[The Lab] The Pelican OnePlus 6 Review

1. Terryruiz
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 23, 2018

Terryruiz , May 23, 2018 :
    Design: They copied the iPhone notch design to get a 83.8% screen to body ratio as compared to 80% of 5T. But because of the notch the viewing area would actually be lesser when watching videos. So other than looking like a iPhone clone it doesn’t really serve any purpose.

Build: OP6 has a glass back as against all metal build of 5T. But it doesn’t offer Wireless charging. What ??!! Why go for a glass back then, just because you want to copy Apple or Samsung? You are not only making the phone heavier but also making it more fragile. No, Gorilla glass 5 will not save your phone if you happen to drop it.

Cameras: OP6 now has dual vertical cameras(credit goes to Apple again). Front camera is the same as 5T. In one of the rear cameras they are using a newer 16mp Sony sensor with OIS. So this would in theory result in better stills and smoother videos.

Internals: So yes the processor and GPU have been upgraded to the latest by Qualcomm. But I don’t see it as an upgrade as OP 5T was already fast enough to handle anything you would throw at it. It will only make those people happy who like to run benchmarks and compare their scores with others and then be happy that their phone scored a few thousand extra. Yay!!

Price: So till now we have seen that except for a minor upgrade in camera nothing else has been upgraded from 5T. In fact I would consider a glass back(without wireless charging) and a notch design a downgrade. Then why the hell has One Plus increased the price of OP6 only six months after it launched the 5T??

They are dangerously close to the territory of Samsung and Apple yet their phone still doesn’t have an IP rating. They are still using FHDscreens. They are blatantly copying Apple and Samsung every year. Which other company launches a flagship after every six months and still get away with it. It is because almost all famous Youtubers have nothing but good things to say about Oneplus and the fanboys cannot bear to hear a single word against OP. Oneplus One was the best phone they ever launched but now with the launch of OP6 the company has fallen for its own hype.

So all in all I would say that OP6 is probably the most disappointing phone from Oneplus yet.

G_plusone and pelicaano like this.
  2. marinobiagio
    KitKat May 23, 2018

pelicaano likes this.
  3. Boss_18
    Froyo May 23, 2018

The_Unkown likes this.
  4. pelicaano
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 23, 2018

pelicaano , May 23, 2018 :
    I get your point , but not everything has to be about copying one or another. all phones are starting to look alike, and that doesn't have to be a bad thing. one day all phones will be bezelless and what will we say? one copied another ? no. that's just how things are.. but this is just my point of view.

5. Terryruiz

I just listen to People on here saying cost cost got to be low but if you buy new OnePlus phone every year you can afford to pay a bit more for a better OnePlus phone not leave stuff off

G_plusone and pelicaano like this.
  6. Terryruiz

I don't agree if you can pay 569 for a OnePlus 6 phone with stuff left off and renew every year you can afford to pay 700 for a OnePlus that has it all

7. Terryruiz

G_plusone likes this.
  8. Terryruiz

9. meatandy
    Oreo May 23, 2018

meatandy , May 23, 2018 :
    Nice work and great pictures.

pelicaano likes this.
  10. pelicaano

meatandy likes this.
  11. G_James_Jones_IQsB
    Cupcake May 23, 2018

pelicaano likes this.
  12. pelicaano

pelicaano , May 23, 2018 :
    glad to here that ! stay tuned !!

13. pelicaano
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 24, 2018

Stickied Post
    pelicaano , May 24, 2018 :
    DAY 3 - Speed

[​IMG]

Speed reviews can be all about the same: benchmarks. But after all, how many times will you check on them while you are using your phone? Probably once. To be honest I never check. For me the speed is not measured by numbers, graphics or app tests. For me the speed is about daily use. It’s about the time you spend on your phone and the performance it has.

The speed on the OnePlus starts right away when you need to unlock your phone. The FaceUnlock or the fingerprint scanner are both lightning fast and they are both super effective ways to unlock your device.

[​IMG]

And it all flows seamlessly throughout the system from scrolling on internet to editing photos on Lightroom. After all this device has top shelf hardware, it’s almost as if you are carrying a mini computer in your pocket. Keeping apps on background, multi-screening, you name it, just throw on it and it will not break. The Octa-core CPU will not let you down, nor will the 8GB of RAM (or the 6GB version).

Of course you can count on your OnePlus 6 to run all games you want, the Adreno 630 GPU will take care of that and will make your games run smoothly and break-free. Also, for me, as a photographer it handles all edition apps with no problem, be it in high-resolution RAW images or just usual snaps. (As well, the camera app snaps your pictures in a blink.)

[​IMG]

The speed on the OnePlus 6 only ends when the phone shuts down. And not even that is a problem. The 3.300mAh are more than enough to get you through the day (or more). In my personal experience I get an average of 4 to 5 hours of screen-on-time use. Not being worried about getting my phone charged during the day is freedom. But, if by any reason it happens (I highly doubt it), you can always plug it with your Fast Charger that is insanely fast and it gets your OnePlus6 fully juiced up in a blink.

[​IMG]

All in all the OnePlus is definitely the speed you need.

Jacob_DK, meatandy, GopalB. and 3 others like this.
  14. Terryruiz
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 24, 2018

15. Joel B
    Honeycomb May 25, 2018

pelicaano likes this.
  16. pelicaano
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 25, 2018

pelicaano , May 25, 2018 :
    hi Joel ! this review is all about my experience with the OnePlus 6 and I only share my thoughts about it, until now, there's nothing negative I can find on the device. stay tuned to find out more about it!

Joel B likes this.
  17. pelicaano
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 27, 2018

Stickied Post
    pelicaano , May 27, 2018 :
    DAY 4 - Camera

It’s been already five days since I’ve unbox this phone and started using it. Today’s topic is all you’ve been waiting for: camera(s).

(All comparisons are with OnePlus 6 on the left and the OnePlus 5T on the right.)

[​IMG]

As an amateur photographer the cameras are probably the most important thing on a phone for me. It all comes down to the quality of the pictures and the ease of use. On a daily basis I almost never carry my main photograph equipment, so I need to have something on my pocket that is capable of doing the job when I need it during the day.

[​IMG]

Talking about specs, the OnePlus 6 has two rear cameras powered by Sony sensors: the main has now both OIS and EIS with 16MP, f/1.7 and a 1.22µm pixel size, and the secondary 20MP also with f/1.7 and a 1.0µm pixel size. The 6 records 4K and 1080p at both 30 and 60fps, 720p at 30fps, slow motion 1080p at 240fps is now also capable of recording super slow-mo 720p videos at 480fps.

Having OIS for me (‘cause I’m a real shaker) it’s the main thing on this setup. I currently own a OnePlus 5T and it really was a bummer changing from a device with OIS (Samsung Galaxy S6) to the 5T. It really makes a difference not only on the stabilization of videos but mainly, in my opinion, on low-light shots (and even on normal snaps). Although the 5T takes amazing shots you can really notice the difference and it can’t compete with more expensive devices.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Portrait Mode On)

The OnePlus 6 takes sharper pictures with a better balance of colors and it handles better the whites, this is also thanks to the bigger pixels which can absorve more light. Low-light shots are so much improved thanks again to the OIS, EIS but also the secondary camera that is a regular sensor (whereas in other phones you get a wide angle or telephoto) that helps in extreme dark conditions. On the front of the device you now get a 16MP camera with EIS which is great for a perfect selfie. And it definitely gets the job done.

[​IMG]

Onto the camera app there’s not much I can say. Snappier, simple, intuitive. It is definitely one of the best camera apps I’ve used on a smartphone and it is lightning quick. You just have to swipe up to get into the different modes and you get another couple options on the top of the device such as HDR or flash on/off. The pro mode is really nice and, again, super easy to use and gets you trough all the options as aperture, ISO, white balance… it takes super great looking snaps in a blink with no effort (and you can also turn on the option to snap a picture as soon as you open the app with a button shortcut).

[​IMG]

On the whole, the OnePlus 6 camera setup is a great one. It takes stunning shots with a super well designed app both rear and front setups. In my opinion, it still isn’t on the level of more expensive phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S9, the Pixel 2 or the Huawei P20, but you have to keep in mind that you are paying a lot less than what you would pay for one of those devices, and still you get a great setup that takes stunning pictures with no effort.

[​IMG]

Using this camera this last days as my on-the-go photography device it was always up to the stakes. During daylight it is just a pleasure to use, it takes sharp, well exposed, with a great white balance and amazing range of colors. And if you add the Pro Mode you are on control of everything with a histogram and a level status bar, it gives you all the tools for the perfect shot.

You will not be disappointed on this one, definitely. (Specially with a constant reminder of its price tag.)

Meet me tomorrow for the last topic before the final roundup!

Last edited: May 27, 2018

18. pelicaano

Stickied Post
    DAY 5 - OxygenOS

Today is all about software and OnePlus devices are well known for its simple, modern and clean approach on Android. Let’s talk about OxygenOS.

[​IMG]

OxygenOS is a near to stock Android software that gives you all the weapons to personalize the phone to your taste while keeping you safe from all that bloatware and duplicated apps like most of the other Android skins. I’m one of those who like to keep it simple, minimalistic and functional, trying to keep my home screen with only the necessary info and icons, with just what I need on a daily basis.

It also gives you all the options like change icons packs on the launcher, adding useful gestures with the screen turned off, personalized taps on buttons and a dark theme, yes you’ve heard it right, a dark theme, with the option to choose the color accent from a 8 color palette. Design wise, I love all the “geometric” minimalistic language on OxygenOS, but I think it could use some work on how it handles the notch specially on the status bar, but hopefully on Android P or even before on some OxygenOS updates (that are regular) this "problems" will be fixed.

[​IMG]

Since the 5T, OnePlus has added a Gaming and a Reading mode to the OxygenOS, both super useful tweaks that makes the whole experience a lot better. The gaming mode turns off the notifications while you’re playing so you are not distracted by anything and algo it now has a “network boost” that limits other apps network usage to give you “the speed you need” on your games. The reading mode turns your OnePlus on a “Kindle-like” device with a monochromatic screen that is a lot more pleasant to read long articles or books. Both modes have the ability to be turned on automatically as soon as you open a certain app.

OnePlus has went for a gesture-based interface (optional, by default you get the usual android three-button setup) on the last versions of OxygenOS. It gives you the opportunity to use all your screen real estate from top to bottom which is great, specially on this new almost bezel-less display. Although I use the gestures daily and since OnePlus has rolled them out on the 5T, I think they could still use some work to be even more intuitive and work even better with all apps. I found myself clicking things sometimes while swiping back/home. With that being said, they work well and I’m happy to see that OnePlus was one, if not the first to add gesture navigation on an Android device. Another gesture that I love was the swipe down on the fingerprint scanner to show notifications but OnePlus has removed it on the OP6 I'm really hoping that it will come back on a short update.

[​IMG]

In the long run, OxygenOS is, in my opinion, the best Android skin on any device, even better than stock because it gives you all those little things and tweaks and that makes the whole experience more intuitive, easy and fluid. Mix all that with the speediest performance of the OnePlus 6 and what you get is an incredible user experience.

And that’s it for today guys. Tomorrow will fly to the last destination of this flight and sum up all the topics. Join me?

Last edited: May 28, 2018

19. rockrahul
    Eclair May 27, 2018

rockrahul , May 27, 2018 :
    Good review.

One thing I have noticed with comparisons to 5T in camera. Although 6 seems to be better overall and slightly sharper photos the colors are bit muted compared to 5T.
    5T pictures look more punchy and pop.

20. pelicaano

Thanks mate !
    Yes, although the 6 colors are a lot more close to reality.