The Marketing Problem.

1. TrevinD
    Honeycomb Jul 29, 2015

TrevinD , Jul 29, 2015 :
    I find it really interesting, the marketing side of this whole ordeal that is, on how OnePlus has treated the advertisement of their new phone.

I've been thinking about it a lot and I feel like OnePlus's whole spiel was that they were the only people covering this "flagship killer" market. That's why the invite system worked so well for the OPO and why they had so many sell! People wanted the phone, there weren't many other options and the fact that it was exclusive gave people a huge ego boost when they finally got an invite. OnePlus was like a "god" and they were the only ones who could give us their "riches."

I don't think this will work this time around... If OnePlus wants us to "work" for the phone they are only going to find out how quickly we can turn on them. We have other options this time! They may be slightly different but any "complex" OnePlus has (e.g. the slogan "never settle") that insinuates the OPT is superior will make us want to prove to them how it is, in fact, not.

I really feel for OnePlus though! I want them to succeed. But at this rate they are going to need to comment and humble themselves. They're probably going to have to start giving our invites ASAP and treat their customers/fans like royalty.

This time around it's not a privilege to get an invite, it's a nuisance.

What do you guys think about this whole ordeal and how do you think OnePlus can come back from this release that is so far spiraling out of control?

MrMegaPerson, MMC49X, p51d007 and 2 others like this.
  2. astman
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2015

astman , Jul 29, 2015 :
    I would like a Oneplus two but the time im not sure if the time i put in is worth it. I have already began to look for alternative e.g. moto x

3. SESHER
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2015

SESHER , Jul 29, 2015 :
    I agree with you. They might come back, but they should really do their best for it.

4. mznpopman
    Honeycomb Jul 29, 2015

mznpopman , Jul 29, 2015 :
    Invites aren't rolling uut as of now. Try not posting these threads before tomorrow, becasue tomorrow is when they are holding their first contest and when we get a taste of how much stock they actually have of the OP2. And please use the search button before posting the 100th thread on this subject today. Also, you aren't really working for an invite this time around if you just put your name on the list and are an early supporter.

astman and MrMegaPerson like this.
  5. Nokapz
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2015

Nokapz , Jul 29, 2015 :
    I've already switched. OPO served it's need and was a first in the market. There are too many budget flagship competitors, I whole heated believe this will be the last phone OnePlus puts out. Too many sacrifices that the budget competition doesn't have. Making it $400 and including oh I don't know, NFC, a 2k screen and wireless/fast charing! Would have been fine by me to have to pay a bit extra for those features. And I don't want to hear "IT'S A BUGET PHONE" Moto x has done it so theres no excuse now.

blasphemy101 and TrevinD like this.
  6. nilrb
    Jelly Bean Jul 29, 2015

nilrb , Jul 29, 2015 :
    Don't you think that OP is doing just great!!
    Even in absence of any ad, they could enrol so many ppl within two three days & the list is growing by the minute n success that follows.:rolleyes::p

7. SESHER
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2015

SESHER , Jul 29, 2015 :
    Like you said. The invite system makes it to hard to basicly get a phone that's allready on the market, but only under a different name and price tag.

True OnePlus fans however will do everything to get hold of an invite, and I too will do my best. I'm staying loyal to OnePlus.

astman and TrevinD like this.
  8. HR_778
    KitKat Jul 29, 2015

HR_778 , Jul 29, 2015 :
    I agree. But remember it'll be easier to get the invites. We'll see in the first contest how true that statement really is but I have faith in OnePlus.

9. Uncoloredpoem
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 29, 2015

Uncoloredpoem , Jul 29, 2015 :
    Okay guys we get it. Not everyone is impressed. This may be how you feel but not how everyone feels.

10. Uncoloredpoem

11. TrevinD
    Honeycomb Jul 29, 2015

TrevinD , Jul 29, 2015 :
    This post wasn't about my "feelings." This post was about an observation I've had. I'd still like the OPT if I could get my hands on one.

12. Uncoloredpoem

Odds are you will as they ramped up production of this year's model

13. TrevinD
    Honeycomb Jul 29, 2015

TrevinD , Jul 29, 2015 :
    I do hope so... Shipping times are a ***** though. 3 weeks? Damn...

14. Uncoloredpoem

Where does it say that??!!!!

15. TrevinD
    Honeycomb Jul 29, 2015

TrevinD , Jul 29, 2015 :
    They mentioned that it would take 2-3 weeks to process and ship out after you purchase it with an invite. I think they actually build the device during that period of time. :/ Fly through hoops for this phone. Haha

dpapadojhu likes this.
  16. MaxLikesTurtles
    Jelly Bean Jul 29, 2015

MaxLikesTurtles , Jul 29, 2015 :
    We've always had other options. For me, the OPO was more of a gateway to other high quality cheap phones, which have been there before the OP even existed. I just found out about them after the OPO.

17. dpapadojhu
    Froyo Jul 29, 2015

dpapadojhu , Jul 29, 2015 :
    Ok to be honest I have started looking elsewhere also. There are great options yes, but still not really at the $320-$380 range unless they are pre-used phones. *if I'm wrong here please correct me, I'd love to explore other bang for the buck phones. As of right now, I will still buy the OP2. Waiting is a good thing for me because I do not want to rush the decision of buying a phone that I will have for the next 3-4 years. I guess waiting can benefit me also by waiting for other people to review the phone once they get their hands on. I jumped on these forums late into the game so I am hoping the earlier members that get their hands on first will help me make my decision in the next few months.

brauliojaen likes this.
  18. brauliojaen
    Eclair Jul 29, 2015

brauliojaen , Jul 29, 2015 :
    I hope 1+ avoid this invitational model for following releases. It creates quite 'hype", however it can backfire if demand is not satisfied on time. Too much competition to play this silly game.

TrevinD likes this.
  19. The Judge
    Honeycomb Jul 29, 2015

The Judge , Jul 29, 2015 :
    This court would like to remind you you can't make observations, as you call them, about the nuisance of invites when they haven't even been launched yet.

You are found guilty of witchery, because the observations you claim require psychic abilities.

You have made a farce of this judicial system.

domitian likes this.
  20. TrevinD
    Honeycomb Jul 29, 2015

TrevinD , Jul 29, 2015 :
    I agree wholeheartedly.