The Last OnePlus Device : OnePlus 7T

1. SJBoss
    Lollipop Jul 15, 2020

SJBoss , Jul 15, 2020 :
    So, I was going to write an another rant thread how OnePlus changed over the years, In fact It's almost done and resting in my google keep (Yea, that's where I write stuff on the go) and Probably will stay there. Because as I was closing in on finishing and posting it, I kinda realised that I probably don't have to, to be honest ONEPLUS itself, in one way or another has been trying to tell just that, the updated VI being the most obvious one.

So Instead of going through all of the "happy times" and rage that I like to write about and some of you enjoy, I decided to write about the last device that launched with the logo and the spirit from 2013, The OnePlus 7T.

OnePlus 7T nearly a year old device still holds its grounds against newer flagships from other manufacturers as well as ONEPLUS's newest offerings in fact, I'd still choose 7T over any 2020 flagship (given I'm paying for what I choose) but what really sets it apart from the OnePlus device that came before it and the ONEPLUS devices that came after it? Here's a few things

The Price to Performance Ratio : words like "Brand loyalty" never had a place here on the forums, every OnePlus device was justified by "bang for the buck" rule and in a sense OnePlus 7T is the perfect example of just that, unlike it's predecessor the OnePlus 7 or even 6T for that matter. While 6T was expensive (for what it has to offer) the 7 was boring, it was just there for the sake of being there (uncanny resemblance to one of the newer device). 7T was a breath of fresh air, it brought down the price point and pumped up the spec list back to the flagship killer level.

The Least Controversial Device in Years :
    From OnePlus 6 and the infamous "embrace the notch" remarks followed by "Do you still like headphone jack" to (at that time) expensive Pro devices and the rather plain and boring OnePlus 7, almost every device had its share of controversy and that changed with the 7T. The only most talked about thing that people wasn't sure about was it's oreo shaped camera bump and to be honest if you ever used one, it wasn't half bad.

A Capable and Versatile Camera Setup : Camera isn't something OnePlus devices are known for and probably that's why camera taglines like "Dual Camera, Clearer photos" were short lived and the focus shifted to speed and smoothness, but OnePlus 7T improved in that area as well, with the 7T OnePlus parted ways with the weird depth sensing sensor on the non pro model and housed A wide, Ultra wide and Telephoto trio, an ideal camera setup as stated by many users here. Additionally, it came equipped with a Macro Mode and OnePlus even delivered the promised 960 fps slo mo.

There's a lot more that was great about 7T, a beautiful 90hz Amoled Panel, SD 855+ and on top of that base varient started with 8 gigs of ram and 128 gb of UFS 3.0 storage. all that at a price tag that no one could complain about.

OnePlus 7T marked end of an Era. We're yet to see how the new direction will work for ONEPLUS and hope for the best.

ONEPLUS is a lot different from OnePlus and finally, I'm here to make my peace with it.

If only ONEPLUS stops using the word "Burdenless" everywhere.

In a week or so Nord will be out, and I'd be lying if I said I'm not interested in it, Even though the name puts me off a little and the dual front facing camera isn't my thing (It messes with aesthetics). I'm really looking forward to the launch and I'll be sharing my thoughts on if it's really "a new beginning" or just an old formula of what works.

2. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 15, 2020

Dresa91 , Jul 15, 2020 :
    wow - honest words. Thank you for this thread! there are a lot of true aspects!

3. Batman360
    Lollipop Jul 15, 2020

Batman360 , Jul 15, 2020 :
    Nice one @SJBoss I am glad you chose to reminisce the 7T instead of another rant (maybe save it for Nord😝) .
    And yes the oreo shaped camera was in controversy for only a bit, it is a very good phone to buy till date.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020

4. Tobikage
    Nougat Jul 15, 2020

Tobikage , Jul 15, 2020 :
    You just want to try that burdenless feeling don't you ! :rolleyes:

5. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Jul 15, 2020

YRJ , Jul 15, 2020 :
    As a 7T user I cannot agree more with this.

Lots of devices will come and go, but trust me when I say this, the 7T will not be forgotten.
    I'd like to credit the design partly (eventhough it was received with mixed reaction) it was distinctive.
    It visually stands out. Show me one of these things after 5 or maybe 10 years and I will still easily recognise it. I said it in my review and I say it again, I never disliked the design and the Notch (oh my!) It still is one of the best teardrop notch implementation I have ever seen. 10/10 would pick this over a punchhole/pop-up!

Design is the silent ambassador of your product and no matter how controversial it may be, they got it right. This might just be my favourite OnePlus phone, yet.

A great shout out @SJBoss
    Well done :)

6. SJBoss
    Lollipop Jul 15, 2020

SJBoss , Jul 15, 2020 :
    Thank you for taking time to read it, really appreciate it.
    It only looked bad in pictures, at least to me.
    Either Burdenless translates to some ear pleasing sound in Chinese or they aren't paying enough to the people who came up with that.
    This. It might not be the best looking device, but it was easily distinguishable. I heard @Carl saying something similar about Nord's design in that MKBHD video. And I was like "really bruh?" :rolleyes:
    It really deserves that.

Swatiranjan, B_Wrath, Caomhin and 4 others like this.
  7. YRJ

YRJ , Jul 15, 2020 :
    I'll reserve my opinion on the Nord until I see it irl, but no, it cannot beat the 7T. Not happening :D
    The 7T is simply something else :cool:

I was reminded of you when I was reading the OnePlus Buds thread. They mentioned "Burdenless" 3 times :D

8. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 15, 2020 :
    always!:)

9. Tobikage
    Nougat Jul 15, 2020

10. SJBoss
    Lollipop Jul 15, 2020

SJBoss , Jul 15, 2020 :
    As shown in MKBHD video it looks like your average realme Device with a new colour. Slap a case and it's all the same.
    That's why I didn't even looked into that thread. But now that it's mentioned more time in my own thread... I might as well check that one.
    Not pre booking anything, even if I regret it later.

11. YRJ

YRJ , Jul 15, 2020 :
    Cannot disagree. It is a generic design but atleast it's not ugly. It's clean. Better than the 3 squared prototype xD

12. SJBoss
    Lollipop Jul 15, 2020

SJBoss , Jul 15, 2020 :
    That shows that at least they were willing to experiment, instead of going with what works... Which eventually they fell back to, to me that's disappointing.

13. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 15, 2020 :
    but it could have been unique, something else. Like the LG Velvet. Just stand out from the crowd ..

Swatiranjan, Tobikage, SJBoss and 4 others like this.
  14. Shubham_Ag.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 15, 2020

Shubham_Ag. , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 15, 2020 :
    Most of the points you mentioned are true and worth it!
    But seems you are disappointed from the inside and waiting for something magical from OP! Maybe the fact that they say New Beginnings, they really are sticking to their root values as advertised all over and hopefully would not give a chance to you to rant after the Nord launches [e]1f60c[/e]

15. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jul 15, 2020

Starcommander , Jul 15, 2020 :
    @SJBoss I read it completely...
    I bought it at the price of OnePlus 8 😭🥺
    @BeingIncog
    👀 How much were you paid to say this 😜
    Joking though. I am glad you realized it. I believe OnePlus took a step back after the 6T and realised it's mistake.
    Did you write this when you were drunk? 🤔
    Because you were never so sweet before 🥺

16. YRJ

YRJ , Jul 15, 2020 :
    I would have liked that. Yes.
    But you also have to take into consideration that the project was to be executed in 6 months. (as they claim it)

To modify the design so as to look different on the outside comes at a price. You have to rework on the internals and that I think is the tricky part. Smartphones are sophisticated devices. To be able to cram so much power and so many parts into such a small form factor is complex. If you are to mess with the outside that effects the inside too.

As much as I would like a fresh look, I think sometimes it's good to stick to what works.
    You can't do different just for the sake of being different. That's just how I think ;)

17. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 15, 2020 :
    yeah true.
    But that would have been courage. A real new beginning.

Swatiranjan, Tobikage, SJBoss and 3 others like this.
  18. YRJ

YRJ , Jul 15, 2020 :
    Indeed. #NewBeginning in the true sense.
    Btw, since you mentioned the Velvet, I wanted to ask, Do you like it? I mean it looks boxy to me. They should have trimmed the bezels a tad bit more I guess.

Swatiranjan, Tobikage, SJBoss and 3 others like this.
  19. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 15, 2020 :
    maybe they didn't want to reveal too much of the shape?

YRJ, Swatiranjan, Tobikage and 3 others like this.
  20. Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Jul 15, 2020 :
    Wow! ! I totally understand what you mean @SJBoss! I love this thread, congratulations 🎊. The OnePlus 7T is my daily driver and it's truly fast smooth and "burdenless" lol [e]1f602[/e] it's really "bang for the buck"! Know let's see with the OnePlus Nord if it becomes the new "bang for the buck "!

YRJ, Tobikage, Dresa91 and 3 others like this.