The OnePlus 5T – How 18:9 Screen, Back Fingerprint Scanner and Face Unlock Come Together

1. Louis S.
    Product Manager Staff Member Nov 20, 2017

Louis S. , Nov 20, 2017 :
    forum-big.png

Hi all,

I'm the product manager for the OnePlus 5T. I'd like to talk about some of our decisions for this device. Specifically, how we came to combine the 18:9 Screen, Fingerprint Scanner on the back, and Face Unlock. With every product decision at OnePlus, we look at how features will affect other components, and how these additions will impact the overall user experience.

For the OnePlus 5T, we used an 18:9 Full Optic AMOLED display. We took our time on this decision. We needed to get the screen right before adding it to the OnePlus flagship experience. The benefit of going from a 16:9 to an 18:9 aspect ratio is significant. User viewing experience for games and movies would be more immersive. There would be a 12.5% percent increase in screen area and reduce distractions on the front. We could have increased the size of the phone or gone bezel-less on the front, but we wanted to keep the same form factor that had worked well with the OnePlus 5. So, we moved the finger print scanner to the back. In past flagships, we felt strongly about keeping the fingerprint scanner on the front. This placement was intuitive to our users. You could unlock your device rapidly and easily, without picking it up from a table. But then, we improved our facial recognition technology enough to provide an interesting solution to improve user experience: double tap and unlock with a face scan.

The fingerprint scanner on OnePlus devices is well known for its speed and accuracy. On the OnePlus 5, we clocked fingerprint scanner unlocking speeds at 0.2 seconds. Face Unlock would have to be impressively fast and accurate. Using our best practices from our fingerprint scanner development, we optimized the speed of Face Unlock through repetitions of testing. We kept adjusting until we whittled the total process time to 0.4 seconds in our tests. The fastest time we clocked for the recognition scan was 0.07 seconds. Face Unlock on the OnePlus 5T is now one of the fastest available on the market.

For Face Unlock, we used an algorithm that relies on over 100 facial identifiers to detect your face. We tested it through all the scenarios we could think of: facial expression, lighting, accessories, makeup, hairstyle. We tested with different photos and held them at different angles. By release date, Face Unlock on the OnePlus 5T has a 99% success rate from eye and nose area scanning. It works whether you are wearing glasses or a hat. Face Unlock won't work while you are sleeping. That said, facial recognition technology on any device is not as impenetrable as fingerprint scanning. There are workarounds. But we’ve make some tweaks to ensure to make getting past the facial recognition algorithm is difficult, tedious, and time consuming. One of these is a passcode verification process, which kicks in if the scan mismatches repeatedly. We’ve also reserved Face Unlock for device unlocking, relying on fingerprint scanner for other security operations.

The processes described above are only a partial look at the copious amounts of testing we do for each flagship release. We bring each iteration as close to perfection as possible, taking into account past UX findings. We wanted to give you a bigger screen and more immersive experience, but without compromising what we believe needs to be a fluid experience. That's why we worked on Face Unlock. If you have any thoughts on our decisions on screen and scanning technologies, we’d appreciate the chance to hear them.

2. puma95
    Jelly Bean Moderator Nov 20, 2017

3. keithnyc
    Lollipop Moderator Nov 20, 2017

4. An.I.Am
    Jelly Bean Moderator Nov 20, 2017

An.I.Am , Nov 20, 2017 :
    I really want to try that face unlock, let's see if it's better than the 10 :p

5. kingkw
    Froyo Nov 20, 2017

kingkw , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Can we talk about the real question everyone has why 18:9 and not just 2:1... Overall these design changes just affirmed my decision to buy my first One+ device tomorrow. I cant see any negatives here honestly.

6. stickynotes
    Froyo Nov 20, 2017

orIMkD and maronszili like this.
  7. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Nov 20, 2017

dsmonteiro , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Are you considering bringing Face Unlock to previous models?

8. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Nov 20, 2017

BobbyV8_ , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Face unlock is pretty vulnerable as a photo can unlock the device. I expected you guys to make it more secure & work better

9. BobbyV8_

We already have it on the 3/3T & 5 :eek:.

Is this sarcasm!!!

10. dsmonteiro

The same reason people say 21:9 and not 7:3. It helps comparing with the standard 16:9 ratio.

11. dsmonteiro

You don't. Google's Trusted Face ≠ OnePlus' Face Unlock.

I thought so too but I was wrong.

nemani22, allaz, OrinZ and 20 others like this.
  12. Himalaya Dave
    Honeycomb Nov 20, 2017

Himalaya Dave , Nov 20, 2017 :
    That's the relevant question as expected .

crzfyr, M. Elmaleh and vasu97 like this.
  13. ScorpioPirate
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 20, 2017

ScorpioPirate , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Sounds great :)
    So let's see if I deside to dump my belove OnePlus One to this new 5T ;);)
    But a' great phone yes, it's really a' "Android Flagship"
    Greethings from Denmark :D

OrinZ, M. Elmaleh and Fc København like this.
  14. sfomin
    Nougat Nov 20, 2017

elroyclark, Joyyy, chirururu and 7 others like this.
  15. BobbyV8_

Got the 5T?

M. Elmaleh likes this.
  16. dsmonteiro

Or with that magic kid that unlocks his mom's iPhone X.

17. dsmonteiro

M. Elmaleh and Salt505 like this.
  18. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 20, 2017

youbi , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Yeah, and actually its a question I'm sure many will ask, if its dependent only from software, or it uses such specific hardware (making it impossible for older devices).

I bet that at least tomorrow on the AMA there will be lots of talk about it. :sweatsmile:

rva, luxuskamel, script and 2 others like this.
  19. timmanna
    Donut Nov 20, 2017

20. dsmonteiro

Carl said on Twitter that there are hardware limitations that make it impossible. Since both the OP5 and OP5T share the same camera sensor, I can't really see why.

rva, M. Elmaleh, techygeek and 2 others like this.