[The Lab] The Pelican OnePlus 6 Review

1. pelicaano The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 22, 2018

pelicaano, May 22, 2018 :
    First things first, I'd like to thank OnePlus for this opportunity to share all my thoughts with all the community and try and make this an even better company. I am super excited to be one of this squad. Make sure you also get to read my colleagues reviews. So, let's do it.

DAY 1 - Unboxing

[​IMG]
    Unboxing is already a satisfying word just by itself. Your mind goes straight up to that moment when you sit on a table and start wrapping out that plastic from the box, and start taking things out, layer by layer, until that climax when you peel out that plastic from the back. There’s always a “but”, not all unboxings are the same, but OnePlus takes a medal on this field.

[​IMG]
    It all starts with that minimalistic white and red box that we’re used to and it’s to pleasing to look at. The magic happens when you lift the top out and the device is unveiled (*heavy breathing*).

[​IMG]
    Details matter and OnePlus checks all the boxes, the top is covered in a soft padding so the device is safe during shipping; the device itself lays is a red hard plastic tray and another satisfying moment happens when you “click” the phone out of it (I’m happy to see that the device still comes with a pre-applied screen protector, it’s a nice touch); as soon as you do that a “6” shows up just in the middle of the cutout greeting you and asking you to pull that little tray out.

[​IMG]
    Beneath that red tray lays the well-known OnePlus Fast Charger and also the super stylish red cable (yes, as soon as you take this cable out in public everyone will feel a little bit of jealousy and want one). They’re both, still, the super high quality accessories you are expecting from a OnePlus device.

[​IMG]

Inside the little tray there’s a case (!), and inside of the case there’s a little cardbox with all the safety and quick-start guides and the SIM ejector tool. Well that’s IKEA level boxing here! (But better looking).
    Oh sorry, yes, of course there’s some dope OnePlus stickers!

[​IMG]
    It’s nice to see that OnePlus kept included a case. Certainly not the most high-end case but it’s definitely one of, if not The best one, that comes included with smartphones. It’s a grey-ish clear plastic case with a nice matte finish on the sides which gives that little touch of design and also a better grip. The case also has extended corners to protect the front and as a small lip all around.

[​IMG]

And that basically sums up the unboxing experience, layer after layer, you go unveiling a new exciting item always different from what you are used to. Well done OnePlus.

I can now move on to the last, but definitely not least, most satisfying part of this unboxing, remove the plastics (*heavy breathing part II*), turn on the phone and start this experience. Ready to come with me?​

Last edited: May 28, 2018

2. pelicaano The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 23, 2018

Stickied Post
    pelicaano, May 23, 2018 :
    DAY 2 - Design

New day, new topic. Let’s get down to the new 6’s design.

[​IMG]

This is a fresh start for OnePlus’s design language, and you can see right away that this is another step up from previous devices. The OnePlus 6 is slightly bigger than the 5T but you can’t almost notice the difference by eye. But when you grab it in your hands, man, that’s a difference.

[​IMG]

Let me start by stating that this is a beautiful piece of design. The new glass and metal “sandwich” body feels amazing to the hand. It’s nice to see that OnePlus is back to differential designs, where you can see right away that this is a OnePlus device. This is worked out close to perfection. I feel bad about putting this phone on a case because this mirror black finish looks amazing. But, there’s always one, yes, this is a fingerprint magnet, and so you will find yourself dressing it up with one of OnePlus cases anyway if you don’t want to be cleaning it all the time. (Spoiler: I’ll use the red silicone one. That red+black combination heavy breathing = perfection to my eyes. Although the new black nylon one is so dope that I think I’ll be using one each day.)

[​IMG]

The way that the glass meets seamlessly and rounds up on the edges looks and feels great and you can’t almost notice where one ends and the other starts. On this edges you’ll find the volume rocker and the SIM-card tray on the left and, on the right edge, the power button and the OnePlus’s trademark alert-slider that now has moved to this side. This slider is something that, once you get it, you cannot live without and I cannot understand how this is not a thing among Android devices.

[​IMG]

On the bottom edge you will find the USB-C charging port, the speaker grill and of course, the 3.5mm jack. Thank you OnePlus. I know we are on the wireless era and it is all super nice not to have wires and so on, but I find myself using wired headphones all the time, and even if i didn’t, why not include the jack? Well done.

[​IMG]

On the front of the device you can see a bigger display with the so-known notch. I was not a big fan on notches, but it has grown on me and now, to be honest, I don’t care. For me it is like having a normal bezel, but better because you gain more screen real-estate. And let me tell you, this is a gorgeous display. I’m one of those you would make all manufactures use AMOLED displays. The pure and deep blacks and the strong and saturated colors look perfect on the OnePlus 6. This all goes down to a matter of tastes but one thing is certain, you will not be disappointed with this screen.

[​IMG]

Moving on to the back. Now this is what I’m talking about OnePlus. The symmetry… Man, this symmetry. There’s not much things I can say about this. It looks great. The fingerprint scanner, the cameras and the OnePlus logo, meet on the centre of the device and the “Design by OnePlus” text finishes it all. (Nice little touch friends!)

[​IMG]

I’ll end today’s review picking up this “Designed by OnePlus” phrase: this is why I chose to be part of this community, and use this devices. It’s because of design choices like this that makes a phone great to use and makes the whole experience feel unique. From the moment that you open up the box, as we saw yesterday, to the moment you move to the next generation device and the whole experience starts all over again.

See you tomorrow guys.​

Crystal Z., aris, Jacob_DK and 7 others like this.
  3. pelicaano The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 24, 2018

Stickied Post
    pelicaano, May 24, 2018 :
    DAY 3 - Speed

[​IMG]

Speed reviews can be all about the same: benchmarks. But after all, how many times will you check on them while you are using your phone? Probably once. To be honest I never check. For me the speed is not measured by numbers, graphics or app tests. For me the speed is about daily use. It’s about the time you spend on your phone and the performance it has.

The speed on the OnePlus starts right away when you need to unlock your phone. The FaceUnlock or the fingerprint scanner are both lightning fast and they are both super effective ways to unlock your device.

[​IMG]

And it all flows seamlessly throughout the system from scrolling on internet to editing photos on Lightroom. After all this device has top shelf hardware, it’s almost as if you are carrying a mini computer in your pocket. Keeping apps on background, multi-screening, you name it, just throw on it and it will not break. The Octa-core CPU will not let you down, nor will the 8GB of RAM (or the 6GB version).

Of course you can count on your OnePlus 6 to run all games you want, the Adreno 630 GPU will take care of that and will make your games run smoothly and break-free. Also, for me, as a photographer it handles all edition apps with no problem, be it in high-resolution RAW images or just usual snaps. (As well, the camera app snaps your pictures in a blink.)

[​IMG]

The speed on the OnePlus 6 only ends when the phone shuts down. And not even that is a problem. The 3.300mAh are more than enough to get you through the day (or more). In my personal experience I get an average of 4 to 5 hours of screen-on-time use. Not being worried about getting my phone charged during the day is freedom. But, if by any reason it happens (I highly doubt it), you can always plug it with your Fast Charger that is insanely fast and it gets your OnePlus6 fully juiced up in a blink.

[​IMG]

All in all the OnePlus is definitely the speed you need.

Jacob_DK, meatandy, GopalB. and 3 others like this.
  4. pelicaano The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 27, 2018

Stickied Post
    pelicaano, May 27, 2018 :
    DAY 4 - Camera

It’s been already five days since I’ve unbox this phone and started using it. Today’s topic is all you’ve been waiting for: camera(s).

(All comparisons are with OnePlus 6 on the left and the OnePlus 5T on the right.)

[​IMG]

As an amateur photographer the cameras are probably the most important thing on a phone for me. It all comes down to the quality of the pictures and the ease of use. On a daily basis I almost never carry my main photograph equipment, so I need to have something on my pocket that is capable of doing the job when I need it during the day.

[​IMG]

Talking about specs, the OnePlus 6 has two rear cameras powered by Sony sensors: the main has now both OIS and EIS with 16MP, f/1.7 and a 1.22µm pixel size, and the secondary 20MP also with f/1.7 and a 1.0µm pixel size. The 6 records 4K and 1080p at both 30 and 60fps, 720p at 30fps, slow motion 1080p at 240fps is now also capable of recording super slow-mo 720p videos at 480fps.

Having OIS for me (‘cause I’m a real shaker) it’s the main thing on this setup. I currently own a OnePlus 5T and it really was a bummer changing from a device with OIS (Samsung Galaxy S6) to the 5T. It really makes a difference not only on the stabilization of videos but mainly, in my opinion, on low-light shots (and even on normal snaps). Although the 5T takes amazing shots you can really notice the difference and it can’t compete with more expensive devices.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Portrait Mode On)

The OnePlus 6 takes sharper pictures with a better balance of colors and it handles better the whites, this is also thanks to the bigger pixels which can absorve more light. Low-light shots are so much improved thanks again to the OIS, EIS but also the secondary camera that is a regular sensor (whereas in other phones you get a wide angle or telephoto) that helps in extreme dark conditions. On the front of the device you now get a 16MP camera with EIS which is great for a perfect selfie. And it definitely gets the job done.

[​IMG]

Onto the camera app there’s not much I can say. Snappier, simple, intuitive. It is definitely one of the best camera apps I’ve used on a smartphone and it is lightning quick. You just have to swipe up to get into the different modes and you get another couple options on the top of the device such as HDR or flash on/off. The pro mode is really nice and, again, super easy to use and gets you trough all the options as aperture, ISO, white balance… it takes super great looking snaps in a blink with no effort (and you can also turn on the option to snap a picture as soon as you open the app with a button shortcut).

[​IMG]

On the whole, the OnePlus 6 camera setup is a great one. It takes stunning shots with a super well designed app both rear and front setups. In my opinion, it still isn’t on the level of more expensive phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S9, the Pixel 2 or the Huawei P20, but you have to keep in mind that you are paying a lot less than what you would pay for one of those devices, and still you get a great setup that takes stunning pictures with no effort.

[​IMG]

Using this camera this last days as my on-the-go photography device it was always up to the stakes. During daylight it is just a pleasure to use, it takes sharp, well exposed, with a great white balance and amazing range of colors. And if you add the Pro Mode you are on control of everything with a histogram and a level status bar, it gives you all the tools for the perfect shot.

You will not be disappointed on this one, definitely. (Specially with a constant reminder of its price tag.)

Meet me tomorrow for the last topic before the final roundup!

Last edited: May 27, 2018

5. pelicaano The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 27, 2018

Stickied Post
    pelicaano, May 27, 2018 :
    DAY 5 - OxygenOS

Today is all about software and OnePlus devices are well known for its simple, modern and clean approach on Android. Let’s talk about OxygenOS.

[​IMG]

OxygenOS is a near to stock Android software that gives you all the weapons to personalize the phone to your taste while keeping you safe from all that bloatware and duplicated apps like most of the other Android skins. I’m one of those who like to keep it simple, minimalistic and functional, trying to keep my home screen with only the necessary info and icons, with just what I need on a daily basis.

It also gives you all the options like change icons packs on the launcher, adding useful gestures with the screen turned off, personalized taps on buttons and a dark theme, yes you’ve heard it right, a dark theme, with the option to choose the color accent from a 8 color palette. Design wise, I love all the “geometric” minimalistic language on OxygenOS, but I think it could use some work on how it handles the notch specially on the status bar, but hopefully on Android P or even before on some OxygenOS updates (that are regular) this "problems" will be fixed.

[​IMG]

Since the 5T, OnePlus has added a Gaming and a Reading mode to the OxygenOS, both super useful tweaks that makes the whole experience a lot better. The gaming mode turns off the notifications while you’re playing so you are not distracted by anything and algo it now has a “network boost” that limits other apps network usage to give you “the speed you need” on your games. The reading mode turns your OnePlus on a “Kindle-like” device with a monochromatic screen that is a lot more pleasant to read long articles or books. Both modes have the ability to be turned on automatically as soon as you open a certain app.

OnePlus has went for a gesture-based interface (optional, by default you get the usual android three-button setup) on the last versions of OxygenOS. It gives you the opportunity to use all your screen real estate from top to bottom which is great, specially on this new almost bezel-less display. Although I use the gestures daily and since OnePlus has rolled them out on the 5T, I think they could still use some work to be even more intuitive and work even better with all apps. I found myself clicking things sometimes while swiping back/home. With that being said, they work well and I’m happy to see that OnePlus was one, if not the first to add gesture navigation on an Android device. Another gesture that I love was the swipe down on the fingerprint scanner to show notifications but OnePlus has removed it on the OP6 I'm really hoping that it will come back on a short update.

[​IMG]

In the long run, OxygenOS is, in my opinion, the best Android skin on any device, even better than stock because it gives you all those little things and tweaks and that makes the whole experience more intuitive, easy and fluid. Mix all that with the speediest performance of the OnePlus 6 and what you get is an incredible user experience.

And that’s it for today guys. Tomorrow will fly to the last destination of this flight and sum up all the topics. Join me?

Last edited: May 28, 2018

6. pelicaano The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 28, 2018

Stickied Post
    pelicaano, May 28, 2018 :
    DAY 6 - Conclusion

[​IMG]

Whoa! It’s been seven days already? Time flies and so did we on this LAB squad. Let’s head to the last topic and make a summary of everything we’ve seen on the past few days.

To sum up everything I’ll make a pros and cons list:

Cons:

Lack of stereo speakers_
    The speaker on the OnePlus 6 is ok. But that’s it. It’s a normal speaker with some distortion on extreme highs and no deep bass, also, it’s in a really easy to cover position, specially on landscape mode.

No expandable storage_
    It's nice to have a dual-SIM tray and being able to use multiple carriers, but it would be even nicer to have an expandable memory tray for microSD.

No wireless charging_
    It's a big bummer not having wireless charging, specially now that OnePlus opted for a glass back design. It would have been a nice addition.

Not official water resistance_
    If you are to put any type of resistance you might as well make it official or else we’re here without knowing what to expect. Although OnePlus claims it is resistant to daily splashes, it would have been nice to see an IP rating on this flagship.

1080p display_
    This is both a con and a pro. Let me explain: it would be nice to see a 2K or better display on the OP6, specially if you are into VR things, but also to have a crispier looking display; but, the pro side is that with is 1080p display you’ll get an astonishing battery life.

Pros:

Battery life / Fast Charging_
    To pick up where I left the cons list, the battery life on the OnePlus 6 is amazing. I get an average of 5h of SOT. That’s due to the 1080p display and the combination of the efficiency of the 845 processor. That combined with the OnePlus signature Fast Charging gives you one amazing battery life and charging combination. This charging technology is really amazing, you just have to plug it in for 30mins before you need it and you’ll get enough juice for the day.

OxygenOS_
    A close-to-stock Android experience but with some neat and useful tweaks that makes the overall usage a lot more fluid, intuitive and pleasant. Combine that with the astonishing performance of the 6 and man, there’s no pixels you’ll miss (cofcof).

AMOLED display:
    There’s nothing like an AMOLED display with its pure deep blacks and its beautiful colors, mix it with this amazing screen real estate of the 6 and it’s a gift to the eyes, while also helping with battery. 84% screen-to-body-ratio, but 100% pleasure to look and use.

OIS_
    It’s great to see that OnePlus listens to its community and brought back the OIS on the 6. It provides you with the ability of taking even better shots and turns the overall camera experience a lot better.

Price_
    I’ve left this for the end because, yes, you need to keep in mind that this is a flagship-like device with a “small” (smaller that other flagships on the market with which the OP6 competes) price tag and still offers with a flagship experience.

I couldn’t continue without praising the new design language on the OnePlus, I really love the new glass-sandwich look, the mirror black finish and also the symmetry on the back (even though the fingerprint magnet that it is). Well done on this one.

And that’s it. Now, the question you all want to see answered: Would I recommend it?
    Definitely. The OnePlus 6 is an amazing device that keeps competing with all the highest end flagships on the markets with a competitive price tag. It has a renewed design language, top shelf specs and and amazing overall performance. Of course it has its downs and lacks somethings. But, which device doesn’t? There’s not such thing as the perfect device, but the OnePlus 6, if a little bit worked, could be real close to it, in my opinion.
    Although it’s an amazing device, if you are currently using some device like the 5T or equivalent, I wouldn’t recommend you to trade for the 6, I think you are well served with a device like the 5T and there are not enought trade-offs for the 6. But if you are rolling a OP5 or anything in the 2016’s bezel world and you wanna catch up the smartphone trend with an amazing performance and a great looking unique device, the 6 is the phone to get.

My experience has been amazing with the 6 and I’m sure it will continue to be. Although all its cons, they're absolutely not a deal-breaker. This one won’t definitely settle for a couple(+) years.

[​IMG]

This post concludes my journey on the LAB reviewer squad, but I don’t wanna leave without saying a couple words:

I’ve been granted this amazing opportunity to review the OnePlus 6 and have it to share with you all and I couldn’t be any happier and thankful! It’s been amazing experiencing this device and share all my thoughts with the community, read all your comments and answering you. I really hope you’ve enjoyed as much as I did and continue asking questions about the new flagship, cause I’ll be happy to answer them. Also a big shoutout to my fellow reviewers on the squad which made this flight a lot more fun, enjoyable and interesting, with all of them sharing great content and thoughts.

Once again and to finish it up, thank you OnePlus, thank you guys. We’ll see each other around.

This was the Pelican review.
    Thank you for flying with me.

Last edited: May 29, 2018

7. kaghedo Jelly Bean May 22, 2018

kaghedo, May 22, 2018 :
    Is this your first OP phone?

superplus, dcmcc24 and pelicaano like this.
  8. Alvie The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer May 22, 2018

Alvie, May 22, 2018 :
    Everyone here has amazing pictures!
    What are you going to use your stickers for?

9. pelicaano The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 22, 2018

10. pelicaano The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 22, 2018

ahahah probably on my MacBook

11. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow May 22, 2018

idkwhoiam322, May 22, 2018 :
    But it already has a 1+ logo! Oh wait, that's an apple :p
    Great pics duud! Can't wait for the rest :)
    Do you also plan on trying android P on your phone? :D

G_plusone and dcmcc24 like this.
  12. pelicaano The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 22, 2018

thank you so much !! stay tuned !!
    I think I'm going to stay with the original ROM

13. GopalB. Marshmallow May 22, 2018

GopalB., May 22, 2018 :
    #NotShotOnOnePlus... :p:D

malidan, dcmcc24 and Alvie like this.
  14. marinobiagio Jelly Bean May 22, 2018

G_plusone and dcmcc24 like this.
  15. pelicaano The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 22, 2018

thanks mate !

dcmcc24 and marinobiagio like this.
  16. marinobiagio Jelly Bean May 22, 2018

dcmcc24 likes this.
  17. pelicaano The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 22, 2018

I think I have to say the red one ! the combination with the back is mesmerising. although the nylon is pretty dope too

superplus and marinobiagio like this.
  18. dcmcc24 KitKat May 22, 2018

superplus and pelicaano like this.
  19. marinobiagio Jelly Bean May 22, 2018

marinobiagio, May 22, 2018 :
    I agree! The red one seems also very slim.. but wil not cover all the device.. I think I'll go for the nylon one ;) Thanks @pelicaano

pelicaano likes this.
  20. Djordje D Froyo May 22, 2018

pelicaano likes this.
  21. pelicaano The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 22, 2018

yeah that's the only downside of that case. but it covers it all pretty well

marinobiagio likes this.
  22. pelicaano The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 22, 2018

thanks !! [e]1f64c[/e]

23. superplus English POC Assistant Head Moderator May 22, 2018

superplus, May 22, 2018 :
    Off to a great start! Agreed with the rest, great pics too :D Looking forward to the rest

meatandy and pelicaano like this.
  24. pelicaano The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 22, 2018

thank you thank you! stay tuned !!

superplus likes this.