[The Lab] TheGadgetGirl's Experiments with the OnePlus 8T 5G

1. TheGadgetGirl
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Oct 23, 2020

TheGadgetGirl , Oct 23, 2020 :
    HelloWorld.png
    ....so, I've been using the OnePlus 8T for a week now, and here's what I think!
    Bummer! *o_O* that didn't happen because the device reached my mailbox only on October 20th. I had planned on starting-off my lab-review like that the moment I found out I've made it to the Lab, but alas, the delay with logistics jinxed what could have been a pretty-cool intro, something that I much anticipated.
    Anyway, here I am now, and let's get going to conduct a multitude of experiments for the OnePlus Lab. ;)

Hello there, Never Settlers!
    This is me, @TheGadgetGirl, reviewing the OnePlus 8T for The Lab! I can't thank enough the OnePlus team for taking me in amongst the top 10 chosen ones for the review squad. A chance to experience the device much before its official launch is a dream-come-true for every tech enthusiast, and I'm glad to check one thing off my bucket list. (Nevermind the troubles with logistics, I'll still count it as being done :p). I'll forever be grateful to the OnePlus team to make that happen! :)

Before we start off with our lab experiments, allow me to tell you a little about my tryst with OnePlus so far.
    My first OnePlus device was the OnePlus X which was my prized possession as it was the first thing I'd purchased with my first salary. I absolutely fell in love with the phone, particularly the UI, its camera, and the form factor. It was a premium looking budget phone and was my perfect digital companion for quite a while. I never wanted to switch to another device but unfortunately, one fine day the OnePlus X mysteriously disappeared from my bag and I temporarily switched to my brother's hand-me-down Huawei Nova 3i. The camera on the device was pretty-exciting, and it made me stick with it longer than I'd expected.
    However, I was planning for long to pick-up where I left off and was supposed to get myself a OnePlus device this Diwali. Of late, I was also active in the community, happened to apply for the Lab, got lucky and made it the to Lab Squad, and you know what happened next.

Guess the Law of Attraction thing really worked in this case and the OnePlus 8T came to me by itself *touchwood*, after an impatient and endless wait! Godspeed.

Coming to this review, it would consist of the following pointers. I'll try my best to make it crisp yet detailed, sharing my experiences as I use the device over the next few days.
    #1: Unboxing and Design
    #2: Display

#3: Battery
    3.1 Powering up the OnePlus 8T
    3.2 How long would a full-charge last?

4.1 The Numbers Game
    4.2 Multi-tasking and stuff
    4.3 Gaming sessions

#5: Camera
    5.1 Photos
    5.1.1 Camera Samples: Ultra Wide
    5.1.2 Comparison: Ultra Wide (0.6x) vs Main Lens (1x)
    5.1.3 Camera Samples: Primary Lens
    a. 12 MP Mode
    b. 48 MP Mode. Zooming into the details!
    5.1.4 Camera Samples: Macro
    5.1.5 Camera Samples: Monochrome
    5.1.6 Camera Samples: Portrait Mode
    5.1.7 Camera Samples: Panorama
    5.1.8 Camera Samples: Night Scape
    5.2 Videos
    5.2.1 Overview
    5.2.2 Video Sample: Portrait Mode (vs Regular Mode)
    5.2.3 Video Sample: Super Stable Mode
    5.2.4 Video Sample: Time Lapse
    5.2.5 Video Sample: Slow Motion
    #6: OxygenOS 11
    #7: Summary

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020

2. TheGadgetGirl

B002.png

Hello, there!
    Our experiments with the OnePlus 8T commence with its unboxing and that'd be our primary objective in the first segment of this review-thread. I'll try to keep the unboxing experience minimal and have the pictures speak for itself.

Without further ado, let's check out the device in all its glory and say hello to the OnePlus 8T!

A classic OnePlus box in minimal red, here we have the box of the OnePlus 8T with product branding, 8T, printed in a bold-black font right at the top. The box is made of eco-friendly cardboard and is wrapped up in a thin layer of plastic.
    02_Box-Top.jpeg

On the rear side of the box, we find important information about the device that includes its model name, color, manufacturing details, retail pricing, box content list, consumer case contact info, IMEI numbers, SAR values, and a couple of other stuff.

03_Box- Rear.jpeg

The top of the box is clean except for a tiny QR code on the corner right. We find 'One Plus 8T' branding printed at the top left surface as well.
    04_Box-Side (L).jpeg

The OnePlus logo is printed right at the top corner of the lower surface of the box and OnePlus branding printed at the right surface's vertex, as you can see below.
    05_Box-Side (R).jpeg

A sticker on the top-rear end to unwrap the plastic film with ease.

Little details to the user-experience, you see? That's OnePlus!
    06_Box-TopEnd.jpeg

Oh, btw, the lower end of the rear surface has a message that reads 'Created Together with Our Community'.
    07_Box-Bottom-End.jpeg.jpeg

Let's remove the top lid and check out what's inside, shall we? :)
    08_Lid.jpeg

Upon removing the top lid, you find the OnePlus 8T 5G wrapped-up in a layer of protective plastic film and seated securely in the pedestal that reads 'Never Settle'.
    09_Box-Open.jpeg

"Team #NeverSettle!"
    10_Box-DeviceOut.jpeg

Underneath that pedestal sits the TPU Case for the device that reads 'Never Settle' in a subtle yet bold print on the right edge. The famous Red Cable sits right below it, slightly thicker than usual this time to deliver electrons at an ultra-speed. ;)
    11_Box-Case.jpeg

The pedestal for the OnePlus 8T also doubles up as an envelope and includes all the important paperwork, THE Invitation Letter, and exclusive OnePlus stickers! The Letter and the Sticker is something every OnePlus fan looks forward to (and probably no one ever reads the paperwork, ever! :p or do you? :eek:).
    View attachment 1470172

...and this is all that's there inside that pretty white envelope.
    From left to right: @Pete's invitation letter (yay!), the Red Cable Club membership card (another cool stuff to show-off), SAR value numbers + Plastic Recycling Card for all the plastic packaging of the box (important to read even if you're from the TL;DR club), a safety information guide (TL;DR) and a quick start guide (TL;DR again!) and, of course, OnePlus Stickers (hell, yeah!).
    12_Paperwork.jpg

Pete's invite that adds a personalized touch and a sense of belonging! Also, undoubtedly the best part of the OnePlus Unboxing Experience after the device, in my opinion! What say?
    14_Invite.jpeg

Keeping the paperwork aside, let's see what more do we've here!
    The Warp Charge 65 is seated in another small box at the lower end hidden with a flip-cover.
    15_AllStuff.jpeg

Unwrapping the protective film off the OnePlus 8T and with the Warp Charge 65 out, here's the stuff from the box that'd you use every day.
    16_AllStuff.jpeg

Before I give you a close-up of the device, here's the glorious Red Cable (a Type C to Type C) and the Warp Charge 65, the fastest OnePlus charging brick yet!
    17_Warp65.jpeg

Say hello to the Warp Charge 65 that's here to power-up the OnePlus 8T in a jiffy!
    18_Warp65.jpeg

The top surface of the power adapter has the USB Type-C port and the OnePlus logo printed right below it.
    19_Warp65(T).jpeg

The rear surface includes the input/output power-rating and other regulatory stuff.
    Here.
    20_Warp65(B).jpeg

*Drumroll*
    And that's the OnePlus 8T in Aquamarine Green! So charming to look at, ain't it? :)
    21_Warp65(B).jpeg

Let's power on the OnePlus 8T and dive-in to an Ultra Smooth experience that stops at nothing!
    22_Final.jpeg

That was all for the unboxing of the OnePlus 8T. The minimal design with elements of surprises, a user-friendly packaging, little attention to detail, and OnePlus's personalized touch, makes the experience an absolute delight.

Scroll down below for the next sequence of our first experiment where we'll focus on the design and physical overview of the OnePlus 8T.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020

Venky61, jlasensiofi, aris and 21 others like this.
  3. TheGadgetGirl

With the OnePlus 8T out-of-the-box, it's time to dive deeper into the design of the phone and take a closer look at the physical overview of the OnePlus 8T.
    01_Init.jpeg

Aquamarine Green and Lunar Silver are the two color variants available for the OnePlus 8T and as you might have guessed, I've got the Aquamarine Green with me.

"If the Lunar Silver is Jazz, the Aquamarine Green is Funk!"
    - @TheGadgetGirl
    Not kidding! While the Lunar Silver has a mellow finish to it, the Aquamarine Green is nothing less than a show-stopper. The hues of green add a dash of freshness to the rear-panel of the OnePlus 8T and it feels so soothing to look at. Something you'd fall in love with, in an instant. As the saying goes, there are three responses to a piece of design—yes, no, and WOW! The OnePlus 8T is surely a 'Wow' the moment you look at it.

Let's begin with the visuals of the One Plus 8T Aquamarine Green with some shots of its rear-panel.

Designed with the classy minimalist OnePlus design philosophy and crafted with a premium 'glasstic' material, with the OnePlus 8T you're all in for a treat.
    02_Device_Top(R).jpeg

The top-left corner of the rear-surface houses the Quad Camera array with the '48M OIS 14-26mm' marking dividing the module into two equal halves. This time the camera is placed in an entirely new fashion from the previous OnePlus devices. A good change, I'd say, although I did appreciate the Oreo-setup that the OnePlus 7T had! The dual-tone accents in the camera-array look fantastic, don't they?
    The power button and the 'essential' Slider is housed on the left surface, being easily accessible.
    (from the rear; right from the front).
    03_Device_Top(L).jpeg

The camera/LED module is layered by another layer of glass which doesn't seem to scratch easily, thereby, protecting the lenses, and is also slightly bumped out. No worries here folks as that bump doesn't cause the device to wobble when kept on a flat surface. The volume rockers are on the right (from the rear) surface and are easily reachable as well. Also, there's a microphone (a secondary noise cancellation) on the upper surface's left corner, as you can see below.

BTW, did you notice that the device is flooded with antenna bands? Top, sides, bottom, wherever you look at, they are there! Seems not just 5G, this beast can even handle 6G. :p
    04_Device_Top.jpeg

Here's a close-up of the Camera module with the subtle dual-tone perfectly captured (after multiple attempts! *Damn the reflections*).
    04_Device_Top, ii.jpeg

Taking a look at the lower surface of the device, we find the SIM Tray, Microphone, Type-C USB Port, and speaker grille from left to right. Again with some antenna bands are present here dissecting the surface into three proportional halves.
    No Jack, btw. And I absolutely don't like this exclusion. It's time I take a leap to wireless headsets and ditch my Sony's extra-bass headphones! *sigh*
    05_Device_Bottom.jpeg

A close-up of the lower surface with the SIM tray ejected. A dual-SIM tray with no support for microSD card is what we have here.
    06_Device_SIMTray.jpeg

Flipping the device, here's the OnePlus 8T with its 120Hz Ultra-Smooth Display turned on. The bezels are thin & barely noticeable and the screen is flat. A practical design, again. Was never a fan of curved displays anyway!
    I'll share further insights on the display in the next sequence of this review.
    06-1_DeviceOn.jpeg

As you can see, the in-display selfie camera is placed top right corner. Too tiny, it is barely noticeable and doesn't interfere much with the visual experience. Being better than the water-drop notch styled design, a full-screen display with a pop-up camera would have been 'ideal' but I guess there are design constraints involved for a 5G phone. No complaints here either.
    Since the device has stereo speakers, the speaker module is a hybrid one that doubles up as an earpiece and a loudspeaker.
    06-2_CameraModule.jpeg

Moving on, let's wrap our device in the TPU case that comes with the box. Personally, I am not a fan of clear TPU cases that come with the box-bundle but this one really complements the design of the phone. I wish it doesn't turn yellow with time because it really makes the phone looks good and I don't want to replace it too soon! (Can't buy it at the OnePlus store, I guess. Correct me if I'm wrong)
    07_Device_Case.jpeg

Little attention to details again, the case has a flap to protect the charging port from dust and other unwanted stuff.
    08_Device_Case, i.jpeg

The inner-texture is regular like in most TPU-cases out there.
    09_Device_Case, ii.jpeg

It fits snugly and has perfect cutouts for all the buttons, mic, and port on the device.
    10_Device_Case, iii.jpeg

The in-display fingerprint scanner is perfectly placed and can be easily accessed from both ends, left and right. I classify my hands as medium-sized and can say that the phone is a perfect fit.
    12_FP.jpeg

With the weight balance being right done, the device feels light for its size. Speaking of numbers, the device weighs only 189g without the case and 208g with the case on.
    11-Weight.jpg

The device feels so good to hold in hands. A smooth finish with a soft silky texture makes you wanna not keep it down. The touch-and-feel is just beyond amazing and I fail to find words to describe it.
    11_HandsOn.jpeg

Another cool thing about the OnePlus 8T's design is the material of which the rear panel is made of. It seems to be the best of both worlds, matte and gloss. Having the shimmer and shine you'd find in a glossy finish, it takes serious efforts to leave fingerprints on its rear panel, like it would on a matte surface. 'Anti-Fingerprint Magnet' is what I'd like to call it.
    I don't know how did the OnePlus design team manage to achieve it, but it is really something! Guess I can rock the device without the case on, if I wish to, without having to worry about leaving those ugly fingerprint marks no one likes.

Don't believe me? Check out this .GIF!
    GIF01.gif

I made several attempts to leave marks but the OnePlus 8T is too stubborn to rock anything but its graceful design!

With this #ShotOfOnePlus8T from my gallery, I'll wrap up for the day.

Wrap!.jpeg

Feel free to drop your questions about the device, if you have any, in the comments below and I'll try to address them in the best way I could.
    I'll be sharing my insights on the coolest thing about the OnePlus 8T, the display, in the next sequence of this review. Stay tuned. :)

4. TheGadgetGirl

B003.png

Hello and welcome to The Lab: OnePlus 8T, Experiment 2.0. Our key-focus in this one would be the Display on the OnePlus 8T, which in OnePlus's own words delivers perfection in each frame, transforming your on-screen experience with buttery smooth scrolling.
    Scroll along to find out if it's as impressive as OnePlus tells!

Well, in my opinion, the display forms the most crucial aspect of any electronic device that has a visual-output 'cuz it acts as a direct interface between the device and the user and serves as the focal point for what we might call an encompassing user experience. You can't really 'touch-and-feel' the flagship chipset on your device, can you? But with the display, it essentially comes down to the touch-and-feel factor.
    We spend hours gazing at our phones, scrolling through feeds on social media (...usually scrolling many miles a day :p), binge-watching our favorite TV series, playing games, and stuff like that. All of this strains our eyes. And that is exactly the reason why having an excellent display is as important as a flagship chipset or camera module.

Speaking of numbers, the OnePlus 8T packs in a 6.55 inch Fluid AMOLED display with a 120 Hz refresh rate which together forms a terrific configuration! To take the visual experience a notch above, the display on OnePlus 8T bundles along with the new 'Flowscape Display Design'. The FHD+ 2.5D flexible Flowscape display is better tuned to create a more vivid and compelling visual experience offering a brightness of up to 1,100 nits. Sounds impressive, isn't it? The Display is bound to impress you with its impeccable visual experience, owing to the excellent hardware it packs-in.
    It's vivid, it's bright, and a treat to the eyes.
    Before I jump to real-time visuals of the display on OnePlus 8T, allow me to showcase the diversity of options that OxygenOS 11 has to offer for the 8T's display, to personalize the visuals.

For starters, we find the 'Display' settings in the third option on the settings menu.

1.0 - Display.jpeg
    Tapping on which we jump straight to Display settings. Here, the functions are sub-classified into Screen and Scenes.
    Under 'Screen', there's the basic stuff to do control like enabling the adaptive brightness, calibrating screen, juggling the refresh rate between 60Hz and 120Hz.
    Following it is the 'Scenes' sub-settings which offers enabling/ disabling various mode likes the Vision Comfort, Reading, Dark, Vibrant Colour Effect. Tweaks for the 'Ambient Display' (the Always-On-Display, in layman terms), Font, and Display Size can be easily done here as well.
    1.1 - Display.jpeg

Oh, did you know that the display on the OnePlus 8T is also more color accurate and more energy-efficient than before? The credit goes to the panel’s advanced E3 material to make it happen. In addition to full DCI-P3 color gamut support, the display reduces power consumption and potentially harmful blue light emissions by 40%.
    All of these calibrations can be easily done through the 'Screen > Advanced > Screen Calibration' menu. The five presets that are available at your disposal are as follows:
    1.2 - Display, Screen Callibration.jpeg

NOTE: I had planned on to upload a video to demonstrate the effect on the display each mode brings in but unfortunately, the camera couldn't capture it the way I'd imagine it would. In other words, this is something that can be experienced in real-life and it kind-a daunting to demonstrate it virtually. Sorry, folks! :(
    Since I'm coming from a non OnePlus device that's over two years old, this option seems to be really exciting to me. I'm not quite sure if the previous devices from the series have it too. Please let me know if it does.

Coming to the refresh rate, the device offers 120Hz and 60Hz mode to pick from. I was expecting to find an option for 'adaptive refresh rate' that would automatically readjust to a refresh rate best suited for the active usage session but the option doesn't seem to be there right now. I hope the developers are already working on an enhancement to bring a feature like that for it might help with extending the battery life a little bit more! Since a higher refresh rate could be taxing on the battery, it wouldn't harm to have the option.

Moving forward to 'Scenes', as I stated above, there are again a lot of options available. The 'Reading Mode' impressed me quite a lot, offering comfortable hues while reading. It attempts to give the experience that an e-reader would offer with the two effects it has: Mono and Chromatic. The Mono effect, when enabled, makes one more focused while reading by removing the color-related distraction and attempts to simulate a paper-like feel, making the reader immersed in words. The Chromatic blocks the blue light by changing the screen-tone to the warmer side and thereby, provides for a much more appropriate experience while reading. 1.3 - Reading Mode.jpeg
    Next comes the 'Vibrant Colour Effect' which when enabled makes the colors and contrast richer and vivid. This translates to an improvised experience while watching videos. Take a look! Magic in a button, right here! :)

GIF001 - Display - Vibrant Color Effect.gif

There's more to the display from the software front which I'll touch base on when I cover OxygenOS in detail in latter part of this experiments-with-OnePlus 8T-series.

Does the OnePlus 8T's display have it all? Of course, it does! Here are a few videos that I captured in real-life to eliminate your doubts if there were any.
    If a picture speaks louder than words, a video speaks even louder. Check these out and be the judge for yourself and let me know what do you think in the comments!

Ultra-Smooth Scrolling

Coming from a non AMOLED, low-res 60Hz display, this seems to be the next big thing to me!

Bright enough outdoors, with great viewing angles!

Shot in broad-daylight at full brightness level.

Umm, your thoughts?
    The display on the 8T is so wonderful that I never wanna keep it down! :D

How about some images of OnePlus 8T's display? Here we go! ;)

Still of the Display at varied brightness levels (outdoors)
    Good visuals even at around 70% brightness level.
    2.1 - Display, Brightness Levels.jpeg

Rich colors, deep contrasts: both outdoors and indoors
    2.2 - Display, Regular Mode.jpeg

Deeper and Richer Blacks
    2.3 - Display, Dark Mode.jpeg

For the geeks out there who are into the very specifics, attaching the following screenshot of DRM Info. Needless to say, there's support for Widevine L1 and HDR10/HDR10+/HLG HDR types.
    3.0 - Display, DRM Info.jpg

If I've to describe the OnePlus 8T's display, I'd pick "Unprecedented" from the dictionary. Because that's what it feels like.

Ultra-Smooth, Ultra-Fluid and so much more.

As I mentioned earlier, it'd be nice to have an 'adaptive refresh rate' kind-a thing on the settings menu. Guess it can be easily implemented via an OTA update and I hope that developers do take a note if they are reading this and haven't planned on such an enhancement yet.

That being said, I'll wrap up our second sequence of experiments with the OnePlus 8T with this #ShotOfOnePlus8T from my gallery that I captured earlier today. ;)
    2.4 - Display, WrapUp.jpeg

Feel free to shoot me with any questions you've about the OnePlus 8T in the comments below. I'll see you there and in my next iteration of experiments with the device scheduled for tomorrow. Any guesses on what would it be, btw? ;)
    Ciao!

Attached Files:

Venky61, TibiTibi, woSch and 14 others like this.
  5. TheGadgetGirl

B004.png
    Hello and welcome to The Lab: OnePlus 8T, Experiment 3.0. Our focus on the third sequence of the experiments with the OnePlus 8T would be its battery. Before I begin, I'd like to apologize for the slight delay in putting this up. I wanted this 'experiment' to be really precise, and it took a little more time than I expected to wrap up things I'd planned to do, and therefore, the slight delay. Anyway, coming back to the topic, I'll be categorizing this into the following two sub-sections, namely:
    3.1 Powering up the OnePlus 8T
    3.2 How long would a full charge last?
    The former has a real-time screen-recording of the device being powered up by Warp Charge 65, the fastest charging brick from OnePlus yet, while the latter includes draining the battery in four different use-cases.

Let's take a quick overview of the key highlights of the battery on the OnePlus 8T before we jump to our experiments. The device packs in a 4500mAh battery with the support for OnePlus's new twin-battery charging technology solution. The 'Warp Charge 65' charger is bundled with the box and delivers 65W of power, which can fully charge the device in under 39 minutes as per the official claim (depends on charging conditions, however)! The charger comes with Type-C/Type-C port, making it universal.

One charger, many devices (and less eWaste ;)).
    GIF001.gif

[3.1 Powering up the OnePlus 8T]
    Moving forward, let's check out how long does the Warp Charge 65 takes to full-charge the device in a real-time scenario! Here's a screen-recording for the same:

Original video length: 51 minutes.
    If you're skipping through the video, here's a summary of what happened:
    20:40 - OnePlus 8T at 6% battery. Warp Charge 65 plugged in.
    20:55 - 15 minutes since plugged in. Battery level at 37% (up by 31%).
    21:00 - 20 minutes since plugged in. Battery level at 45% (up by 39%) FAST!
    21:15 - 35 minutes since plugged in. Battery level at 75%.
    21:20 - 40 minutes since plugged in. Battery level at 84% (it ain't slowing down!)
    21:31 - 51 minutes since plugged in. Battery at 100%. (which 11 minutes more than the official 39 minutes claim :p)

01-Charging.jpg
    Well, that was ultra-fast, indeed. You'd expect the charging speed to slow down once it crosses the 80/85% mark but that clearly wasn't the case here. Regarding the extra 11 minutes time taken from the official claim (which is under 39 minutes), it's because the device was also screen-recoding everything happening continuously, which obviously would have strained the system a bit more than usual. Otherwise, it usually takes around 35 to 40 minutes to fully charge the device when kept idle with mobile data on, as per my experience so far.

[3.2 How long would a full charge last?]
    Gotta drain its 4500mAh battery now and find out if the OnePlus 8T discharges as quickly as it charges or otherwise! To make the 'battery-drain' test as comprehensive as possible, it has been dissected into the following four use-cases with distinct usage pattern:

• Use case#1: Simulating an average user's usage pattern
    • Use case#2: Simulating a fairly heavy usage pattern with major emphasis on gaming sessions
    • Use case#3: Continous video recording with maximum resources put to use
    • Use case#4: The 'Screen-on' Test

Let's get going and take a look at the findings!

• Use case#1: Simulating an average user's usage pattern
    Objective: Moderately using the device at auto brightness at 120Hz refresh rate mode with either WiFi or Mobile data enabled (as needed), Ambient display enabled all-day, and GPS & Bluetooth enabled only when required, with battery dropping from 100% to 4%.

Here's what happened:
    • Day 01, 21:33: Battery at 100%
    01.1-Charging.jpg
    This was followed by around 80 minutes of video streaming on Amazon Prime, browsing around the web, quick Whatsapp and other stuff and the battery drained by 15%
    • Day 01, 23:43: Battery at 85%
    01.2-Charging.jpg
    The first 50% drop involved 80~ minutes of streaming Prime Video, 2~ hours of streaming music on Spotify, background running of the app StepSetGo (with GPS on for an hour), a few minutes of Instagram, Twitter, and Google Pay (collecting tickets and miles. Users from India can relate). The Ambient display was enabled the entire time, as mentioned above. All of this translates to 12 hours of standby and 2h 17m of SoT from the last full charge.
    • Day 02, 09:59: Battery at 50%.
    01.3-Charging.jpg
    • Day 02, 14:49: Battery at 4%.
    A 5h 33m of SoT with a 17h of stand-by since last unplugged, so far.
    01.4-Charging.jpg
    The app/ hardware wise detailed usage for this test case looked like below:
    01.5-Charging.jpg

To conclude this use-case, I'll say the battery performance on the OnePlus 8T is impressive. This above scenario would probably replicate a good chunk of users out there who are primarily into social media, music, video streaming, and stuff. The device can easily last you one good day without you having to be anxious about low battery levels at all! And even if you're worried, there's Warp Charge 65 to the rescue which would charge it in less than an hour. You're good to go even with a 15min charging session in case of emergencies. Might come in handy for those impromptu Zoom calls from your boss or school-teacher! ;)

It'd be interesting to see how the battery reacts when stressed by a couple of heavy apps! And to find out we have the second use case right below.

• Use case#2: Simulating a fairly heavy usage pattern with major emphasis on gaming sessions
    Objective: Using the device primarily to run hardware demanding apps at max brightness level at 120 Hz refresh rate with WiFi/ Mobile Data constantly on, GPS and Bluetooth enabled for the most duration the test, until battery drops from 100% to 6%.

The battery stat looked like below after multiple gaming sessions
    [exact time play is included in the screenshot that follows], using the camera to record a timelapse video in 4K for 30~ minutes, browsing across social media platforms, and other stuff.

That's approximately 6h of SoT! Better than our previous test.

1.6_Charging.jpeg
    The app-wise detailed usage and the time for which each title was played is as below: 1.8_Charging.jpeg

Battery usage since last full charge

1.7_Charging.jpeg

Gaming Statistics: time and battery usage

//TODO:
    Use case#3: Continous video recording with maximum resources put to use

Objective: Continuous Timelapse video recording to drain the battery from 100% level to 4%.
    [Work in Progress]

Use case#4: The 'Screen-on' Test
    Objective: Keeping the display on by streaming videos on YouTube until the battery level drops from 100% to 4%

[Work in Progress]

Venky61, TibiTibi, woSch and 4 others like this.
  6. TheGadgetGirl

B005.png
    After design, display, and battery, the next on our list is the Performance of the OnePlus 8T.
    A trendy and user-friendly design, super-smooth and ultra-crisp display, and a long-lasting battery that charges in no time makes up for a stellar device, and that's exactly what the OnePlus 8T is. But that's not all! There's so much more to what the OnePlus 8T has in store for us.

Equipped with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 mobile, the phone is all about a flagship performance, from photography to gaming to multitasking and all that you can do on a phone. There's also a 5G modem involved, Qualcomm Snapdragon X55, for next-gen connectivity and super-fast speed (unfortunately, 5G isn't making its way to India any sooner, but it's good to have a 5G ready device). What's more? UFS3.1 for super-fast data transfers, Dolby Atmos for those perfect acoustics, intuitive haptics for the excellent touch-and-feel, improvised cooling system, and lots of other stuff! Bundled together, all of this translates to an ultra-flagship performance that you can expect from the OnePlus 8T. I've with me the 12GB/256GB variant of the OnePlus 8T, and it has been an utter delight so far in terms of the overall performance that one expects from a device!

To give you a comprehensive overview of the performance aspect of the OnePlus 8T, I've dissected in further into below three pointers:

4.1 The Numbers Game
    4.2 Multi-tasking and other stuff
    4.3 Gaming sessions

Let's dive-in!
    [4.1 The Numbers Game]
    Even though I'm of the opinion that the benchmark numbers don't really matter much for they do not convey the true performance of the device, yet I ran two benchmark tests to see how it fares up against the competition in terms of the numbers game. This is what the results looked like:
    i. GeekBench
    With a single-core score of 848 and 3028 on the multi-score, the benchmark results of the OnePlus 8T on the GeekBench were as follows. Surprisingly, the OnePlus 8 scores more than this one (wondering why would that be). There seems to be a significant difference between the 8T and the Samsung Galaxy S20+/S20 Ultra.
    4.1.1_Performance_GeekBenchScore.jpg
    ii. 3DMark - The Gamer's Benchmark
    Next up on our list for the benchmark test is the '3DMark'. This one puts an emphasis on the gaming aspect of the device and gives a performance comparison with other smartphones in the competition. The is what happened during the test:
    The benchmark score seems to be 71% better than the results from all other devices. The results were as follows:
    4.1.3.jpg
    Here's the performance Monitoring graph during the benchmark run:
    4.1.4.jpg

Guess it's safe to conclude that the OnePlus 8T is champion even with the numbers game! 'Sheer Power' is what you signed up for, the moment you decide to go for the OnePlus 8T.

[4.2 Multi-tasking and other stuff]
    Speaking of multi-tasking, the device seems to handle all the tasks you throw at it with ease and gets the job done in a super-smooth fashion. The RAM management seems great and the apps stay active in the background when you're switching between lots of them! Here's another live example:

Fluid, ain't it?

Coming to connectivity, the OnePlus 8T is supports 5G but since it isn't available yet in my region, I wouldn't have much to say here. To see if the device makes a difference with 4G data transfer speed, I ran a SpeedTest (on Ookla) on the OnePlus 8T and my old device, the Huawei Nova 3i, at the same spot, simultaneously, with the two phones being on the same carrier (Airtel 4G) and these were the results:

4.2.1.jpg
    As astonished as I was!
    That's almost a 10x difference between the two devices.
    Same carrier, same spot, I repeat!
    4.2.2.gif
    Left: Huawei Nova 3i | Right: OnePlus 8T

The other wonderful stuff that I really liked about the OnePlus 8T that makes for an enriching performance is the Haptics! It's nothing like I've never used before. So responsive, so immersive and, tactile! Typing on the virtual keyboard seems satisfying and the gaming sessions just got better. Thankyou,
    OnePlus! Just like finer things in life, it's difficult to put into words the experience it brings along or to show you a demo through a video, you just gotta try it yourself!
    Additionally, the presence of Stereo speakers and support for Dolby Atmos makes the audio experience absolutely splendid. The speakers are loud, crisp, and clear, with the perfect tuning. I really miss the headphone jack though! :(

[4.3 Gaming sessions]
    Up next: Gaming! To achieve a solid gaming performance on a smartphone, a powerful process, fluid display, immersive audio, and minimal heating during the gameplay sessions are a must. And the OnePlus 8T checks off everything from the list. I tried a couple of titles, low/medium/high graphic intensive, and the experience was excellent through each session. The maximum temperature that I observed was 42 C while rushing on the race-track on Asphalt 9. The battery drain wasn't too much and I don't think there was ever a frame drop or lag.

To make the gaming review more detailed and controlled, I ran the 'Wildlife Stress Test' on 3DMark. The test is 20 minutes long and attempts to find out the device's performance under longer periods of heavy load by mimicking mobile games that are based on longer, more immersive experiences.

4.1.2_Performance.gif
    Here are the results:
    4.3.2_Performance.jpg
    The test reported a 99.6% stability with 3827 as the best loop score. The battery level dropped from 34% to 25% after 20 minutes of brutal graphic simulation, a mere 9% drop! The frame rate was between 16 FPS to 45 FPS, and the temperature ranged between 37°C to 42°C. Fair enough!

In a real-time setting, I observed similar results. For instance, after 23 minutes gameplay of on Asphalt 9, the battery drop was 09% and the maximum temperate increased from 38°C to 43°C.
    4.3.4_Performance.jpg

With that, we come to the end of this section. I'm sure you do have a fair idea of how powerful the OnePlus 8T is! Ultra Stops at nothing, they say! ;)

Feel free to drop any queries on the performance aspect of the OnePlus 8T in the comment section down below. See ya' there and in the next sequence.

Attached Files:

Venky61, nerdkabir, TibiTibi and 4 others like this.
  7. TheGadgetGirl

B006.png

Up next? The Camera Review, my favorite part about this series of experiments with the OnePlus 8T! The OnePlus 8T is equipped with a quad-camera setup on the rear with the following four lenses:

5.1.png
    1. Ultra Wide Angle Lens (Sony IMX481/ 16MP/ f/2.2 aperture/ 123-degree field of view)
    2. Main Camera (Sony IMX586/ 48MP/ f/1.7 aperture/ with OIS and EIS)
    3. Macro Lens (5MP/ 3cm focal length)
    4. Monochrome Lens (2MP)
    On the front, there's an in-display 16MP selfie camera with Sony IMX481 sensor under the good.

The camera module seems to do a fantastic job in capturing moments, just the way you want. I sincerely miss the presence of the telephoto lens and wouldn't mind if OnePlus had ditched the Macro lens for it!
    (and I guess you might feel the same as well :p). I took the camera for a spin to shoot various scenes and was amazed at the results. The HDR seems to be implemented really well, and the images look really pleasing and well-detailed. I really liked the Ultra-Wide mode for it allows me to click a really wider perspective and there is hardly any distortion on the edges, which is a common issue that pops up with ultra wides.
    Enough wordplay, time to check out some real-time sample shots, straight out of the camera of the OnePlus 8T.

Let's get going! :)

5.1.1 Camera Samples: Ultra-Wide
    Note to Self: Start with a photo of a cute cat and they'll subconsciously like all others samples a bit more than otherwise ;)
    Here's one of the first few pictures that I clicked from the OnePlus 8T soon as I unboxed it. I feel cat makes really good subjects for they're adorable and their cute little whiskers serve as a decent 'object' to test the camera's ability to capture the smallest details.

5.1.1.1:
    5.1.1.jpg

What do you think? I'm impressed!

5.1.1.2:
    An ultra-wide sample captured at the supermarket. Leading lines, multiple colors, bright lights, all in one! Notice how the edges don't seem misfit for an Ultra-Wide capture (which is usually the case with Ultra-wide lenses on smartphones).
    5.1.2.jpg
    A picture-perfect sample? :p

5.1.1.3:
    Captured outdoors, on a bright sunny day. Great details although the sky seems a little dull that it was. Also, it's toned a little on the warmer side.
    5.1.3.jpg

5.1.1.4:
    Indoors. Artificial lights. Good job on the details and color reproduction, I guess!
    5.1.5.jpg

5.1.1.5:
    Another one captured on a bright sunny day. Shot captured from a lower angle. Great details, yet again. The color reproduction and the tones are perfect on this one (unlike sample 5.1.1.3 which was slightly on a warmer tone)
    5.1.6.jpg

Before moving on to samples from the primary lens, let me show you a direct comparison between Ultra-Wide and Primary lens.

5.1.2 Comparison: Ultra Wide (0.6x) vs Main Lens (1x)

This one's a screenshot from the camera app just to demonstrate how does the switch from ultra-wide to regular feels in a real-time setting!
    5.2.0.jpg
    Throwing some comparisons right below:
    My Cat from sample 5.1.1.1, 1x vs 0.6x! An outdoor shot on a bright sunny day.
    The two lenses doesn't seem to be synced perfectly in terms of white-balance. [This issue was fixed with the latest update.]
    The one on the left
    (i.e. shot at 1x) is a more accurate reproduction of the actual scene.
    Before the latest OTA, the Ultra-wide seemed to be '
    cooler', literally! :eek:

5.2.1.jpg

From the supermarket (a comparison between 1x and 0.6x of sample 5.1.1.2).
    No issues with the white-balance in this case, btw.

5.2.2.jpg

Another one from the above samples, 5.1.2.3. Regular vs Ultra-wide. Unlike the case with 5.1.2.1 (the cat's comparison shot), the white balance seems to be synced in both the samples. As mentioned above, the recent OTA seemed to have fixed the issue!
    5.2.3.jpg

5.1.3 Camera Samples
    The next on the camera array of the OnePlus 8T is the 'Main' camera and here are some of the samples that I took. The camera offers an option to switch between 12MP and 48MP mode. The 48MP mode does a pretty good job while capturing even the smallest of details at the cost of hefty file size. The 12MP one is also capable enough to capture all kinds of scenes with accurate reciprocation.
    a. The 12 MP Mode

Say hello to Miss Snow White! Look how cute her tiny whiskers are and notice the perfect focus on the object. A perfect background blur! :)
    5.3.1.jpg

Shot at 1x.
    Remember the screenshot (5.1.2.1) I included above? It's the same shot.

5.3.2.jpg

Coke, anyone? Accurate color reproduction!
    5.3.3.jpg

Great job on HDR. Look at the amount of details captured. This isn't even 48MP. Mind = Blown!
    5.3.4.jpg

"Soakin' in some sunshine"
    Ah! the details. Notice how precisely Mr. Woof's fur is captured. Beyond amazing!

5.3.5.jpg

b. The 48 MP Mode. Zooming into the details!
    Since the forum doesn't allow uploading files larger than 5MP, I've created a collage with the 48MP shot in the center and a screenshot from the zoomed-in version around it.
    Additionally, I'll drop a link to Google Drive with all these samples uploaded at end of this thread. You might take a look, if interested. Cool?

The cat, again! :cool:
    48MP_01.jpg

Landscape.
    Great job, right?
    *pats OnePlus 8T on the back*

48MP_02.jpg

Hello from the Naini Lake!
    48MP_03.jpg

5.1.4 Camera Samples: Macro
    The next lens in the camera array of the OnePlus 8T is the macro! I'm glad that OnePlus didn't settle for 2MP
    and included a 5MP shooter. Let's see how it performs.

What say?
    5.4.1.jpg

Imperfections of orange's peel.
    5.4.2.jpg

I'm terrible at macro-photography but guess the camera makes me look as bad as I'm. (Or it does not? :p)
    5.4.3.jpg

Coconut! The details. Umm, not bad, eh?
    5.4.4.jpg

A prickly cactus! Thorns, oh my!
    5.4.5.jpg

5.1.5 Camera Samples: Monochromes
    The fourth lens, Monochrome. I honestly liked this one and guess I'll explore the black-and-white style of photography further using this. Some of the photographs that I took while capturing seemed wonderful, imo.
    Impressive job on capturing the details, right?
    5.5.0.jpg

Cacti, again! This time a different kind and in B&W.
    5.5.1.jpg

Caption this.
    5.5.2.jpg

"A day in the life"
    5.5.3.jpg

Untitled
    5.5.4.jpg
    Color is descriptive. Black and white is interpretive.” Elliott Erwitt rightly said!
    I'll be sharing a dedicated thread with some of my best Monochromes shot soon enough. Lovin' clicking in B&W a little too much.

5.1.6 Camera Samples: Portrait Mode
    Time to check out some samples captured using the Portrait mode! The mode doesn't support manual zoom-ins and there are just two options available. One seems to be at 2X (the default selection when you switch to the mode) and the other at 1X.

"Oh, hello, again! Do you like my whiskers and my cute little face? I'm an excellent meow-dal, btw."
    5.6.1.jpg

"I'm usually serious and try to be a good meow-dal too. Although I might sometime hiss if you cross your limits, hooman"
    5.6.2.jpg

"And I've got the looks and style."
    5.6.3.jpg

Let's now check how well the portrait mode works on human subjects! :D

I liked the soft-defocus effect the portrait mode brings in at the background. The details are good too and edge detection almost accurate. Look!
    5.6.4.jpg

What say? The edge detection seems nearly precise.
    5.6.5.jpg
    Oh, another thing that I observed with the portrait mode was that it might sometime get messy with the white balance. Check these two comparisons to understand what I'm trying to say.

A Comparison: Primary vs Portrait Mode

Comparison#1
    Shot outdoors, natural light. As you can see, the portrait mode seems to be a little on the warmer side in terms of WB!
    5.6.Comparsion.1.jpg
    Left: Regular Mode. Right: Portrait Mode

Comparison#2
    This one's shot outdoors at well. In this one, the WB seems to be off-limits when you compare the two. Too cool on regular mode and too warm on portrait mode.
    I wonder why did that happen and hope that it's addressed with a future update.

5.6.Comparsion.2.jpg
    Left: Regular Mode. Right: Portrait Mode

5.1.7 Camera Samples: Panorama
    I have always enjoyed capturing Panoramas and shooting them on the OnePlus 8T was an utter delight. The images are stitched perfectly and the output is a perfectly seamless shot.
    The original file was sized somewhere between 6MB-8MB and I had to compress it so that I could attach them here. The details seem to be excellent even in the compressed version. Do check out the original version (link at the end)
    Hello from the Naini Lake (Nainital, Uttarakhand, India)
    5.7.0_Pano.JPG

Good details and a perfectly stitched panoramic shot! Picturesque. :)
    5.7.1_Pano.JPG

The Naini Lake on the left, as viewed from the 'Snow-view' hilltop.
    5.7.2_Pano.JPG

5.1.8 Camera Samples: Nightscape
    The Nightscape mode comes with enhanced low-light camera algorithms that make auto-adjusts for producing vivid color and cleaner details to get that perfect shot in low lights.

Here's a sample, shot close up. Notice how the object is perfectly illuminated and the details are sharp, colors precise.
    5.8.1.jpg
    Dropping in some comparisons below between regular mode and nightscape mode, to give you a better idea.
    Notice how the colors, details, and illumination in the picture on the right is so much better than the one on left. Nightscape's magic! The colors are darn accurate too.
    5.8.2.jpg

Another one. Perfect illuminations with the Nightscape mode enabled (right). Takes merely 2 or 3 seconds and produces amazing pictures!
    5.8.3.jpg

The one captured without the nightscape mode seems washed out and grainy. Enabling it indeed makes a huge difference, right?
    5.8.4.jpg

NOTE: I'm yet to try the Pro mode on the OnePlus 8T to capture starry-nights but the weather hasn't been favorable yet. I hope I manage to capture some shots by the end of this week. If I do, I'll attach them right here and would notify you. Stay tuned. :)

Well, that's enough camera samples, I guess. How about we check out the video mode on the OnePlus 8T now?

5.2.1 A Quick Overview

The OnePlus 8T enables shooting video at up to 4k resolution at 60/30 fps, for the default mode. Following is a screenshot from the default camera app that includes the various configurations (Frame rate/ Resolution/ Aspect ratio) available to shoot videos.

5.2.2_Config.jpeg
    Apart from the default mode, there are three exclusive modes available:
    i. Super Steady: For jitter-free video recordings when you're on the move. It can only record at 1080p at 30fps and won't let you zoom-in or use the ultra-wide lens. Would have been great if did!
    ii. Nightscape: For ultra-clear videos at low-lights. Like the Super Steady mode, it also records at 1080p at 30fps and doesn't work on the ultra-wide lens
    iii. Video Portrait: When enabled, it shoots vivid videos with a natural bokeh effect! Like the other two modes, can't shoot beyond 1080p or use ultra-wide on this one either!

Additionally, there are two traditional modes present as well, the Slow Motion and Time-Lapse.
    The Super Slow Motion videos can either be recorded at 720p at 480 fps or 1080p at 240 fps. For Time-Lapse, there's 1080p 30fps or 4k 30fps available. The results are decent for both although support for high fps on slo-mo and toggling the speed while recording timelapse would serve as an additional advantage.

Let's head to some video samples now.

5.2.2 Video Sample: Portrait Mode (vs Default Mode)
    Here's a comparison of two videos of a similar scene. One of them is recorded using the default mode (left) and the other with Video Portrait mode enabled. The algorithm tries best to keep the subject on focus in the finest possible manner although there are slight imperfections involved.

Left: Default/ Right: Portrait Mode enabled
    Thanks to our Boatman at the Lake, Nainital, Mr. Arun Kumar, for this camera sample! :)

5.2.3 Video Sample: Super Stable Mode
    On the left is a recording done with the default mode. See how the sample shot with Super Stable Mode enabled seems smooth when compared. However, it doesn't allow zooming-in, and that's a slight disappointment.

Left: Default/ Right: Super Stable Mode enabled

Another sample! If you're into cinematography, this mode can come in handy at times.
    https://youtu.be/tya8qCUb_ms

5.2.4 Video Sample: Time Lapse

Sample 001: Moments by the Lake!
    Shot at 1080p at 30fps.

Sample 002: 'Moonrise'
    Recorded at low light, at 4k resolution at 30fps. Later, speed-up to 2x the original version.

5.2.5 Video Sample: Slow Motion
    720p at 480FPS.

With that, we come to yet another 'experiment' with the OnePlus 8T 5G. The most fun yet! Before I sign-off, I must confess that I was really disappointed when I found out that the OnePlus 8T 5G would be bundled with a Sony IMX586 sensor, almost two years old: considered 'ancient' by quite a few tech experts. My opinion really changed once I used it. An element of surprise, I'd say! :)
    It isn't always about the hardware, the software matters a lot and that's essentially the case with the OnePlus 8T. The camera is indeed very good and the presence of a Telephoto lens would have made the device perfect, in my opinion.

Feel free to pour in your thoughts and feedback on the camera samples off the OnePlus 8T (and my photography skills as well ;)). I'll see you in the comments and in the next & final sequence of this series.

Take care, till then. Ciao! :)

P.S.: Here's the link to Google Drive that includes all the images I've attached in this camera review. If you're someone who likes to zoom into the pictures and pay attention to minute details, this one's for you! Go, check it out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020

Bittoo06, Venky61, nerdkabir and 4 others like this.
  8. TheGadgetGirl

B007.png
    Next on the list? The Software, OxygenOS 11 that is. 'Save the best for last', as they say. ;) I strongly feel OxygenOS is THE major factor that sets OnePlus apart from other devices out there. The seamlessness, fluidity, and minimalism it offers are beyond par when compared with other Android-based operating systems. I've had the OnePlus 8T with me for over a fortnight now, and the experience has been unparalleled.
    SS_1.0.jpg
    After a long break with the OxygenOS, it feels so nice to get back again! Like that feeling you get when you reunite with your friend after a long wait! Hard to put into words, but you know what I'm talking about, right?

It has always been about the user with OxygenOS (and OnePlus) and OxygenOS 11 levels up the experience better than ever before. With the goodness of Android 11 and freshness of Oxygen, the experience is so so soo smooth.

If you're someone like me, who is moving from a device that didn't breathe Oxygen, and OxygenOS 11 made my transition hasslefree.
    Just a few taps on the screen, scanning QR codes, a short wait, and you're good to go!
    IMG1.1.jpg
    The first thing that captivated my heart as I migrated to OxygenOS was the animations on the stock wallpaper as I locked-unlocked the device. Kind of adds to a soulful experience to it, imo! I mean, just look at that.
    OOS_1.1.gif
    Its refreshingly simple yet bold design makes for a seamless user experience. Every swipe and tap is thoroughly smooth, and the improvised haptics add a lifelike feel to it! Minimalistic yet enriching, in all aspects.
    The cherry on the cake is the plethora of customizations one can do, thanks to the built-in features it includes.
    Right from accent color, to fonts and icon packs - everything can be easily done with ease without any third-party apps. As for the icons, there's a support for third-party icon pack as well which you can pick from the PlayStore.

SS_1.1.jpg
    Customization: Accent Color, System Icons, Icon Pack, and Font
    I certainly appreciated the customizations with the Always-On-Display which OxygenOS calls as 'Ambient Display'. Currently, there are 11 AOD clock face options to showcase anything from the time, date, and notifications to battery status, messages, screensavers, and more.
    As for the clock style on the AOD, there are three options to choose from: Default, Insight, and Text Clock. With 'Insight', you can track the number of times you unlocked the phone. It also presents a liner graph that maps itself according to the duration for which the device was used during the day acting like a subtle reminder to wind down on screen-time.

SS_1.2.jpeg
    In an era of digital space that's always buzzing, going offline is certainly a privilege. What the 'Insight' offers is only a sub-conscious solution to track smartphone usage. And that's not all. Apart from Google's 'Focus Mode' that is exceedingly liberal while you battle with 'to-use or not-to-use' urges, with OxygenOS 11, there's also the Zen Mode 2.0 that gives you the control to completely black-out digital 'distractions' off your phone. The 'Ground Zen Mode' is another addition to it where you can invite your friends and take some time off the phone, together.
    SS_1.3.jpg
    The Zen Mode 2.0 comes with five themes: Ocean, Space, Grassland, Star Trails, and Meditation Room, each with its own character to match your mood and help you focus on the task with utmost clarity by pausing the buzzes from the digital space.
    OOS_1.3.gif
    Once enabled, you're completely blocked from using the phone except for the camera, receiving incoming calls, and making emergency Calls. Takes strong willpower, I must say. There are 'Medals of Zen' which you can unlock as you practice 'Zen' to become a Maestro. Let's see how far can I go!

Further, to minimize distractions, there's an option to effortlessly separate notifications based on the app category using the 'Work-Life Balance' Utility.

SS_1.9.jpg
    Yes to 'live in the moment' with this one. :)

Work hard and play harder with OxygenOS 11. The Game Space does exactly that! It provides for an enhanced gaming experience by presenting all your games under one hood, offering stats, and other stuff. The Fnatic Mode supercharges the gaming experience to a whole new level through its optimizations on processing and by blocking unnecessary notifications. It's nothing like I've used before and must say, I'm extremely impressed.

Moving forward, I was really excited about 'Live Captions' ever since Google announced with the launch of Pixel 4. I finally had a chance to try it (OxygenOS's Live Captions) and it is one of the more innovative features I've come across yet: making the best use of Machine Learning to generate captions for offline and online videos! OxygenOS 11 has seemed to integrate it seamlessly and it works accurately, even on voice recordings. It can be easily enabled via settings or just by tapping on the on-screen icon right below the volume controls.

SS_1.7.jpg
    What more did I like? Well, the Bitmoji AOD (ardent Bitmoji fan here, btw)! But, sadly, it hasn't made it to the device yet and is scheduled to arrive via OTA in the near future. I was so looking forward to trying it out since I found out about it at the OnePlus 8T's launch event but guess I've to wait a little longer for that to happen. :(
    SS_1.4.jpg
    C'mon, just bring it already, OnePlus!

Speaking of OTA and software updates, I've already received three of them and it hasn't even been over three weeks since I'm on it. OnePlus seem to be working really hard in fixing minor glitches and make the experience optimized for good. Camera performance has improvided substantially with the recent updates and there have been improvements with UI as well. A work in progress is what OxygenOS is, constant improvisations and innovations based on user-centric feedbacks, something I very much appreciate OnePlus for.
    SS_1.8.jpg
    What's more with the OxygenOS 11 that delights me? The Dark Mode! I'm Lovin' it (Yes, my previous phone didn't have it, so it's kind-a the-next-big-thing for me)! It provides for a comfortable viewing experience and the AMOLED makes the black look dark and rich. So good to be finally able to use it! Making the transition from Light to Darkmode is fun as well on OxygenOS 11. The smooth animations at it, again! :)
    OOS_1.5.gif
    Also, there's Icon Manager which lets you hide most icons making the status bar clutter-free or as per your likening. Being away from OxygenOS for a while and sticking to EMUI, all of these little things make my experience with the device much more comfortable than before.
    SS_1.6.jpg

That essentially wraps my top favorite features of OxygenOS 11. I don't wanna get carried away and make it longer for there's still so much more to appreciate: the new design language aimed at better one-handed control, animations, gestures, amongst other stuff. Also, I don't want to spoil the experience for you if you haven't upgraded to OxygenOS yet. :)

To sum it up, I'd say,

'with OxygenOS 11, it is cherry on the cake with an extra layer of sugary icing on the top!'

With that, we come to the end of the series of experiments with OnePlus 8T with the summary remaining (up next)! How about a shot of the OnePlus 8T from my gallery before I wind up? ;)
    IMG1.0.jpeg
    Shoutout to my friend @SRD. for gifting me the coolest case ever designed for a OnePlus phone!
    The best gift my OnePlus 8T could ever get. Thanks a lot!

Feel free to drop your queries regarding OxygenOS 11, if you have any, or anything related to the OnePlus 8T in the comments. I'll see you there!

Attached Files:

KaranRIyer likes this.
  9. TheGadgetGirl

B008.png
    Hello and welcome to the final sequence of our experiments with the OnePlus 8T.
    I've been using it for over a fortnight now and I guess now is a perfect time to share my final word on the same (or, in other words, sum up what all I've been experimenting with it all this while *winks*).

The OnePlus 8T seems to strike-off all the right boxes from the list of what makes a good smartphone! It comes with a practical design, an incredibly smooth 'FHD+ 2.5D flexible Flowscape' display, ultra-fast charging speed (like never before), and a battery that is good enough for a day. The basics are perfectly assembled: design, display, and battery.

If the 120Hz refresh rate and 65W charging on the OnePlus 8T aren't enough to sweep you off your feet, there's the power of Snapdragon 865 for flagship performance! The devices come with up to 12GB of RAM (which is more than my notebook) and 256GB storage. The UFS3.1 adds an added advantage to achieve faster-than-flash read/write speeds. There's also a Multi-layer Game-grade Cooling System that ensures optimal performance even while engaging in graphic-intensive tasks. The device packs in a quad-camera array which seems to click photographs across all scenes (do check my camera review, if you haven't yet). A telephoto lens would have been a nicer option to have, but, nevermind!
    For a flagship device, the device lacks wireless-charging and an official IP rating. I'm personally not bothered about wireless-charging for I don't seem to mind the 'Warp Charge 65' at all :p. The lack of an IP rating slightly worries me o_O, but I think the device wouldn't be harmed with occasional splashes (and no, I won't try it for the Lab :rolleyes:)!

Coming to the software experience, OxygenOS takes care of everything to provide for the best possible you could ever ask for in a device that runs on Android. Built atop Android 11, OxygenOS 11 comes with a good deal of customizable features that make the UX much more personalized. The add-on utilities like the 'Zen Mode' or 'Work-Life Balance' takes care of your digital well-being better than a device running on vanilla flavor would!

Considering the India pricing, which is Rs 45,999 for the 256GB variant, the device seems to be absolutely worth it and offers a better value than counterparts at a similar price segment (even better than the 8/128 version of OnePlus 8T which is priced at Rs 42,999). Being 5G ready, you wouldn't even have to upgrade to a new one again when the 5G rollout begins. It's undeniably a keeper.:cool:

Well, if you'd ask me to rate the OnePlus 8T, I'd go with:

Design: 9.5/10
    Everything's good except ditching Jack!

Display:
    9/10

120 Hz. Super Smooth. What more could you ask for? A QHD, perhaps!

Battery Life: 10/10

You gotta be kidding if you ask why did I rate it 10 on 10!

Performance: 10/10

S E A M L E S S (and futuristic)

Camera: 7.5/10
    Well, a Telephoto wouldn't hurt or a 64 MP sensor, ...errr!

Software:
    9/10
    OxygenOS 11 atop Android 11. The best of world worlds is what it is.

No 10/10 because I can't use the Bitmoji AOD yet! :(

Overall:
    9.16/10

Averaging the scores above! :p
    It'd be interesting to find out what innovations does OnePlus brings with its next series for they seemed to have got pretty-much everything right with the OnePlus 8T (except for the Camera maybe, imo). An improved hardware on the camera module is my definite guess for the 9 series. What's yours?

Before I sign off, I'd like to extend my gratitude to the OnePlus team, @dsmonteiro, @Zach X., @Loren Z. & @Leo X., for choosing me for the Lab Squad and being very supportive throught the expedition. It has been an enthralling experience since the day I applied for the Lab to now, penning these lines few lines as I wrap up the 'experiments'... and I'm certainly going to miss it very much. :)

That's all, I guess. I'll see you in the comments. This is me, @TheGadgetGirl, signin' off.

Cheers.

#NeverSettle

P.S.: Don't forget to check out the reviews shared by @Shevon, @manuel19, @melihg98, @rbagdai, @Josh Kannenberg, @trackstarMKVIII, @Tamia76, @reallykunal and @kiratplusone (do not miss this as he takes you on a quest with his OnePlus 8T) for the Lab to know their thoughts on the OnePlus 8T.

Attached Files:

KaranRIyer likes this.
  10. Bittoo06
    Honeycomb Oct 26, 2020

11. SRD.
    KitKat Oct 26, 2020

12. Aditya Javadekar
    Jelly Bean Oct 26, 2020

Aditya Javadekar , Oct 26, 2020 :
    Excellently written! Great and relatable writing style. If I could criticise(very difficult), some part of the font is a bit hard to read on the Community app in dark mode.
    But I don't think many would face that problem.
    Again, well done and keep going!

TheGadgetGirl likes this.
  13. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Oct 26, 2020

luigimario , Oct 26, 2020 :
    Really nice product shots. Very impressive! (I suppose somewhat hypocritically I am the TL;DR type even though my reviews are really long. I skimmed it, but I liked it!)

14. TheGadgetGirl
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Oct 26, 2020

Gio567full, SRD. and puccellino like this.
  15. X1603141720046
    Froyo Oct 26, 2020

X1603141720046 , Oct 26, 2020 :
    There was no pedestal in my box...and NO clear case underneath the imaginary pedestal! All I got was a USELESS STUPID WATER BOTTLE! Keep your junk OnePlus and give me something worthwhile! Love the phone...HATE THE COMPANY!!!!!!!

16. IamIRONSman
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Oct 26, 2020

IamIRONSman , Oct 26, 2020 :
    Very nice and detailed review so far @TheGadgetGirl. The product shots are 🔥🔥🔥 which camera are you using to take them?

My only critique (you said you wanted them lol) is in your opening it says "I'm" instead of "I am".

17. Aditya Javadekar
    Jelly Bean Oct 26, 2020

Aditya Javadekar , Oct 26, 2020 :
    Trust the English to point out such mistakes XD

18. IamIRONSman
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Oct 26, 2020

19. GuitarBart
    Jelly Bean Oct 26, 2020

GuitarBart , Oct 26, 2020 :
    Well written and great pictures :). Already saw on the main thread from the lab that some reviews were delayed. Sometimes postal services can be very annoying

puccellino and TheGadgetGirl like this.
  20. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Oct 26, 2020

luigimario , Oct 26, 2020 :
    Nothing wrong with that as far as I can tell. "I'm" is just a contraction of "I am" and perfectly acceptable. Unless I missed the context?