The LAB - OnePlus TV U1S 55" Review by PhotoPicker

1. PhotoPicker
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Jul 2, 2021

PhotoPicker , Jul 2, 2021 :
    20210630_133709_0000.png

Hey Guys,

Let me start this off by introducing myself, I'm Karthik, from Kerala, I'm a Photographer and a Tech Enthusiast, now pursuing degree in Law. I'm so excited and honoured to be a part of the LAB Programme.

Before jumping into the review I would like to Thank @Daniel D.,@Venky61, Our beloved Mods, Writers' Club, and Community Ambassadors, and all other OnePlus Staff for selecting me for the first Non- Phone edition of The LAB.

Some of you may know me from the OnePlus 9 series LAB, This is my second time as a LAB reviewer. Reviewing a TV is gonna be a tough task, but I promise you that I'll be presenting an unbiased Review from my user experience with the OnePlus TV U1S Edition 55".

The OnePlus TV U1S is an all-new addition that extends the company's U series of Smart TVs in India. It comes with a 4K panel with the company's Gamma Engine that enhances the overall experience. OnePlus TV U1S comes in 65", 55" and 50" screen sizes.
    I'll be reviewing The OnePlus TV U1S 55"

So without any further ado let's dive into it.

Contents

Unboxing & Design

Display

Sound

Web Camera

Software and Experience

Unboxing & Design

The review unit of OnePlus TV U1S 55" came in a huge package. It looks so different from the usual boring TV packaging. It has so many writings all over it, with all the features of the TV.
    The package was covered with a plastic coating to protect from water and other liquid substances. And for more protection it was also tied up with two plastic strapping ropes.

IMG_20210628_154105.jpg
    All features at a glance (package)

Transportation of the TV was quite difficult for me. As the delivery partner refused to deliver the package to my home, I had to pick it up from their courier facility. It took 3 people to carry the TV( Actually it only needs two people, but for additional safety I would recommend three), and getting it inside the car was the hardest part for me. As I already know it won't fit into my car, I took my cousin's, without knowing it's backseats won't recline properly. (If you're planning to buy the TV please make necessary arrangements for the transportation ) Somehow we made it inside without hurting the TV.

IMG_20210629_084040 (1).jpg
    It finally made Home
    Now it's time for Unboxing! The box is pretty much huge and it weighs around 18 kilos (as per the information from waybill). The box stands out from other normal Tv packages with its unique way of design. I really loved it. Even my curious neighbours got to know all it's features without visiting my home, pretty cool isn't it?

After opening the box, there was an unusual wall mount bracket on a small box and other accessories for the TV. Now this time the TV comes with Wall mount bracket included in the box.

Inside the box you'll get
    • Remote,
    • Table top Stands
    • Wall- Mount bracket and Screws
    • 2x AAA batteries,
    • Red Cable Club Card,
    • Power cable
    • AV in Adapter
    • User Manual & Warranty Card.

IMG_20210628_165827.jpg

IMG_20210701_150243.jpg

Taking out the Styrofoam casing on the top, now you can see the top portion of the TV. There are two more Styrofoam casings on both sides so while taking the TV out, you should be more careful. My Father offered me a hand to take the TV out carefully.

Design
    Out of the box, The OnePlus TV 55" U1S is huge, looks so slim, lightweight and premium. It comes with an elegant design. The screen was covered with a cardboard piece to prevent screen-damages while installation. The design is so premium and OnePlus TV U1S offers over 95 percent screen-to-body ratio and ultra-slim bezels on the sides. It offers an immersive cinematic experience. There is a slight gap between the Display panel and the body.
    IMG_20210629_211509.jpg
    It blends into the Room

OnePlus TV U1S 55-inch features sleek bezels around the display on three sides, while the bottom panel houses a slightly bigger bezel as it houses various components including the light indicators. The bottom bezel is made of metal and feels sturdy. There's the Dynaudio branding at the bottom right corner. And there's OnePlus logo at the centre.
    The bottom centre housing on the TV shows six white LED lights in which two of them on both sides are power indicators and the other's works with the Speak now feature.

The OnePlus TV U1S 55" has a metal back. It is pretty much clean. I wish that the Smart TV came with a carbon Fibre pattern at the back, like the OnePlus TV U 55. Input ports are provided on the right side of the back panel, where the power-in port is placed on the left side. On the bottom it has two speakers with 30W output. The audio is co-developed by Danish loudspeaker maker Dynaudio. On bottom centre housing, On/Off button and Speak Now ™ button are provided.

There are: 3x HDMI 2.1 ports, 2x USB 2.0 ports, one AV port, an Ethernet port, an optical out, and a TV cable input. Unfortunately there’s no 3.5mm jack.

The metal stands feels sturdy and offer a solid base. The metal stands are attached to the main TV panel at corners on either side.
    The company offers both installation options - a wall mount as well as a tabletop. I would recommend wall mount installation, if you've small kids in home. Instructions for both installation methods are described in the User guide. For the installation purpose (both Table top and Wall Mount), I would recommend scheduling installation by OnePlus Technician, using OnePlus Care App.

IMG_20210629_092028.jpg
    Metal stand offers a solid base
    Overall,the design is so premium, the tv is so slim and light weight. The bezel-less display offers an immersive visual experience. The Tv has an elegant design. Metal stand offers a solid base and it holds the TV perfectly.

Continue reading...

Display
    Click here
    Sound
    Click here
    Web Camera
    Click here
    Software & Experience
    Click here
    Summary
    Click here

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021

2. PhotoPicker
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Jul 8, 2021

Stickied Post
    PhotoPicker , Jul 8, 2021 :
    Display

Talking about the display, OnePlus TV U1S has a 4k UHD display which provides a refresh rate of 60Hz. It's 95 percent screen-to-body ratio and ultra-slim bezels on the sides offers an immersive cinematic experience.

IMG_20210705_184316 (1).jpg

The 4k TV doesn't support Dolby Vision but supports HDR 10 and HDR 10+. It has a Wide Color Gamut with DCI-P3 93% and as well as a Delta E<2 rating for superior color reproduction. The picture quality of the OnePlus TV U1S is so amazing. It offers sharp and clean content with enhanced colours.

The TV comes with a number of picture presets like Standard, Vivid, AI picture, Movie, Eye comfort, etc. All these modes are customisable except for AI picture.
    You can adjust the screen brightness by tweaking backlight. It is set to 100 by default. I prefer 40-60 percent for night binge watching (lights off) and keep it as low with the lights on. I recommend Eye comfort mode during night binge watch. There are plenty of options for best visual experience. Watching HDR content on the U1S is an amazing experience.
    I was impressed by the overall performance.

0001-3868789305_20210705_201642_0000.png
    Plenty of options to choose
    Speaking of HDR performance, I played some content from Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, and the performance of the panel is actually pretty good. The colour reproduction was so great. But the skin tones in some sequences looked more like pink or light pink, also the panel tends to boost blue tones. The MEMC feature makes the scene more smooth, but sometimes it takes away the cinematic experience with ghosting effects.

However, while watching Irul on Netflix, most of it's scenes are in dark and the details in the dark areas aren't that much great. The dark scenes were darker. By lowering the Global dimming I could see some difference in the dark scenes. It’s better to keep the Global Dimming off or on low.
    For consuming content from OTT services like Netflix or Prime Video, I recommend setting it on AI picture mode, It gets the job done well. The Picture quality is not the best out of the box but it can be fixed with a few adjustments from the settings menu.
    IMG_20210705_164610.jpg
    A scene from Irul movie
    I tried out watching standard definition content via a set-top box, and I can indeed say that this TV isn't made for low-resolution content. But the TV did an excellent job upscaling the Full-HD content and offered sharp and clean content with enhanced colours.
    I would recommend getting a HD set-top box for better visual experience.

IMG_20210705_163412 (1).jpg
    View from extreme angle
    Overall, the TV has a good panel for content consumption. The colour reproduction is so great. It offers sharp and clean content with enhanced colours. The recommended viewing distance for OnePlus TV U1S 55" is 3.5-5.5 feet. Watching from extreme angles won't be an issue, since there is no color shift, tinting or fading effect. Picture quality is not the best out of the box but it can be fixed with a few adjustments from the settings menu. I'm so impressed by the overall performance.

3. PhotoPicker

Stickied Post
    Sound

OnePlus TV U1S 55" has two speakers on the bottom panel. The audio is tuned by Dynaudio the famous Danish loudspeaker maker. The built-in speaker system offers an output of 30W. It has Dolby audio support It provides crisp trebles, rich bass and perfectly balanced mid-range tones.

IMG_20210706_182845.jpg
    The audio is co-tuned with Dynaudio

I watched movies, live matches, and played some songs on Spotify and the sound was sharp, but it isn't loud enough. Sometimes the tv struggled with clarity of the output. It lacks clarity with dialogues in some scenarios. Thanks to the Dialogue Enhancer, setting it upto Medium added more clarity to dialogues.
    While watching Wrath of Man on Prime video, sound effects and the gun firing sounds were good, and punchy but the dialogue weren't that much clearer, but was okay.

It has 4 different sound modes such as Standard, surround, clarity, and user.
    I switched to Surround sound mode and the experience isn't what I expected. In surround mode the volume gets really low, which doesn't sounds like "surround". The volume is very low and has a muffled output. It's not bad, but it's not what we expect.
    Standard mode gives better audio performance with balanced and crisp trebles, rich bass and perfectly balanced mid-range tones. It gives the best quality audio output among the other two sound modes.
    Turning the Clarity sound mode on, you can perceive clearer dialogues, without turning dialogue enhancer. But it won't pop other sound effects.
    I personally recommend Standard mode for better audio experience.

0001-3914442196_20210706_183923_0000.png
    It offers different sound modes

I've connected it with soundbar via Bluetooth and the result was very impressive. I recommend using a soundbar system with the OnePlus TV U1S for a better movie experience. The TV supports Dolby Atmos when an Atmos-enabled soundbar is connected via HDMI eARC.

4. PhotoPicker

Stickied Post

Web Camera

OnePlus also introduced New OnePlus TV Camera. The camera has a minimal design and it's lightweight. It looks premium with black and grey colour. The camera has a magnetic holder which can be attached to the metal body of the TV easily. It can be connected to TV with USB-C to USB-A connector. It is compatible with Android TV 8.0 or above and windows.

IMG_20210624_190603.jpg
    OnePlus TV camera
    It has a 2MP sensor with fixed focus. There are two microphones on the camera. The visual and audio quality of the camera is amazing. The camera gives good output with a resolution of 1920 X 1080. and supports 25fps video recording. The camera works fluently with Google Duo, but there are only few members of my family using Google Duo for video calling. It also has a privacy slider, so you can hide the camera when it's not in use.

Talking about the audio quality, the camera has two microphones and it perfectly manage to cancel the unwanted background noise. It was very impressive. It pickup the audio very perfectly.

The TV comes with OnePlus camera app pre-installed. You can capture your favourite time with your family on the TV. The photos taken with the camera looks littile bit noisy when previewed.

5. PhotoPicker

Stickied Post

Software & Experience

The OnePlus TV U1S runs on Android TV 10. It has 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage.
    The software works great and I found it to be well optimised. The UI is so clean and minimal. The UI looks same as in android 9, I didn't find any visible changes. Oxygen Play 2.0, YouTube, Prime Video, Netflix, Spotify, Google Play Store, Bluetooth Stereo, File Browser, Weather, OnePlus Pictorial, Camera, apps comes pre-installed.

The interface lags quite a bit. While jumping over apps i could feel little bit lag. Switching from one app from another will freeze the screen sometimes. While switching from Netflix to Prime video, I could see it. I got few updates which intended to fix system lagging issue. After the update the performance has improved significantly. But, the system lag still persists here and there.
    Screenshot_20210706-150251.jpg
    Oxygen play 2.0
    Oxygen Play 2.0 is a new addition to the OnePlus TV. By pressing the OnePlus button on the remote will take you to Oxygen Play app. If you prefer watching online content, then Oxygen Play suits for the purpose. It shows curated content from different OTT apps like Prime , Zee5, Sony Liv etc. You can access previously watched contents from the My videos section on the left side.

IMG_20210706_150350.jpg
    OnePlus Connect

Using the OnePlus Connect app, you can turn your phone into a remote. You can navigate the UI of the TV using the OnePlus Connect app. You should connect the TV to same WiFi network as your phone. Typing with remote control was a headache for me, with OnePlus connect it is way more easy now. Users can perform a range of tasks like selecting content from compatible apps, pulling up screenshots from the TV, and using the app as a trackpad or keypad. Taking screenshots is so convenient with the App. If you can't find your remote or if the remote is dead you can still access the TV with OnePlus Connect App. There is MultiCast and ScreenCast options,

Speak Now is one of the most interesting feature of OnePlus TV U1S. The far-field mic button is placed on the bottom panel. By turning it On you can command Google assistant hands free. By calling "Hey Google" or "Ok Google" you can trigger Google assistant. The voice recognition is absolutely perfect. Even with background noise it pickup the voice perfectly. Make sure that your Phone is not around. Otherwise both Tv and phone will get triggered. I've encountered the same several times during my usage, and it was hilarious 😂.

Screenshot_20210707-193037.jpg
    Control bandwidth with Data Saver Plus

Data Saver Plus
    option is one of my favourite feature in OnePlus TV U1S, which will helps to control bandwidth. You can access Data Saver Plus under the Network & Internet settings. You can also set data usage alerts and switch off background network access for specific apps, as well as keep an eye on overall data use. If you're using mobile data, this feature will be very helpful to you. 4k content will consume huge amount of data within few minutes, if you're using mobile data to stream I would recommend turning Data saver plus On.

TV Remote
    IMG_20210629_085522.jpg

The OnePlus TV remote has a body language similar to all other smart tv remotes, build with plastic. It It runs on two AAA batteries. There's NFC logo on the remote, but i don't know what is it's purpose. I scanned it with my phone, but nothing came.

It comes with 11 buttons. The power button embedded within the OnePlus logo on top, which launch the OnePlus Play in single press, and if pressed for a few seconds, it will brings up power options; Restart, Sleep, and Power Off. If you're passing the remote to someone else, he'll go mad searching for the power button 🤣.
    At the bottom it has dedicated Netflix, and Prime buttons.
    There is a rounded navigation setup at the top, sitting right beneath the OnePlus and mute buttons.

Long-press the menu button to bring up the settings options, it will launch the settings within any app. Now you don't have to exit an app for tweaking picture and sound or changing the Wi-Fi network.

The TV can be controlled with OnePlus Watch. Currently I don't have one, so I couldn't try that feature.

6. PhotoPicker

Stickied Post

Summary

IMG_20210629_211509 (1).jpg

The OnePlus TV U1S 55" is priced at ₹52,999 (OnePlus Store) The bezel-less 4k UHD display offers an immersive visual experience. It lacks Dolby Vision but supports HDR 10 and HDR 10+ and has a Wide Color Gamut with DCI-P3 93% and as well as a Delta E<2 rating for superior color reproduction.

The U1S 55" has two down firing speakers with 30W output, co-developed by Dynaudio. It provides crisp trebles, rich bass and perfectly balanced mid-range tone. The audio quality is impressive. I recommend using a soundbar system with the OnePlus TV U1S for a better movie or show watching experience. The TV supports Dolby Atmos when an Atmos-enabled soundbar is connected via HDMI eARC.

It runs on Android TV 10 and has 2GB RAM and 16GB internal memory, The software works great and it is well optimized. The interface lags quite a bit. But it can be fixed with few software updates. The TV comes with plenty of features, like Speak Now, Oxygen play 2.0, OnePlus Connect, etc.

If you are looking for a Smart TV with amazing 4K experience, plenty of features, affordable price, then the OnePlus U1S is certainly worth considering. It comes in 65", 55" and 50" screen sizes and the features are same for all except the Speakers. If you're a person who does video calling with family on a big screen you can also add OnePlus TV camera accessory from the Store.

Thank you!!.

#NeverSettle

7. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jul 2, 2021

Venky61 , Jul 2, 2021 :
    Great Start @PhotoPicker ... Love that mood you created with the red light.. :)

I was in the same boat when I had to pickup Q1 and finally I gave up and had to request the courier guy only to deliver.

@Shivang Joshi is that you ;)

8. rasta_firasta
    The Lab - OnePlus 9 Pro Reviewer Jul 2, 2021

JCMerin and PhotoPicker like this.
  9. McJader
    Marshmallow Jul 2, 2021

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021

WakeAwake, Venky61 and PhotoPicker like this.
  10. Navdeep_Malik
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus TV U1S Jul 2, 2021

11. McJader
    Marshmallow Jul 2, 2021

McJader , Jul 2, 2021 :
    Nice Review so far, especially liked the product shots.

WakeAwake, Venky61 and PhotoPicker like this.
  12. PhotoPicker
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Jul 2, 2021

PhotoPicker , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Jul 2, 2021 :

Thank you so much @Venky61 , @rasta_firasta , @Navdeep_Malik , and @McJader.

Stay tuned for more detailed review.

All the best @Navdeep_Malik I'm so excited to see your review. 💕

13. gautamthapar
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus TV U1S Jul 3, 2021

gautamthapar , Jul 3, 2021 :
    Bro, I still cannot believe that you managed to fit it inside the car. Love the raw thoughts! Looking forward to the rest.

14. harimadhav
    OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Jul 3, 2021

PhotoPicker likes this.
  15. PhotoPicker
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Jul 3, 2021

PhotoPicker , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Jul 3, 2021 :
    That was the hardest part. 🥲😂
    BTW looking forward for your OnePlus TV U1S 65" review

16. Moka69
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 6, 2021

Moka69 , Jul 6, 2021 :
    Which panel? Also, any info on backlit type used, direct or edge?

PhotoPicker likes this.
  17. P1520252757324
    Cupcake Jul 6, 2021

P1520252757324 , Jul 6, 2021 :
    I had purchased one plus android smart tv
    after some tv show some line error. I had raise the complainant
    we are waiting for compliment technical team..but no body come .
    customer care commit change for smart tv led .afte week 2 technical excuitve come and carry with only tv pannel for another company..I investigate then they said we will come after 2 day
    but nobody come and surprise complaint is clos without resolution..
    this big scam
    View attachment 1659620

View attachment 1659622

View attachment 1659621

View attachment 1659625

View attachment 1659623

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2021

18. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jul 6, 2021

Venky61 , Jul 6, 2021 :
    Hey,
    This is a user forum... Do not share your personal information like Invoice details with address. Removed it from your post.
    Did you contact customer care again for asking the latest update?

19. PhotoPicker
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Jul 6, 2021

PhotoPicker , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Jul 6, 2021 :
    The Tv has a 4k UHD LED panel.
    There is no official information on the backlit type used. But it's edge lit as per my observation

B1632879421890 and Naømi like this.
  20. P1520252757324
    Cupcake Jul 6, 2021

21. Moka69
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 6, 2021

Moka69 , Jul 6, 2021 :
    LED is display type. I am curious about whether it's VA or IPS.
    Also, I saw some reports in from 3rd part saying its direct lit (DLED). Not sure though @Venky61

PhotoPicker likes this.
  22. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jul 6, 2021

Venky61 , Jul 6, 2021 :
    As the team's not revealing the details about the panel, unable to confirm anything about these. If I had the info, these would have made it to the Beta Testers write up too ;)
    But looking at the blooming on blacks, I feel it could be Edge lit and also the wide viewing angles make me think it's a VA panel but the contrast ratio says otherway... So can't quite figure unless the team confirms. Better than our guesses ;)
    Also I did see on some sites that 65 and 50/55 have different panels... So it's all mixed up.

SRD. likes this.
  23. PhotoPicker
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Jul 7, 2021

PhotoPicker , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Jul 7, 2021 :
    There is no official information regarding the Display panel or its backlit type.

B1632879421890 and Naømi like this.