[The Lab] The Pelican Bullets Wireless Review

1. pelicaano
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 5, 2018

pelicaano , Jun 5, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

And yet we meet again.

It’s been a week since I’ve finished my OnePlus 6 review and today I’ll start reviewing the Bullets Wireless. Once again I can’t start without thanking OnePlus for this opportunity to have them before anyone else and to be able to share my thoughts with all of you, although I must say I’m not an audio expert, I’ll be making this review as a normal user, as most os us are.

So, with no further ado, the Bullets Wireless Pelican Review.

DAY 1 - First impressions

[​IMG]

I don’t know if you remember but I’ve said that OnePlus takes a medal on every unboxing, and this time is no different. The “layer by layer” experience comes back on this one, the first layer it’s a usual white OnePlus box with the little red rectangle on the top with the logo and you are greeted from the outside with a minimalistic-one-line drawing of the Bullets Wireless.

[​IMG]

Then, you separate the top from the bottom and get the image filled in back with the Bullets itself popping out from the box. On the other half there’s a little tab with the Never Settle slogan that you can pull and there are stored two pairs of extra ear hooks and ear tips in different sizes. Beneath that little compartment there’s a silicone soap-like pocket for your bullets, with a type-C cable for charging, that closes with a….. magnet! (We’ll get to the magnet thing…)

[​IMG]

On the other half of the box, there’s another box with the Bullets itself, you pull it out, and there’s a little touch, it’s engraved on the box “Created together with our fans” this is lovely.

[​IMG]

Moving on with the unboxing, as you open this last box, there’s a little tray on the left with the user guide, safety information and the device. As always, details matter, and the Bullets Wireless are wrapped around a soft foam “tray” from where you pop them out and ready to use.

The Bullets Wireless come with a innovative magnetic switch, that I will talk more in the next day review, a lightweight design that goes around your neck and a weather resistance (meaning that it will survive to sweat and rain when you take them out to run or walk). They’re also equipped with the famous OnePlus Fast-Charging that gives you a 5 hours soundtrack with a 10min plug (classic OnePlus).
    But they are not equipped with a L/R letter indicative so you must figure that out… it was a thing for me as I i’m a little be dyslexic, but oh well I’ve that figured out now.

[​IMG]

Performance wise, the Bullets Wireless pack aptX and Bluetooth 4.1 that ensures high-quality audio combined with a large driver unit with Energy Tubes to deliver a superior listening experience. This Energy Tubes allows the stabilization of sounds ensuring a clear output improving the audio experience and providing noise-free, clear and rich sound.

Pairing it with your device is easy peasy lemon squeezy, I am pretty sure you won’t need a guide on this one, specially if you are rolling a OnePlus device, just need to press the button on the Bullets until the led blinks, turn on bluetooth on your phone, then a notification will pop up press OK and you’re ready to roll. On any other device its the same pairing process as in any other wireless earbuds.

[​IMG]

I’ll give you more in depth information regarding my experience with the Bullets Wireless on the coming days reviews. I'm really hoping they live up to the expectations.

Stay tuned on this one, you don’t wanna miss this track.
    Let’s pause it until next review.
    (*Fast-forwarding!*)

2. pelicaano
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 9, 2018

Stickied Post
    pelicaano , Jun 9, 2018 :
    DAY 2 - Convenience

[​IMG]

*Press Play*

Today I’ll talk about the convenience(s) on/of the Bullets Wireless (BW). For me when buying a product like the BW this takes a huge place. First because I ask myself “why should I buy this?”, then “If I buy them, will I use them?” and finally “Ok. I’ve bought it. Are they worth it?” (this last one I’ll leave to my final day review), and all this three questions rely (mostly) on that simple thing: convenience.

Let me start by answering you that first question “Why should I buy this?”. Well, I don’t know for you, but for me, I’d buy a pair of wireless earbuds for when going to the gym, or running or even just for normal day tasks, not have a wire on the way. Also, I should buy if I’m in need of a new pair of earbuds with greater quality of sound or even build. (I’ll also leave the sound part for a specific sound review). And this “not having a wire” thing is up to each person. I’m not a big fan of having a tangling wire all day long stuck on my phone every time I wanna listen to music, although that’s what happens most of the times. Having to plug the cable, untangle the cord, and keep pulling the phone down the table, or down the treadmill because I forget about it, or even having a cord stuck in your arm when running, it’s no fun. At least for me. That’s why wireless earbuds are so convenient, you pair it to you device once, you take them, turn them on and your good to go. No wires. And that’s why I should buy this.

[​IMG]

Now “If I buy them, will I use them”? Well, for all the reasons I’ve mentioned oh the last paragraphs, yeah I will use them. But this always happens to me, I’ll use them everyday, every time, for the first week. Then I start getting tired of having to charge them, because I tend to forgot that a lot, when I arrive from work, or the gym. Or when I need them and they’re empty charged. Or when it’s raining and you don’t wanna take them, fearing it will screw them up. But that’s me. And that’s with normal wireless earbuds.

The Bullets Wireless come with some little convenient tweaks that made me use them everyday and not worry about a thing. Let me tell you all about it:

[​IMG]
    _Fast Charging:
    What I told you it’s true, I always forget to charge my wireless things, be it earbuds, watch, wristband… you name it. And, once I forget once, I tend to keep leaving them on the table and start using wired buds, normal watches etc. But the BW are different, they come equipped with the OnePlus trademark FastCharging that juices up your buds for 5h with just a 10min plug. That is awesome so when you are in a hurry and you forgot to charge them you can plug it while you’re dressing up or taking a shower and it’ll give you power for the whole day. It charges over USB-C which is great. It’s great to see that OnePlus keeps betting on future-proof products, and these are no exception.

[​IMG]
    _Magnetic Controls / Automatic Play / (Automatic Answer)
    The BW pack a magnet on the buds that is what turns them on or off. You just have to separate them in order to power them on and put them together to power them off. I think, no, I’m sure, this is my favorite thing about the BW. It’s one of those things that you don’t care about until you have it. It is really convenient not having to press a button for 3-sec to power them on. You just put them in your ears and you are ready to roll.
    Also, if you are rolling a 5/5T or a 6, you are granted the option to automatically play/pause the music or video you are listening/watching, with just separating or clipping them together. This is gold OnePlus. I really hope all of you could get the change to experiment this feature, it is a really cool addition to what was already a really good product, making them even more unique.
    In the future (for the 5/5T/6, the 6 will get somewhere around June or so), you will be able to answer the call automatically with just separating the buds. This is, also, a great addition and I cannot wait to try it. It stands the expectation for now. If it works as good as the auto-play thing, it will be great.

[​IMG]
    _Weatherproof
    With the Bullets Wireless you don’t have to worry about going for a run while raining, they wont leave you without the perfect soundtrack for you mile. OnePlus claims they’re resistant to sweat and rain, and, because the summer seems to be late here in Porto (PT) mother nature as been rewarding us with some winter-y rainy days. I took them for a few runs and they’ve survived. Well played OnePlus. The BW will make you company season-wide.

[​IMG]
    _Google Assistant
    With a long press on the cord center button you activate Google Assistant (or Siri if you are rollin an iOS device). I’ll be honest with you and say I never used this, unless the time I did to experiment for this review. I’m not an user of personal assistants and voice controls. I find it odd talking to no one in order to get something done. I’d rather do it myself. On top of that Google as not yet released the GA in Portugal so even if I wanted to I couldn’t use, although English is not a problem, it isn’t natural to ask daily things in another language than Portuguese. So, I know many of you use the assistant a lot and in my experience with the Bullets Wireless you will not have any problems, although the volume could be a little bit higher, for my taste.

And that basically wraps it all on the convenience around the Bullets Wireless. As you know, there are a lot of wireless earbuds in the market and you always have to choose just one to carry around with you. When you’re making your choices about these BW take in mind this topics that I’ve mentioned.

*Pause* until next day!
    Don’t skip any track!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018

buntycubal likes this.
  3. pelicaano
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 10, 2018

Stickied Post
    pelicaano , Jun 10, 2018 :
    DAY 3 - Music Quality

*Play*

Well, here we are, in the final track of this soundtrack that it’s been the review of the Bullets Wireless. Today I’m gonna be talking about what probably matters the most for you guys. Although I’m not an “audiophile” at all, I surely can give you my thoughts on the sound quality of these earbuds, despite it is not going to be any technical, it’s rather a “honest”, personal sharing.

I’ve been using the Bullets Wireless for a week now, everyday, wether it’s on a run, bus trips, Netflix and chill on the couch, you name it. And ever they failed to fill up my expectations. The sound on the BW is crisp, clear, in other words: it’s good, not to say great. They’re literally music to my ears. With them I get the whole emotion and thrill trough the music, directly into my ears without knocking my head. And, as some of you you asked, I had no problems with the range of bluetooth, or any kinds of delay between sound and image. The overall experience as been amazing.

The BW are a pleasure to use, they get the sound really isolated, and they will supply you with a delightful ride through your runs , or walks to work on crazy crowded streets. I tell you that because I feel frustrated every time I buy a new pair of earbuds and when I take them to the street, or the subway, I have to push the volume to the maximum and getting judgy looks on everyone (because all the sound passes by to the outside) and still I cannot hear my music properly.

I think that’s it folks. I recommend you to read all my fellow squad reviews, and also check the blind test vid, to help you satisfy all your doubts you might (still) have about grabbin’ a pair of these.
    In a way of conclusion I wanna sum up some of the points that might help you decide:

_Cons:

Pocket can be too small for the buds.
    Highs can be a little to much on a quiet ambient.
    The wires could get a little bit of work design-wise.

_Pros:

Fast Charging
    Magnetic controls are innovative and work superbly
    Engaging sound quality
    Great, durable, comfort design (situation-wise)

All that being said, the Bullets Wireless are, definitely, the sound you need, when you need.

Well mates, once again, that’s it for me. It’s been a hell of a ride being part of this LAB reviewers squad. It’s been amazing getting to know this squad, this company, this community. I hope I fulfilled all the expectations, and I hope I keep fulfilling. Keep asking, keep discussing this amazing products to help build (even) better ones in the future. Remember, they’re created together with its fans.

Never Settle.

This was, once again, the Pelican.
    Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

*Stop*

buntycubal and johneebee like this.
  4. PrashantPatil_Oneplus5
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2018

PrashantPatil_Oneplus5 , Jun 6, 2018 :
    please let us know if it can connect to two devices
    the multipoint feature

In the case of simple multipoint, a Bluetoothheadset is connected to two separatedevices at the same time. When one of them rings, the headset knows which one it is. So when you answer the call, the headset will automatically stream it from the rightdevice

pelicaano likes this.
  5. Martin_VN
    Honeycomb Jun 6, 2018

pelicaano likes this.
  6. gcao2012
    Eclair Jun 6, 2018

7. Sebilion
    Donut Jun 6, 2018

8. pelicaano
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jun 6, 2018

pelicaano , Jun 6, 2018 :
    hey I'll try that out and let you know !

9. pelicaano

hey there ! this review is all based on my experience and is how I express my thought about this product, if you want me to cover something more , any suggestions, please let me know what . cheers!

buntycubal, Romain Cudon and gcao2012 like this.
  10. pelicaano

hi there ! I do not own the wired bullets so I cannot make this comparison, tho with my wired earbuds i feel that the BW have a lot more quality and clear sound

Sebilion likes this.
  11. gcao2012
    Eclair Jun 6, 2018

gcao2012 , Jun 6, 2018 :
    haha just kidding my man!

pelicaano likes this.
  12. gcao2012
    Eclair Jun 6, 2018

pelicaano likes this.
  13. pelicaano

hope you get yours soon then ! until then stay tuned [e]1f44d[/e] be free to ask anything!

14. shadynit
    Froyo Jun 7, 2018

15. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 7, 2018

elanglois , Jun 7, 2018 :
    Why would you need this?

16. PrashantPatil_Oneplus5
    Cupcake Jun 7, 2018

PrashantPatil_Oneplus5 , Jun 7, 2018 :
    simple i would need this feature for using 2 different smartphone's specifically while hands are busy in work or driving

17. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 7, 2018

Your phone has dual SIMs. You need TWO phones???

And you know it's illegal to wear headphones while driving? If not illegal in your country, it's at least irresponsible

18. PrashantPatil_Oneplus5
    Cupcake Jun 7, 2018

elanglois

Your phone has dual SIMs. You need TWO phones???

And you know it's illegal to wear headphones while driving? If not illegal in your country, it's at least irresponsible​

I am right now at abroad location so I have total 3 Sims thus I have 2 mobile's, also not only driving even while working it helps to simply answer the call between two different phone's that's really useful feature i am wondering why would one plus team missed to add this one

19. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 7, 2018

Not sure if it's "missed". Look at how many people need the feature. Now ask yourself his many Bluetooth chips support that feature and at what price and current draw.

The goals are sound quality, low price, and long battery. Changing to a chip that supports what you want may not align with those goals.

20. PrashantPatil_Oneplus5
    Cupcake Jun 7, 2018

it's different view altogether but even if check wireless headphones as low as axiom priced around 30 USD have this feature, but as you said sound quality and long battery life (battery life need not be alarming factor as it has dash charge)

still it's an excellent product, but right now I would be postponing the bullets wireless purchase, surely will add them once they have this feature,

21. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 7, 2018

22. EDIflyer
    Gingerbread Jun 9, 2018

EDIflyer , Jun 9, 2018 :
    A more common usage scenario for dual Bluetooth is perhaps to be listing to audio from your tablet (perhaps watching a film) but wanting your phone connected too so you could answer a call, or the scenario where you regularly switch between using the headphones with a tablet and a phone and don't want to have to re-pair with each one every time. This latter scenario wouldn't mean any battery impact as you wouldn't be connecting to both simultaneously but would be very useful - I'm not sure if this non-simultaneous ability is supported by the Bullets or whether they require re-pairing every time.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018