.puneet507 likes this.
  3. er.puneet507 , via OnePlus Community App , Aug 24, 2021 :
    I heard that for such lower segment they are using color os only ui is of oxygen and for main series like 8 9 they will use pure oxygen os. If this is true then its a Big setback

4. C1628775205071
    Cupcake Aug 26, 2021

C1628775205071 , via OnePlus Nord 2 , Aug 26, 2021 :
    Pattern lock achuka hai Nord 2 me

5. Yash_Shrimali
    Cupcake Aug 26, 2021

6. [email protected]
    Cupcake Aug 29, 2021

7. Aditya_4
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Sep 13, 2021

Stickied Post
    Aditya_4 , Sep 13, 2021 :
    Battery And Charging:

nord 22.jpeg

The Device Features a dual cell 4500 mah battery and comes with a 65 Warp Watt charger. It charges the device full in about 35 minutes - this charging speed has spoiled me! I use the phone till it reaches about 2-3% and then I plug it in for a charge and in 15 minutes it's back up to 65%.

nord 23.jpeg

After Reaching 70% the charging speed reduces, this helps in preserving battery health in the long term.

nord 25.png
    (Full charged in just 30 minutes)

The battery life has also been amazing in my usage. I averaged around 7 hours of Screen On time on days with light usage and 6 hours of Screen On time with heavy usage (Playing Games, Using Camera for photos and videos). The Idle drain during the night with Wi-Fi On is only about 2%.

nord 26.png

There are some settings tucked inside the battery settings page like a high performance mode and a power saving tool that shows what apps or sensors are draining the battery. In my usage, Spotify was draining the battery in the background most of the time. Probably because I download my daily mixes.
    battery settings.png
    This is easily a 1 day Battery phone even 1.5 day if you are a light user.

otimized charging.jpg

There is also support for optimized night charging that is auto enabled when you plug in your device to charge after 00:00 am. It slows down the charging speed and limits the charging to 90% and it completes the full charge at 06:00 am. You can still disable this feature if you are in a hurry or a night owl like me. It's a really well thought out feature which will help preserve battery health in the long
    term.

nord gif 1.gif
    (Charging Animation, Nice)
    The only complaint I have with the Battery Settings page is that it doesn't show any usage graphs anymore. Overall, the Nord 2 battery and charging experience is unlike anything else. It's a solid performer when it comes to Battery life. You wont have any complaints.

8. ananth46.reddy
    Eclair Sep 13, 2021

ananth46.reddy , via OnePlus Nord 2 , Sep 13, 2021 :
    It's quite not same experience for me.
    The battery is draining bit faster(even though iam average user) and battery stats are not accurate at all it displays always 0 ir some odd number for screen on-time values.
    Few app's get's closed automatically while i am still in the app and using it.
    OIS in camera doesn't work well, sometimes when i take pictures while moving it captures a blank black image.
    There are lot of other scenarios which doesn't allow me to agree with your mentioned experience here​

er.puneet507 likes this.
  9. ananth46.reddy
    Eclair Sep 13, 2021

ananth46.reddy , via OnePlus Nord 2 , Sep 13, 2021 :
    I would suggest strictly to avoid buying this nord 2 model instead they are far better mobile's with similar or more features in realme and mi brands with far more affordable price.
    Even the oxygen os in this model not clean and they're lot of UI and stability issues as per my observation in the past 1 month experience with nord 2.
    Please let me know if you're looking review for some specific features apart from gaming as I don't play much

er.puneet507 likes this.
  10. Aditya_4

Stickied Post
    Performance:

dim 1200.jpg

The device is powered by a custom Mediatek Dimensity 1200 AI SoC which is an octa-core processor based based on a 6nm fabrication process. The Prime ARM Cortex-A78 is clocked at 3 Ghz while other core specs are 3x ARM Cortex-A78 [email protected] Ghz and 4x ARM Cortex-A55 [email protected] GHz.

In terms of Performance the Dimensity 1200 stands somewhere between Snapdragon 865+ and Snapdragon 870. In daily usage the Phone files through everything in daily use. The App opening speed is super quick and the UI never feels jittery. With the help of UFS 3.1 storage, big apps like BGMI and COD Mobile load pretty quickly sans any detectable delay.
    I ran some benchmarks and here are the results.

nord 39.png
    Left: High Performance Mode Off | Right: High Performance Mode On
    nord 40.png
    Left: High Performance Mode Off | Right: High Performance Mode On
    nord 42.png
    I also ran the CPU throttling test and the device performed quite well. The CPU throttled to 84% of its performance after 15 minutes.

nord 41.png

After the CPU throttling test the device did feel a bit warm near the camera bump after measuring the temperature with an infrared thermometer the reading was between 38-38.5°C.

Gaming Performance:

I was pretty much locked at home due to covid cases in my building. Hence, I did a lot more gaming to pass the time. I played a lot of Battle Ground Mobile India (BGMI) and Call of Duty Mobile. The Mali-G77 MC9 GPU ran these games effortlessly. In BGMI, I was getting constant 60fps on Smooth+Extreme.

Nord 43.jpg

The Highest Setting available is HDR + Ultra which reserves the performance to 40fps. There is no support for 90 fps gaming as of yet but it can be enabled by a future software update. Few other Dimensity 1200 smartphones have already received this setting.

Nord 44.jpg

In COD Mobile the maximum graphics support is upto Graphics quality set to 'Very high' and frame rate set to 'Very high'. To enable 'Max Frame Rate' setting you have to drop the graphics settings on 'High'. In my opinion, this particular phone hasn't been updated for this chip yet. Hopefully, the developers do it soon as Dimensity 1200 can easily run COD Mobile on max settings.

Nord 45.jpg
    Even on low battery, the game ran consistently; didn't notice any frame drops

Network and Connectivity :

In Terms Of Connectivity the Chipset supports Dual SIM 5G (5G SA + 5G SA), Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.2 with support for aptX & aptX HD & LDAC & AAC codecs. I used my Bullets Wireless Z with the device and the connectivity was flawless.

nord 47.jpeg

I tested my device on LTE on a Jio SIM and I didn't face any issues. The call quality was really good with no connection drop offs. Carrier Aggregation is also supported so the network speed was impressive.

nord 48.jpeg
    Carrier Aggregation with 3CA

The Wi-Fi connectivity was top-notch. I have a 150 mbps connection and I was getting about 138-140 mbps constantly.

nord 46.jpg
    (I did most of my testing on 5GHz Wi-Fi)

If I have to describe Nord 2 performance I would use the famous words from the movie 'Cars' -
    speed-i-am-speed.gif

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021

aditikeit and AjayMalhotra like this.
  11. Aditya_4

Stickied Post
    Software :

nord 61.jpg

The OnePlus Nord 2 ships with the New OxygenOS 11.3 which like the header of my review has a lot of Color(OS) in it . In simpler terms this is the first version of OxygenOS that features the merge codebase of ColorOS. On First Impression it looks like the well liked Oxygen OS but when you start using this the changes start to appear.

There are only 2 major changes-

1.The Settings App

2. The Camera app (covered in detail in Camera review)

The Settings page is different from the previous version of OxygenOS 11 and has gone through a major redesign and now looks similar to the settings page in ColorOS. The total number of menu elements is now also increased from 20 to 26.

nord 62.jpeg

With the Explanation line wiped out, some menu elements got renamed for example : Customization is now Personalization and Security, Lock Screen is now called Password and Biometrics etc. Most of the beloved Oxygen features like Quick launch, Pro gaming mode are still there.

nord 50.png

The changes include-
    • New fingerprint animations
    nord 63.png
    There are 3 new fingerprint animations to choose from making the total 7. This change is much welcomed
    • A new Ambient display face
    nord 64.png
    The clock dial's hue changes throughout the day
    e.g. orange-ish during the day, more blue-ish through the evening
    • Battery usage and Management page
    nord 66.png
    • Adaptive font (Only supported in Sans right now)
    nord 65.png
    • The Lock screen password used to be of 4 digits; it’s 6 digit in the new version
    • New Software update page, similar to stock Android (please bring back the OG because this one doesn't support local update)
    nord 67.png

Things I missed in this version-

Custom Accent Color : In the previous version of OxygenOS the accent color can be set to any color via color code or choosing a particular hue but now it's gone. Now we only get 12 default colors to choose from. Feels kinda weird that after merging with ColorOS they removed the option to change colors. I hope they bring it back in Android 12 *fingers-crossed*

nord 49.png

Floating Keyboard : In the previous version of OxygenOS, if I get a message while watching a video I could just reply with a floating Keyboard but now the keyboard covers the whole screen.

nord 68.png

Even after these changes OxygenOS is still Ad-ware free and Bloatware free (for the most part only Netflix came pre-installed). There were some design inconsistencies but they can be ironed out with software updates.

nord 69.jpg
    Different setting icon than rest of the UI

I found no issues during my usage. There were no bugs whatsoever. In terms of update, OnePlus promises 2 years of major software updates and 3 years of security patches so this device will last you a long time.

aditikeit likes this.
  12. Aditya_4

Stickied Post
    Miscellaneous:

Haptics 2.0 : The Haptics on this device are excellent .The X-axis Linear motor offers tight and precise feedback . I wrote most of the review on the Nord 2 and I loved typing on it. I mean the haptics are so good I wish they were implemented more in the UI like while changing volume or brightness level a subtle haptic feedback would be neat.
    Stereo Speakers : The Stereo Speakers sound is really loud and crisp. The Tuning on these is done exceptionally well. The Stereo Separation between the bottom speaker and the earpiece speaker is precise.

nord 31.jpg

There is support for Dirac Audio Tuner with 4 presets (Smart, Movie, Game, Music). I kept mine on 'Smart' which adapts the sound according to the content and it sounded amazing. The sound was loud and crystal clear. It was even louder than my OnePlus 7 Stereo Setup. So, that's definitely an upgrade.

nord 70.png

The Dirac audio tuner doesn't work while using Bluetooth headset/headphones but when connecting USB type C headphone you get a feature called Real HD Sound. The output through USB type C is pretty impressive.

nord 72.jpg

I also tried the Game preset while playing BGMI and I noticed the Gun Firing sound became a lot louder while it didn't make much of a difference to the sound of footsteps. I tried the rest of the presets as well but they didn't sound much different to my ears.

Sensors : The device has all the necessary sensors and I didn't face any issues with any of them. The proximity sensor worked great during calls. I use Gyroscope while playing BGMI and it was fast and responsive. Compass and GPS worked amazing as well.

nord 71.png
    There are 29 sensors in total

Attached Files:

aditikeit likes this.
  13. Aditya_4

Stickied Post
    Aditya_4 , via OnePlus Nord 2 , Sep 13, 2021 :
    Conclusion :

The OnePlus Nord 2 is an excellent device that delivers an optimum experience at a pretty great price. With amazing practical features like 65 Watt charging, reliably long-lasting battery life, a fantastic main Camera, Ad-Free OS, a blazing fast Processor, a 90 hz Amoled Display, phenomenal sounding Stereo Speakers and 5G support- truly lives up to its slogan "Everything you could ask for".

The extra care towards making the device individual and personal to a consumer can be noticed throughout the user experience- be it intro of Personalization settings or an extra font addition.
    This device is an instant recommendation from my side to anyone who's looking to buy a well balanced mid-range device. A total no-brainer.

Feel free to drop any questions or suggestions in the comments. Will answer them to the best of my ability.

I'm grateful to have been a part of this LAB review for this truly impressive device.

Thanks for reading my review, until next time :)

Never Settle

aditikeit likes this.
  14. ananth46.reddy
    Eclair Sep 14, 2021

ananth46.reddy , via OnePlus Nord 2 , Sep 14, 2021 :
    I don't why but My experience with nord 2 is quite the opposite of yours.
    I keep taking my mobile to service centre almost 4 time's and they're unable to resolve my battery issues nor the performance issue and they are not ready to replace my mobile with a New one.
    Service is really pathetic if you get a faulty piece then you are on your own no body cares whether the phone explodes or something happens to you they just say it's due to external factors and not due to faulty oneplus mobile, if i asked them what are the external factors then they don't reply (this conversation i had with OnePlus team on twitter