The Lab Review - A OnePlus 9 Pro Review

1. superplus
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Mar 30, 2021

superplus , Mar 30, 2021 :
    No, not a video, I wasn't quite sure if there would even be a way to do it, but the photo @jlasensiofi showed is probably already better than what I wanted ;)

I was thinking of showing full-screen on both devices the same image, with some lines pattern on it, or a regular grid/dots pattern (optionally with some different colours), to see if we could see/judge the effect of this edge distortion improvement from the 8 Pro to the 9 Pro from that picture.

jlasensiofi and KaranRIyer like this.
  2. U1610052604546
    Cupcake Mar 30, 2021

jlasensiofi likes this.
  3. Menvedidos
    Cupcake Mar 30, 2021

Menvedidos , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Looks good! Can't wait to get my hands on the Pro soon! Looking forward to the #Hasselblad collab!

jlasensiofi likes this.
  4. meatandy
    Oreo Mar 30, 2021

meatandy , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Beautiful review right from the start my friend , Yes I am truly puzzled by the choice of OnePlus cases they are offering.

SRD., jlasensiofi and superplus like this.
  5. Liki_RK
    Eclair Mar 31, 2021

Liki_RK , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 31, 2021 :
    OnePlus have left behind their older phones and not bothered to produce the cases for them! I'm looking one for my 7T and is not available. The ones which were there weren't as good as they're for OP8 or it's pro version!

6. jlasensiofi
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 31, 2021

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021

7. K@reem34
    Froyo Mar 31, 2021

jlasensiofi and superplus like this.
  8. Ichbinharsh
    Gingerbread Mar 31, 2021

K@reem34 and jlasensiofi like this.
  9. jlasensiofi
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 31, 2021

K@reem34 likes this.
  10. michaelliao07
    Honeycomb Apr 1, 2021

michaelliao07 , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 1, 2021 :
    Congratulations and love the way you write. Although I did have to do a google search in some words you used but hey its good for me in a way. Nice clicks and presentation, very well done 👌🏻👍🏻

jlasensiofi likes this.
  11. Oreo.
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Apr 1, 2021

Oreo. , Apr 1, 2021 :
    Transparent cases! Simple yet elegant 😍

KaranRIyer, jlasensiofi and superplus like this.
  12. vikramrajchaudha
    Cupcake Apr 1, 2021

jlasensiofi likes this.
  13. jlasensiofi
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Apr 2, 2021

14. jlasensiofi

Stickied Post
    jlasensiofi , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Camera

And finally comes the moment that I have been waiting for a long time. The camera review.

First, I will take the liberty of making some personal observations. When OnePlus began publishing the photos from the camera co-developed with the iconic Hasselblad brand, I could see, not without amazement, how the veracity of these was called into question. Any criticism, good or bad, is always necessary. But to be credible, it must be founded on a foundation that supports it, and those criticisms, in my opinion, were not. I am a person who trusts everything, or almost everything until they show me otherwise, and more than criticism, they would be what I call reckless judgments.

On the other hand, come the comparisons. What if the camera is better or worse than that of this other phone if it is not worth it with how expensive it is compared to... In my country, and I do not know if, in others, we say that the proverb is very wise and we have the saying that "Comparisons are hateful." Personally, I do not like comparisons and I think that everything would be much easier if it were indicated that the OnePlus 9 Pro is like this, it takes these photos and it has these pros and cons. If you think you like it, you can buy it for this price and otherwise you can look for these other brands. And there the matter would end.

And why do I say all this? For a simple reason, because I ask myself the following question. Does the OnePlus 9 Pro camera, co-developed with Hasselblad, make photos that accurately reflect the colors we are seeing, and is the Natural Color Calibration with Hasselblad real? Now that I have the necessary basis, my answer is a resounding "Yes". And to be prudent, at least with the one I have in my hands.

And as we say in Spain that "One button is enough to show," here is mine.

LcwVpZh - Imgur.jpg

This photo reflects exactly the colors you were seeing. So, here ends my review of the OnePlus 9 Pro. Just kidding, a little humor always comes in handy and I get started.

Everyone who knows me knows my passion for photography, but I am not a professional and therefore my opinions can be considered subjective. That is not to say that I will not dot the i's, if necessary.

On March 31st, I finished taking the review photos and when I got home I found a system update and major improvements to the camera software. Oh no! Well, I will have to try them, and later I will update the post with new photos if necessary.

On the other hand, I want to say that all the photos I usually take are edited with Lightroom and/or Snapseed on mobile. I adjust the histogram, if necessary, and other small basic adjustments, as I am very bad at editing photos. But I consider that it is always necessary because the cameras do not capture one hundred percent of what our eyes are seeing, in addition to other technical issues due to the sensors of the mobile phones. Here I have edited some of them except those that, due to the type of the photo, I do not consider necessary.

And another important point. Due to the restrictions due to the coronavirus, I have not been able to move with the freedom that I would have liked. I have escaped somewhere or other, but with fear and suspicion. For that reason, the photographs I have taken are not what I would have liked.

I start with the cameras that the OnePlus 9 Pro carries and what they are...

Cámaras.jpg

The interface of the camera in all the modes that we have, except in the Pro, is the same that we have had in previous models, a comfortable interface that allows you to easily select each of them. Once some aspects are configured, such as the 3x3 grid, we also have the button to access Google Lens and this is the aspect.

Screenshot_20210330-100703.jpg

Entering Settings, in the upper right corner, we access the configuration options where we can adjust a series of parameters.

Ajustes.jpg
    And getting into the matter, here are some photos in the different modalities. To say that both the focus and the shot do it in a very fast and effective way. And the shutter sound, the Hasselblad sound that OnePlus has wanted to capture, although not identical, I love as well as it is color inherited from the brand.

Testing the main camera, both in its normal resolution and in high resolution, produces clear images, with sharpness and color that reproduces what my eye is seeing. Here are some unedited samples.

oyyLu8l - Imgur.jpg

ZaYioJA - Imgur.jpg

jAZ63NB - Imgur.jpg

Lemonade girl

OUodg7w - Imgur-01.jpeg

HhIVpQG - Imgur.jpg

Yes, just a door, but very red.

dkCPfjs - Imgur.jpg

urEIn3m - Imgur.jpg

wlGf9GR - Imgur.jpg

They are different scenarios, colors, days, and times, I think they are all well represented and in my opinion with enough quality to say that it is an excellent automatic mode. Yes, it is true that I still see some artifacts in the sky of the second and third photos. Something recurrent that I commented on with colleagues from the Community and that, if I remember correctly, they told me is formally called Semantic Segmentation, whose solution is complex. On the other hand, doing a lot of zooming shows visible noise in the entire lower part of the third photo.

The latest system update states "Improved noise and white balance issues with the rear camera" as well as "Improved image quality of the rear camera, when shooting at night" so I will have to go back to try since I took that photo around 9:00 p.m. when it was getting dark. So for now I remain with reservations about the statements I make in this regard.

And I do not finish this section of the Automatic Mode without ceasing to comment on how good I think the green areas look, where I do not appreciate the watercolor effect at first glance, nor the noise that appeared in the Camel colors, like the hair of the dog that I could photograph. The color of the last photo, the texture of the trees, and in general the whole scene is an exact reproduction of what was in front of me.

As a summary, my opinion is that the level of detail seems very good, excellent in certain lighting conditions and depending on the scene, as I think is normal, natural colors without saturation and also having a very balanced histogram.

On the other hand, the zoom behavior has seemed incredible to me. I who do not have a good pulse, I have been able to take these photos with a 2x zoom and I cannot say more than it has left me speechless. I have not edited them so that what I am commenting on is clearly seen.

sOgF4Bg - Imgur.jpg

EtYKvcu - Imgur.jpg

And let's not say the 3x zoom. Amazing!

t4n13EK - Imgur.jpg

9EmgxXm - Imgur.jpg

WpxxSK4 - Imgur.jpg

Same as Telephoto (3.3x). Superb!

ofI7KFT - Imgur.jpg

Working with the zoom or Telephoto, being done without a tripod, I do not see any jitter and a more than acceptable level of detail, in addition to totally natural color preservation. The work that has been done is truly amazing.

When I started testing with Portrait Mode, I was delighted. The photos I took were taken from different points of view and distances. In all of them, the profile is perfectly preserved and they have an excellent finish in both color and texture. Here you can see some samples that have not been edited, I think they don't need it, and they speak for themselves.

1EcTs40 - Imgur.jpg

zxDSky7 - Imgur.jpg

If anything, in the next photo a bit of blur on the upper part of the shoulder, but I think it is more due to the distance from the foreground. In any case, it does not seem to me to be of much importance.

72gkeKd - Imgur.jpg

5oZO8e6 - Imgur.jpg

And if we talk about the work that has been done with the Wide Angle Mode, then they are big words. Respecting the colors, textures, and detail, I think the result is excellent and it is worth taking a lot of photos with this mode.

I do have to say that in some of the photos I have taken some distortion is noted on the side edges, but having such a wide view allows you to edit and crop the photo somewhat, still leaving a sufficiently large view so as not to lose the purpose of this Mode.

I have also noticed that in some dark areas some noise can be seen, but it is still solvable from what I commented previously.

So, for example, in this first photo, I see that the steps on the left are blurred. They are photos that I have edited, but I have not wanted to cut to show what I mean. As you can understand, cutting that area a little is not going to affect the final result of that spectacular vision.

3RQ7tby - Imgur.jpg

It behaved very well in the next scene with a lot of light, with some noise being able to appear in areas of shadow that are difficult to perceive.

M7TN5JS - Imgur.jpg

And in the last one, I think the result is very striking. The barks of the eucalyptus trees are perfectly visible as they rise towards the sky.

yVFIZHE - Imgur.jpg

There are many camera features and the Night Landscape Mode is another one that has given me great results. It is true that I had a problem taking these photos. In the city where I live we have a curfew at 10:00 pm. And with the time change, it starts to get dark around 9:00 p.m., so I haven't been able to have much time. Still, I have tried my best not to leave this Mode unrepresented in the camera review.

This Mode solves low light situations very well, as you can see in these photos.

dcmX5Wx - Imgur.jpg

This photograph is quite resistant to zooming, but if you zoom in too much, details are easily lost and a lot of noise can be seen.

Cj5Bcbh - Imgur.jpg

And in this other, when you bring the upper part of the shield closer, shadows of its profile are seen.

Ut8hOUz - Imgur.jpg

lVWLDT1 - Imgur.jpg

And finally, this is one of the scenes that I always try to repeat to check the operation of this Mode. This corner is totally dark as can be seen in the following photo.

yW11Cyc - Imgur.jpg

And applying the Night Mode, the result is the following.

Uj4dE4h - Imgur.jpg

As you can see, Night Mode does an excellent job. And even more so considering that, having taken a few seconds, there has been no shake and the photo has come out perfect.

And of course, we have another mode that works wonderfully. Super Macro has seemed excellent to me, without the shake problem that I have when taking photos from such a short distance, with incredible sharpness and respecting colors faithfully.

These two photos, unedited, demonstrate the incredible work.

K7QQtAD - Imgur.jpg

Z2GkCTx - Imgur.jpg

And these other two, also unedited and made with Super Macro 2x, confirm the wonder of this mode.

0ZjL1vI - Imgur.jpg

tanKiGC - Imgur.jpg

And I have to confess one thing. It is the first time that I manage to make a Panorama as it should be. Until now they all came out badly, with faults in the seams. And instead, with the OnePlus 9 Pro, I have achieved this panorama that has come out perfect.

W2TbRrS - Imgur.jpg

I think I am extending myself too much, but the occasion is worth it. And even more so when we talk about Pro Mode. The experience with that mode has been incredible.

Its interface has given a notable change, with sliders that are much more comfortable than circular ones and that vibrate when you slide them.

In addition, it has a new manual focus system, Focus Peaking. It consists of highlighting the area in focus with a color that indicates a better focus with greater intensity.

Interface Pro.jpg

You can change parameters such as ISO, color temperature, exposure time, focus, and exposure compensation. In addition, it is possible to take photos in RAW mode, a mode that contains all the image data as captured by the camera's sensor and allows subsequent retouching to be optimized with an editing program.

As I said at the beginning the mobility limitations, also in my city there are not flashy or colorful places, where I can get a hundred percent performance of the characteristics in this way.

Except for the photo I was able to take of the doll I found on one of those getaways, I have no choice but to walk around the city looking for alternatives. And those alternatives went through looking for striking scenes. So I spent a lot of time window shopping until I managed to find one. It has been hard work, but I think I managed to get some eye-catching photos.

So here the sample of the photos that I can say confirms the Hasselblad Natural Color Calibration, because those colors are a faithful reproduction of the scenes, in addition to a sharpness that I had not seen until now in that mode. And I include the photo with which I opened this review.

LcwVpZh - Imgur.jpg

vEKVqdu - Imgur.jpg

rKAmhXF - Imgur.jpg

tmrc8p7 - Imgur.jpg

fFZaFDU - Imgur.jpg

Pokf3Mi - Imgur.jpg

But I have also managed to ensure that, in other scenes with less lighting and color, the result remains a luxury in my opinion.

c3Hy6IU - Imgur.jpg

Although in the next one it does not resist much magnification with the zoom. So everything has allowed me to take the photo with an ISO 100 and the result, not being excellent, for me is more than satisfactory.

bCW6iOw - Imgur.jpg

I would not want to leave the camera review with a question that I consider essential. Whether we take the photos in Automatic Mode or in Pro Mode, we can know their information by going to see their details. And within this information, we have the possibility to check if they are well or badly done. To be more specific, I mean that we can see the histogram of the photo, as well as other information, and thus know if it is correctly exposed.

Screenshot_20210402-115324.jpg

I consider this information of vital importance, although in my case the Exposure Time information is missing, which I have already reported to OnePlus. It is the essential information and I am sure it will appear in the following versions of the software.

I had not used the Pro Mode on my OnePlus 8 Pro as much as I wanted as I did not get the results I would like. But I see that the path that OnePlus has started with Hasselblad has given the result that I have been waiting for many years.

And for the record, the dreaded artifacts I mentioned earlier reappear in the sky of those two photos. I trust that with the new updates of the system they will be solved.

And to finish, I leave you some of Hyperlapse in 1080 at 5x quality, 1080P 240FPS slow motion, and 4K 60FPS normal mode. Not that I make a lot of videos in my day-to-day life, but you had to try them. I did not like the normal video very much. I notice how when walking there is a movement in the lower part as if it did not have enough stability. Slow-motion and Hyperlapse seem like they do a great job to me. I will continue to test and update if necessary.

My conclusion is that the OnePlus 9 Pro camera is, without a doubt, the best I have had since I started my journey with the brand. The fact of having chosen and achieved the co-development of the camera with Hasselblad has marked the beginning of a new career whose first steps have been a camera of extraordinary performance, fast focusing, and shooting in any of the modes, a sharpness that I've been wishing for a long time and an indisputable color reproduction. On the other hand, it has great stability that has allowed me to take practically all the photos without any problem.

As I mentioned earlier, some photos still have artifacts or noise, but I have to test the camera with the new software updates that have been released after this review.

This is the camera I've been waiting for a long time.

Congratulations to OnePlus for that great job.

I hope you liked it.

Never Settle.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021

15. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Apr 2, 2021

Shailender Sharma , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Very well said @jlasensiofi :)

I love your camera review and you have answered many questions popping in my head.

So, according to you OnePlus 9 Pro is the best ever camera produced by OnePlus.

Superb photography. :)

superplus, script and jlasensiofi like this.
  16. jlasensiofi

jlasensiofi , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Many thanks! :hearteyes:

I am glad to know that I can have helped you with those questions you had.

Of course, for me, it is the best of all the ones I have had, and I have been with OnePlus since the One. There have been good cameras, but the quality of this one is incomparable.

Thanks a lot! :);)

17. woSch
    Photography Expert Apr 2, 2021

woSch , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Thank you so much for your excellent Camera Review my dear friend ... it was a pleasure to read and to see the impressive pictures 🙏🏻😀🙋🏻‍♂️

18. script
    Moderator Moderator Apr 2, 2021

script , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Thx for the great written and performed review.

19. R2rB_ski
    Donut Apr 2, 2021

R2rB_ski , Apr 2, 2021 :
    Many thanks :), great photos and review. I got q...as You received a new camera software, did You notice any changes in plus:)? here is; https://www.fotopolis.pl/testy/mobile/34622-oneplus-9-i-oneplus-9-pro-test-aparatow-recenzja a pretty good review unfortunately in Polish.

Summarizing the test from the link above:

OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro are certainly very pleasant to use Android smartphones and a good entry into the world of more advanced photographic possibilities on the mobile market. Although in both cases the camera modules offered are unlikely to outclass the top models of Xiaomi, Huaweia or Samsung, they offer roughly comparable results, as well as an extensive range of functions. The only significant problem with OnePlus smartphones seems to be aggressive sharpening and noise reduction in the standard (automatic) mode.

Do You agree with that:)? Looking at your photos, I don't have such an impression, but maybe it's a matter of postprocessing...
    Have a good day
    Artur

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021

jlasensiofi likes this.