The M1 & the Future of Mac

1. Liehjan
    Marshmallow Nov 25, 2020

Liehjan , Nov 25, 2020 :
    The M1 looks promising, but I will hold on to my hard earned cash until software developers catch up to the move to ARM based... Will probably buy when M2 comes out

2. Zeaiclies
    Honeycomb Nov 25, 2020

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020

G_plusone and YRJ like this.
  3. Vickyahir
    Cupcake Nov 25, 2020

4. Liehjan
    Marshmallow Nov 25, 2020

Liehjan , Nov 25, 2020 :
    Also, apple has intentionally had under performing cooling in their Macbooks for years... Just to make the M1 look better than it might be...
    I mean, they sell a 1500€ macbook air here where I live, where the heat sink and cooling fan isn't even connected to each other

G_plusone and Zeaiclies like this.
  5. GokulLee
    Gingerbread Nov 25, 2020

6. OmarRolon
    Honeycomb Nov 25, 2020

7. Parth dhoni
    Gingerbread Nov 25, 2020

Parth dhoni , via OnePlus 7 , Nov 25, 2020 :
    I am a huge fan of Qualcomm and Snapdragon. My next PC will be an Acer Spin 7 2020 with 8cx Gen 2. I hope Apple Silicon can help me and Qualcomm too.

E1586264380487 likes this.
  8. Debtanu Ganguly , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 25, 2020 :
    I think it will take a lot of time for developers to accept the M1 as many tools and functionalities are not working with the M1 but running seamlessly with the Intel based Macs.
    Any developers out here?
    What do you think ? 😃

9. Texasaggie1
    US Brand Ambassador Nov 25, 2020

Texasaggie1 , Nov 25, 2020 :
    I love this article! Nice work!!

I'm a mac user but I'm also a lover and a hater. I can see through all of their smoke and mirrors. 90% of everything apple says or does is smoke and mirrors. BUT THE M1 IS REAL. It is the first Apple thing I have been looking forward to in quite a while. I'm really excited about it! Can wait to get my hands on a mac with an M1.

suhantm likes this.
  10. prfraczek
    Honeycomb Nov 25, 2020

11. ajmms1999
    Gingerbread Nov 25, 2020

12. suhantm
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 25, 2020

suhantm , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Nov 25, 2020 :
    You do realise that most OnePlus employees use Mac products right? 👀 Even at the official stores...

13. SeaRefractor
    Gingerbread Nov 25, 2020

SeaRefractor , Nov 25, 2020 :
    For those that are concerned that one will jump from OnePlus to Apple, I'm not. However, my McLaren edition 7T Pro 5G looks stunning with the Apple M1 MacBook Air. Just to show that I'm basing my information in this thread on actual product. The two monitor bases in the back ground are for my DaVinci Resolve PC workstation in the background. So it's easy for me to compare my projects on both devices.

Attached Files:

14. SeaRefractor
    Gingerbread Nov 25, 2020

We are talking about shipping products. The article you refer to is using diamond as a replacement for silicon in the wafer manufacturing process. Granted this will be amazing, but it's not a specific processor and the new wafer tech would certainly benefit Apple, AMD and Intel. No one has exclusive access to Diamond in the manufacturing process.

So the revolution will be when a future Apple M(series) CPU, AMD, Qualcomm, Samsung or Intel CPU actually uses this substrate.

That's like me saying the quantum computing processor based on sub molecular manufacturing that is smaller than an atom and exists on quantum scale for the quantum computing will make everything including a Diamond CPU look like total garbage. And we'll be using it on planets outside of our solar system. REVOLUTIONARY!!!
    Quantum sized Quantum Computing processors FTW!! w00t!

megatomic likes this.
  15. SeaRefractor
    Gingerbread Nov 25, 2020

I expect it will. Not directly, but that competition will say "hmm, huge monolithic instruction set CPU's, ala x86, just don't compete with RISC (reduced instruction set computing) like the highly successful ARM based processors in a highly unified memory buss". Qualcomm Snapdragon, Samsungs SoC's, all of these are based on ARM.

Microsoft sort of went this direction once with Windows R/T and an ARM base Surface R/T tablet on the launch of the Surface series a while back. The problem was the coding/translation process was poor enough regular Microsoft apps tanked. It wasn't a flaw in the technology, just a miss-step that eventually shelved Windows R/T. If Microsoft looked into the Rosetta 2 translation Apple uses, a possible Windows ARM re-release may be successful as developers move to the newer trend.

Intel and AMD both have the resources to make this pivot and in a couple years be suppliers to Apple again instead of in-house M1 style. Who knows? May even have the resources to figure out a interconnection technology that allows un-paralleled highspeed access to the memory bus and same dram cell locations. Would allow AMD, Nvidia and other GPU makers to have discreate parts that access the unified memory bus and give us the advantages of UMA and still have interchangeable parts.

16. Zeaiclies
    Honeycomb Nov 25, 2020

Zeaiclies , via OnePlus 8 , Nov 25, 2020 :
    Yes exactly right.
    I never said it the technology would be exclusive to anyone and yet Apple has not shown any interest in it but Qualcomm has. said:

Quantum computing could make everything obsolete.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020

GeNiUs5 likes this.