The Lensman's Journal: Play with Perspective

1. S.Ghosh
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2020

S.Ghosh , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Disclaimer
    This is not a regular monthly thread.
    Please don’t post your pictures in this thread.

Hello Community,

Hope you liked my previous thread titled "The Lensman's Journal: A year with One Plus 6".
    Today I will share some of my pictures I shot on my One Plus 6, where I tried to play with Perspectives

Round and Round we go (Cropped)-01.jpg

The Best thing about being a Photographer is the Freedom to express. The reality might be the same but each one of us has a different way to view or express it. Because of which perspective is a vital aspect in Photography.

The basic definition of Perspective is that it refers to the dimensions of the objects and the spatial relationships between them. It also refers to the position of the human eye in relation to the object(s) of the image.

To summarize, perspective is the viewpoint which gives meaning to your frame. Pretty unique things usually come up when you start to play with your viewpoint.

The techniques we adopt to judge the specific viewpoints to frame the specific subjects varies from person to person. However there are a few pointers I would like to share with you, which I believe are the basics one need to consider.

1. Recognising the Environment : The Photographs we take are 2D translations of 3D settings. When you are clicking a natural setting, there would be elements which would be nearer or farther away from the object. You can use these kind of elements to give a 3D reality to the 2D image.

Nakhoda Masjid.jpg
    Titled: Nakhoda Masjid, Shot on One Plus 6

2. Leading Lines or Patterns: Human eye judges distance by way of lines and planes that converge at an angle. This is known as linear perspective. In other words, lines which are parallel to each other, or overlapping patterns, when seen from a great distance seem to converge towards a vanishing point. It gives a sense of a depth in a frame.

Golden Bridge.jpg
    Titled: Golden Bridge, Shot on One Plus 6

3. Play with your perspective: You know what would be fun? Distorting reality. Yes it's possible. Like in two of my photos, I have used water as a reflecting surface and positioned my smartphone in such a way that the upper half of the frame is reflected on the lower half, inverted. Pretty much looks like travelling towards an alternate reality.. Maybe Upside Down? ( i am a fan of Stranger things)

Maidan Stories.jpg
    Titled: Maidan Stories, Shot on One Plus 6

Parallel Universe.jpg
    Titled: Parallel Universe, Shot on One Plus 6

4. Get Closer: There are patterns in everything, even in the daily household items. Like this shot a of Lamp I have clicked in here. I got as close I could get and then made sure that the bulb look like a circle and the patterns surrounding it also lined up in a circular motion. The entire frame looked unique.

Look into the EYE.jpg
    Titled: Look into the EYE, Shot on One Plus 6

Featured On Instagram Page of One Plus

Round and round it goes!

Round and Round we go (Cropped).jpg
    Titled: Round and Round we go!, Shot on One Plus 6

This was my first picture that has been featured on One Plus Instagram page on 20th December 2018

Link as on Instagram page of One Plus:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrnQBcpBiVf/

I will be posting more such photographs on my Instagram profile.
    @thelensmansjournal
    N.B: I am relatively new to the spectrum of photography I would really love to have your reviews, critiques, opinion regarding my work, it would help me to improve...

If you have missed my previous thread. Here is a link to it
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/the-lensmans-journal-a-year-with-one-plus-6.1213371/

Last, but not the least, I would like to thank @script and @cdnfarmer for their constant support for my work. Thank you @B.I.T.S. for providing some pointers regarding writing a better thread.

If you have enjoyed these photographs, leave a comment below.
    Also let me know if I should come up with more such threads.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020

2. cdnfarmer
    Moderator, Photography Expert Moderator Apr 21, 2020

cdnfarmer , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Very nice thread. Yes definitely use what is around you ... Often there are neat perspectives. With alot of the multi cameras OnePlus phone s, reversing the phone upside down gives a different perspective. 😉

TibiTibi, script and S.Ghosh like this.
  3. S.Ghosh
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2020

S.Ghosh , via OnePlus 6 Mirror Black , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Yes Exactly. If one can play with Perspective it gives a unique composition to the frame, which really makes the Photography game interesting. [e]263a[/e]️

TibiTibi and cdnfarmer like this.
  4. script
    Moderator Moderator Apr 21, 2020

script , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Fantastic thread once again. Thank you very much for your input and insides.

Best wishes, Script

TibiTibi, cdnfarmer and S.Ghosh like this.
  5. S.Ghosh
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2020

S.Ghosh , via OnePlus 6 Mirror Black , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Thank you so much [e]263a[/e]️ And Thank you for your support..

TibiTibi and script like this.
  6. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert May 4, 2020

cdnfarmer and S.Ghosh like this.
  7. S.Ghosh
    Gingerbread May 4, 2020

TibiTibi likes this.