[The Lab] Romain Cudon's OnePlus 6 Review

1. Romain Cudon
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 27, 2018

Romain Cudon , May 27, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

Day 1 - Unboxing

Hi! I am Romain, and I am late to the Lab Review Party because I could not get my hands on the phone before this Sunday.

Now I took my shot of wow-effect, it is time for me to share with you my experience unboxing the OnePlus 6.

[​IMG]

My review unit came in this big black box, I was totally hyped until my SO asked me what new shoes I had bought. Indeed. Magic was still going strong with me anyway. But it’s true that the content of the box feels way more premium than the box itself and that’s what matters.

I was provided with three cases and the phone.

[​IMG]

The finish of each case is really satisfying. I really like the feel of the red Silicon Protective Case but the colour is too flashy for me.

[​IMG]

Both this case and the Nylon Bumper one have a soft fabric touch inside, to guaranty some nice support for your phone. It looks really premium.

[​IMG]

The Karbon Bumper does not have the same treatment sadly, and that would make it my least favourite one.

[​IMG]

So in the end the Nylon is probably the one I’d use as a daily driver.

[​IMG]

I tried my best not to jump on the phone first and it is now time to have our first look to the awaited OnePlus 6 under this simple yet beautiful box.

[​IMG]

If you are familiar with OnePlus you will not be surprised but you will always be pleased. The packaging is simple, straight to the point and the phone looks great in its frame. And you can already guess what that 6.28 inches display will look like…

[​IMG]

But that is not all. You also get your phone charger enabled with fast charging technology and a silicon bumper case! My current phone is a OnePlus 3 and a case was not part of the deal when I purchased it two years ago. This is a nice and smart move in my opinion. It also feels a little thinner than the other ones which is plus.

[​IMG]

Needless to say, the phone looks gorgeous in Mirror Black, but this will be tomorrow’s topic!

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for more!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2018

2. Romain Cudon
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 28, 2018

Stickied Post
    Romain Cudon , May 28, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

Day 2 – Design

When the first “almost-bordeless” phones were announced I liked what I saw. The simplicity that this design provides to phones really speaks to me. So when the OnePlus 6 was announced I immediately dug the design.

[​IMG]

It has been a little more than a day since I got the OnePlus 6. The Mirror Black version of it. The 84% screen-to-body ratio really does a big impression coming from the OnePlus 3. Now, I know that the notch has been quite a big deal these last months, but I don’t mind it. I have more screen real estate thanks to it, so I like it. I am even ready to give up on the front facing fingerprint reader for screen real estate. Oh, and by the way, even if I mostly use face unlock, the Fingerprint Reader in the back is ideally placed.

The other feature that is an improvement from the OnePlus 3 is the Alert Slider.

[​IMG]

This little guy is now on the right side of the phone. As a right-handed I mostly use my phone with my right hand and… the switch does not necessarily fall just under my thumb, BUT I can trigger it way more easily, with just one hand. I just have to reach a little. And voilà. It is not much but it is a significant improvement on a daily basis.

The thing I was mostly afraid of with this phone is the all-glass design. Will it break more easily than ceramic? I don’t know yet. But I know that I love the look and feel.

[​IMG]

And I am relieved because the phone is not that slippery in my hands, less than my OnePlus 3 for example. However as soon as you let your phone on a table or some kind of fabric, you’d better be sure that the plan is perfectly flat. No surprise though, the phone is a fingerprint magnet and… dust as well!

[​IMG]

There are two little things that bug me a little: the camera bump and the glass-to-metal transition on the top of the back of the phone. The camera bump is a constant in the industry so we have to learn to live with it. The other one is really only a detail but when playing with the phone I had several times the feel of a harsh transition where the glass back meets the metal top frame. It is not bad, it is just not as good as the rest of the overall feel of the phone.

[​IMG]

In the end, this shiny beast reassured me. I am not usually into glossy designs but it is well done here, kind of subtle. The minor imperfections are easily forgotten in favour of the new placement of the Alert Slider and of the screen-to-body ratio!

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for more!

Last edited: May 29, 2018

3. Romain Cudon
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 30, 2018

Stickied Post
    Romain Cudon , May 30, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

Day 3 – Speed

“The speed you need”. To be honest, I was pretty satisfied with my OnePlus 3 regarding performance and speed. It was also reliable in delivering said speed, which is at least as much as important.

So, the question was for me: will the OnePlus 6 make me addicted to its speed? Does going back to the OnePlus 3 will be underwhelming? Let’s see...

[​IMG]

No wonder, the OnePlus 6 is very reactive. I mean it packs 8 GB of RAM, the latest 845 Snapdragon processor and the Adreno 630 GPU. So yes, all the necessary processing power to blow you away is here, right into the palm of your hand. But that is not all, the software optimization is really important as well.

At the very beginning, to be fair I did not feel a great improvement compared to the OnePlus 3. And then it hit me, I did tweak a little my previous device, playing with the developer options. So I did the same to the new one. If you want to do it, go to the settings and in the about phone section tap 7 times the build number. There you are, developer options are enabled. Now you can get in there and deactivate window animation scale and transition animation scale:

[​IMG]

Let’s be clear, this does not make the phone faster. But it makes if feel faster. That was important for a fair comparison. And here it was, the speed I was more used to. And even a little more? Hard to say, but really impressive.

The ability to find any app you have been using before, still running strong with no lag is really amazing. The 2 more GB from the OnePlus 3 might be helping in the management of a lot of background applications.

This point may be more specific but the gain of speed for me is also thanks to… the screen. Bigger screen means more information displayed which means less scrolling around which means, time saved. Bam. That simple yet very efficient. It might not seem to be much but for example Reddit on r/All is displaying one more article on the OnePlus 6 on the right:

[​IMG]

And this, right here, is time saved, it is speed to me somehow: every app will display more information in a single screen throughout your day.

And the last thing for me that is faster without a doubt are the loading times. While processing power is accountable for this, so is a better LTE network management and perhaps as well, as it is advertised, all-glass design!

[​IMG]

The tests were realised on 3 different servers in about 10 minutes, for better readability:

[​IMG]
    There is a clear undeniable boost in the LTE network performance on the OnePlus 6. Now, this is a speed I didn’t know I needed. I was fine before knowing it can get that fast. But going back to the OnePlus 3 with these speeds was kind of underwhelming. Kudos on that!

[​IMG]

So, in the end, the OnePlus 6 has convinced me that I could use more speed. Time will tell us if the phone can deliver this speed on the long run, but so far so good and going back to the 3 now feels a little… clunky.

I have a couple more things to say about optimizing speed, but this is more software related, so we will discuss it during day 5 with the Oxygen OS review! But the camera review will come first!

Last edited: May 30, 2018

superplus, Alvie, Ruby G. and 3 others like this.
  4. Romain Cudon
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 2, 2018

Stickied Post
    Romain Cudon , Jun 2, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

Day 4 – Camera

OnePlus has through time earned its reputation as a company building very good quality phones for a very fair price or “bang for your buck phones”. However, camera quality has been an issue reported by users. Maybe this is where OnePlus cut a little on the specs.

Today with the OnePlus 6, we have a dual camera system featuring 16MP for the main one backed up with a 20MP one. The main camera opens at 1.7 and the sensor is bigger by 19%. Bigger sensor with the same number of pixels means bigger pixels and should translate as a better ability to capture images in low light conditions.

The camera comes with software enhancements like Smart Capture which aims at optimizing your photographs according to the situation, Advanced HDR mode and Portrait Mode for bokeh effects.

Video-wise, the OnePlus 6 can shoot 4K up to 60 fps, slow motion down to 480 fps and has EIS and OIS.

[​IMG]

This review will feature some shots made with the OnePlus 3 for comparison. It sports a single 16MP f/2.0 camera with OIS and 4K up to 30 fps enabled.

Also, there’s a front facing camera. Spoiler: I didn’t test it much but the couple shots I made were really decent for the use I have of it.

So down to my impressions with this camera! How does the OnePlus 6 do? I typically take pictures with a mirrorless camera, so for me a smartphone is a secondary camera, for these situations when you did not bring the main one. My use is more for casual shots which was applied to this review.

By the way, all pictures or videos are straight out of camera on auto mode, no retouching at all, only the OnePlus 6 processing the images.

This is the first outside picture I took with the device. It was not the easiest:

[​IMG]
    ISO 100 | 1/5000s | f/1.7

The backlight was way stronger than what it seems to be in the shot. However, HDR played its role and apart from the lens flare and the noise in the shadows, I don’t believe that in this situation it was possible to do a lot better.

[​IMG]
    Zoom x2

In slightly softer backlighting situation, the OnePlus 6 delivers a better dynamic range:

[​IMG]
    ISO 100 | 1/8000s | f/1.7

But you still have lens flare, here in the bottom right corner.

Speaking of dynamic range, this is for me a good point for OnePlus:

[​IMG]
    ISO 100 | 1/1250s | f/1.7

Images are very clear and colors are vibrant, maybe a little too much to my taste. But we have a decent amount of details in the shadows without burning our whites. Sure, shadows are slightly noisy, and a little oily. Also maybe some lens distortion in the corners? The level of details, in the corner where images are usually less sharp is very good in my opinion:

[​IMG]
    Zoom x2

So, what about true lowlight? Well, I am impressed.

[​IMG]
    ISO 1600 | 1/17s | f/1.7

I mean, ISO 1600. In the situation the scene is way darker with heavy raining. Details are noisy but ISO 1600, and hand handled at 1/17s. This shot is still sharp and that is great.

Same here with this shot at ISO 6200 (!) where the real situation was way darker:

[​IMG]
    ISO 6200 | 1/10s | f/1.7

I was not familiar with portrait mode, but it is actually pretty efficient to create the illusion of bokeh. It can be a “nice to have” for quick portraits on the go. Even with this kind of models:

[​IMG]

With this mode on, the border of your subjects might suffer a little from the processing:

[​IMG]
    Zoom x2

Compared to the OnePlus 3, the 6 sure does a better job:

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 3 | ISO 100 | 1/5000s | f/2.0

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 6 | ISO 100 | 1/1600s | f/1.7

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 3 | 100 ISO | 1/2000s | f/2.0

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 6 | ISO 100 | 1/2500s | f/1.7

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 3 | ISO 160 | 1/50s | f/2.0

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 6 | ISO 100 | 1/160s | f1.7

In the end, in good lighting conditions, the OnePlus 3 and 6 have a similar rendering with an overall better quality for the 6. However, in highly contrasted or lowlight conditions, the OnePlus 6 clearly has the upped hand with a clearer quality and brighter colors. Maybe thanks to a better ISO management and the bigger sensor!

Regarding video, well I am not a video guy but I had some fun with the different modes! Visioning this lighter at 480 frames per second is very satisfying to me. Just as this sped up video.

In the end, video quality seems very good and OIS works like a charm but what sold me is this video of a heavy rain at 4K, 60 fps and very lowlight conditions.

[​IMG]

To conclude, I am really impressed with high contrasts and lowlight performances, but I love photography and I will not replace my mirrorless camera with my OnePlus 6. But from now on, I will be way more confident when leaving my place with only my smartphone in my pocket. I know that the OnePlus 6 will deliver very good quality shots, more than enough for social media for example.

Next time, we will talk about Oxygen OS. How does it support the power packed in the phone? Let’s see tomorrow!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018

superplus, Crystal Z., Alvie and 5 others like this.
  5. Romain Cudon
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 4, 2018

Stickied Post
    Romain Cudon , Jun 4, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

Day 5 – Oxygen OS

As we discussed on day 3 about speed, the OS is at least as much as important as specifications to optimize your phone up to “the speed you need”.

And that is OK because OnePlus has the reputation to have an OS that is very close from stock Android and very performant. We will talk about how software helps the OnePlus 6 to deliver speed. By the way, my device is still running Oreo, stock Oxygen OS 8.1.0 and I am using OnePlus Launcher.

[​IMG]
    OnePlus Easter egg

So there are several things that I love with Oxygen OS: it is clean, straight to the point, out of the box your phone is not bloated with useless software, it is fast. In one word, Oxygen OS is performant.

For the last week, I had one app that crashed, the camera when adjusting the exposition setting. Otherwise the phone ran smoothly for the whole week and I encountered no lag or such. So for me Oxygen OS is doing a perfect job.

I also enjoy the new reading mode feature. This feature will adapt you screen to a more easy to read color and texts will look a tad crispier and this automatically for the apps you selected.

[​IMG]
    Settings > Display > Reading mode

Another feature that I love is both new and old: the Alert Slider is back to its original use! We can now switch from a ring, vibration or silence mode. The Do Not Disturb is now part of the quick settings. This is how I thought it was supposed to work for me and I love it.

[​IMG]
    And displaying the mode you are switching to is a nice touch! Add the fact that the Alert Slider physical place is better in my opinion, aaaand I’m totally convinced.

But what was more important for me was that the phone has a new form factor, meaning no physical buttons. How will the OS manage this? How will I, as a user, welcome the change? What about speed and the gestures?

The first thing I did when I got the phone was deactivating the onscreen navigation buttons. I wanted more screen real-estate as you know if you already read previous reviews. So here I am with the gestures. But a little flashback first about the set up I had with my OnePlus and for the record, I was not using OnePlus Launcher:

1. Double tap on back button expanded the notifications panel
    2. Double tap on recent button instantly opened the previous application I was on
    3. Double tap on home button instantly turned off the screen and locked the phone
    4. Double tap on the home screen opened a search function on the whole phone

All these actions at the tip of my fingers. Now, back to the OnePlus 6, well I am 3 buttons short. How did it go?

[​IMG]
    Well it took some time for me to adapt and I had to find workarounds for most of my useful shortcuts.

Point 3 was replaced by the ability to double tap to turn the screen off and lock the phone. Point 4 by the ability to swipe up from the dock and instantly enter the search mode for an app. To do so you have to activate quick search in the dock settings:

[​IMG]
    Swipe up from dock > 3 dots settings

On my previous device I could also search for a contact, in my text messages or even the web… but the main role was to search for an app, so half my feature is back.

[​IMG]

But what about point 1 and 2? So far if I want to see my notifications without reaching to the top of my screen (and, as a reminder, it is huge), I need to go back to my home, swipe up from the bottom of the screen then swipe down from anywhere in the screen. That’s too long. So, as on the OnePlus 5T I think it would be wise to implement fingerprint scanner gesture and let me swipe it down to expand my notifications panel!

To go back to my previous opened app, there is no other choice than to swipe up, hold and select it. I can live with that because the double tap had some and I don’t feel like I am losing time. But if there is a way to improve it, please do. This feature would be very useful when multitasking.

[​IMG]

So in the end, Oxygen OS fulfill its promises. It is fast, reliable and clean. A couple new features that I use daily were added (and more like Gaming Mode that I do not use but might be of some help). So I am satisfied with it.

I was able to adapt from physical buttons to no buttons at all but I lost small features that used to make my life easier. However some software improvements could easily erase these lacks. Fingerprint scanner gesture allowing users to swipe down to expand the notifications panel, for example, wink wink.

I will soon wrap up these reviews and let you know my overall feeling about the OnePlus 6. Stay tuned!

superplus, Crystal Z., Alvie and 2 others like this.
  6. Romain Cudon
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 4, 2018

Stickied Post
    Romain Cudon , Jun 4, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

Day 6 – Conclusion

It has been a week since I have been using the OnePlus 6, Mirror Black, 8 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage. It is now time to give you my final impression on the phone. Would I recommend it? Is the jump from a OnePlus 3 justified?

[​IMG]

I will start with what I dislike about the OnePlus 6. Design-wise, there is not much to say except that I am a little scared about the all-glass design because I am pretty sure that a single drop would be too much to handle for the phone. Also, it is a fingerprint magnet, no wonder about that. Regarding the accessories, cases have a tendency to be too thick and thus kind of ruining efforts that OnePlus design teams have put in this great almost borderless design. So you see my point: since I am afraid to break the phone, I have to undermine the design.

[​IMG]

Regarding the camera, I am really satisfied, but not impressed. I know that at some point in my life, optical technology will be so advanced that the image quality of a smartphone will be enough to replace a DSLR. But not today. Today the OnePlus 6 camera is more than decent and will perfectly do most of the job. Better than my OnePlus 3 in normal conditions and way better darker situation for example.

In terms of software, I believe that a little more tweaking is still necessary to compete with what was achieved by the past because the new form factor requires some adaptation.

Actually, not much to dislike…

[​IMG]

But on the positive side...

The design first, is great to me. I love handling the phone caseless and just do the usual stuff. The almost borderless display is really impressive and I have the feeling that I am holding a very premium device. I also dig the new placement of the Alert Slider! A week after I am still blown away by the design and feel of the device.

Speed is the other area where the phone does great in my opinion. It is remarkably fast and reliable. Apart from one app crash, the phone never suffered from lags. I made it my daily driver and it never failed me. And this what I am really looking for in a smartphone. A reliable, fast phone. This is an epic win here.

What else do I win compared to my previous device, the OnePlus 3? The Face Unlock and a better battery life. Face unlock is lightning fast and so far, accurate. I was really worried about losing the fingerprint scanner in the front, I was even hoping to find one under the screen before the phone was announced. But in the end I don’t mind at all. Face Unlock does the job perfectly. The only drawback is when the phone is on the desk, I must lean forward a little. So yeah, not a big deal. And meanwhile my battery life drastically improved:

[​IMG]

It is almost 11pm, my phone was unplugged around 8am. And here I am with more than half of it left. SOT will likely be around 7 hours. During my day, I listened to music, browsed Reddit, GPS-tracked my round-trip bike commute for 1 hour, answered emails and messages, read tons of WhatsApp messages (ask my fellow co-reviewers), did some social media… Usual day. With a little care, I could almost have a second similar day with the same charge. Awesome. And anyway, fast charge is still here so it is not going to be a problem.

[​IMG]

Verdict: one week after having it, I can hands down recommend the OnePlus 6. It is a great device, that delivers reliable speed and looks great. Coming from the OnePlus 3, it really feels like an improvement. I didn’t know I could use more speed but going back to it would be a significant downgrade. I can say that the OnePlus 6 on a daily basis made me win some time.

So all comes down to budget, the OnePlus 3 still is a great device but if you and your wallet are OK to spend around $550, jumping from the 3 to the 6 will definitely put a smile on your face!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

7. Alvie
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer May 27, 2018

Alvie , May 27, 2018 :
    Looking forward to the rest of the review :)

Beautiful pictures and a great unboxing! (What camera did you use?)

meatandy, BeingIncog and Romain Cudon like this.
  8. Romain Cudon

Thanks! I use a Fujifilm XT1 and the 35mm 2.0 prime lense!

meatandy, Alvie and pa5t1s like this.
  9. pa5t1s
    User of the Year 2014 May 28, 2018

meatandy and Romain Cudon like this.
  10. Romain Cudon

Thanks a lot! We will soon see what the OnePlus 6 can do camera wise but expectations are sure high!

Alvie and pa5t1s like this.
  11. G_Pankaj_Doye_CZvn
    Cupcake Jun 1, 2018

G_Pankaj_Doye_CZvn , Jun 1, 2018 :
    hi, I am Pankaj, I am not able to use parallel space for WhatsApp in oneplus6. pls suggest the way to use it. parallel space app is not working properly in oneplus6.

12. Romain Cudon
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 1, 2018

Romain Cudon , Jun 1, 2018 :
    Hi Pankaj, I am sorry I can't help you, I am not a Parallel Space user. You should try to create a thread in the OnePlus 6 General Support section.

13. G_Pankaj_Doye_CZvn
    Cupcake Jun 4, 2018

14. W1528457017457
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2018

W1528457017457 , Jun 8, 2018 :
    Hi Team
    one plus 6 Volte network & 4g network not showing 80% of time showing H+ after updating the new software .
    please help

15. eleung321
    Gingerbread Jun 12, 2018

AlTeX and Romain Cudon like this.
  16. Romain Cudon
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 12, 2018

17. Ananta kumar sahu
    Cupcake Jun 13, 2018

Ananta kumar sahu , Jun 13, 2018 :
    hello sir,
    I want to know that how I decrease call volume.because at the last state of decrease volume as usual sound loud , which can be heard by me and other person . which feel very uncomfortable.
    plz suggest me what can I do?

Romain Cudon likes this.
  18. Romain Cudon
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 13, 2018

Romain Cudon , Jun 13, 2018 :
    Hi @Ananta kumar sahu I believe that this was part of the last Oxygen OS update 5.1.6, so I don't know if this will be considered as a bug or as a feature ;) but maybe you can find more information in this thread!

Alvie and BeingIncog like this.
  19. aris
    Jelly Bean Jun 14, 2018

aris , Jun 14, 2018 :
    The images are not showing, the links are broken.

Romain Cudon likes this.
  20. Romain Cudon
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 14, 2018

Romain Cudon , Jun 14, 2018 :
    Hey @aris thanks for the heads-up. Images are showing on my side both on mobile and laptop, that's weird!