The Lensman's Journal: A year with One Plus 6

1. S.Ghosh
    Gingerbread Apr 15, 2020

S.Ghosh , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Disclaimer
    This is not a regular monthly thread.
    Please don’t post your pictures in this thread.

Hello Community

I am Somjit Ghosh, from INDIA. I am 27 years Old

I am what you would call a street photographer; I like to roam around the streets of Kolkata and try to capture various frames around the city.

My interest in photography was roused ever since I learnt to use my father's analog Kodak KB10 camera. As a child, watching my father's interest in photography helped me nurture my own. At present I am a self-employed businessman and have been pursuing photography as a hobby for nearly 3 years. In the midst of the daily toil of the market, while being engaged in my family business, photography brings me my most needed respite. Capturing the ordinary life around me, in its extraordinary beauty - that's what makes every day worth it. I have always wanted to tell stories, be it my own, or of the places I go to. Pictures are what I use to weave them. Having turned the dream into passion, although I experiment with multiple devices, yet I try to retain in myself the child-like wonder from my Kodak days.

With my One Plus device, I have forayed into the area of smartphone photography. I am currently using ONE PLUS 6 MIRROR BLACK. What can I say I really love the colour output of the images I shoot on my smartphone. I am in love with this beast of a device. Every day.

Two of my photographs have been featured on the OnePlus Instagram page even and one of them even helped me win a Shot on One Plus March contest held in March 2019.

One of them I will be sharing here today.

Apart from that, today I will share some of my pictures I shot on my One Plus 6 on the theme of Structural Photography.

dd.jpeg

Everywhere around us there are definite patterns which convey different aesthetic values that often tell more about our history and culture. I have always been interested in the idea of Architectures as they do tell a story, be it about Heritage or modernization.

My city, Kolkata was a colonial city under the British Empire. Kolkata was the capital of the British empire until 1911 after which the capital was relocated to Delhi. As the erstwhile capital of the nation, Kolkata has many buildings were erected by the Brits. Those buildings stands tall even today in their full glory and marvelous architecture. Marvels that instantly takes us back in time

Let me share my experience, how do I look for structures in photography?

1. Defining the subject– I look for shapes and patterns in the subject

2. Visualize structure– I try to see how the different parts within the visual space of the image come together. The more you observe the more you will realise that complex scenes are actually made up of a lot of simple lines and structures.

3. Simplification – I experiment with my shot before taking the photo by adjusting the contrast, exposure and shutter speed to bring out the story they tell.

Here are some of the shots taken from One Plus 6

Rabindra Setu (Howrah Bridge)

IMG_20190611_175649-Edit-2.jpg

IMG_20180809_143208-Edit.jpg

This bridge is currently the sixth-longest cantilever bridge in the world, connecting the cities of Kolkata and Howrah and has been in numerous films like like Satyajit Ray's Parash Pathar (1958), Richard Attenborough's Academy Award winning film Gandhi (1982), Mira Nair's film The Namesake (2006) to name a few.

Be it sunset or photographing cloudscape, architecture of this beautiful yet busy bridge adds a definite aesthetic value to the surrounding nature.

Vidyasagar Setu

IMG_20180817_175617-Edit.jpg

IMG_20180817_175953-Edit.jpg

Each time I visit this place it turns out to be a photographer’s delight. At almost any time of the day with the ever changing colours of the sky this bridge looks gorgeous. It almost looks something out of a painting, a pleasing scenery.

Did you know this bridge is one of the Longest Cable-Stayed Bridges in India (approx. 2700ft) which took nearly 22 years to be completed ?

Metropolitan Building (Kolkata)

IMG_20190723_155705-Edit-2.jpg

This building was built in 1905. After Independence, the Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. assumed ownership, so people know it more commonly as Metropolitan Building. This former department store of Kolkata aspired to be a civic landmark at par with Government House and the Victoria Memorial. Occupying one of the city's most prominent intersections, this neo-baroque emporium with domes, clock tower, and arched recessed windows exemplified fashionable shopping during the British Raj.

Victorial Memorial (Kolkata)

stock-photo-jewel-of-my-city-284990247.jpg

The Victoria Memorial is a large marble building in Kolkata built between 1906 and 1921, dedicated to the memory of Queen Victoria, then Empress of India. It is now a museum and tourist destination.

I love this place because of its unique blend of British and Mughal elements with Venetian, Egyptian, Deccani and Islamic architectural influences in the Indo-Saracenic revivalist style. It makes me wonder how efficient people were back then when they had to carve out such beautiful structures out of slabs of marble without the help of modern machineries.

Featured On Instagram Page of One Plus

Everyday In my city

IMG_20190223_163022-Edit-2.jpg

This picture won the ShotOnOnePlus March contest held in 2019 and has been featured on One Plus Instagram page on 12th April 2019

Link as on Instagram page of One Plus:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwIZkLeHejF/
    I will be posting more such photographs on my Instagram profile.
    @thelensmansjournal

N.B: This thread is the first one of a kind. As I am relatively new to the spectrum of photography I would really love to have your reviews, critiques, opinion regarding my work, it would help me to improve...

I would like to thank @script and @cdnfarmer for helping me in clearing few doubts I had regarding creating this thread. I Hope you will like it. Thank you for your help

If you have enjoyed these photographs, leave a comment below.
    Also let me know if I should come up with more such threads.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020

2. script
    Moderator Moderator Apr 15, 2020

script , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Wow, what a great thread. Thank you very much, super nice pictures! Also congratulations for being featured in the official OnePlus sites! Wonderful success, and you are even „relatively new“ to photography. True talent, it seems.

Good luck,

Greetings, Script

TibiTibi, woSch, buntycubal and 2 others like this.
  3. S.Ghosh
    Gingerbread Apr 15, 2020

S.Ghosh , via OnePlus 6 Mirror Black , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Thank you so much [e]263a[/e]️, I will be coming up with some more threads in near future. I hope you will like them too.

buntycubal and script like this.
  4. cdnfarmer
    Junior Moderator, Photography Expert Junior Moderator Apr 15, 2020

cdnfarmer , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Very nice pictures and thread. Appreciate it describing or giving a story. Congrats on being featured on the OnePlus instagram page

buntycubal, script and S.Ghosh like this.
  5. S.Ghosh
    Gingerbread Apr 15, 2020

Thank you very much, [e]263a[/e]️. The feature happened over a year ago, but it still feels like yesterday..

buntycubal likes this.
  6. cdnfarmer
    Junior Moderator, Photography Expert Junior Moderator Apr 15, 2020

cdnfarmer , Apr 15, 2020 :
    @S.Ghosh Those are beautiful pictures. I do remember looking at your pictures this past year. I really like the pictures of Vidyasagar Setu and the people on the boat. Here is a suggestions, you can put the pictures as full image instead of thumbnails... not necessary but easier for people to see at a quick glance. And please put a space (2 enters) between pictures. It makes a big difference.

buntycubal, S.Ghosh and script like this.
  7. S.Ghosh
    Gingerbread Apr 15, 2020

Thank you for the suggestion, I will do that for sure in my next thread [e]263a[/e]️

script, buntycubal and cdnfarmer like this.
  8. airmotovlogs
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2020

script and S.Ghosh like this.
  9. S.Ghosh
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2020

S.Ghosh , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Thank you :)

script likes this.
  10. airmotovlogs
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2020

11. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Apr 21, 2020

B.I.T.S. , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Hey @S.Ghosh it's a nice thread, great collection of images and experience. :)

As minimal details to improve (this is just my opinion and point of view...), I find some things a bit misleading. At first, I thought it was something more specifically phone related, then I realized it was about photography regarding the phone and then it was your shots, your experience shooting them and the history about the places. Not saying that's bad, at all, just saying that my first impression was something different.

Also when you define yourself as a street photographer my idea was something completely different! Probably we have different definitions of it, but I'd call those photos you presented as architecture photography or even city landscapes.

Again, this is just my opinion. My advice is that next time try to be more concise and keep in mind what you want to tell and transmit to others so the idea will be more clear!

TibiTibi, script and S.Ghosh like this.
  12. S.Ghosh
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2020

S.Ghosh , via OnePlus 6 Mirror Black , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Hello @B.I.T.S. Thank you for your views. Yes this particular thread doesn't show my street shots.

Actually I have a collection of images currently which I wish to publish by creating different threads and grouping them under a common theme. This thread was all about Architectural Photography, I have mentioned the topic while explaining the pictures. Today I will give 6 different of pictures under a different theme, where you might find some of my street shots.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020

TibiTibi, script and B.I.T.S. like this.
  13. S.Ghosh
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2020

S.Ghosh , via OnePlus 6 Mirror Black , Apr 21, 2020 :
    I will slowly put up all my street shots accordingly clubbed together under different themes. Maybe I should have written the threads' heading more appropriately. I will keep that in mind in my next thread. I hope you will like it.

script likes this.
  14. hennes
    YaImCo Developer Apr 21, 2020

15. S.Ghosh
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2020

script and hennes like this.
  16. hennes
    YaImCo Developer Apr 21, 2020

hennes , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Sounds good, looking forward to it.
    Btw. congratulations on winning the second week, great job.

script and S.Ghosh like this.
  17. S.Ghosh
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2020

script and hennes like this.
  18. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Apr 21, 2020

B.I.T.S. , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Ah, okay! Sounds great :)

19. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert May 4, 2020

S.Ghosh likes this.