[The Lab] Smooth in every Context : One Plus 7T Review

1. cchawla.raw
    Eclair Oct 4, 2019

cchawla.raw , Oct 4, 2019 :
    One Plus 7T was announced on September 26th and I just was so happy with the new features and design that was introduced in it. September 28th, I waited for the clock to tick 11 AM and I was at the store to experience the new device. So it's been little over a week with the phone and here is my experience so far:

DSC00230-2.jpg

Unboxing:
    Every time you have to Unbox, you look for a sharp object to make an entry point so that you can rip off that packaging. It’s a little hiccup that kills the little excitement inside the customer for once.
    If you agree with the above statement, Try unboxing the One Plus 7T, I promise it can be done with one hand and no sharp object needed.

The new Red Box clearly tells that One Plus doesn't want only the phone to be amazing so they have worked it all out from the Box itself.

Items Included in Retail Box:
    - The 7T with Android 10.
    - Wrap30T Charger.
    - One Plus Stickers.
    - A Beautiful Message from the CEO.
    - A transparent Silicon Case to get you going.
    - Sim Card Ejector Pin.
    - User Manual.

Figure1:
    DSC09198.jpg

Design:
    The New Design is a 6.55-inch Display which is bigger than One Plus 7's 6.41 inch. Also the new aspect ratio of the phone is 20:9 so anyone with big hands, you will enjoy this device a lot.
    A smaller teardrop notch than one plus 7 is also claimed so more room for those tiny pixels.

This Phone Houses a Volume Rocker on the left and Power Button along with signature One Plus Silence Slider on the right. It includes the same USB C type Charging port beside another speaker and sadly no Headphone jack which is not a surprise any longer. It also has an upward-firing speaker just above the front camera.
    While the front looks very similar to 7 the back is where all of it has changed, so a new round camera bump which we will talk more about in the camera section.

The new colors are eye-catching as well, Glacier Blue and Frosty Silver with Matt Glass is a total new look to the One Plus Series.

Nerd Specs:
    - 6.55 inch Fluid AMOLED at 90hz Refresh Rate.
    - Tear Drop Notch with very thin bezels.
    - 400 PPI.
    - Up to 1000 nits of Brightness making it easier to see in sunlight.
    - HDR 10+ Support.

Camera:
    Ask yourself, how often do you look at the back of your phone?

A lot of discussions are already out with people not liking the new circular design of the camera.
    Being a Passionate Photographer, this pocket powerhouse gives me different options to switch from when taking a photo. While it may be hard to understand but a wide-angle or going up close to subject while shooting makes a lot of difference. Here are some camera samples in the link below which might help you with convincing while words may not:

Sample Shots Album

These are some shots that have been through basic adjustments in Lightroom. I did a trip recently as well and I could rely on this phone camera. The satisfactory results which I got never had me feeling like I need to bring out my DSLR.

I will simply not put this Camera to a comparison with Apple or Pixel Devices.
    Further coming to the video part the Super Stable mode in 1080p does a great job while audio quality is decently recorded as well. I don't record a lot of videos but all my basic testings turned out really well.

New Features:
    - Ultra-Wide Camera
    - Portrait Mode in Telephoto Lens.
    - Macro Mode which allows for your camera to capture as close as 2.5 cm.
    - Electronic + Optical Stabilization for Super Stable Video at 1080p.
    - 4K 60FPS video recording without Super Stabilization is Supported.

Figure 2:
    DSC09199.jpg

Nerd Specs:
    * Rear Cameras:
    - 48MP Primary - 26mm, f/1.6
    - 12MP Telephoto - 51mm, f/2.2 (2x Optical Zoom)
    -16MP Ultra-Wide Lens - 17mm, f/2.2 (117-degree wide view)
    *Front Camera:
    - 16 MP Selfie Camera - 25mm, f/2.2

Cons:
    - The picture which is taken from Wide Angle and Primary camera has White Balance differences and a couple of minor bugs with Highlights and Over Saturated Images being produced. If you use Pro Mode, it won't bother much. However nothing a software update cannot fix.
    - You can only use Primary Camera in the Pro Mode and no other Features are available for use.

Performance/Battery Life:
    The latest Snapdragon Chipset is integrated to power the smooth experience. While it draws more power from the battery but it makes the phone function super-fast.
    You can always charge your phone while playing games or using it. Its claimed that new hardware will keep the phone temperature low. I have not been able to do this test.

In terms of Performance with handling multiple apps, I have not faced any issues and for a new device it may not be that big of a problem but from my previous experiences it has never let me down.
    I have been playing the new game Call of Duty mobile in continuity while switching to WhatsApp, Instagram and I must say the game didn't struggle for a second.
    Also, DOLBY Support on the speaker makes everything interesting, it sounds great while playing games and watching videos.

The Tag Line: 'A days power in half an hour' is practically true and it charges even faster than its predecessors with the WarpCharge30T.

Figure 3:

DSC09200.jpg

The phone has a 3800 MAH battery so I could easily use it for the complete day. If you need it more, drop the refresh rate to 60hz and it can certainly do more for you.
    While one may not want to drop the refresh rate because 90hz is simply amazing, keep that charger with you and it charges dramatically fast. so i started a timer for 15 minutes and put it charge when it was at 12% and it reached 47% which means you have half a day of juice in 15 minutes.

Screenshot_20191015-091130.jpg

Edit: Completed 2 weeks with this phone and the battery has lived as per my expectations, by the office time ends, Here are two screenshots you can refer to, i got about 3.5 to 4 hours of screen usage but i played COD which is a heavy game.

Day Start: 1149905-162ed6158cf6a883bffe7e878b4a2528.jpg Day End: 1150166-728919bae66c30e7c6921b35e3af8310.jpg

Nerd Specs:
    - Snapdragon 855+ Chipset.
    - Adreno 640 GPU.
    - 8GB RAM, 128/256 GB Variant.
    - Dual Sim tray.
    - 3800 MAH battery.

Cons:
    - No wireless charging is supported still, however, I am happy with everything that is offered for the price.
    - No Micro SD Card to expand the storage but 128 GB is a lot of storage to fill.
    - No Official IP ratings while One Plus says the phone is water-resistant.

Oxygen OS:
    One Plus 7T is the first phone which has Android 10 out of the Box. The new Gestures are easy to use and you have an option to switch back at any time to the 3 button setup.
    One Plus has clearly worked hard to make the experience of Oxygen OS pretty smooth and if you have used the previous devices from one plus, this is even faster and has no performance issues currently.

Apart from its blazing performance, the only issue i am facing is with switching from wifi to mobile data is not smooth, once i go out of wifi network, it either won't switch to mobile and i have to switch off wifi or it takes time before it will make that switch. Hopefully, 10.0.4 update should be able to do it.

Further features like Game Space for Gamers, Zen Mode for short breaks and to focus on work, Screen Recording, Video Enhancer for enhancing the watch quality in Oxygen OS shows that One Plus listens to Users Feedback and delivers the new feature which is being most voted by users.

Nerd Spec:
    - Android 10
    - Oxygen OS 10.0.3 is the latest patch with camera image quality enhancements.

Overall, I feel One Plus is delivering durable smartphones to the mid-tier range and are great at taking care of their customers with announcing services like One Plus Care. Building up a great One Plus Community which is active and ready to help around any questions the user might have.

One Plus 7T is available for purchase at:

One Plus Official Website

Locate the One Plus Official Store near you.

Amazon retail Partner website

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019

2. Pastachina
    Eclair Oct 8, 2019

3. cchawla.raw
    Eclair Oct 9, 2019

cchawla.raw , Oct 9, 2019 :
    Thank You so much! Glad you liked it.

Pastachina likes this.
  4. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Oct 9, 2019

BobbyV8_ , Oct 9, 2019 :
    Hey! Good luck,

Review looks more like a read & rewritten specs, would like to see more about real life usage

Starcommander likes this.
  5. cchawla.raw
    Eclair Oct 9, 2019

cchawla.raw , Oct 9, 2019 :
    Thank you Bobby for your feedback, i have tried to keep it Nerdy while i have shared my experiences that i have had in the short amount of time that i used it for.

Steins Peterson likes this.
  6. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Oct 10, 2019

BobbyV8_ , Oct 10, 2019 :
    We all can read the nerdy specs, but through this review you would want us to experience it

7. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Oct 12, 2019

dsmonteiro , Oct 12, 2019 :
    Hey @cchawla.raw,

Great start! Feel free to add more content to your review, like photo samples and your impressions about other areas of the phone.

8. cchawla.raw
    Eclair Oct 13, 2019

cchawla.raw , Oct 13, 2019 :
    Hi Thank you for your comment, i thought once it was live, i shouldn't edit. Would it be ok if i do so?

9. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Oct 13, 2019

dsmonteiro , via OnePlus Community App , Oct 13, 2019 :
    You can add other posts with more info, that's perfectly fine. We can stick your posts to the top.

Also, you can do all the edits you need until the end of the contests.

cchawla.raw likes this.
  10. suraj1595
    Honeycomb Oct 14, 2019

kapilkv likes this.
  11. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Oct 14, 2019

cchawla.raw likes this.
  12. H1548240846556
    Eclair Oct 14, 2019

H1548240846556 , Oct 14, 2019 :
    Hi Everyone
    Suggest me one thing i want to buy new mobile
    which one mobile i have to buy oneplus 7 pro n OnePlus 7t??

13. suraj1595
    Honeycomb Oct 14, 2019

suraj1595 , via OnePlus 6T , Oct 14, 2019 :
    pro

14. H1548240846556
    Eclair Oct 14, 2019

15. suraj1595
    Honeycomb Oct 14, 2019

I feel it's a better deal cause
    1.now it costs lesser
    2. you don't really use macro in real life
    3. it's get the same number of major software updates as 7t
    4. you can buy a bullet wireless in the money you save
    5. no notch

cchawla.raw likes this.
  16. H1548240846556
    Eclair Oct 14, 2019

H1548240846556 , Oct 14, 2019 :
    but oneplus 7t have 8gb ram in 38k and pro have 6 gb ram in 45k

17. suraj1595
    Honeycomb Oct 14, 2019

oh 8gb is must bro, even my 6t has 8gb and it's always half full

Starcommander likes this.
  18. K1570611010299
    Cupcake Oct 14, 2019

19. JelleZon
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Oct 14, 2019

JelleZon , via OnePlus 6T Mirror Black , Oct 14, 2019 :
    great review.
    do u have any stats or screenshots regarding battery life?

I am a little bit confused because I a lot of people say the battery life is worse, and a lot say it's very good.

cchawla.raw likes this.
  20. Chakri_29
    Cupcake Oct 14, 2019

Chakri_29 , Oct 14, 2019 :
    I bought OnePlus 7t a week 5 days ago.....when I open YouTube in landscape mode left side screen is tilting for sometime....what should I do