The most UNIQUE music app for Android...

1. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jun 2, 2020

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Jun 2, 2020 :
    As someone who owns multiple devices, I look for specific things when investing/ installing an app. The most important criteria for me is to use apps that are device independent/ platform independent. There are two very important reasons/ advantages with this approach:
    1. Your work is always in sync among your devices.
    2. You are NOT tied to any platform/ ecosystem.

The Google Play Store has tens of thousands of music apps that offer many different features, some of that are useful, and some are pure fancy stuff. But the most important feature for a music app is its ability to organize your music library! Yes, I didn't say sound quality because if you have a good pair of earphones/ headphones, your music will sound good even with the stock audio engine.

For those who don't know, there are two types of music apps. One that uses stock media database, and another that builds its own database from your music files. Apps also may choose to either use the stock audio engine or come with their own proprietary audio engine (some like the one below provides both options - you can install their DSP plugin if you want it, and its free).

My search for a proper music app for Android ended here (after 8 years of using smartphones):

PlayerPro (Free)
    PlayerPro (Paid)

If you are someone with a lot of personal music collection, this is the app for you. But for you to make the best use of it, your music must have proper metadata. By that I mean correct entries for Artists, Album Artists, Genre, Composer, BPM, Grouping, Comment, Track number, Disc number, etc. All of these metadata can be edited using any Desktop based software (preferably) like iTunes, MusicBee, mp3tag, etc. Once that is sorted, just copy the files to your phone and see the magic happen!

Their latest version (v5.13) has added support for most of the metadata, and the same can be edited to generate smart playlists automatically based on user defined criteria. Smart Playlists are the most underrated feature of music apps, and there is NOT a single app (other than PlayerPro) that has a true smart playlist feature. With this feature, you don't have to create a playlist manually by adding songs one by one (the other disadvantage is that with this practice, you can't export the playlists to other platforms). Instead you edit the metadata of your music file (the app supports that too), and the app would automatically add it to the appropriate playlist. As a bonus, the edited file can be simply copied to other devices (including on other platforms) and the songs will be automatically added to the appropriate playlists in those devices as well (of course, you have to set them up once).

The developer is top notch too and super responsive to any requirements you may have.

buntycubal, Venky61 and BeingIncog like this.
  2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jun 2, 2020

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Jun 2, 2020 :
    No need anymore to connect your phone to your laptop, and then run a sync with your Desktop based music manager. You can now simply copy your music files (wirelessly) to your music folder on the phone, and the app will take care of the rest.

3. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jun 3, 2020

Venky61 , Jun 3, 2020 :
    I have been using this App from the last 6-7 years and though many suggested Poweramp, I still come back to this one. Very user-friendly, lots of themes available, edit & organize metadata, Equalizer. The only reason I even try other music apps is, the design, which could be improved in Playerpro.

4. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jun 3, 2020

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Jun 3, 2020 :
    For some reason (and I think it is because of Viper on my phone), Poweramp doesn't play music well on my device as there are frequent distortions/ disturbances. And with Viper installed, I don't need another Equalizer.

As with aesthetics/ UI, it is least important for a music player because much of its use will be in the background. That is not to say that UI can't be improved. PlayerPro has a dated UI, just like Neutron & PowerAmp. But what they did with the latest update v5.13, they have just hit the ball out of the park.

There are some minor bugs and I am sure they will be addressed. I can't believe that there is ONLY one music app among tens of thousands on the Google Play Store that supports true smart playlists. I have been searching for one for a very long time and very happy I finally found one.

Venky61 likes this.